WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sinus RotoRooter

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;

I am going in for Sinus surgery Monday of next week. The fun one where they shove the "spinning blades of death" up each nostril and into each sinus. I am currently on my fifth sinus infection in the last 8 months. Now that I am looking back, I have been building up for the past several years and it has been really throwing off my diving game.

Who has done this and what am I in for?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I know how hard it is, I have a daughter who suffers from sinus issues and has undergone this surgery. She tends to over react to just about everything so I can't be sure how much was real and how much was just her.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I had it done, and I am glad I did.

Like you I used to have several sinus infections, and always had nasal issues and since the surgery I haven't had any. I had several large nasal polyps that were removed, it got to the point that I could barely smell and taste which was also kind of scary.

I have routine check ups with my ENT doctor and have to use prescribed nasal sprays daily which helps minimize the return of any polyps.

Surgery isnt terrible, you will have a night of lots of bloody noses and blood in your throat but its not to bad.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Hello all;

I am going in for Sinus surgery Monday of next week. The fun one where they shove the "spinning blades of death" up each nostril and into each sinus. I am currently on my fifth sinus infection in the last 8 months. Now that I am looking back, I have been building up for the past several years and it has been really throwing off my diving game.

Please keep us up to date as you progress.
I'm in need of the same procedure but currently avoiding the inevitable. In fact my ent doc just started me on another 6 day course of prednisone..
So yeah, I'm very curious as to how you feel and recover after the procedure.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My bro in law had it done. I don't think it was exactly fun, but it did what it was supposed to do.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
interesting....I have had crazy sinus pressure for weeks now that I just can't kick.

Last year was even worse. Feel like crap and headaches.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I’ve had the surgery twice. Not too bad, much better afterward.
The first time the Dr left these “cones” in to help keep it open. He took them out a couple weeks later and that wasn’t fun. One was pretty stuck and it felt like he was pulling my brain out. But I think that is better than when they pack all the gauze up there.
The second time was much better. Different Dr. The “cones” just dissolved.
You have a bit of drainage for a few days after. I slept in the recliner so drainage was a bit better. No blowing your nose for a while.

It wasn’t bad and I would recommend it.
Chronic sinus infections. I’ll probably be on nose sprays for life. I get allergy shots and am now getting a monthly shot called Xolair. It is supposed to help keep the polyps down.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
They are testing procedures with stints to open sinus which would be less invasive. My cardiologist was at my ENT's office helping with training on the procedure. I am going to wait and see how this works out.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
One of the reasons for my second surgery was because of a fungal infection. The Prednisone and antibiotics helped symptoms but wouldn’t clear it. They had to go in to clean it out.

AEA

Reaction score
I had the Entellus balloon sinus dilation procedure (sinussurgeryoptions.com) a few months ago, so far all is good, big improvement.

4Waters

Reaction score
Hello all;

Both my kids had chronic sinus infections due to large adenoids, once we had them removed they went away. My daughter has had 1 in the last 7 years and my son has had 1 in the past 2 years where before surgery they had 5-6 a year. Is this what they are doing?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
They are testing procedures with stints to open sinus which would be less invasive. My cardiologist was at my ENT's office helping with training on the procedure. I am going to wait and see how this works out.
I've read this procedure is very corrective for severe sinus conditions. My daughter has had really bad sinus issues/headaches for years and is watching this procedure as well.

Backlash

Reaction score
I did the surgery two years ago and I wish I would have done it sooner in life. I also had a few pollups that were removed and a deviated septum that was corrected. The recovery wasnt bad but as stated, there is some blood that builds up afterwards. They should give you instructions on flushing with saline or salt water and I highly recommend you do that. It seemed to keep things more clean and open and made it a little bit easier to breathe even with the stunts in both nostrils. Wait til they remove those! 😁 You'll be fine just have your TV ready to go and have your better half ready to perform those nursely duties to help with healing. 😁

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Wife had it two years ago...…. before, 6-8 sinus infections a year. now, 2 a year. HIGHLY suggest it, if your doctor is going to PACK IT...find a different doctor. Her doctor did not, and wrote a medical article as to why they should not (On MOST cases). she used ENT Doctor Avrum Kaufman in Irvine. TOTALLY AWESOME DOCTOR

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
yup, no sense of smell in most cases......
I am worried about the packing a little, but the removal is the issue the most.
Supposed to be worth it in the end.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
yup, no sense of smell in most cases......
I am worried about the packing a little, but the removal is the issue the most.
Supposed to be worth it in the end.
I dont think they pack it anymore. Ask the Dr what they do. take a week or two after the surgery and relax. once you get cleaned out, follow the Dr's orders about how to keep it from happening. Saline rinses and nasal steroids help. Dust is my kryptonite. I have to wear a mask anytime I work with dirt, sawdust, or look in the attic. For some its allergy related and you have to get that under control. Some say an anti-inflammatory diet helps as well.

sirbob

Reaction score
I went to three ENTs over the years.

I went on the pred. Antibiotic cycle over and over again.

Finally decided to have the surgery. It worked for me for a few years. After that time I started having problems again. So now I just deal with it and manage it daily with steroid and antihistamine nasal spray. When ever it get bad, I eat a few preds. For a day or two to reduce the swelling.

The worst part is about 5 years ago I lost all my smell. And it effects my taste buds also.

Surgery was pretty easy - hopefully it will work long term for you.

6181A12D-4E91-45FE-9731-B0EB46C17EAF.jpeg

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have done the antibiotic thing multiple times since last summer. I did the prednisone thing 3(?) times. I have now been on a sinus rinse steroid for the last few months twice a day. Doing sinus rinses twice a day for long term gets old fast.
I need to check in with her on this packing thing.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I am curious about this, when I got diagnosed with my tumor they sent me to an ENT to check about surgical removal through the sinus. The ENT said she could change my life, I guess having your nose broken a few times early in life messes it up? She said she could cure my snoring and everything? I need to go to another ENT and just get it straightened out. Might check out Doctor Avrum Kaufman in Irvine that LHC recommended...

sirbob

Reaction score
Any of you guys use a Neti Pot?

Laughable

Makes a mess and doesn't help me - that’s not really for people with true sinus problems

One thing that worked but was a hassle to use ...

A water pick teeth cleaning device with a bigger hole in the jet. Stick it up one side and shoot water out the other - then switch and do the other side. You need the pressure to really get it to clear out.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Any of you guys use a Neti Pot?

6B1D2201-73A9-42E6-9DD0-211594BCDCAE.png

This is what I use. I like it way better than the Neti pot. Warning squeeze slow. It pushes a lot more water up there then the pot. And no awkward head turning.
But trying to do a rinse with a sinus infection only seemed to make me feel worse. You have to get the inflammation down.
One thing I would do before rinsing is exercise. It helps to open up the sinuses for a little bit so the rinse flows better.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
View attachment 846303
This is what I use. I like it way better than the Neti pot. Warning squeeze slow. It pushes a lot more water up there then the pot. And no awkward head turning.
But trying to do a rinse with a sinus infection only seemed to make me feel worse. You have to get the inflammation down.
One thing I would do before rinsing is exercise. It helps to open up the sinuses for a little bit so the rinse flows better.
There are a few brands of this. Once you go this way, you realize just how useless the netipot is...…..

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’m 32 and I’ve had 3. Probably need another one again, I’ve got no sense of smell but I’m ok with that for now (long story). My dad had 9 total surgeries until he got tested by an allergist and got allergy shots, he’s been good for 20+ years now.
Recovery isn’t too bad, worth it.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I’m 32 and I’ve had 3. Probably need another one again, I’ve got no sense of smell but I’m ok with that for now (long story). My dad had 9 total surgeries until he got tested by an allergist and got allergy shots, he’s been good for 20+ years now.
Recovery isn’t too bad, worth it.

Ouch! I was hoping this will be a once and done kind of thing.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Ouch! I was hoping this will be a once and done kind of thing.
It can be. Depends person to person. My old ENT used to have me do what he called a “tune up” he’d have me do a 1/2 taper of steroids and antibiotics every few months just to keep things in check. Also they can prescribe you a liquid steroid to put in the sinus rinse bottle to use daily that helps clear everything out. Unfortunately being in the military now, they scrutinize that stuff too much so in order to keep my job, I just live with a diminished sense of smell.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Basically, it's like getting a K&N intake for your face..
"but will I get better mileage?" says the blonde to the doctor.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Well, I survived the procedure. Rough afternoon though. hopping to have less pressure behind my eyes tomorrow. eyes hurt to the point of being photosensitive all afternoon.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Well, I survived the procedure. Rough afternoon though. hopping to have less pressure behind my eyes tomorrow. eyes hurt to the point of being photosensitive all afternoon.
Hope you recover quick. Keep us posting as I'm contemplating the same procedure.

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
Just went through 2 back to back sinus surgery's.. 1 November 5th followed by the second on December 23rd due to complications from the first one.. Had issues breathing out of my nose and now since surgery seems all of that has been corrected.. Like mentioned this right here WORKS !!!

1582648353059.png

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
@Waterjunky
How ya feeling now that it's been a few weeks?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am actually doing fairly well now. I am already breathing better and having less issues than before the surgery. I still cannot smell anything and apparently that is fairly normal at this point. Over the next few weeks to months my sinuses will continue to open up and get better.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I am actually doing fairly well now. I am already breathing better and having less issues than before the surgery. I still cannot smell anything and apparently that is fairly normal at this point. Over the next few weeks to months my sinuses will continue to open up and get better.
Good to hear. I know my ENT doc wants to do this to me but isn't pushing me. She tells me writing is on the wall and it's pretty much up to me to decide when.
How long did your worst discomfort last?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
About three days after the surgery was rough. Its a little hard to tell after that because I am on some other meds for the next few months that are really making me feel like a pile of dog ……. The other issue was I cannot take Tylenol due to liver concerns being I am on the other junk. This rules out most pain killers as most other OTCs are out after surgery due to bleeding concerns. Life got complicated for a few days there as the only thing I could take was Oxy. :rolleyes:

So, a few days were rough and then you need to be careful for a week or two. Already worth it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
About three days after the surgery was rough. Its a little hard to tell after that because I am on some other meds for the next few months that are really making me feel like a pile of dog ……. The other issue was I cannot take Tylenol due to liver concerns being I am on the other junk. This rules out most pain killers as most other OTCs are out after surgery due to bleeding concerns. Life got complicated for a few days there as the only thing I could take was Oxy. :rolleyes:

So, a few days were rough and then you need to be careful for a week or two. Already worth it.
Thanks, appreciate your input. 👍

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;

Thought I would toss an update out on this. I am now scheduled for surgery again on my sinuses. The previous (yup different doctor now) doctor only addressed one of the three issues. After being off the antibiotics they stick you on after surgery, the reoccurring infections returned. After looking into it a little more, She spent 2.5 hours working on me for something that should have taken closer to 1.5 hours. She didn't fix the seriously deviated septum, and she didn't address the two upper sinuses that were obviously a key part of the issue. I am now going to do all this over again in the middle of August. I finally got fed up with her excuses and lack of communication and demanded a doctor change from Kaiser. The new doctor ordered CT's and then we met in person. One of the first things he said was something to the effect of "he was not sure why these issues were not addressed, they should have been. They were obvious issues both before and after the previous surgery." When doctors say things like this about the work of people in their own organization, you know the previous one screwed up.....

Good times to look forward to.

Last edited:

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Hello all;

Thought I would toss an update out on this. I am now scheduled for surgery again on my sinuses. The previous (yup different doctor now) doctor only addressed one of the three issues. After being off the antibiotics they stick you on after surgery, the reoccurring infections returned. After looking into it a little more, She spent 2.5 hours working on me for something that should have taken closer to 1.5 hours. She didn't fix the seriously deviated septum, and she didn't address the two upper sinuses that were obviously a key part of the issue. I am now going to do all this over again in the middle of August. I finally got fed up with her excuses and lack of communication and demanded a doctor change from Kaiser. The new doctor ordered CT's and then we met in person. One of the first things he said was something to the effect of "he was not sure why these issues were not addressed, they should have been. They were obvious issues both before and after the previous surgery." When doctors say things like this about the work of people in their own organization, you know the previous one screwed up.....

Good time to look forward to.
Good luck. Hopefully the new Dr will get it figured out.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Hello all;

Damn dude. That sucks when you have to tell the doctor what should be addressed. Brutal

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Hello all;

Geez Louise, we take for granted the wisdom doctors have but yet we have results such as yours. Wishing all the best on the next adventure.