WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sinner's Question...Older Seadoo Motor

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We have two "antique" Seadoos. They have 587's in them, and one lost compression last week. Now, my knowledge of two strokes is limited. I understand the premise, but really never gutted one. Will a top end kit solve the issue on these things? There are kits available everywhere, and not too pricey.

I know, "boating site" and I'm asking lake lice questions. Wife likes the olds school skiis, not fast, but slide and you don't stay dry. At the price these old shit boxes are bringing, figuring just fixing. Happy wife...well, you know.

Ok, flame away!

TrollerDave

Reaction score
We have two "antique" Seadoos. They have 587's in them, and one lost compression last week. Now, my knowledge of two strokes is limited. I understand the premise, but really never gutted one. Will a top end kit solve the issue on these things? There are kits available everywhere, and not too pricey.

I know, "boating site" and I'm asking lake lice questions. Wife likes the olds school skiis, not fast, but slide and you don't stay dry. At the price these old shit boxes are bringing, figuring just fixing. Happy wife...well, you know.

Ok, flame away!

sinner. 😈
The Highway To Hell has its own Sea Doo lane.
😁

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Ok, flame away!

Bore/hone cyls, champher ports, new pistons and gaskets. Check crank bearings(most likely roller(ball bearing) bearings, rod play(up and down), thrust washers.. 2 stroke cranks are fairly easy to rebuild(the true and weld is the most important part) if needed. Add new crank seals and you should be good for another lifetime.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Tear it down. Remove cylinders / pistons.

As others have said check rods for play up and down, let us know what you find.

If you are lucky it will be new pistons / rings and a hone.... unlucky? New head, crank, bore cylinders...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, I'm hoping lucky. Well, as lucky as a guy with 2 20 plus year old Seadoos can be. The motors sound pretty identical...the bad one idles lower now, makes no power and stalled out if you let the rpms fall to low. On the trailer, compression was down about 70ish psi.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Sbt engines has remanufacured 587s for $635. Long time ago I bought one of their engines when my super jet got submerged in a bad way

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sbt engines has remanufacured 587s for $635. Long time ago I bought one of their engines when my super jet got submerged in a bad way
Unfortunately, SBT is showing 7-10 week eta on the 587's. If it's only a top end, maybe I can do an "in frame". Also debating doing the 720 motor I have in my shop, and swapping out long block. No matter what, rolling swamp cooler is traveling to the river with me for this clusterfuck!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Unfortunately, SBT is showing 7-10 week eta on the 587's. If it's only a top end, maybe I can do an "in frame". Also debating doing the 720 motor I have in my shop, and swapping out long block. No matter what, rolling swamp cooler is traveling to the river with me for this clusterfuck!
No need for a swamp cooler, it’s not hot yet.😊

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
As long as you didn't toast the crank or the rods you should be ok.

I've done a few of the 2 stroke rebuilds. I take the cylinders/head down to the guy who has the machine shop in the back of Jack's auto...forgot his name but I've had him do several cylinder hones, weld and cut a head for me etc, as well as a couple truck heads. Cool guy, quick turnaround and reasonable. I'd at minimum hone the cylinders

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It will be the easiest thing you're ever worked on!

Pull it apart and see what you need...

We fixed my friends jet ski on a park bench. Set of rings and some sand paper. It ran for years after we did that to it! LoL

MohavValley

Reaction score

Will have everything you need to know on your 587 including people that have knowledge about the motor.

IMO you need to find the problem first and then decide how deep your going depending on what it is.

rush1

Reaction score

Ok, flame away!
I've purchased a couple of these over the years ,swap your parts onto them in a day and your done turn key .best bang for the buck in my opinion and they lasted for years.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Could be a simple broken reed.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I wish! These are Rotax type deals...weird ass rotary valve thingama

Will have everything you need to know on your 587 including people that have knowledge about the motor.

IMO you need to find the problem first and then decide how deep your going depending on what it is.
Been snooping there and PWC...with it being the early motor, with one carb, the general concensus is pull the head and look, then pull the barrels if there's scoring and such.
I've purchased a couple of these over the years ,swap your parts onto them in a day and your done turn key .best bang for the buck in my opinion and they lasted for years.
This was my first thought, as my brother did it years ago...and he's no mechanic. SBT said 7-10 weeks out. Nope, not happening. Wife and kids will be back in school

77charger

Reaction score
Avoid SBT(Sell Bad Things) at all cost.You can rebuild it better than they can most likely 2 strokes are simple like said check rod play then might just need a hone and rings if pistons look good if not a fresh bore and pistons your good.May want to look into crank seals as wel.

WSM may make a piston kit they are pretty good for recreational stuff and priced good.I own 2 550s and when you own these older machines you need to be able to do the work on them since a dealer wont touch them or you will pay up the ass from a small shop.

rush1

Reaction score
I wish! These are Rotax type deals...weird ass rotary valve thingama

Been snooping there and PWC...with it being the early motor, with one carb, the general concensus is pull the head and look, then pull the barrels if there's scoring and such.

This was my first thought, as my brother did it years ago...and he's no mechanic. SBT said 7-10 weeks out. Nope, not happening. Wife and kids will be back in school
Call them and ask how fast they could do your engine, there probably waiting for cores