WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. What a cluster-f&@k. Having to spin 180 and back in with one engine, in the wind.

Yea, fuel system is a poor delivery design. Had a CC with Peter and Tony yesterday. I’m going to completely change the system.

I’ve lost DS 2021, 22 and Monster Storm 21. I’ll not lose anymore time. Family doesn’t even want to go out till it’s right.

I had to put it on the trailer one engine, wind as well. Point - there were two boats waiting to launch that were RDP. I shouted for help and folks just stood there with their hands on their hips. Thanks.

That’s shity no one would help you at the Ramp.

wet hull

Reaction score
What is the new option for a fuel system? Block off existing and mount remote electric pump, fuel cooler and so on?

HST4ME

Reaction score
That’s shity no one would help you at the Ramp.
Yeah, if you've seen Steves boat in person I would have been down to my undies and in the water helping.

I tripped down to Skater the weekend he took it home and peeked around but never really stuck my head in and inspected things. If it was rigged with the "pseudo aeromotive" pumps and no pusher pumps in the tanks that is what needs to be changed.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
What is the new option for a fuel system? Block off existing and mount remote electric pump, fuel cooler and so on?
I will update my solution as I make the changes. I’m still brainstorming positioning and routing.

schweeng

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. What a cluster-f&@k. Having to spin 180 and back in with one engine, in the wind.

Yea, fuel system is a poor delivery design. Had a CC with Peter and Tony yesterday. I’m going to completely change the system.

I’ve lost DS 2021, 22 and Monster Storm 21. I’ll not lose anymore time. Family doesn’t even want to go out till it’s right.

I had to put it on the trailer one engine, wind as well. Point - there were two boats waiting to launch that were RDP. I shouted for help and folks just stood there with their hands on their hips. Thanks.
Most boating guys will jump to help others... the islander just might have a few fellows that didn't want to get their hands wet :oops: We are right around the corner from your spot - our group is happy to help you. Good luck with the fix

Reactions: DWC

X-rated

Reaction score
Why does Merc not want to see this fixed? It’s hasnt been right from the beginning and doesnt sound like it’‘s strictly a rigging problem.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Why does Merc not want to see this fixed? It’s hasnt been right from the beginning and doesnt sound like it’‘s strictly a rigging problem.
After over a year of this now, I’m of the opinion it never was a rigging or contamination issue.

It had TONS of added, 3 micron filtration now and it is still consuming fuel pumps.

wet hull

Reaction score
After over a year of this now, I’m of the opinion it never was a rigging or contamination issue.

It had TONS of added, 3 micron filtration now and it is still consuming fuel pumps.
Could it be its to restrictive? My Aeromotive filter after the pump is 10 micron. Had a 100 micron before the pump and they said with the water/ fuel separator - 100 - pump - 10 micron was to restrictive. They removed the 100 micron. I have zero credibility here just thinking out loud. Halfway decent pic of my setup mounted on the floor.

Attachments

• 20210906_085111.jpg
    20210906_085111.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 83

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Could it be its to restrictive? My Aeromotive filter after the pump is 10 micron. Had a 100 micron before the pump and they said with the water/ fuel separator - 100 - pump - 10 micron was to restrictive. They removed the 100 micron. I have zero credibility here just thinking out loud. Halfway decent pic of my setup mounted on the floor.
It’s something to think about. But, AJ installed 1350 prefilters. They are the long spin on style. He and Mercury figured that the volume of filter would allow adequate fuel flow, even being 3 micron.

Beyond that, I’m amazed at how small the fuel lines are after the HP pump. The steel lines that make a trip through the pressure regulator are 5/16”

Besides, the added filtration changed nothing. Still lost a fuel pump after it was added.

The latest pump was Starboard. It has been port up till now. So how could contamination just now show up? It’s not contamination anyway. That’s Mercury’s excuse to not extend my warranty. They blame Skater.

Way back in the beginning, Bobby from Skater came out to Phoenix and worked on the boat. He drained both tanks, flushed them both numerous times. When he did that, he put a standard water separating fuel filter on the pump he used. After he was done, he cut the filter. They were perfectly clean.

Had a CC with Peter, Tony and Mike at Skater. Previous to the call, Peter had called Mike at Sterling.

Mike said the issue is there is no return to tank line on a 700. The pumps cool themselves with the fuel running through them. He said long idles will kill the pumps, period.

That theory holds water with me. 2 failures were in Thompson bay after a trip through the channel. Part of my fix will be adding a return to tank line. @was thatguy
Will attest to one failure.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It’s something to think about. But, AJ installed 1350 prefilters. They are the long spin on style. He and Mercury figured that the volume of filter would allow adequate fuel flow, even being 3 micron.

Beyond that, I’m amazed at how small the fuel lines are after the HP pump. The steel lines that make a trip through the pressure regulator are 5/16”

Besides, the added filtration changed nothing. Still lost a fuel pump after it was added.

The latest pump was Starboard. It has been port up till now. So how could contamination just now show up? It’s not contamination anyway. That’s Mercury’s excuse to not extend my warranty. They blame Skater.

Way back in the beginning, Bobby from Skater came out to Phoenix and worked on the boat. He drained both tanks, flushed them both numerous times. When he did that, he put a standard water separating fuel filter on the pump he used. After he was done, he cut the filter. They were perfectly clean.

Had a CC with Peter, Tony and Mike at Skater. Previous to the call, Peter had called Mike at Sterling.

Mike said the issue is there is no return to tank line on a 700. The pumps cool themselves with the fuel running through them. He said long idles will kill the pumps, period.

That theory holds water with me. 2 failures were in Thompson bay after a trip through the channel. Part of my fix will be adding a return to tank line. @was thatguy

Yes the failures I saw were 2 fold, both port side.
The first was the code out right at 100mph.
More accurately it was at xx rpm and load time after idling out of the islander marina.
The total failure of port pump was after idling through the channel, in Thompson bay.
Steve’s restraint has been on a level of mother Theresa to be honest here.
Anyway, going forward, after our conversation yesterday I thought more about my aeromotive pump set ups on my hydro.
There was definitely a return but it was from the accompanying regulator, as mine were carburetor set ups. But I think that may be the “light bulb” moment as we talked about.
My red and blue Holleys do not have returns, and just pressure up. The full flow pumps do require returns. I had to add a #8 return on my hydro when I swapped to Aeromotive and replaced the moon tank.

Last edited:

wet hull

Reaction score
Yes the failures I saw were 2 fold, both port side.
The first was the code out right at 100mph.
More accurately it was at xx rpm and load time after idling out of the islander marina.
The total failure of port pump was after idling through the channel, in Thompson bay.
After limping back to the dock (and not to throw too much shade here) I also watched him get the run around on the phone about relays and checking this and that.
That blew me away. This was NOT the first total Pump failure and the “experts” have the guy on his knees swapping wires on a bullshit relay damn near a year after dropping a full bale of money on a lifelong dream boat.
Steve’s restraint has been on a level of mother Theresa to be honest here. Watching the other $ boats drive out for the day while his dreamboat sits there and some guy on the phone telling him he’s driving it wrong.
Pisses me off and it isn’t even my deal.

Anyway, going forward, after our conversation yesterday I thought more about my aeromotive pump set ups on my hydro.
There was definitely a return but it was from the accompanying regulator, as mine were carburetor set ups. But I think that may be the “light bulb” moment as we talked about.
My red and blue Holleys do not have returns, and just pressure up. The full flow pumps do require returns. I had to add a #8 return on my hydro when I swapped to Aeromotive and replaced the moon tank.
I have Aeromotive regulator on my EFI setup. My return comes off of that into a T on the inlet side of the pump. Its a 1/2" line. Rest of my fuel runs through 5/8" lines. My fuel leaves the pump enter fuel cooler then heads up to fuel rails. Pretty easy set up overall and very easy to swap out pump if it dies. Had a Aeromotive pump crap the bed on Easter weekend. Think I lost the small gear inside.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Negative

Skater sent parts I’m doing the work. @Duramax is going to help.
I really feel for you and your family. You spend all the money and wait the time and then you loose more time when it’s not right and they can’t fix it. Had a real similar experience with my M31 with 860’s, lost over a year with throttle position sensor warnings that would throw it in guardian mode at any speed. Money is one thing, but fun time planed with my kids I don’t get back. With the price they charge they should be more on the ball. Sorry just got pissed all over again reading your experience. Best of luck, hope you can salvage the season.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I really feel for you and your family. You spend all the money and wait the time and then you loose more time when it’s not right and they can’t fix it. Had a real similar experience with my M31 with 860’s, lost over a year with throttle position sensor warnings that would throw it in guardian mode at any speed. Money is one thing, but fun time planed with my kids I don’t get back. With the price they charge they should be more on the ball. Sorry just got pissed all over again reading your experience. Best of luck, hope you can salvage the season.
Thanks for the encouragement. On the way home from DS, wife and I talked this through.

I was pissed, “Sell the SOB”, whatever. My super supportive wife wanted my to keep it, fix it myself and enjoy it. She’s awesome.

I HAD a VRBO at LOTO for June 1-12. Great house deep water cove, private dock. I had to cancel that. There’s no chance I would risk 1100 miles with a question mark boat. I lost 50% of the deposit.

I am literally out 10’s of thousands of dollars trying to use it, unsuccessfully.

It will be fixed, one week from today. I’m 1000000% certain that we’ve (Skater and I) know what’s wrong and how to fix it.

counterpart7

Reaction score

Sounds like you have just been babying it too much! Less idle, more wide open!

Kidding of course. Sounds like a typical case of “more money, more problems.” Really hope you get this thing figured out!

pkbullet

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. On the way home from DS, wife and I talked this through.

I was pissed, “Sell the SOB”, whatever. My super supportive wife wanted my to keep it, fix it myself and enjoy it. She’s awesome.

I HAD a VRBO at LOTO for June 1-12. Great house deep water cove, private dock. I had to cancel that. There’s no chance I would risk 1100 miles with a question mark boat. I lost 50% of the deposit.

I am literally out 10’s of thousands of dollars trying to use it, unsuccessfully.

It will be fixed, one week from today. I’m 1000000% certain that we’ve (Skater and I) know what’s wrong and how to fix it.
My big deal was we went through it the last two summers both my kids had summers off with us, which was one of the main reasons we built it. You stated Mercury wasn’t covering based on contamination. Was that inspection or repair performed my an authorized Mercury dealer? The reason I ask if they don’t have a sample or component that shows that, it can’t be denied. If that is the case, you have grounds for mercury to buy back the motors depending

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
My big deal was we went through it the last two summers both my kids had summers off with us, which was one of the main reasons we built it. You stated Mercury wasn’t covering based on contamination. Was that inspection or repair performed my an authorized Mercury dealer? The reason I ask if they don’t have a sample or component that shows that, it can’t be denied. If that is the case, you have grounds for mercury to buy back the motors depending
Mercury isn’t extending my warranty, based on contamination.

I have not paid for any repairs to date. These repairs, I’m doing myself but Skater sent me the parts no charge.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Mercury isn’t extending my warranty, based on contamination.

I have not paid for any repairs to date. These repairs, I’m doing myself but Skater sent me the parts no charge.
Well at least you have a plan and a supportive wife. Mine helps too, I’m never very bright when emotional. It is such an amazing piece to give up on. If you are ever going to PK, we are great hosts.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Sorry you are not gonna make it out here & your badass boat isn't right yet

Madman

Reaction score
Damn man.... Your boat was plastered all of FB about the event. Terrible news. While its no conciliation and I'm sure you'd rather have a running boat, the pics did look kick ass.

Please report back on what you did and if it fixed your issue.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Hope you get this dam thing figured out. Loosing play time is insult to
Injury.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Damn. I’m so sorry about all the time you have lost to these issues. No matter what we have and how much money we have, time is our most valuable asset. I can’t imagine the stress and frustration that has come along with this. I really hope it is fixed for good with your next ideas.

I’m also disappointed nobody stepped in to help someone asking for help at the launch. I’d have jumped off my damn boat and swam to help.

The greatest build thread ever to grace the forums needs the ending it deserves. This isn’t it. Sadly I have no advice to offer. I’m not mechanical in the slightest. I typically have have to fix my stuff with my check book.

hallett21

Reaction score
Damn. I’m so sorry about all the time you have lost to these issues. No matter what we have and how much money we have, time is our most valuable asset. I can’t imagine the stress and frustration that has come along with this. I really hope it is fixed for good with your next ideas.

I’m also disappointed nobody stepped in to help someone asking for help at the launch. I’d have jumped off my damn boat and swam to help.

The greatest build thread ever to grace the forums needs the ending it deserves. This isn’t it. Sadly I have no advice to offer. I’m not mechanical in the slightest. I typically have have to fix my stuff with my check book.
I don’t like hearing that last part from my pilot before take off 🤣😉

Riverryder

Reaction score
maybe the boat wanted 1550/1350s instead thats why i keeps breaking fuel pumps?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

I am waiting, as I type this for UPS to deliver a box full of stuff. I have most everything removed.

maybe the boat wanted 1550/1350s instead thats why i keeps breaking fuel pumps?

Motors like that are waaayy above my pay grade Brother. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars difference and nearly un-insurable.

125-130 is a threshold, above that, you better own Twitter.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Motors like that are waaayy above my pay grade Brother. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars difference and nearly un-insurable.

125-130 is a threshold, above that, you better own Twitter.
is magoo musk dad? doesnt he have 2 dual 1350 boats?

like many have said you are stronger then most! cant imagine waiting 2 years for a boat to then be left to figure it out on your own for the most part.

HST4ME

Reaction score
The 700 fuel supply never made any sense to me. I know why it was done to appease the uscg not having bypass return lines to the tank. The worst thing you can do to a fuel pump is a dead head system, even internal bypass pumps. Full bypass back to the tans is the only way to do it. The return lines might have 2-3 psi.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
The 700 fuel supply never made any sense to me. I know why it was done to appease the uscg not having bypass return lines to the tank. The worst thing you can do to a fuel pump is a dead head system, even internal bypass pumps. Full bypass back to the tans is the only way to do it. The return lines might have 2-3 psi.
I tried to perform an autopsy on a dead pump last night. There’s two nuts inside that I’ll need to grind a 3/8 docket down on the outside to get them into the boss, they’re in.

I’m not grinding a snap-on.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I tried to perform an autopsy on a dead pump last night. There’s two nuts inside that I’ll need to grind a 3/8 docket down on the outside to get them into the boss, they’re in.

I’m not grinding a snap-on.
I probably have the socket you need. If not. I can make you one if you really need it.:D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not knowing boat stuff, now it makes sense. My first question was about a dead head setup. I'm not an engineer, or even that sharp, but even I understand the concept of using fuel flow to cool the pump. Being unfamiliar with that layout of boat and power, re-configuring the fuel system may be challenging.

On a side note, are those pumps variable speed/pressure? I don't know if Merc does the modern type PCM controlled voltage feed. If they do, would it be a possibility that the power supplied from the PCM is too low under no/low demand? Insufficient voltage can do goofy things, including killing electric motors.

Reactions: DWC

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
When ProCharger did the kit on my boat they used a 3.5L fuel surge tank. In the tank is two fuel pumps that then pump to a Y than the regulator. The regulator returns straight to the surge tank, as does the factory low pressure pump, which means imas long as there’s fuel in the tank I’ll have fuel, unless (knock on wood) both pumps shit the bed. Then the overflow runs to the fuel valve to return to tank. The fuel lines from low pressure pump to sump are -8 as are all the lines beyond. It goes to the factory 10m filter on the port side of engine then to the rail.

I’m not a smart guy but this system seems as good as it can get imho as well is still tied into the factory wire harness.

736B7E89-6075-4C0F-BFE9-8F5D158C09D9.jpeg

This fall I’m going to change the Y set up again and mount the regulator on the transom but it’s pretty fool proof.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What’s the good word Steve? Hoping this is all done now.
Hopefully he's out on the water, enjoying it;)🥰
Not yet guys. Lots of changes, essentially replumbing the entire motor package.

Duramax is going to give me a hand tomorrow drilling holes in my boat. 🤡

Very fortunate to be in the fluid power industry. This would be a 4 alarm cluster fuck for somebody without unlimited parts access.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Can you take some progress pics?
I was telling another member the other day I want to make changes to my boat. But I don’t think it’s a good idea to drill holes in a boat haha

We miss the boat! It hurts us to see that it still isn’t right haha