Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It goes back to a long time forum argument about a plane on a treadmill

There's Racey sharing RDP folklore with the world :cool:

As for the blower powered umbrella skateboard 😂

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Let's end this now as I can't bear to see the morons out in force again.

Yes, a plane can take off on a treadmill. Only caveat being that the treadmill is long enough for the plane to gather speed. Other than that, it will take off. Remember folks, planes dont move forward from drive wheels; they move forward from thrust pushing against the atmosphere. Doesn't matter if they are taking off from a treadmill or an ice rink.

Last edited:

Skater368

Upon My Request This is all Folks Skater368/nganga
Reaction score
Let's end this now as I can't bare to see the morons out in force again.

Yes, a plane can take off on a treadmill. Only caveat being that the treadmill is long enough for the plane to gather speed. Other than that, it will take off. Remember folks, planes dont move forward from drive wheels; they move forward from thrust pushing against the atmosphere. Doesn't matter if they are taking off from a treadmill or an ice rink.

Negative ghost rider. Planes fly because of lift created by the wing. No airspeed on wing, no lift. The treadmill is assuming to erase forward speed of the wheels. Wheels just spinning faster does not create lift. No different than walking against an escalator.....I think? :rolleyes:

@Instigator don't start with me... :cool:;)

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Negative ghost rider. Planes fly because of lift created by the wing. No airspeed on wing, no lift. The treadmill is assuming to erase forward speed of the wheels. Wheels just spinning faster does not create lift. No different than walking against an escalator.....I think? :rolleyes:

@Instigator don't start with me... :cool:;)

Whoever said a plane won't leave the ground because there is no lift? I think we all understand a plane needs a certain amount of forward speed to gain lift. Man, planes do not move forward because the wheels are driving, they move forward because of the thrust from the engines. Doesn't matter which way the surface is moving.

I seriously can't believe anyone would debate this.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Let's end this now as I can't bear to see the morons out in force again.

First Racey shares the folk lore and now the Beav ends the "discussion" - how things have changed around here 😁

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Whoever said a plane won't leave the ground because there is no lift? I think we all understand a plane needs a certain amount of forward speed to gain lift. Man, planes do not move forward because the wheels are driving, they move forward because of the thrust from the engines. Doesn't matter which way the surface is moving.

Doesn't it depend on if the treadmill is spinning as fast as the wheels so the plane stays stationary? 😁 (Putting water on the seeds WYRD planted)

WhatExit?

Reaction score
1838b145gffppjpg.jpg

This should help you figure it out 😂

airplane.png

So, people who go with interpretation #3 notice immediately that the plane cannot move and keep trying to condescendingly explain to the #2 crowd that nothing they say changes the basic facts of the problem. The #2 crowd is busy explaining to the #3 crowd that planes aren’t driven by their wheels. Of course, this being the internet, there’s also a #4 crowd loudly arguing that even if the plane was able to move, it couldn’t have been what hit the Pentagon. What about those going with #1? Don't ask.

This should help: 😁

treadmill_diagram.png

Skater368

Reaction score

Neither can I. Specially from a guy with an FTP as high as yours. (This is Nganga, changed screen name) 🤣

Nordie

Reaction score
We should see if those Mythbusters guys can solve this. 🙄

Last edited:

Skater368

Reaction score
Holy crap, are you building a new Skater?

Yes sir. Be done in a week or two.

SnoC653

Reaction score
Since the belt on the tread mill will cause some air movement due to surface friction. In theory if the treadmill could turn fast enough and the wheels didn't get so hot they burned the plane down, it could take off. But in theory, almost anything is possible. Look how much you can tow with a F150.

ford 4x429

Reaction score
If you're driving down the road in you're three wheeled canoe, and the fourth wheel falls off, How many bricks does it take to build the CN Tower? None... because there are no bones in ice cream and no chocolate chips in chicken...

WhatExit?

Reaction score
After we solve the airplane on a treadmill what about this one...

If an F150 is moving forward at 60 MPH (not towing) and a ball is shot out the back at 60 MPH what happens to the ball?

TrollerDave

Reaction score

If an F150 is moving forward at 60 MPH (not towing) and a ball is shot out the back at 60 MPH what happens to the ball?
It hits Big Mike in the head at 120 mph, knocking him of his skateboard.
Ohh wait... did we solve the plane/treadmill mystery?

WYRD

Reaction score

Can't happen F-150s don't have balls

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

I see it differently. I see the plane being thrown into the air by the treadmill. And what do you think is actually propelling a plane on an aircraft carrier catapult? It sure as hell isn't the plane. Its being thrown by the catapult, that's what they do, they throw things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk