WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Site 6

Duramax

Reaction score
What is the 2 story building that sits beside the launch ramp? Boat rentals I assume, but what else was it?

BajaMike

Reaction score
Site 6 was an Army Air Corp reserve base in 1940. My dad flew there many times on training flights from Palm Springs. They would sometimes layover at the motel.

Taboma

Reaction score
Here's a pic of Site Six late 1940's after the Army had shuttered it as a R&R center and when being used as a fly-in fishing resort by the Spratt's.
There was no Motel, only various barracks buildings.

Site Six late 1940's.jpg

One of Spratt's workers, late 50's.

Site-Six-7-One-ofSpratts-workers-in-1957-58-with-the-old-mess-hall-in-background-1.jpg

Site Six, after Robert McCulloch established his Marine Test Center in 58' (Not sure when the pic was taken).

Site Six McCulloch Marine Test Center.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Site 6 was an Army Air Corp reserve base in 1940. My dad flew there many times on training flights from Palm Springs. They would sometimes layover at the motel.

The Army had barracks, the foundations of many of those still visible today out on the point, that's where your dad stayed. McCulloch built the motel in the late 50's for his marine test center guests.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Maybe someone has a password for this older article

sirbob

Reaction score
The city was trying hard to turn that into a vintage marine themed bar restaurant - in light of the McCulloch history

Reactions: DWC

2Driver

Reaction score
I was told this. But I have also heard Army rest camp before McCulloch ran it as a test facility.

Yeah pretty sure that is correct. Site six was later the remote test spot for McCulloch which is what eventually led to him developing the town.

I worked at McCulloch in the 80’s and liked scouring the records for old photos and stories of the company and town

Had some old photos of site six testing outboards, one of Don Knots on a McCulloch go cart, old pics of the McCulloch gyrocopter, the old hotel in the center of town with the waterfall roof.

I started there working with an old timer that did some of the testing and when they were done with them they dumped dozens of them in the ocean off Long beach so they couldn't be stolen or end up in the competition's hands.

When I worked there we would dump scores of saws and trimmers in the Havasu landfill LOL occasionally they would end up at the swap meet

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure that is correct. Site six was later the remote test spot for McCulloch which is what eventually led to him developing the town.

I worked at McCulloch in the 80’s and liked scouring the records for old photos and stories of the company and town

Had some old photos of site six testing outboards, one of Don Knots on a McCulloch go cart, old pics of the McCulloch gyrocopter, the old hotel in the center of town with the waterfall roof.

I started there working with an old timer that did some of the testing and when they were done with them they dumped dozens of them in the ocean off Long beach so they couldn't be stolen or end up in the competition's hands.

When I worked there we would dump scores of saws and trimmers in the Havasu landfill LOL occasionally they would end up at the swap meet

That's crazy..

RD

old rigger

Reaction score
Here's a pic of Site Six late 1940's after the Army had shuttered it as a R&R center and when being used as a fly-in fishing resort by the Spratt's.
There was no Motel, only various barracks buildings.

View attachment 975248

One of Spratt's workers, late 50's.

View attachment 975249

Site Six, after Robert McCulloch established his Marine Test Center in 58' (Not sure when the pic was taken).

View attachment 975250

That's some cool history right there.

2Driver

Reaction score
I just couldn't not look that up!

View attachment 975414

LOL That was the picture I had in my Office at McCulloch.

That was one super cool company to work for back in the day. Even later on during the early years of Black and Decker were fun so I heard. I worked there when it was under private ownership after B&D and at 24 just out of college, I thought it was pretty cool.

That LHC factory used to be the largest die cast facility west of the Mississippi. The machine shop was awesome, made my jeep bumper there.
I used to do some of the factory tours since my job took me all over the factory at times.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Kingman Army AF Mascot Bugs Bunny.JPG

Not sure where Site # 2 was located, don't see one officially listed, although Yucca was part of the range, so perhaps it was # 2
Kingman Army AF - Aux sites.JPG