WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

Skater368

Upon My Request This is all Folks Skater368/nganga
Reaction score
That interior is absolutely beautiful! LOVE the lights. Sitting in the boat at night will just be amazing. Great job buddy.

Thanks. I did some underwater lighting back there somewhere as well.

Skater368

Reaction score
pick it up April 6 and straight to Havasu

Lookin like Singleton hit the lottery. Engine hatches are in Paint for 1-1.5 weeks. I'm gonna give them the time needed and wait for two weeks from Saturday to leave for Skater. I should be heading back to Phoenix the 6th (my 60th birthday) or 7th.

I'm still planning on driving my Motorhome over to the Islander on the 11th.

Last edited:

Skater368

Reaction score
tilt assm.jpg

Skater368

Reaction score
Lookin like Singleton hit the lottery. Engine hatches are in Paint for 1-1.5 weeks. I'm gonna give them the time needed and wait for two weeks from Saturday to leave for Skater. I should be heading back to Phoenix the 6th (my 60th birthday) or 7th.

I'm still planning on driving my Motorhome over to the Islander on the 11th.

Correction...

I need to be just a bit smarter when looking at the calendar. I wont be leaving Phoenix until April 10. I will return (head back) probably the 13th. So I'll make a new plan on when I drive the MH over to Havasu.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Correction...

I need to be just a bit smarter when looking at the calendar. I wont be leaving Phoenix until April 10. I will return (head back) probably the 13th. So I'll make a new plan on when I drive the MH over to Havasu.

The events start the 15, with the power of RDP, you can find someone to help your wife and son get the MH to Havasu and you drive straight to Havasu from Skater.

Skater368

Reaction score
The events start the 15, with the power of RDP, you can find someone to help your wife and son get the MH to Havasu and you drive straight to Havasu from Skater.

Negative. I need to put it in the water once before I go anyway. It's a great Idea but it looks like Super-Cat Fest isn't really much of an event anyway. I'll probably be there the 17th or so. I won't miss any of DS. I'm trying to get in the Tres class April ~21-22. Its gonna be super tight for me but....

Looking forward to meeting you there.

Duramax

Reaction score
Negative. I need to put it in the water once before I go anyway. It's a great Idea but it looks like Super-Cat Fest isn't really much of an event anyway. I'll probably be there the 17th or so. I won't miss any of DS. I'm trying to get in the Tres class April ~21-22. Its gonna be super tight for me but....

Looking forward to meeting you there.
Let me know if you need any help dunking it in the first time before you head to Havasu.

Tank

Reaction score
HOLY FUCK! :oops: :oops:

I'd be worried to run that thing frankly. It's so shiny and new and beautiful and EXPENSIVE LOL.

I'm really impressed with how Skater has upped their interior and fit and finish game. I see Tony chimed in here but I truly think DCB pushed Skater and MTI and really the entire market to bring the creature comforts and custom touches and custom finish work and mainuut attention to detail up to such spectacular levels. Pete prided himself for so many years on building the fastest race boats on the circuit that were all business. You didn't need the creature comforts. I think he / they caught on a little slowly to the demand of the "bling" but BOY, did they catch on. Just WOW. Back lit LED side panels, mood lighting up under the gunnels, Alcantar mulit-tone seating? again, wow.

Congratulations man. Truly awesome. I hadn't checked in on the thread in a few weeks. It's so cool to see a member here build their (and most anyone's) dream boat and post the process. Really cool.

Can't wait to see it at DS.

Oh, by the way, AJ took the Shaun Torrent course a couple weeks ago and said it was fantastic and focuses solely on cats. Another option if need be.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

I'd be worried to run that thing frankly. It's so shiny and new and beautiful and EXPENSIVE LOL.

I'm really impressed with how Skater has upped their interior and fit and finish game. I see Tony chimed in here but I truly think DCB pushed Skater and MTI and really the entire market to bring the creature comforts and custom touches and custom finish work and mainuut attention to detail up to such spectacular levels. Pete prided himself for so many years on building the fastest race boats on the circuit that were all business. You didn't need the creature comforts. I think he / they caught on a little slowly to the demand of the "bling" but BOY, did they catch on. Just WOW. Back lit LED side panels, mood lighting up under the gunnels, Alcantar mulit-tone seating? again, wow.

Congratulations man. Truly awesome. I hadn't checked in on the thread in a few weeks. It's so cool to see a member here build their (and most anyone's) dream boat and post the process. Really cool.

Oh, by the way, AJ took the Shaun Torrent course a couple weeks ago and said it was fantastic and focuses solely on cats. Another option if need be.
Tankster.... what do ya think the chances are this old boy would take this beast into our water? Too pretty was my thinking... but he does hunt so he's a real man unafraid.... are these builds simply too low a profile with what looks like minimal freeboard? I have seen one or two out in Catalina but very rare sightings. I just looked again at interior and I can't see standing at the helm. More of an auto meets boating styled experience maybe?

Tank

Reaction score
Tankster.... what do ya think the chances are this old boy would take this beast into our water? Too pretty was my thinking... but he does hunt so he's a real man unafraid.... are these builds simply too low a profile with what looks like minimal freeboard? I have seen one or two out in Catalina but very rare sightings. I just looked again at interior and I can't see standing at the helm. More of an auto meets boating styled experience maybe?

Plenty, plenty, plenty Skaters have eaten up the Pacific Ocean water for years and years. When SCOPE was a big thing in the early 2000's there was a lot of Skaters in the club. They are race proven and eat up big water no problem. This 368 would make a great Catalina Flier! 😁 👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Plenty, plenty, plenty Skaters have eaten up the Pacific Ocean water for years and years. When SCOPE was a big thing in the early 2000's there was a lot of Skaters in the club. They are race proven and eat up big water no problem.
No kidding. Thanks... I'm a one dimensional boater thus far. However I am headed up to buddies for the weekend bball in Big Bear ... he's taking delivery of new pontoon boat so I'm expanding my water experiences.

Skater368

Reaction score

You've got Peter wired. He is completely old school in all aspects. Tony told me he doesn't even like windshields on boats. I've been very fortunate to build this boat. Not only just the boat itself but, there is a shelf life to Skaters that Peter Hledin have or will build. He does much hands on still today. I actually have though about having him sign the boat someplace. Much like Carroll Shelby signing an original Cobra. I couldn't care less about it for value but more along the lines of heritage of the name Skater and how synonymous Peter is with that word. Those who have sat with Peter in his conference room and felt the heritage, culture and traditions he built, will understand. They are more than simply a boat.

After all, Peter is to Performance Cats, what Carroll Shelby was to Performance cars. Someday, He'll be gone but his culture, tradition and lineage will live on. I'm honored to carry that.

As to interiors. Yes, Skater has upped their game. But, DCB, in my opinion has no peer. I've even told @Tony DCB Boats My interior is equivalent to Cadillac or a Lexus. DCB's are fine European Sports car fine. Lambo, Ferrari or Bugatti nice.

Last edited:

Skater368

Reaction score

Bill, Yea, she's pretty but I promise she'll dance. As you pointed out the hunting thing. I have some rifles that guys call "Safe Queens" ALL my stuff has been to Africa. I've carried these things hundreds, if not thousands of miles pursuing Buffalo and other DG. My wife and I have already talked about a trip over to Catalina. The low-pro cut doesn't bother me, I'll run it.

This Buffalo was shot in Northwest Tanzania by myself last year. I killed it with a Charles Osborne, 450-400 3-1/4" Double Rifle. This rifle was built in London in 1892. Life is too short to not use fine rifles OR boats for their intended purpose.

buffalo49.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
You've got Peter wired. He is completely old school in all aspects. Tony told me he doesn't even like windshields on boats. I've been very fortunate to build this boat. Not only just the boat itself but, there is a shelf life to Skaters that Peter Hledin have or will build. He does much hands on still today. I actually have though about having him sign the boat someplace. Much like Carroll Shelby signing an original Cobra. I couldn't care less about it for value but more along the lines of heritage of the name Skater and how synonymous Peter is with that word. Those who have sat with Peter in his conference room and felt the heritage, culture and traditions he built, will understand. They are more than simply a boat.

After all, Peter is to Performance Cats, what Carroll Shelby was to Performance cars. Someday, He'll be gone but his culture, tradition and lineage will live on. I'm honored to carry that.

As to interiors. Yes, Skater has upped their game. But, DCB, in my opinion has no peer. I've even told @Tony DCB Boats My interior is equivalent to Cadillac or a Lexus. DCB's are fine European Sports car fine. Lambo, Ferrari or Bugatti nice.

Agreed on all accounts.

And yes, the signature would be pretty cool. sign the dash like Shelby always used too would be kind'a cool.

Duramax

Reaction score

Absolutley. Being in his conference room and sitting at the table is great. As soon as my 40 pulled up, he knew exactly what boat it was, "first time we did a negative deck" etc,etc. He knows it all, and you are correct with getting your build in when he is still hands on. It sucks that he has no family that will take the wheel when he can no longer steer the ship. I will talk shit all day on how I got my boat, the shape it was in, and the amount of so-called good people who f**ked me over on it, but I will always be proud that I was part of the family for 6-7 years.
Your boat is amazing buddy, building it around your family even more so.

Skater368

Reaction score
Absolutley. Being in his conference room and sitting at the table is great. As soon as my 40 pulled up, he knew exactly what boat it was, "first time we did a negative deck" etc,etc. He knows it all, and you are correct with getting your build in when he is still hands on. It sucks that he has no family that will take the wheel when he can no longer steer the ship. I will talk shit all day on how I got my boat, the shape it was in, and the amount of so-called good people who f**ked me over on it, but I will always be proud that I was part of the family for 6-7 years.
Your boat is amazing buddy, building it around your family even more so.

100%.

I will admit that it gets frustrating at times when it seems things aren't moving forward. But keeping the goal in mind and knowing i will own and enjoy this thing for many years to come, always brings me back to earth.

Skater368

Reaction score
Funny, RD just posted this in the lounge.

D649C135-D828-4AC3-A269-991804B6DD28.jpeg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Bill, Yea, she's pretty but I promise she'll dance. As you pointed out the hunting thing. I have some rifles that guys call "Safe Queens" ALL my stuff has been to Africa. I've carried these things hundreds, if not thousands of miles pursuing Buffalo and other DG. My wife and I have already talked about a trip over to Catalina. The low-pro cut doesn't bother me, I'll run it.

This Buffalo was shot in Northwest Tanzania by myself last year. I killed it with a Charles Osborne, 450-400 3-1/4" Double Rifle. This rifle was built in London in 1892. Life is too short to not use fine rifles OR boats for their intended purpose.

View attachment 988192
Good to hear salt don't scare ya brutha.... my ocean experiences have elevated my life on boats.... been watching whales spout all week from my deck ... the reason I got into go fasts was driven by my view. When I go on buddies larger sport cruisers I have fun always but the visceral experience of speed in ocean for me is incomparable. Good for you to be considering this boat running in swells. Tanks the expert on your styled vessel .... and I was pleased to learn it can handle swells. I guess its all about the "Stuff" and how she comes up thru it ha. Tanzania..... yep I got a friend who has those styled picks too. Big boy stuff! Oh and I for one fully dig the builder signature concept....

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

You would be AMAZED what kind of water an inboard Skater can eat up.
This build has been INCREDIBLE to follow.
Thank you for sharing. Congratulations

McKay

Reaction score

View attachment 988192

This! Had a good hunting buddy who passed away almost a decade ago. He would always say, "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun." I say it often as I have buddies think I'm crazy to hunt with some of my rifles and shotguns as well.

Thought I had your number Steve but I just checked in my phone and can't find it. Will you PM it to me? When I know what my Havasu schedule is I'll reach out to you and see if your there. Would love to check out your build!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Plenty, plenty, plenty Skaters have eaten up the Pacific Ocean water for years and years. When SCOPE was a big thing in the early 2000's there was a lot of Skaters in the club. They are race proven and eat up big water no problem. This 368 would make a great Catalina Flier! 😁 👍
I've been playing on internet trying to get my mind around these 36' Skater type boats in ocean .... so last question.... given that the seats are basically car seating set on floors and I'm accustomed like you to the standing with bottom dropped wrap around design that enables us to take the landings with bent knees absorbing energy. How's the experience in one of these compare exactly? Am I looking through a salt crusted windshield and as you get air am I craning my neck attempting to see whats next after the nose falls? I gotta be missing something... or are these styled boats mostly for early morning runs before swells or winds come up.? Thanks Tankster.... my speed boats have all been 30' and under and my next will be in Cig 38ish I'm thinking so wanna make sure I'm not missing something with these cat designs.

Tank

Reaction score
I've been playing on internet trying to get my mind around these 36' Skater type boats in ocean .... so last question.... given that the seats are basically car seating set on floors and I'm accustomed like you to the standing with bottom dropped wrap around design that enables us to take the landings with bent knees absorbing energy. How's the experience in one of these compare exactly? Am I looking through a salt crusted windshield and as you get air am I craning my neck attempting to see whats next after the nose falls? I gotta be missing something... or are these styled boats mostly for early morning runs before swells or winds come up.? Thanks Tankster.... my speed boats have all been 30' and under and my next will be in Cig 38ish I'm thinking so wanna make sure I'm not missing something with these cat designs.

Sitting down in rough water isn't as horrible as you'd think. In BIG water and hard landings you can brace with your feet and arms / hands. Most that have switched from stand up boats to sit down say they'd never go back to stand up again. I've been in pretty snotty water in sit down cats and vee's and it's really not any worse than standing actually. Bill, they've been racing cats in HUGE water since the 80's. They do well and Skater has been there since pretty much the beginning. I mean, you're not gonna want to go out in 6' rollers with wind chop and white caps and get on it. But I wouldn't want to do that in a big Vee hull either frankly, I'm too old for that shit. I'm a fair weather boater these days. LOL

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Sitting down in rough water isn't as horrible as you'd think. In BIG water and hard landings you can brace with your feet and arms / hands. Most that have switched from stand up boats to sit down say they'd never go back to stand up again. I've been in pretty snotty water in sit down cats and vee's and it's really not any worse than standing actually. Bill, they've been racing cats in HUGE water since the 80's. They do well and Skater has been there since pretty much the beginning. I mean, you're not gonna want to go out in 6' rollers with wind chop and white caps and get on it. But I wouldn't want to do that in a big Vee hull either frankly, I'm too old for that shit. I'm a fair weather boater these days. LOL
Man I hear that.... I've been calling myself a flat water pussy for years. My spine appreciates my choices!

precisiondetails

Reaction score
Skaters eat up big water like no other cat and maybe no other boat period in normal slop. Forget about the big ones those are a given. But if you have ever run even a 28 like I did at Skaterfest 2013 I drove and the owner throttled. What a thrill ride and man that boat is beyond impressive for its size!!

Reactions: DWC

Skater368

Reaction score
Skaters eat up big water like no other cat and maybe no other boat period in normal slop. Forget about the big ones those are a given. But if you have ever run even a 28 like I did at Skaterfest 2013 I drove and the owner throttled. What a thrill ride and man that boat is beyond impressive for its size!!

Did you guys read that Lake Pleasant rolled an Outerlimits SL44 today?

I saw him heading to the lake on Saturday or Sunday on my bike ride. One injured and one missing.

Hoping for a good outcome

McKay

Reaction score
Did you guys read that Lake Pleasant rolled an Outerlimits SL44 today?

I saw him heading to the lake on Saturday or Sunday on my bike ride. One injured and one missing.

Hoping for a good outcome

Ya I seen that an hour ago. Sad. Wife missing, husband in hospital was the post.

Skater368

Reaction score
We really need a slobbering drooling emoji😎

Apparently your color palette and mine or about the same. That thing is so gorgeous it hurts me to look at it.
Sorry if that sounds gay, just so Bitchin!

No, it sounds like what I do. I have not seen the boat since before paint. My heart is pounding right now typing this thinking about that first time I see it sitting outside, shining like a new penny out in the sun. I'll be an absolute wreck as I tow it out onto the interstate.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Them boys in the paint booth deserve an attaboy or 3