WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Been meaning to put this up for a while. Most know that building a Skater isn't a short process. Long periods of time go by with seemingly no progress, so updating a build thread would prove slow.

There's been enough behind the build now, progress is moving well. The boat is supposed to be in my hands, prior Desert Storm, 2020.

The date on the sales contract was 2-5-2019, for perspective.

I think once folks see how detailed the process is, they will understand why they take upwards of two years to produce. Skater flat does things, others just don't do, thus taking copious amounts of time.

I'm no expert on building boats. I may not explain some of this properly or use wrong terminology. I Just wanted to share a different manufacturing process with the forum.

IMG_3875.JPG

Foam core, Balsa and Carbon Fiber. Some bagging already.

IMG_5398.JPEG

Bulkheads going in.

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

This picture shows the amount of bulkheads. The cockpit and engine bays are discernible now.

IMG_0057.JPG

The bulkhead material itself is interesting. Foam core, balsa core sandwiched with Carbon Fiber. Fuel tanks can be seen on the left.

More to add later today.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I certainly hope you have it by Desert Storm but wouldn't hold my breath.
Let me know when you need a ride in a slow Skater so yours will feel that much faster......:D

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I certainly hope you have it by Desert Storm but wouldn't hold my breath.
Let me know when you need a ride in a slow Skater so yours will feel that much faster......:D

Here's where I fall on this. If it's done for DS, fantastic. If its not, no big deal. I want it, when its done. I knew how long this takes when I ordered it. I was and am willing to wait for it.

It'll be at Big Cat worst case.

Steve

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Here's where I fall on this. If it's done for DS, fantastic. If its not, no big deal. I want it, when its done. I knew how long this takes when I ordered it. I was and am willing to wait for it.

It'll be at Big Cat worst case.

Steve

Please wave as you fly by me... ....:D

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Skater, being a full custom manufacturer, will do about anything you want. They will narrow or widen your boat. @getreal had his widened I think 19". They also offer a "lo-pro" cut, which I opted for. Cutting it down gives it a much sleeker and I think sexier, almost organic look. Here's my cut. As you can see it appears to be 8-10 " cut.

One of the many advantages of having a "flatdeck" boat, the height and width don't matter.

cutdown.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
Looks like its going to be a kick ass build, looking forward to watching the progress with your updates and pictures!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
skater 23.jpg

skater 22.jpg

Sanding, shaping. There are some deck profile features actually sanded into the deck. The Large single deck hatch I chose is visible now, as is the hatch register. Skater offers a large choice in hatches. I picked the big single. Its big enough for any camping gear, large tents, shades or luggage. It extends down into the sponsons.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It's looking FANTASTIC!! I love the idea of a large single hatch. You could crawl down there if you ever had an emergency & fender/line stowage should be very simple. Congrats

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I tried like hell to talk him into green.:cool:
If done right green is sinister as all get out.
Rumor has it, it will be red.
Their paint guy is talented as F$&K!
It’s going to be bad ass.
(Thumbs up thingy here) F’n Dave! :mad:
Where’s the thumbs up thing?

Green? I think Green is rad...right now. I also think its gonna go out of popularity eventually. But all wouldn't be lost, I kept my pink Oakley M-frames and bell bottoms too. :D:D

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Lets talk bustles. If you upgrade to include a tunnel extension/bustle, you pretty much get whatever your mind can conceive. Wife and I looked at a bunch of different designs. The one on this red 46 we really liked. We also don't want to steal some else's design.

IMG_3573.JPG

This one as well. They're wiping this 388 down getting ready to start paint.

IMG_0523.JPG

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to post all these pictures and details. Can’t wait to see it when it’s done.:cool:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Awesome build thread thanks! Insane facility they have there, had no idea it was that big until I saw a shop tour video a little while back. Looks like the only molds are really for the bare hulls? The decks and bustles are all hand made is that correct?

precisiondetails

Reaction score
Awesome build thread thanks! Insane facility they have there, had no idea it was that big until I saw a shop tour video a little while back. Looks like the only molds are really for the bare hulls? The decks and bustles are all hand made is that correct?

yes that is correct.

and yes the skater factory is quite impressive. I’ve been there 3 times myself and always find out cool stuff.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

Correct. There isn't even a deck mold there. I think Its 90,000 square feet. Anyone who has any interest in performance catamarans, needs to visit Skater. The place has no signage at all, just a 8 x 10 picture taped to the front door.

IMG_0528.JPG

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I tried like hell to talk him into green.:cool:
If done right green is sinister as all get out.
Rumor has it, it will be red.
Their paint guy is talented as F$&K!
It’s going to be bad ass.
(Thumbs up thingy here) F’n Dave! :mad:
Where’s the thumbs up thing?

I don’t know Steve’s color choice but I’d bet my first born it won’t be green lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You didn’t sense I was being facetious [emoji16]
Bonus points for vocabulary:p
Correct. There isn't even a deck mold there. I think Its 90,000 square feet. Anyone who has any interest in performance catamarans, needs to visit Skater. The place has no signage at all, just a 8 x 10 picture taped to the front door.
Wow, all their decks are custom hand built deals? They have some talent working in that building. My God, I wouldn't want the be the guy who blocks and preps for paint either:confused:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Bonus points for vocabulary:p

Wow, all their decks are custom hand built deals? They have some talent working in that building. My God, I wouldn't want the be the guy who blocks and preps for paint either:confused:

Which is exactly why I said that people would begin to understand why it takes the time to build a Skater. We toured MTI the day after we initially toured Skater. while MTI builds an awesome boat, they are essentially a production boat company. The quote from MTI was significantly higher than the Skater.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What is the time frame of when these were taken is build?

The contract was signed and deposit sent, 2-5-19. There was a 368 in the mold ahead of me. It was 3-4 weeks before they even got it started, due to mold time. ~3 months in the mold. So, we're at 10 months or so now. I'll put so more picture up tonight when I get home. Its in body right now. The cockpit/windshield register is on. Lots of body work and sanding, before paint. I'm completely satisfied with their progress. "Enjoy the process" as this will be a one and done boat.

CLA

Reaction score
The 1350's are over 200K per side, with ridiculous refresh intervals. The 700's are ~150K for both, including M6 drives. These things become nearly un-insurable with 1350's as well.
Yea buddy I'm with ya on all that. I have a 36 cat with 700's, and insurance is getting harder/expensive for that.

You picked great power. Go ahead and do the better trannys.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing.. What an incredible build.

Reactions: CLA

DWC

Reaction score
What an awesome experience. Living the dream for sure. I’d love to do my own build someday. To have it be a Skater is next level. Congrats. Looking forward to the final product.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The 1350's are over 200K per side, with ridiculous refresh intervals. The 700's are ~150K for both, including M6 drives. These things become nearly un-insurable with 1350's as well.
I was going to ask why the 368 instead of a 388 but if you were planning on 700s, the 368 is probably a better boat for that power package correct?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I was going to ask why the 368 instead of a 388 but if you were planning on 700s, the 368 is probably a better boat for that power package correct?

The reason I went 368 is two-fold. First: size, My garage is 47' 6" deep. A 388 on a Skater tilt is over 49'. my 368 will be 45' max on the tilt. Second, I will boat Powell, Havasu mostly. 36' boat is all I want. The 388 with 700's would run pretty good anyway.

Last edited:

precisiondetails

Reaction score

the 368 weighs about 500 pounds less so yes that would be an ideal Skater for the 700s. The only difference with the 2 besides weight is that the 388 sponsons are each 1 inch wider. They both have a 65” tunnel. The 388 is simply a stretched 368. There is a 368 with stock 700s that has run 135 on stock 700s. I bet if Pete built a full carbon race lay up that it would do 138-140.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Another thing Skater offers is an 8 man cockpit in a 368. 4 up front, 4 in the rear. To accomplish this, they cut the cockpit opening 7 inches wider. I opted for the standard 6 man cockpit. I didn't want to give up the wider gunnel width you get to walk around the windshield.

This is the windshield mock-up guy. This give you an idea of just how big the cockpit is in a 6 man 388. (This isn't mine)

IMG_0526.JPG