WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Since we have the brag thread how about the how the hell did I survive that.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Or other Stupid things I can live to tell about.
and since pictures are worth a thousand words

1628207090478.jpeg
1628207113420.jpeg
1628207141982.jpeg

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I had a splinter in my thumb. :p Actually got hit by a drunk driver so hard in Golden Valley my battery was hanging by one cable over the fender. My beloved 1978 oldsmobile 98 luxury sedan. Was in such shock they told me all I was looking for was my Ozzy tape. Remember those cassette holders you velcroed to the visor? This was December 30th. Told the gf at the time let’s go to the river tonight to avoid the drunks on New years eve. This was 1983. Have pictures but they are actual pics in a box.

4CE7A192-9278-4CA9-9985-E40A66896465.jpeg

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Have no pics...was in ICU for a few weeks. Cartwheeled a crew cab dually and got a helicopter ride out of it...
Came closer than most...Death's door, knocking loudly....

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
No pics but when I was around 12/13 I was with my mom in a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. An illegal immigrant ran 7 consecutive stop signs, t-boned us...we spun and flipped 2x. My mom shattered several bones, my knee was destroyed. The truck caught on fire and my mom was knocked out. Idk how but at that age I got out with a broken knee...pulled my mom through the window. The EMT who arrived first is a friend of the family to this day. The truck was engulfed by the time fire/ems/police arrived. If I hadn't done what I did my mom would not be here with us today. I think its a lot of the reason we are extremely close and do a log of business dealings together as well to this day. I received a proclamation from the governor, and the BSA award for Heroism...one of only about 1k that had been awarded at that time...around 20 years ago.

I survived a scaffolding collapse in Hawaii with a major TBI at 19...if it wasn't for the navy divers training nearby I would have probably drowned/died. I have some lingering issues from this one and it killed my military desires...but I survived.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Kinda hard to see. Blew this gas tank up while pretty much standing over it. It was in a t-bucket but that got pretty blown up too. First words out my mouth “ there goes all the profit in this job”. Buddy took me to the Er to get some stitches and got a job out of the ER doc. He is still a customer to this day. Funny how things work out.
0B857D70-D67A-4350-ACE8-884399B9A9C8.jpeg
A50E965D-7C9E-4B88-9E38-62927B6B5A41.jpeg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see. Blew this gas tank up while pretty much standing over it. It was in a t-bucket but that got pretty blown up too. First words out my mouth “ there goes all the profit in this job”. Buddy took me to the Er to get some stitches and got a job out of the ER doc. He is still a customer to this day. Funny how things work out. View attachment 1034281 View attachment 1034282

Put dry ice in them to expel any vapor. The dry ice will push the vapor up and out.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Put dry ice in them to expel any vapor. The dry ice will push the vapor up and out.

oh I am educated on tanks now. That was a tank that was empty for 3 months. I took one 10/32 screw out of the sending unit for a ground wire and used a bbq lighter for a piece of shrink tubing. Kaboom. No flame just boom.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
oh I am educated on tanks now. That was a tank that was empty for 3 months. I took one 10/32 screw out of the sending unit for a ground wire and used a bbq lighter for a piece of shrink tubing. Kaboom. No flame just boom.

That’s a big boom for a piece of shrink tubing 😂
You’re lucky to walk away with just stitches.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A guy I worked for took a new tank, scribed and cut a hole for a pick up. He used a rag with acetone to wipe away the Dychem.
The next step was lighting off the tig :oops: Lots of gauze and 2nd degree burns...

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Not looking for a pat on the back.... but 34 years of firefighting career... there were times....

On a different note.... seen somethings that happened to others... one of the most incredible ... a convertible corvette... top down crashed and flipped wheels in the air... FLAT IN THE DIRT.... wasn’t looking forward to what it was going to look like under that car.

unbelievable it landed right over a hole for a future tree... two people perfectly okay except for ANTS that were attacking them... their heads were below grade... amazing. A lucky day for them. Single vehicle, driver ran out of talent.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I ate I really fucking hot pepper once thinking it was just a jalapeno.

May have been intoxicated and then got even further inebriated by drinking a lot more real fast to cool my mouth!

Pretty crazy I Know 😂

HotRod82

Reaction score
Fuck this thread.......I don't wanna even think about it. Car wrecks, one bad motorcycle wreck, weeks in the hospital,
nothing compared to the FAL pointed at my face in Baja at 3am. I shouldn't still be here, try every day to forget, so I'm gonna go stick my head back in the sand.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Mother fucker door dinged me the other day.:mad:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I was sick with what I thought was the flu for 2 weeks. Went to urgent care 3 times, told to go home and rest. Ended up being an access. Went to kaiser, got hospitalized with a hear rate of 140bpm due to infection making me septic. 1 surgery to drain access turned into flesh eating bacteria and 2 additional surgeries. Almost lost my leg. Lost 35lbs in 2 weeks. Finally fought the infection off but kidneys weren't working properly due to all the medicine and ivs I was given so stayed in hospital for 8 days.

Oh and I lost my insurance on day 3 😁

Kaiser gave me back door treatment by sneaking me into the office for 6 months of wound care with no paper work because they didn't want a lawsuit.
Screenshot_20210806-062401_Facebook.jpg

USMC2010

Reaction score
In college I managed a 25 yard outdoor swimming pool. Shallow end was 3.5'-5' then a sharp drop off to 12'. It had a low diving board and a high board, about 3 meters. We had all of the spring set out of the high to reduce injury possibilities. Even set that way, if you knew how to, a good bounce could be had. My friends and I used to have competitions to see who could get close to the rope from the high dive and at the 5' cutoff, then shallow dive under. I had what felt like a very good launch but was coming in to flat, I piked just a little and shot like a dart through the water and hit my head hard in 6' depth. I would up with 18 stitches across the top and down the side of my head, it left a wicked scar. Doc said I was lucky to have even survived and my wrestling neck was probably what saved me.

Last edited:

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Yeah we could put together a kick ass demolition derby crew!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
This one wasn’t too bad but years later still paying for it in the neck and back. 🤦 keep in mind this was 6 months after my big accident with my family. 😳😳

RCDave

Reaction score
I was late season skiing at Squaw Valley. The night before, it snowed about 6". I was up on KT-22 skiing a very steep pitch when the slope started avalanching.

The slide was over my boots, then over my knees, then hips....I was going down big time. I kept my speed and was turning into the hill toward some trees and a rock outcropping. Made it over just in time and stood there watching the slide below me.

Took a while for my heart beat to slow and to get down the hill and change my underpants. lol

Wedgy

Reaction score
Wrecks. F U up. No pics, too many to count. Last 2 did me in. Worked through the attempts at rehab, for 2 years. Not happening. Oh well.

Fun career, no worries. Life happens. Glad everyone made it!

3rd surgery, from latest wreck. 2009 Knee scope.. Anesthesiologist questioned Doc, Doc sez, " We'll do it my way..." Woke up during, laid there watching instruments on TV monitor. Piped up, "Hey wow! Looks like PacMan!" "

Dr. Gives Anesthesiologist dirty look, I'm OUT...