WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Silverado side door moldings

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
My truck is getting older and the miles just keep climbing, but when it comes to the maintenance and the up keep on her I don't cut any corners. I try and detail it every 2 weeks. But I've noticed each time that the door moldings are starting to look "burnt". They started out just a little off yellow but are now almost turning into a brown. The truck is a white 1500. Really bugs to see the freshly waxed bright white paint with the ugly door molding up against it. I've searched on here and many other forums but couldn't find anything to help get them white again. All I was able to find was to just remove them which I really don't want to do. Does any one here have the same problem? And if so what was your solution? I've tried multiple different waxes, clay bar, rubbing compound etc. it just doesn't seem to budge. Any info or help is much appreciated!

I will take some more pictures tomorrow and post them for you guys to see but this is the only one I have on my phone right now. They have gotten worse since this picture was taken.

Attachments

• IMG_7475.jpg
    IMG_7475.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 51

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Remove them. Looks WAY cleaner without them. I convinced my dad to do it on his other trucks after years of telling him to do so. Once he did he said he shoulda done it years ago. Looks 10000x times better.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Remove them. Looks much nicer without them and cleaning the truck is much easier without them as well.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Remove them. It looks way better without them... [emoji41]

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
I was really hoping to not remove them but it doesn't sound like anyone here really has any ideas as in how to get them clean. I really want to try everything before removing or painting them. If it comes down to it, what is the best way to remove them?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I would remove them using dental floss to cut through the adhesive, then follow up with an adhesive remover that is safe for clearcoat.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was really hoping to not remove them but it doesn't sound like anyone here really has any ideas as in how to get them clean. I really want to try everything before removing or painting them. If it comes down to it, what is the best way to remove them?

Heat gun or blow dryer and then adhesive remover and your good to go.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Dental floss or fishing line to get them off and then a 3M eraser wheel to remove the adhesive.

[video=youtube;HHKN5_UfDik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKN5_UfDik[/video]

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
Thanks guys. As said before I try and keep the truck as clean as I can. But it is still 10 years old. Are the chances high that the paint under the moldings will look different since it hasn't been in the sun for 10 years like the rest of the truck? Would hate to pull them off and then still be able to see where the moldings used to be.

Wadernation

Reaction score
Thanks guys. As said before I try and keep the truck as clean as I can. But it is still 10 years old. Are the chances high that the paint under the moldings will look different since it hasn't been in the sun for 10 years like the rest of the truck? Would hate to pull them off and then still be able to see where the moldings used to be.

i pulled mine off with a heat gun then the 3m wheel like someone posted. But at rare times (and i mean at like a 30 degree angle, at 5:17 pm, looking through my legs) i can see the outline of the where it once was. For the most part you can never tell. mine is an 2006 and i probably removed them in 2012 or so.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
I haven't seen a solution other than get a new set.

As posted above peel them off or cut out with fishing line then remove adhesive with a 3m type wheel. Bar-none the best way to remove the glue off is the wheel!

I stripped mine off after year 8 or 9 and they look perfect underneath - you could never tell they were on for that long (e.g. discolored underneath). GM white as well.

sirbob

Reaction score
I've used plasticoat products to refinish plastic parts on my cars / trucks.

I have only used the black but if they have your color it will look like new when your done.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Happens on most gm trucks/suv's with white or champaign color. The clear oat gets burnt. Repaint or remove are your only 2 solutions. I have the silverbirtch (champaign). So far ive not had this issue but its gonna happen someday. My extenda-mirror rubbers are shot tho & the molding around my windows is buckling :grumble:

rvrrun

Reaction score
Have the wrapped in prism or carbon fiber.

Definitely heat gun/fishing line then clean up the leftover adhesive.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
My 2008 was SilverBirtch mattalic and did the same thing only a lot worse. Had them repainted wasn't a big deal at all.
Can be painted without removal. Had no more issues.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My 2008 was SilverBirtch mattalic and did the same thing only a lot worse. Had them repainted wasn't a big deal at all.

What did you paint them with.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
You could always buy replacements from GM. Remove old, install new. Probably cheaper to paint existing though.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Same here - '08 in silver birch metalic. We used a company here in Phoenix called TouchUp Guys. I think it was about $250 to have them color match and repaint.

I'd like to remove them, but fear that there will be a color difference in the paint from the sun.

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
I'm going to order the 3m eraser once my shoulder is up and running again. But I start to question if I should just sell or trade her in. She just hit 140k and for the boat I plan to eventually buy I'd like to have a diesel anyways. Miles seem to scare people but I haven't had One single problem with the truck. Every day she fires right up and drives just fine. Also with only 5-6 months left until I get the pink it will be really nice to have ZERO payments on anything. Ughh decisions decisions! [emoji30]

Same here - '08 in silver birch metalic. We used a company here in Phoenix called TouchUp Guys. I think it was about $250 to have them color match and repaint.

I'd like to remove them, but fear that there will be a color difference in the paint from the sun.

That is my biggest worry is to have the paint seem different. But from posts earlier it seems like if the truck was maintained that it shouldn't be an issue. And another $250 doesn't sound horrible to have them painted but at the same time it's still another $250 lol.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I just picked up a 03 Chevy - champagne color a few months back, for my kid that totaled the white one he had :D
Can not tell where they were after removed, no noticeable color variation
IMG_8555.JPG
IMG_8703.JPG