WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Steve
How does the worn brushes get induced into the fuel?
Is that part of the pump cooled by fuel?
Thats the only part I don't understand about how the brush material got into the HP filters.
I completely understand that the pump being deadheaded and stalled due to an inadequate bypass return causing the brushes to burn but I dont get how the brush material got into the fuel.

Either way, I'm sure you have it figured out now as it has proper bypass returns and regulators.
Well done buddy.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Steve
How does the worn brushes get induced into the fuel?
Is that part of the pump cooled by fuel?
Thats the only part I don't understand about how the brush material got into the HP filters.
I completely understand that the pump being deadheaded and stalled due to an inadequate bypass return causing the brushes to burn but I dont get how the brush material got into the fuel.

Either way, I'm sure you have it figured out now as it has proper bypass returns and regulators.
Well done buddy.
There are no fuel passages. The fuel runs through the motor. I have one apart on my bench. It doesn’t make sense to me either but you can see it for yourself

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
3F4EEC41-84D2-48CB-9180-137FBBF76A2A.jpeg

Attachments

• A8D0B331-F2FC-4877-B6CC-148662B87BC5.jpeg
    A8D0B331-F2FC-4877-B6CC-148662B87BC5.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 56
  • E33DB6B7-05C2-4AA0-BD40-F5A846E62AFB.jpeg
    E33DB6B7-05C2-4AA0-BD40-F5A846E62AFB.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 47
  • A8891C1D-9F77-4F3A-AF2E-C5EFC367FFCD.jpeg
    A8891C1D-9F77-4F3A-AF2E-C5EFC367FFCD.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 44
  • F3A01A24-EC6E-41BD-9D80-16E73A9E0BD3.jpeg
    F3A01A24-EC6E-41BD-9D80-16E73A9E0BD3.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 49
  • EF5131CD-F21A-4F73-B3DA-9C9583D561C0.jpeg
    EF5131CD-F21A-4F73-B3DA-9C9583D561C0.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 894F0326-489B-4885-BAB5-86559F0EEEBE.jpeg
    894F0326-489B-4885-BAB5-86559F0EEEBE.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 51

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
You can see there are no fuel pathways around the brushes. The gear (eccentric) is on the motor shaft.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
There are no fuel passages. The fuel runs through the motor. I have one apart on my bench. It doesn’t make sense to me either but you can see it for yourself
Maybe I will stop by tomorrow and check it out. If the motor is fuel cooled then I completely understand those filthy filters but I still have concerns that we discussed in my shop.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
image.jpg

This is the back-side of the brush plate. Fuel passages go right over them

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Maybe I will stop by tomorrow and check it out. If the motor is fuel cooled then I completely understand those filthy filters but I still have concerns that we discussed in my shop.
That is exactly what happens

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
You can see there are no fuel pathways around the brushes. The gear (eccentric) is on the motor shaft.
I would have thought they would have designed those to keep the electrical components separated from the fuel.
That would make more sense to me and be safer too. Less chance of explosion too.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
And how you run fuel and voltage in the same passages is beyond my ability to understand
I suppose Merc Racing hired an engineer from Yugo to design their fuel system but told him to not mount the pump in the fuel tank.:D

Riverryder

Reaction score
Wait so did you order the 1100s to be put in in the off season? You did get the green light from the boss!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Really an amazing day for me. I never expected a ride, just wanted to make sure Steve was able to keep his beautiful rig safe at the ramp.

This beast draws a TON of attention. In addition to everyone who came by and said “nice bote” I noticed 1) old dude who launched and never trimmed down, wondering why he wasn’t able to go anywhere, drifting closer to the Skater, and 2) dude who launched 2 skis with his wife on 1, to float while he parked. She just sat on her ski terrified while she floated closer and closer to the skater until he returned and swam out to the skis. I was on high alert. Lol.

I don’t have any hands on experience with botes of this caliber, but I have been on OSO for over 15 years and here for over 10, even if I didn’t post. Ive read plenty about these boats and knew what to expect.

My impressions:

Skater builds an INCREDIBLE boat. There is no equal. This boat has tie downs for the tilt trailer with Big Rig style tie downs. When I say big rig, I mean the kind you use a 3’ breaker bar and hang off them (me and Steve both on one) to tighten them. The boat didn’t flex. The tilt trailer cradle (solid tube steel) did.

This boat is amazing. Planed easy with mild throttle. Stayed on plane at 40 mph, ran 100 effortlessly at 3500-4000 RPM with what is considered mild power.

The paint and interior are absolutely next level. I was afraid to touch or walk on anything. Spent most of our test ride holding fuel gauge hoses off the paint, even at 110+, lol.

The cut down deck is incredible. View out the front was great, even while planing. The bow didn’t rise much at all even while planing,

120 In this boat feels like 40 in a regular boat.

I was too busy keeping my sunglasses on and keeping hoses off the paint to see the rooster tail, but when I looked back, it was glorious.

The tilt trailer is a work of art. Really amazing to see in person.

This boat is huge. Steve’s F450 didn’t struggle a bit with 22k on a bumper pull. Big shout out to Steve’s wife for handling the trailer on the ramp.

Really a great day on the lake. An experience I will remember forever. Steve would line up at one end of the lake and run 75%, and less than a minute later we were at the end.

The gentleman who joined us today was a total gearhead, and a super cool dude. Not on the forums much but it sounds like he will start to be more active. Can’t wait to see his boat- in about 18 months.

Overall, an amazing day. There is only one Skater. Steve, thanks for letting me experience your amazing float. If you ever need a dock hand, I’ll be there.

Edit: coming from small boats, these big cats are a ton of work. Installing props, getting everything dialed, tens of thousands of dollars of paint, 250k trailer. I’m a super anal boater, my OCD was in overdrive. A lot of guys with boats of this caliber have employees who handle the small stuff. A huge amount of respect to @nganga for handling all of it himself.

You definitely need to give yourself more credit, from doing a complete fuel system overhaul yourself (20+ hours in the bilges) to sorting all of the problems out yourself when Mercury basically washed their hands of the deal. I hope you are finally able to enjoy this beautiful boat the way you have always hoped to.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Really an amazing day for me. I never expected a ride, just wanted to make sure Steve was able to keep his beautiful rig safe at the ramp.

This beast draws a TON of attention. In addition to everyone who came by and said “nice bote” I noticed 1) old dude who launched and never trimmed down, wondering why he wasn’t able to go anywhere, drifting closer to the Skater, and 2) dude who launched 2 skis with his wife on 1, to float while he parked. She just sat on her ski terrified while she floated closer and closer to the skater until he returned and swam out to the skis. I was on high alert. Lol.

I don’t have any hands on experience with botes of this caliber, but I have been on OSO for over 15 years and here for over 10, even if I didn’t post. Ive read plenty about these boats and knew what to expect.

My impressions:

Skater builds an INCREDIBLE boat. There is no equal. This boat has tie downs for the tilt trailer with Big Rig style tie downs. When I say big rig, I mean the kind you use a 3’ breaker bar and hang off them (me and Steve both on one) to tighten them. The boat didn’t flex. The tilt trailer cradle (solid tube steel) did.

This boat is amazing. Planed easy with mild throttle. Stayed on plane at 40 mph, ran 100 effortlessly at 3500-4000 RPM with what is considered mild power.

The paint and interior are absolutely next level. I was afraid to touch or walk on anything. Spent most of our test ride holding fuel gauge hoses off the paint, even at 110+, lol.

The cut down deck is incredible. View out the front was great, even while planing. The bow didn’t rise much at all even while planing,

120 In this boat feels like 40 in a regular boat.

I was too busy keeping my sunglasses on and keeping hoses off the paint to see the rooster tail, but when I looked back, it was glorious.

The tilt trailer is a work of art. Really amazing to see in person.

This boat is huge. Steve’s F450 didn’t struggle a bit with 22k on a bumper pull. Big shout out to Steve’s wife for handling the trailer on the ramp.

Really a great day on the lake. An experience I will remember forever. Steve would line up at one end of the lake and run 75%, and less than a minute later we were at the end.

The gentleman who joined us today was a total gearhead, and a super cool dude. Not on the forums much but it sounds like he will start to be more active. Can’t wait to see his boat- in about 18 months.

Overall, an amazing day. There is only one Skater. Steve, thanks for letting me experience your amazing float. If you ever need a dock hand, I’ll be there.

Edit: coming from small boats, these big cats are a ton of work. Installing props, getting everything dialed, tens of thousands of dollars of paint, 250k trailer. I’m a super anal boater, my OCD was in overdrive. A lot of guys with boats of this caliber have employees who handle the small stuff. A huge amount of respect to @nganga for handling all of it himself.

You definitely need to give yourself more credit, from doing a complete fuel system overhaul yourself (20+ hours in the bilges) to sorting all of the problems out yourself when Mercury basically washed their hands of the deal. I hope you are finally able to enjoy this beautiful boat the way you have always hoped to.
@Bowtiepower00

Hahaha, when you come to help on a test day, you get to work.

Jared and I were stuck up under the hatches shouting out orders, “key up port, start port, shut it off, grab me this”

Glad to take you for a rip. And your help was appreciated. The attention at the ramp is why I won’t do weekends.

And thanks for standing guard against the multitude of folks who can’t seem to get a boat pointed the right way.

precisiondetails

Reaction score
This is just an incredible thread with an amazing story and journey. I can only imagine Steves dream of having this boat as he knows it’s one of mine as well. I can’t believe the head aches and his patience and how he has handled this (such a class act). I know a lot of us on here would not be as cool as have been admitted by many already in this thread.

With that said- I’m sorry you don’t even like the boat right now anymore. I hope that can change for him, as he starts to have trouble free boating for him and his son and family to really enjoy!
Will all this being over (we all have fingers crossed) the past is in the rear view and the road looks smooth ahead.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
This is just an incredible thread with an amazing story and journey. I can only imagine Steves dream of having this boat as he knows it’s one of mine as well. I can’t believe the head aches and his patience and how he has handled this (such a class act). I know a lot of us on here would not be as cool as have been admitted by many already in this thread.

With that said- I’m sorry you don’t even like the boat right now anymore. I hope that can change for him, as he starts to have trouble free boating for him and his son and family to really enjoy!
Will all this being over (we all have fingers crossed) the past is in the rear view and the road looks smooth ahead.
As far as my feelings about the boat. Only a fool or the village idiot would still be happy. I’m not either.

Maybe my next week in the water can change things.

RichL

Reaction score
It sounds like this is finally starting to come together for you. I sure hope so. Congratulations and best of luck moving forward.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
As far as my feelings about the boat. Only a fool or the village idiot would still be happy. I’m not either.

Maybe my next week in the water can change things.
It'll wash over you with successful outings Steve.... just give it time. I flew down to Puerto Vallarta to help bring my buddies yacht up 1100 miles back to Newport. We were supposed to be at sea maybe 4 nights running around the clock... well, we ran into 15' seas crossing Sea of Mexico and had to duck into Cabo to let storm pass. All in I think it was 10 days at sea and couple sleepless nights due to conditions so much more than we bargained for. It took me maybe 3-6 months before I could even look at that fucking boat as I went by in my boat... just turned my gut seeing it. Hell, I didn't even take my boat out for many months after that trip. But over time these negatives run their course and you get back to why you boat at all. Just give it time and settle in as she begins performing as you dreamed about before your build.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
It'll wash over you with successful outings Steve.... just give it time. I flew down to Puerto Vallarta to help bring my buddies yacht up 1100 miles back to Newport. We were supposed to be at sea maybe 4 nights running around the clock... well, we ran into 15' seas crossing Sea of Mexico and had to duck into Cabo to let storm pass. All in I think it was 10 days at sea and couple sleepless nights due to conditions so much more than we bargained for. It took me maybe 3-6 months before I could even look at that fucking boat as I went by in my boat... just turned my gut seeing it. Hell, I didn't even take my boat out for many months after that trip. But over time these negatives run their course and you get back to why you boat at all. Just give it time and settle in as she begins performing as you dreamed about before your build.
“Turned my Gut” that’s the exact feeling.

But thanks for the positive message

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So…… no more warranty, so time for …… stage 3’s now?

🤣 just kidding super stoked to see she’s nearing completion and looking like finally correct.
If you head up river towards Pirates this coming week hopefully we run into each other again.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
So…… no more warranty, so time for …… stage 3’s now?

🤣 just kidding super stoked to see she’s nearing completion and looking like finally correct.
If you head up river towards Pirates this coming week hopefully we run into each other again.
I’ve been wanting to drive up there. But I’d like to follow someone through the entrance. I’m sure I can find someone

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Hopefully like a bad round of golf, a chip in from off the green will turn it all around.

I know you’ve mentioned your biggest disappointment has been your son wanting the family to all go out together. With your whole program now setup to accomplish that, I’m looking forward to the big ass smile on his face turning things around for you!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Hopefully like a bad round of golf, a chip in from off the green will turn it all around.

I know you’ve mentioned your biggest disappointment has been your son wanting the family to all go out together. With your whole program now setup to accomplish that, I’m looking forward to the big ass smile on his face turning things around for you!
I think it’s actually gonna be fine. All the issues have been fuel pumps. The new system is different from soup to nuts.

I need to stop being such a little bitch and enjoy this thing. 😃

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Looks unbelievable. That’s a lot of boat to detail! I’m always shocked how much more work my buddies 35’ is than ours. That’s a ton of crawling around on the deck.
Deck, under bustle, engine room, engine hatches, trailer, interior

It’s a big damn job. But, enjoyable. Good music, take breaks.

The funny part is, the cleaning is the same, whether it’s a 30 minute test or 3-4 days in the water.

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
Looks unbelievable. That’s a lot of boat to detail! I’m always shocked how much more work my buddies 35’ is than ours. That’s a ton of crawling around on the deck.
My 28' closed bow V is exhausting, and its nowhere near as wide as these cats. Insane amount of elbow grease. All respect.

DWC

Reaction score
Deck, under bustle, engine room, engine hatches, trailer, interior

It’s a big damn job. But, enjoyable. Good music, take breaks.

The funny part is, the cleaning is the same, whether it’s a 30 minute test or 3-4 days in the water.

I explain that to my wife when she wants to go out on the water for a couple hours on a Sunday. It’s fine if we have a group. When it’s just me it’s a hell of a job. I use a swiffer for the inside on quick clean-ups. It helps a little.
I’ve never tracked how much product i go through a season. I know it’s quite a bit

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I explain that to my wife when she wants to go out on the water for a couple hours on a Sunday. It’s fine if we have a group. When it’s just me it’s a hell of a job. I use a swiffer for the inside on quick clean-ups. It helps a little.
I’ve never tracked how much product i go through a season. I know it’s quite a bit
FF6A60F0-5F97-4E22-99CA-943BD45A1741.jpeg

That much. 😃

DWC

Reaction score
My 28' closed bow V is exhausting, and its nowhere near as wide as these cats. Insane amount of elbow grease. All respect.
I’m sure the closed bow makes a big difference. The scariest part to be are the edges. Sitting on top with the boat on a trailer is a huge drop.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
@DWC Let me know if you need an extra set up hands. I was going to post up that I’d give just about anything to see the boat on the water. Was even going to ask @nganga to post up when and where he was going to be. I was thinking about launching to try to get his boat on video. 👍

I’ll be the sacrificial drives if you want to head up next Saturday.. 😉😬

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
@DWC Let me know if you need an extra set up hands. I was going to post up that I’d give just about anything to see the boat on the water. Was even going to ask @nganga to post up when and where he was going to be. I was thinking about launching to try to get his boat on video. 👍
Will do. Should be in town late Friday. Boss has the Vid so could be earlier 😬

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Will do. Should be in town late Friday. Boss has the Vid so could be earlier 😬

Oh, my you better isolate stat!!! No better way than being in the middle of a body of water. 👍 Don’t worry about me I have the antibodies.

DWC

Reaction score
Oh, my you better isolate stat!!! No better way than being in the middle of a body of water. 👍 Don’t worry about me I have the antibodies.
I haven’t seen him for a couple months. I’m good.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I think it’s actually gonna be fine. All the issues have been fuel pumps. The new system is different from soup to nuts.

I need to stop being such a little bitch and enjoy this thing. 😃
If you need someone to go out with you I am free everyday.:):)

counterpart7

Reaction score
Saw you headed out of Wickenburg, honked and waved! Boat looks insane cruising down the road! My wife in the truck behind me called me immediately and let me know here jaw hit the floor! 😂