WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I finally got around to doing an Autopsy on a dead A1000.

It’s internals are all metric, not sure if they’ve always been.

Just as a friend of mine presumed, the magnets are worn as is the commutator.

The gear (eccentric) and bearings look perfect.

13534ECB-7D43-42F4-974C-995D79085F7F.jpeg

A1445619-E3D5-44F4-8826-4607B0ABDDA5.jpeg

4EE327ED-05E5-40C7-AEED-844A5524AC30.jpeg

wet hull

Reaction score
I finally got around to doing an Autopsy on a dead A1000.

It’s internals are all metric, not sure if they’ve always been.

Just as a friend of mine presumed, the magnets are worn as is the commutator.

The gear (eccentric) and bearings look perfect.

View attachment 1118509

View attachment 1118511

View attachment 1118512
Did your pump spin up at all or just dead? I just lost my 2nd A1000 pump in 2 trips this weekend. Luckily only at idle and leaving channel. Ran back a grabbed a spare Bosch and all good. My A1000 runs but only putting out 2-5 psi. I am done with this overpriced piece of crap. Switching to the Weldon. Ordering tomorrow.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Did your pump spin up at all or just dead? I just lost my 2nd A1000 pump in 2 trips this weekend. Luckily only at idle and leaving channel. Ran back a grabbed a spare Bosch and all good. My A1000 runs but only putting out 2-5 psi. I am done with this overpriced piece of crap. Switching to the Weldon. Ordering tomorrow.
I had 2 fail after long idles. Mike Di Annabelle at Dterking engines theorized they overheat due to low fuel flow at idle. They cool with fuel.

The last one that failed on my boat, eventually got so low on pressure it got hot and blew a fuse. It still spun but it was essentially dead.

I’d be curious if the brushes and commutator are worn, like mine.

wet hull

Reaction score
I had 2 fail after long idles. Mike Di Annabelle at Dterking engines theorized they overheat due to low fuel flow at idle. They cool with fuel.

The last one that failed on my boat, eventually got so low on pressure it got hot and blew a fuse. It still spun but it was essentially dead.

I’d be curious if the brushes and commutator are worn, like mine.
I am sending the newest 1 back under warranty. I will open the other 1 and report back. They both changed in sound pitch when they died.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Well Steve, wasn't today the test day?
2 1/2 years and 1509 posts and we are still waiting to see if this thing finally works correctly.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ?
Do you finally have a new bote or what?

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Well Steve, wasn't today the test day?
2 1/2 years and 1509 posts and we are still waiting to see if this thing finally works correctly.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ?
Do you finally have a new bote or what?
I had to move it to Thursday. Work, Covid absenteeism. Having to cover.

Also, a brake controller recall on my F-450. It actually failed on the way to the lake a couple weeks ago. 21,000 pounds doesn’t stop well without triple axle disc brakes

Get Truck back tomorrow

Thursday is test day.

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Also, a brake controller recall on my F-450. It actually failed on the way to the lake a couple weeks ago. 21,000 pounds doesn’t stop well without triple axle disc brakes

Get Truck back tomorrow

Thursday is test day.
I'm cheering you on Steve.... watching as you continue your journey with this beautiful monster. I'm confident you'll get her straightened out. Fingers crossed for ya.... just keep that positive attitude you've got.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score

Get Truck back tomorrow

Thursday is test day.
If you need a hand at the lake Thursday give me a shout, I’m off, and only 20 minutes away. Hopefully she finally runs as good as she looks!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
On pins & needles waiting on the update. Best of luck to you Steve!!!!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
hahahha yes sir!!

hopefully @Bowtiepower00 goes down and gets us pictures!!

fingers crossed. read that you will be in havi this coming week! hope the family doesnt miss anymore time!
7511BF98-4B7F-4D2C-A95C-9D8E4970248B.jpeg
9F17DF01-49B0-4CA2-9CF8-573BB7333E66.jpeg
E1D05CB0-810E-49E3-93BD-5ABB523918E8.jpeg

Thanks for the experience Steve, such a badass boat.

It looks like the new fuel system is going to solve the problem.

Have a great Havasu trip!

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Bowtiepower00 fack!!!! no videos? thats all we get?? haha jk you lucky dog! im jealous!

cant wait to here what steve has to say about the shakedown!!

Reactions: DWC

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
So was the test to go idle the thing for an hour to fully test the issue that's been causing it in the past? I also wonder if it always happens on first trip out. It would suck for test to go okay and then have an issue on next trip. Lastly, in my opinion the owner who pays this much for a boat shouldn't have to be this involved in the fix. Doesn't speak well for the engine or boat manufacturer in my opinion.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
how was it? details from passenger deck hand perspective?
Way out of my wheelhouse, so I’m not a good person to ask. Coolest goddamn boat I’ve ever been on, that’s for sure. Bucket list item for me. First ride in a cat, and first time hitting triple digits on the water. I think we saw a touch over 120 but just a shakedown run. Pleasant gets small quick in a boat like that. Wakes that would bounce you out of the small stuff I have experience in, you don’t even notice.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Way out of my wheelhouse, so I’m not a good person to ask. Coolest goddamn boat I’ve ever been on, that’s for sure. Bucket list item for me. First ride in a cat, and first time hitting triple digits on the water. I think we saw a touch over 120 but just a shakedown run. Pleasant gets small quick in a boat like that. Wakes that would bounce you out of the small stuff I have experience in, you don’t even notice.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, the fuel kept flowing? No offense but we don't care too much about whether you felt the wakes 😂

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
View attachment 1119773 View attachment 1119774 View attachment 1119775
Thanks for the experience Steve, such a badass boat.

It looks like the new fuel system is going to solve the problem.

Have a great Havasu trip!
I’m glad you came. As you saw, it is not a one-man show boat.

We backed it in and started it, no issues drawing or delivering fuel. Took 30-45 minutes to set pressures. Drove boat had to reset them again.

Made a few 110 MPH passes, had an unspecified code, which we believed to be too much fuel pressure. Re-adjusted it, took 2 PSI out of the port motor. Seemed to be it.

So, looks good for now, a week at Havasu will be telling.

Zero fuel leaks, and really no other issues. Lake was awesome,

Another guy came with. He’s not in RDP. He’s building an 1100, 368 right now. Thank you both for helping out.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
So was the test to go idle the thing for an hour to fully test the issue that's been causing it in the past? I also wonder if it always happens on first trip out. It would suck for test to go okay and then have an issue on next trip. Lastly, in my opinion the owner who pays this much for a boat shouldn't have to be this involved in the fix. Doesn't speak well for the engine or boat manufacturer in my opinion.
It idled quite a long time while we set pressures. Idled our past no wake. Drove around at 2500-3500 RPMs. All looked good so did some 85% passes. As I stated, had to adjust fuel pressure a couple times.

Is it fixed? I hope so. All the failures were fuel system related. It’s 100% different stuff now.

And I agree 100%. Me, a not very smart or mechanical guy having to fix it myself, says volumes.

I believe Mercury Racing had their thumb on what they would allow for warranty work, that tied the hands of folks that had it prior.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@nganga does this mean its voided now? not that you care since a voided boat that runs is better then one that as warranty and doesnt run or keeps burning pumps.

seems like if this fixes it you need to start another branch from your company for these if its a known issue.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
@nganga does this mean its voided now? not that you care since a voided boat that runs is better then one that as warranty and doesnt run or keeps burning pumps.

seems like if this fixes it you need to start another branch from your company for these if its a known issue.
Yes. No warranty. But did I ever really even have one?

They blamed Skater for contamination, I don’t believe it really ever was that.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Congratulations on the successful test so far Steve, I hope it holds up for you all week. I wish I would be there to see it in Havasu. I assume you’re going for the holiday weekend. I’ll be getting out there Tuesday or Wednesday after memorial. If you need anything hit me up. I’d come down just to help around the dock if you need.

Reactions: DWC

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Congratulations on the successful test so far Steve, I hope it holds up for you all week. I wish I would be there to see it in Havasu. I assume you’re going for the holiday weekend. I’ll be getting out there Tuesday or Wednesday after memorial. If you need anything hit me up. I’d come down just to help around the dock if you need.
We are going to drive up on Monday. All the cars will be going the other way. My Motorhome is set up at the Islander for the year.

ChrisV

Reaction score
What fuel pumps did you end up using? Weldon?

schweeng

Reaction score
We are going to drive up on Monday. All the cars will be going the other way. My Motorhome is set up at the Islander for the year.
Good Luck !! See you at the Islander, or the dock.... or out on the water!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good to hear of the success today. Hope that it continues and you are able to enjoy your boat. 👍

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Mild steel? I'll make you some stainless ones if you send me dimensions.
I might take you up on that. I was gonna replace them with Aluminum at the end of the season. SS would be rad.

I had 2-1/2 angle in my shop, just made them with hand tools and a cheap drill press.

pkbullet

Reaction score
I still can’t get over that Mercury or Skater wasn’t arranging to have this done for you even if they wouldn’t pay for it. It is unbelievable with what this rig cost that you should be crawling in those motor compartments. Sorry for the negativity , but it definitely shows that the combo of a boat builder and seperate power train provider is a week spot in the industry. I have to say the best take care of anything service I’ve had on a boat is from my Mastercraft dealer. I hope all of your work pays off and you and your family have a wonderful boating season.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I still can’t get over that Mercury or Skater wasn’t arranging to have this done for you even if they wouldn’t pay for it. It is unbelievable with what this rig cost that you should be crawling in those motor compartments. Sorry for the negativity , but it definitely shows that the combo of a boat builder and seperate power train provider is a week spot in the industry. I have to say the best take care of anything service I’ve had on a boat is from my Mastercraft dealer. I hope all of your work pays off and you and your family have a wonderful boating season.
I can’t disagree with any part of that. You’re not being negative, you’re being rational.

I’ve gone through absolutely every emotion on this situation. I considered telling Skater to come get it, new power (which was next). Wife told me to just put 1100’s in it and call it good.

If you can name it, I’ve thought it through.

I wanted the boat, figured what was the best way to achieve that.

Things changed during a conference call with Tony, Mike and Peter at Skater. Peter had spoken in detail to Mike Diannabelle from Sterling Engines. I spoke with both Teague and Larry Peto. Some of the best minds in racing engines. ALL of them agree the Mercury “closed” system is stupid.

We all agreed on - what pump, what regulator r and how to do the conversion. Teague added, removing the manual fuel (lift) pump, filter/regulator combo AND the fuel cooler.

I’ve been in the hydraulic/hose and fitting business my entire life, so all the port sizes, fittings and hose choices were easy and all the parts I used were on my shelves.

I am pretty good with my hands so just figured why not do it myself.

Skater has been completely open checkbook on this. They paid for everything.

Mercury OTOH, is ONLY concerned with $$$. They milk these things along until your warranty is up, then you’re fucked.

I was without the boat for ~8 months. They refused to extend my warranty because it was Skater’s fault.

They KNOW the fuel pumps are shit, they have failures ALL over America. A brand new Outerlimits in Florida has same problem. I disassembled one completely. The brushes have worn into the commutator badly. All the black in the HP filters is the magnets grinding themselves to pieces. They wore so far down the motor just can’t function any further and the motor just stops turning.

The industry I’m in affords me access to lots of engineers. They looked, laughed and told me the reason for failing. I’m NOT done on this.

I’ve missed two Desert Storms, even though we were there for both. One Monster Storm. I just lost a 3500 deposit on a VRBO at Lake Ozark from June 1-12.

I’m out many thousands of dollars. I’ve countless trips (just like today) testing it. That’s not counting all the time I have in moving it around, standing on my head under the engines, being told I don’t know how to drive.

Today was the first time I towed it home in working condition.

I had something to prove, so I fixed the son of a bitch myself. I honestly don’t even like the boat now. 14 months of this will do that to you. If I get a few trouble free trips, the love may return. Hope it’s fixed.

Funny, at the beginning of this, I wanted 700’s for reliability. All I asked Mercury Racing for was a couple hoodies. Nope.

SMH

Last edited:

pkbullet

Reaction score
I can’t disagree with any part of that. You’re not being negative, you’re being rational.

I’ve gone through absolutely every emotion on this situation. I considered telling Skater to come get it, new power (which was next). Wife told me to just put 1100’s in it and call it good.

If you can name it, I’ve thought it through.

I wanted the boat, figured what was the best way to achieve that.

Things changed during a conference call with Tony, Mike and Peter at Skater. Peter had spoken in detail to Mike Diannabelle from Sterling Engines. I spoke with both Teague and Larry Peto. Some of the best minds in racing engines. ALL of them agree the Mercury “closed” system is stupid.

We all agreed on - what pump, what regular and how to do the conversion. Teague added, removing the manual fuel (lift) pump, filter/regulator combo AND the fuel cooler.

I’ve been in the hydraulic/hose and fitting business my entire life, so all the port sizes, fittings and hose choices were easy and all the parts I used were on my shelves.

I am pretty good with my hands so just figured why not do it myself.

Skater has been completely open checkbook on this. They paid for everything.

Mercury OTOH, is ONLY concerned with $$$. They milk these things along until your warranty is up, then you’re fucked.

I was without the boat for ~8 months. They refused to extend my warranty because it was Skater’s fault.

They KNOW the fuel pumps are shit, they have failures ALL over America. A brand new Outerlimits in Florida has same problem. I disassembled one completely. The brushes have worn into the commutator badly. All the black in the HP filters is the magnets grinding themselves to pieces. They wore so far down the motor just can’t function any further and the motor just stops turning.

The industry I’m in affords me access to lots of engineers. They looked, laughed and told me the reason for failing. I’m NOT done on this.

I’ve missed two Desert Storms, even though we were there for both. One Monster Storm. I just lost a 3500 deposit on a VRBO at Lake Ozark from June 1-12.

I’m out many thousands of dollars. I’ve countless trips (just like today) testing it. That’s not counting all the time I have in moving it around, standing on my head under the engines, being told I don’t know how to drive.

Today was the first time I towed it home in working condition.

I had something to prove, so I fixed the son of a bitch myself. I honestly don’t even like the boat now. 14 months of this will do that to you. If I get a few trouble free trips, the love may return. Hope it’s fixed.

Funny, at the beginning of this, I wanted 700’s for reliability. All I asked Mercury Racing for was a couple hoodies. Nope.

SMH
That’s good to hear about Skater at least. I spoke to Tony about a 368 with 1100’s they are brokering, he seemed standup. He was real upfront that he couldn’t do the trailer alterations until winter, didn’t try to smoke me to make a sale. I completely get the loss of enjoyment from the build, hope is comes back. When she runs right, you will appreciate how fucking bad ass a rig it is.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That’s good to hear about Skater at least. I spoke to Tony about a 368 with 1100’s they are brokering, he seemed standup. He was real upfront that he couldn’t do the trailer alterations until winter, didn’t try to smoke me to make a sale. I completely get the loss of enjoyment from the build, hope is comes back. When she runs right, you will appreciate how fucking bad ass a rig it is.
I can’t really complain about Skaters support. They’ve sent Bobby out here twice. Open checkbook

Yes, the boat is badassery defined.