WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Simplifying and downsizing...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have always paid used car prices for my new cars. When I bought my 16 Ram, I had been looking for 3 years for a used Duramax or Cummins with low miles and in excellent condition. I was finding 10 year old trucks with 100k+ miles for 35k. No thanks. Anything in like new condition was more than I paid for my new truck. This was pre- covid pricing of course, but it still applies today. And the truck was worth what I paid for it when I sold it earlier this year. My 07 Silverado, 11 Tahoe, and 19 Tahoe before that, same deal.

I purchased my Tacoma earlier this year, same situation, I got my new truck for less than the used trucks I was looking at. I just went in to trade it for the same truck but with manual trans, and they gave me more on trade than I paid for it 3 months ago. You only pay sales tax on the difference in price, so I won’t pay any.

Now, if you’re walking in without doing your research, knowing the interest rate you qualify for, and knowing what to pay for a vehicle, you will absolutely overpay. I’ve never done that. And I’ve walked out of plenty of dealerships that didn’t want to deal.

I spent years wrenching on cars, bikes, equipment, and anything else with an engine both for work and for fun/ necessity. I no longer enjoy it. Sure, I’ll wrench from time to time, when I feel like it, in my garage, on my timeframe, because I want to, but my days of fixing a piece of shit car so I can get to work or school in a driveway, parking lot, job site, etc, are done. I find a competent dealer service department, use their service specials, and have them do my service while under warranty. After warranty I do the service myself at home. Other than oil changes, tires (from discount) and upgrades(that I install myself) I haven’t paid a dime on vehicle repairs for over 10 years.

Sure, I could save a little by buying a used car with an unknown service history- I find most people don’t maintain their vehicles- and I’m OCD about it. But I’m not Dave Ramsey, and I enjoy having a nice vehicle. To each their own.

In a year or two, when the market cools down, I will start shopping for a used C5-C7 vette, and try to find something like @was thatguy drives. That triple black vert is beautiful. And vettes are one vehicle that is usually well maintained by the owners.

It also amazes me how bad most people thrash their vehicles. I keep mine in like new condition, no eating, smoking, no trash inside, dash and seat covers, etc. I can’t count how many 2-3 year old used cars I’ve looked at that were trashed inside. Carpet stains, worn seats, etc.

Absolutely!
Agree on all counts.
I’m too old for projects.
When I say “used” I mean 1-3 years old.
Trade in’s.
The ‘14 Camry I bought new was cheaper than the used 1-3 year olds that met my criteria. (Miles and condition)
My late wife did not want a V6 or any trim package. She liked plain white Camrys.
Well, the plain Jane white 4 banger was sitting there all alone and begging for a home, and cheaper than the used ones, so I bought it for her.

But yes, it’s amazing the damage people do to cars in a short time.
Mostly neglect and plain old slobbery.
I also have a full rack of bling products and keep my interiors as new.
My daughter is the opposite. (38 years old)
I can not even sit in any of her cars.

badgas

Reaction score
Sure, I could save a little by buying a used car with an unknown service history- I find most people don’t maintain their vehicles- and I’m OCD about it. But I’m not Dave Ramsey, and I enjoy having a nice vehicle. To each their own.

Dave Ramsey has well over a million dollars in vehicles. People always miss that when he says " Don't go in debt to buy cars "

Congtrats on your new life direction.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My boat is 42 years old.
732772B0-F25F-445F-84BF-15BADA947D1F.jpeg
B977DBE9-DF7F-44F6-84DB-6D2F14EB2E72.jpeg

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Absolutely!
Agree on all counts.
I’m too old for projects.
When I say “used” I mean 1-3 years old.
Trade in’s.
The ‘14 Camry I bought new was cheaper than the used 1-3 year olds that met my criteria. (Miles and condition)
My late wife did not want a V6 or any trim package. She liked plain white Camrys.
Well, the plain Jane white 4 banger was sitting there all alone and begging for a home, and cheaper than the used ones, so I bought it for her.

But yes, it’s amazing the damage people do to cars in a short time.
Mostly neglect and plain old slobbery.
I also have a full rack of bling products and keep my interiors as new.
My daughter is the opposite. (38 years old)
I can not even sit in any of her cars.

Looking at used cars on and off the past couple of years, I'm thinking could you at least make an attempt? Clean the empty vups and burger wrappers out and Empty A Full Ash Tray:oops:

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Looking at used cars on and off the past couple of years, I'm thinking could you at least make an attempt? Clean the empty vups and burger wrappers out and Empty A Full Ash Tray:oops:

P.S.!! I am Always Sad and thinking whenever I read one of your Posts that mentions and relates to "DEB" in any way what so ever. Then when leave the Post come across someone bitching about one of the "MILLIONS" of insignfigant Things People Whine about, when an incredible Devistating and Life Changing event as you have experienced with her and then this Past Year as just more "Kicker".
I do think of you often and Pray for your "Peace"

Such an overused statement = "The Little Things"😌

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Can you expand on what type of property you have now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My property is small by some standards, but being born and raised in SoCal, to me it it's still "big". I have a ten acre parcel, that is all flat/ usable. The water comes from our own well...if I could afford it, I'd love to do an off-grid solar setup...still beyond my means, so still "plugged in".

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I've been 100% debt free for over 5 years now. Retired with a decent income.
Nice little house on 5 acres, big shop, a couple garages and I continue to build small sheds (well, on hold because of lumber costs :mad: ), bunch of cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractor, etc. The boat is a '78.

I went through a period of selling a few cars because, more stuff = more problems but according to my friends, I'm an autoholic and can't stop buying cars that I like. Plus, it's part of my anti-inflation strategy. Figure I buy the stuff I want now because over the next few years shit's going to go crazy up in price.

It's very smart for you youngers guys to live debt free because as the years go by you will accumulate wealth and then when you are old you can pay cash for the toys you want and will have more time to enjoy them. 👍

bonesfab

Reaction score
The only Payments I have are home loans. The newest car I own is from 1988. I leased one new car and it was fun but I enjoy my old stuff. I am over depreciating assets. I don't mind the projects. I am actually working on the road race camaro that I got from @Tio Pancho here on the boards and putting it back together for street use. I admit a lot shit sits but it's paid for and there when I want to play with it or sell it for some quick cash. And with inflation coming I would rather have hard assets than cash .

dribble

Reaction score
In 2009, I bought a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with 21,000 miles for 27K cash. Nothing had ever been hauled in the bed. It belonged to the daughter of the owner of the dealership. 12 years and 100K miles later guess what it's worth. We just bought a 2017 Jag XF 3.0 supercharged to replace the one that was totaled in the collision. Car has 20K miles and is literally perfect. Window sticker on this car was $66,700. With a two year factory Certified used warranty we paid $31,500. There are plenty of people out there willing to take that kind of a hit. I've never been one of them. I did buy my boat brand new 19 years ago but I got it for 9K cheaper than the normal price. I still have it and people ask if it's brand new. If I do buy something new it's because I plan on keeping it a very long time.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
P.S.!! I am Always Sad and thinking whenever I read one of your Posts that mentions and relates to "DEB" in any way what so ever. Then when leave the Post come across someone bitching about one of the "MILLIONS" of insignfigant Things People Whine about, when an incredible Devistating and Life Changing event as you have experienced with her and then this Past Year as just more "Kicker".
I do think of you often and Pray for your "Peace"

Such an overused statement = "The Little Things"😌

Thank you, but you know, life is what it is.
We had some great years together!
Lived like wanna be rappers!
I could have been all conservative and saved and been better off now for sure, but that’s ok.
She had a lot of fun with me, and I her.
Most people don’t get to have that at all, so I’ll take those years gladly and I know she’s lobbying for me up there!
I told her “I don’t have a golden ticket like you do, you gotta do what you can to get me in...”

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Generally speaking toys don’t bring happiness but I would say they can provide experiences and memories that aren’t replaceable..

ive never much cared if someone had a old day cruiser or if they have one of the latest exotics, it doesn’t make much difference to me so long as the beers cold..

This website has people from every walk of life, from guys saving up to buy their first jet ski to people that could literally buy and sell every single person on this site and not notice it in their bank accounts.. lol

I did laugh at the “rdp starter pack”. I didn’t see a sxs or off road toys on the list so I’m gonna say you were almost all the way there.. ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
After thinking about this for a second.. I’m gonna revise my thought process.. Long Travel brought me happiness.. lol. Having grew up off-roading and then finally getting into long travel cars, everytime I drive one it brings a smile to my face. :D

badgas

Reaction score
I've been 100% debt free for over 5 years now. Retired with a decent income.
Nice little house on 5 acres, big shop, a couple garages and I continue to build small sheds (well, on hold because of lumber costs :mad: ), bunch of cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractor, etc. The boat is a '78.

I went through a period of selling a few cars because, more stuff = more problems but according to my friends, I'm an autoholic and can't stop buying cars that I like. Plus, it's part of my anti-inflation strategy. Figure I buy the stuff I want now because over the next few years shit's going to go crazy up in price.

It's very smart for you youngers guys to live debt free because as the years go by you will accumulate wealth and then when you are old you can pay cash for the toys you want and will have more time to enjoy them. 👍

This is Wisdom.

I love hearing from wise people with experience.

Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The toys or other cool stuff can bring happiness, but there are so many levels for each person. I grew up in a nice area, Pops busted his ass. We didn't have boats or bikes. We'd gone to Laughlin a couple times, parents would give us coins for the arcades, see cheap movies and eat. I had friends with toys. Most lived in homes that weren't as nice as what I grew up with. In my youth, I didn't get it. Why they could have toys, and we didn't.

Enter first home. Then the lights came on. If we'd had those toys, probably wouldn't have had the home I grew up in. I still have the SeaDoo my wife bought the summer we got married. It's a 95, bought in 2000. Cut and polished it two weeks ago, with the 94! Both got new seat covers too. The skiis are older than my kids, but still make them laugh and smile.

We downsized from a 4000sqft house on a 1/2acre. 40ft toyhauler and F550 went away. I had worked so hard to get them and pay for them, I never used them. I only saw my house after the sun went down, and rarely saw my kids for more than a few minutes at night.

Everyone needs to find their own balance. What hours to spend where and with who they want. My home isn't much more than a shack compared to some of what I've seen here, or even lived in, but I'm a happier person, and the family is doing good.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I did the same thing end of summer last year and while it sucks sometimes, not worrying about river pad, river pad insurance, river spot lease, boat, wave runners, toy box, rzr, 2-3 golf carts, golf cart batteries, a/c units service, storage payments for everything, insurance payments of 50-60 bucks on each item every month, maintenance of all the toys, water softener payment, 400-800 in gas a month in summer, dealing with shitheads, ceramic coatings, detailing rig from desert runs, getting roofs redone, hangovers, cable bills, internet bills, going to river instead of doing other things because your paying for all this stuff you have to use it does get old. The worse thing of them all, the 5 hour drive twice a weekend and the effort it takes to get all the shit out for 2 days. When I retire I will rethink my river game, but for now using a friends place for a couple days a few times a summer in the good weather months will get me by, time to go do some other things.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
The toys or other cool stuff can bring happiness, but there are so many levels for each person. I grew up in a nice area, Pops busted his ass. We didn't have boats or bikes. We'd gone to Laughlin a couple times, parents would give us coins for the arcades, see cheap movies and eat. I had friends with toys. Most lived in homes that weren't as nice as what I grew up with. In my youth, I didn't get it. Why they could have toys, and we didn't.

Enter first home. Then the lights came on. If we'd had those toys, probably wouldn't have had the home I grew up in. I still have the SeaDoo my wife bought the summer we got married. It's a 95, bought in 2000. Cut and polished it two weeks ago, with the 94! Both got new seat covers too. The skiis are older than my kids, but still make them laugh and smile.

We downsized from a 4000sqft house on a 1/2acre. 40ft toyhauler and F550 went away. I had worked so hard to get them and pay for them, I never used them. I only saw my house after the sun went down, and rarely saw my kids for more than a few minutes at night.

Everyone needs to find their own balance. What hours to spend where and with who they want. My home isn't much more than a shack compared to some of what I've seen here, or even lived in, but I'm a happier person, and the family is doing good.

Peace Is Priceless 😌

Your ad here

Reaction score
You'll enjoy this new program. With an RV house you'll slowly fill the garage over time. Having all those toys, payments or not, are fun but a burden at the same time. Not having a payment makes things easier when the checking account gets thin.

WTF is with the buy a used truck and save $$$ explanations. What's wrong with buying a new truck?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I’ve already got the next chapter planned out. I’m going to do a mild build on the Tacoma with the help of my 9 year old, and start exploring and camping the southwest, beginning with AZ. When he can reach the pedals I’ll teach him how to drive a manual and he can start getting some seat time offroad. By the time he’s 16, it will be a perfect first truck. I’ve already started to let him get involved in parts selection and the planning process. And he knows if he keeps his grades up and his behavior good, that the truck is his once he’s old enough. I’ve already started explaining proper lines on the trails and such- I would let him sit on my lap and drive our SxS all over when we still had it.

And I’m not going to quit going to the lake, still have my fishing gear, just grabbed some paddleboards, and I still have friends with boats, lol.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
WTF is with the buy a used truck and save $$$ explanations. What's wrong with buying a new truck?

Some people don’t want to take that giant depreciation hit the first year, especially people who like to trade out and trade up to a newer vehicle every couple years it just doesn’t make sense.

I am myself like ordering and buying new because I keep shit forever and depreciation doesn’t matter to me personally. Maybe not smart from a financial standpoint but it is what it is. 😊

evantwheeler

Reaction score

I bought a used truck for $12k from a member here and bought a used boat for $20k with the savings from not buying a new truck. I put the $1000 monthly nut that would be a new truck payment/used boat payment into an investment account. If the music stops, I won't be scrambling for a chair to sit in. Do what makes you happy :) If the advice helps a young person make a wise financial decision for their future, its worth putting in the 2 cents IMO.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
My property is small by some standards, but being born and raised in SoCal, to me it it's still "big". I have a ten acre parcel, that is all flat/ usable. The water comes from our own well...if I could afford it, I'd love to do an off-grid solar setup...still beyond my means, so still "plugged in".

I too born and raised in SoCal. Where is the 10 acres

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I too born and raised in SoCal. Where is the 10 acres

11 miles N/NE of Prescott Valley "proper". Getting busier here though, and prices out of hand. Saw yesterday a property down the road listed for 399k. It's a single wide on 10 acres, not fenced. It's a nice single wide with rv hookups and a nice deck, but I don't know if it's 399 nice. We'll see.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
11 miles N/NE of Prescott Valley "proper". Getting busier here though, and prices out of hand. Saw yesterday a property down the road listed for 399k. It's a single wide on 10 acres, not fenced. It's a nice single wide with rv hookups and a nice deck, but I don't know if it's 399 nice. We'll see.

"YES" = The Jury Is Out!!

badgas

Reaction score
Ha. I was going to say: maybe so, but that's his limit.

Then I remembered he just bought another ATV, so I guess not.

If 17 is a rookie number then i'm a real whimp 😂

I think the most I ever had was 10 engines to keep up. The RV, Gen, 4 quads , SXS, 3 vehicles.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If 17 is a rookie number then i'm a real whimp 😂

I think the most I ever had was 10 engines to keep up. The RV, Gen, 4 quads , SXS, 3 vehicles.
Now, are we talking motors, or motors in vehicles? On the same property, or in total :oops:

NicPaus

Reaction score
I did the same thing end of summer last year and while it sucks sometimes, not worrying about river pad, river pad insurance, river spot lease, boat, wave runners, toy box, rzr, 2-3 golf carts, golf cart batteries, a/c units service, storage payments for everything, insurance payments of 50-60 bucks on each item every month, maintenance of all the toys, water softener payment, 400-800 in gas a month in summer, dealing with shitheads, ceramic coatings, detailing rig from desert runs, getting roofs redone, hangovers, cable bills, internet bills, going to river instead of doing other things because your paying for all this stuff you have to use it does get old. The worse thing of them all, the 5 hour drive twice a weekend and the effort it takes to get all the shit out for 2 days. When I retire I will rethink my river game, but for now using a friends place for a couple days a few times a summer in the good weather months will get me by, time to go do some other things.
You know you miss it :). Your buoy was empty and looking lonely yesterday. I have been doing other things every other trip as the GF wants. Makes our River trips look cheap. Hotels and AirBnb plus fees are crazy. 2 nights is more than all my monthly payments are for the River. Nice Hotels are 1 night equivalent. That's within driving distance. Add plane tickets and trips over seas 1 trip is more than the yearly.

badgas

Reaction score
Another angle on this topic is when is the time to simplify ?

It would be intersting to hear the ages of those wanting to trim down.

I'm 52 and need to down size from our primary Residence. Been here 22 years and collected way too much stuff. The house is way too big for two or three people. I always tell my wife " we have to do it someday " 50's 60's 70's 80's after we die ? I don't want to leave my kids some heap of junk with 5 bedrooms and a garage and attic full of crap.

I feel like making things run smooth and simple now will be easier later in life or after life. Don't get me wrong ! I'm not preparing for the rest home 😂 but for "ME" I like the idea of small house ( big garage) that is easy to maintain, a simple boat and SXS/Jeep a few mountain bikes / paddle boards and that is it.

The more stuff = more time and money to keep it up. Time is your ONLY resource that you will never get back.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

I'm 52 and need to down size from our primary Residence. Been here 22 years and collected way too much stuff. The house is way too big for two or three people. I always tell my wife " we have to do it someday " 50's 60's 70's 80's after we die ? I don't want to leave my kids some heap of junk with 5 bedrooms and a garage and attic full of crap.

I feel like making things run smooth and simple now will be easier later in life or after life. Don't get me wrong ! I'm not preparing for the rest home 😂 but for "ME" I like the idea of small house ( big garage) that is easy to maintain, a simple boat and SXS/Jeep a few mountain bikes / paddle boards and that is it.

The more stuff = more time and money to keep it up. Time is your ONLY resource that you will never get back.
I went from big (by my standards) house, new trucks and toyhaulers, to redneck world and bigger shop(paid for) at age 36. Probably too young, but I was already becoming a pissed off, bitter old man! I was going to be in prison, and my wife and kids homeless. I needed to leave the rat race for the betterment of my family life.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

No plans to downsize until later in retirement as long as were healthy and active. When we retire in 6 years we plan to rent out our primary residence in SoCal and use the proceeds to pay for travel during the summers and then stay at our Havasu House in the winters for 5+ years then re-evaluate where were at. We are starting to go thru our garage and attic now to get rid of stuff we don't use anymore before retirement. It's a huge undertaking after being in the same house for almost 25 years! My thought is - If you haven't used something in 2 years you probably don't need it anymore!!! So it either goes to ebay, goodwill, or the dumpster. 🤪

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I do envy those that have a plan. I was never that smart nor prepared. I've just been the "pull the lever" type. So far, so good. Fewer levers to pull now.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Everybody has a plan make money early in life take care of kids college buy some property and toys . There is a lot fake money on this board my saying if you are out bragging about finances and thinking day to day about making more your growth pattern is not working stay healthy

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Everybody has a plan make money early in life take care of kids college buy some property and toys . There is a lot fake money on this board my saying if you are out bragging about finances and thinking day to day about making more your growth pattern is not working stay healthy
"Health" is really the only thing worth a shit. Health=Time...we cannot buy either, regardless of money, either real or imagined.

badgas

Reaction score
No plans to downsize until later in retirement as long as were healthy and active. When we retire in 6 years we plan to rent out our primary residence in SoCal and use the proceeds to pay for travel during the summers and then stay at our Havasu House in the winters for 5+ years then re-evaluate where were at. We are starting to go thru our garage and attic now to get rid of stuff we don't use anymore before retirement. It's a huge undertaking after being in the same house for almost 25 years! My thought is - If you haven't used something in 2 years you probably don't need it anymore!!! So it either goes to ebay, goodwill, or the dumpster. 🤪

I love this plan ! We are pondering a similar path. I could pull the trigger now but need to get into that attic 😬

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I love both of those quotes, but they sound like vintage wisdom. Any idea who said them first? I'd love to use them for writing prompts in my classroom.
Definitely not Confucius. :p He is the hole in toilet paper smelly fingers guy.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. My grandmother lived in a double wide in Prescott for 20 years and I visited her several times or picked her up and brought her out to Havasu. Always enjoyed the downtown and people. I have heard the same regarding Prescott and the Valley really taking off price wise and just not near the affordability it used to offer. Great area to get away from the low desert heat.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. My grandmother lived in a double wide in Prescott for 20 years and I visited her several times or picked her up and brought her out to Havasu. Always enjoyed the downtown and people. I have heard the same regarding Prescott and the Valley really taking off price wise and just not near the affordability it used to offer. Great area to get away from the low desert heat.
Timing was everything for us. Things tanked here before SoCal last time. I picked up a bank owned stick built for 160. Dumb luck, but worked out real well.