WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, Octane has never been on the water with the boat or even sent anyone out to see the issues for themselves but rather make unfounded statements about what they think the problem is. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
My bet is that the shit and the fan are very close to meeting and rightfully so.
That's strange if correct. I would expect that the shop would want someone to see the issues first hand when trying to diagnose the problem.

Duramax

Reaction score
That's strange if correct. I would expect that the shop would want someone to see the issues first hand when trying to diagnose the problem.
I think I was wrong when I said that. I believe they looked at the codes after each time Steve took the boat out, and after a few things were done with no change in codes, they started to question the drivers ability.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I think I was wrong when I said that. I believe they looked at the codes after each time Steve took the boat out, and after a few things were done with no change in codes, they started to question the drivers ability.
For anyone to question Steve's ability is laughable and should be insulting especially if they were never in the boat while he was driving it.
Assumption is never a good trouble shooting tool.
Either way, I think the boat got sorted out so it is all water under the bridge now and Steve can finally enjoy the boat.

Tank

Reaction score
SPECTACULAR news its all figured out. Thank you very much for coming back on here & sharing your entire journey with us.
I wish you many smiles & miles in this incredible machine. Please try to remember every time you are fueling its about the smiles per gallon.
I would like to personally thank YOU for changing my vocabulary. I no longer use the R word. Sadly it wasn't something I had thought of prior to this thread.
Happy 4th to you & your family. Please let me know if you need dock space or truck & trailer parking when you are here for Shootout.

I 2nd this as well. Not in my daily vocab but I never really thought about it before. When I read Steve's post I started making a concentrated effort to be cognoscente of not only my own speech but also my kids and their friends as it seems to be thrown around lot. So now I correct them, explain why they shouldn't say it and it's actually working. And I think of @nganga heartfelt post while doing so 👍

So, for what it's worth Steve, you pointed out a deficiency in some of our speech that should be addressed and you got a few to actually change the way we talk, taking out an offensive word from our vocab. Hopefully that can be of some type of solace and you'll feel comfortable checking in from time to time. Would be a shame to lose you from RDP over this as this thread is one of if not thee best threads ever on here and I always enjoyed your input on various other threads as well.

Tank

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
For anyone to question Steve's ability is laughable and should be insulting especially if they were never in the boat while he was driving it.
Assumption is never a good trouble shooting tool.
Either way, I think the boat got sorted out so it is all water under the bridge now and Steve can finally enjoy the boat.

Thanks Jeff.

I 2nd this as well. Not in my daily vocab but I never really thought about it before. When I read Steve's post I started making a concentrated effort to be cognoscente of not only my own speech but also my kids and their friends as it seems to be thrown around lot. So now I correct them, explain why they shouldn't say it and it's actually working. And I think of @nganga heartfelt post while doing so 👍

So, for what it's worth Steve, you pointed out a deficiency in some of our speech that should be addressed and you got a few to actually change the way we talk, taking out an offensive word from our vocab. Hopefully that can be of some type of solace and you'll feel comfortable checking in from time to time. Would be a shame to lose you from RDP over this as this thread is one of if not thee best threads ever on here and I always enjoyed your input on various other threads as well.

Tank

Tank, Very much appreciate your well articulated post.

For anyone who hasn't lived in ones shoes to assume it shouldn't be a problem is short sighted to say the least. Holding your child in your arms as she takes her last breath changes one. I swore to Brian after his sister died in our arms, I would always defend those who cannot defend themselves. I felt then and still do today, a strong and civil society will (should) always defend those who cannot defend themselves. Funny, there are those in the P&G section who refer to me as "Woke", fucking ridiculous.

In my farewell post, I stated that I liked it here and didn't want to leave. But...there are community standards here. Those standards are set by one person. As long as those standards are what they are, this is a community I cannot, regardless of my desires, be a part of. As @Instigator can attest to, I can be a "wee bit" pig headed. So, it is what it is. I'll be looking forward to meeting everyone here on the water at some point. I met a bunch at the DS street fair. Would have met more but DS saw fit to put both myself and Skater Mike with the rad 438 in the nosebleed section and the traffic was pretty light down at our end.

I enjoyed updating this thread as much as anyone did following it.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Tank

Not towards a person but solely as a swear word I’ve used it a few times and it’s crazy how bad i mentally abuse myself for it. I can’t say it’s gone but I’ll be honest I’ve definitely made a conscious effort. My son is special needs and it never was acknowledged by myself till this thread. So yea grown ass men can change when they have a solid lesson.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Not towards a person but solely as a swear word I’ve used it a few times and it’s crazy how bad i mentally abuse myself for it. I can’t say it’s gone but I’ll be honest I’ve definitely made a conscious effort. My son is special needs and it never was acknowledged by myself till this thread. So yea grown ass men can change when they have a solid lesson.

You'd be surprised how many special parents are members here.

Tony DCB Boats

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many special parents are members here.
Yes, Steve... It would amaze a lot of people for sure and the judging without knowing would cease as well.

You are a true blue individual.

Looking forward to seeing the 368 in person soon.
Good luck on your short little bike ride... LOL

-Tony

HitIt

Reaction score
yea, can you believe it?

low pressure pump caused all of it. The failed pumps metal shavings failed the hi-pres. pump
Just want to see if I have this right... I have an old 454 Mag in my boat that has an accessory mounted, belt driven seawater pump that has a mechanical fuel pump mounted to it. This assembly holds a few ounces of drive oil and is constantly contaminated with fuel. Mercs solution to this terrible design is to change the oil in it every 15 hours or something ridiculous like that. It is truly an awful implementation. Are we talking about the same thing here? Has Merc not figured out anything better in 25 years? I hope I am interpreting this incorrectly.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Yes, No and No....

Just want to see if I have this right... I have an old 454 Mag in my boat that has an accessory mounted, belt driven seawater pump that has a mechanical fuel pump mounted to it. This assembly holds a few ounces of drive oil and is constantly contaminated with fuel. Mercs solution to this terrible design is to change the oil in it every 15 hours or something ridiculous like that. It is truly an awful implementation. Are we talking about the same thing here? Yes Has Merc not figured out anything better in 25 years? No
I hope I am interpreting this incorrectly. No, you are correct, same pump....

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yes, Steve... It would amaze a lot of people for sure and the judging without knowing would cease as well.

-Tony
Short little bike ride😂

precisiondetails

Reaction score

-Tony
You could have seen it at the street fair. You had your chance!! With all the free time you have you should have gone and seen it. SMH

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Just want to see if I have this right... I have an old 454 Mag in my boat that has an accessory mounted, belt driven seawater pump that has a mechanical fuel pump mounted to it. This assembly holds a few ounces of drive oil and is constantly contaminated with fuel. Mercs solution to this terrible design is to change the oil in it every 15 hours or something ridiculous like that. It is truly an awful implementation. Are we talking about the same thing here? Has Merc not figured out anything better in 25 years? I hope I am interpreting this incorrectly.

Wonder if this would help the issue in the new ones.
A254B5A0-B705-4863-B700-979B403EA7AF.png

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

-Tony

Short little bike ride😂

Hey Gang!

Been out enjoying the boat some. Brian got his turn at the helm and didn't so easily give it up. He's hooked and it's all he talks about.

The two posts I quoted; I am partaking in the longest MTB race in the world starting August 20th. I fly to Kalispel, Montana the 18th and begin racing the 20th. It is called the Tour Divide, it is a completely self supported, ultra-distance adventure race. On normal years it starts in Banff, Alberta. Due to Covid and the Canadian border being closed, it is a border-border race this year. It begins at the Roosville border post in Montana, It terminates at Antelope Wells, New Mexico border post, ~2450 miles.

Some might remember I attempted this event in 2014. I wound up with Achilles tendon damage due to pushing my bike through endless field of snow. I am not sure why, but I have had this gut burning desire to finish this race. I hate leaving anything in my life, undone. I have been training 16-18 hours a week for some time now. My training is the reason my boat spends so much time in the garage. I have been extremely diligent to not miss my training. I have been working with a professional cycling coach for over 2 years to get myself and my mind ready.

I am doing an ITT (individual time trail) this time. The weather in August is favorable. I also didn't want to get caught up in the whole "vibe" of the "Grand Depart of the race in June either. You wind up riding with folks, you really shouldn't. They are either faster than you or slower than you, either one doesn't bode well for a finish. I will be on course with one other guy, who has been my training partner here in Phoenix. We will start together and stay together as long as it make sense.

I'm ready, my gear is ready, my heart mind and soul are ready.

I'm hoping for 20-22 days.

To my point; I'm going to put up a thread to follow along. There is a trail-tracking site called Trackleaders.com there, my daily progress can be followed, real time. So, should I just do it here? or put a new thread up in the lounge or someplace else?

I'll take some pictures of my bike/gear and put em up.

Cheers,

Steve

BingerFang

Reaction score
Hey Gang!

Been out enjoying the boat some. Brian got his turn at the helm and didn't so easily give it up. He's hooked and it's all he talks about.

The two posts I quoted; I am partaking in the longest MTB race in the world starting August 20th. I fly to Kalispel, Montana the 18th and begin racing the 20th. It is called the Tour Divide, it is a completely self supported, ultra-distance adventure race. On normal years it starts in Banff, Alberta. Due to Covid and the Canadian border being closed, it is a border-border race this year. It begins at the Roosville border post in Montana, It terminates at Antelope Wells, New Mexico border post, ~2450 miles.

Some might remember I attempted this event in 2014. I wound up with Achilles tendon damage due to pushing my bike through endless field of snow. I am not sure why, but I have had this gut burning desire to finish this race. I hate leaving anything in my life, undone. I have been training 16-18 hours a week for some time now. My training is the reason my boat spends so much time in the garage. I have been extremely diligent to not miss my training. I have been working with a professional cycling coach for over 2 years to get myself and my mind ready.

I am doing an ITT (individual time trail) this time. The weather in August is favorable. I also didn't want to get caught up in the whole "vibe" of the "Grand Depart of the race in June either. You wind up riding with folks, you really shouldn't. They are either faster than you or slower than you, either one doesn't bode well for a finish. I will be on course with one other guy, who has been my training partner here in Phoenix. We will start together and stay together as long as it make sense.

I'm ready, my gear is ready, my heart mind and soul are ready.

I'm hoping for 20-22 days.

To my point; I'm going to put up a thread to follow along. There is a trail-tracking site called Trackleaders.com there, my daily progress can be followed, real time. So, should I just do it here? or put a new thread up in the lounge or someplace else?

Cheers,

Steve

Put it up in the lounge, we’re all rootin for you. Good luck!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Bike is a purpose built Ti hardtail by Caletti cycles in Ca. The fork is a Lauf "boost" trail racer. It has carbon fiber spring blades. It is very good at absorbing the hi-frequency oscillations of wash-boarded, dirt, forest service roads. The front hub is a Son28, which acts as an alternator and generates enough power to run my Garmin, charge my phone and light. The bike weighed 47# complete with water before we started. First picture is in front of Mormon Lake lodge in Arizona.

tdbike1.jpg

tdbike2.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Bike is a purpose built Ti hardtail by Caletti cycles in Ca. The fork is a Lauf "boost" trail racer. It has carbon fiber spring blades. It is very good at absorbing the hi-frequency oscillations of wash-boarded, dirt, forest service roads. The front hub is a Son28, which acts as an alternator and generates enough power to run my Garmin, charge my phone and light. The bike weighed 47# complete with water before we started. First picture is in front of Mormon Lake lodge in Arizona.

View attachment 1033144

View attachment 1033146
I know a kid in Colorado who is a mountain bike fiend! Ate up with the sickness.
Forwarded him some shots of this bicycle and he flipped out on the “forks” 😂

Steve is a beast, you guys.
Here’s a guy that lives in the greater Phoenix area “training” in the high heat, sometimes monsoon rain, wind.
Here’s a guy that has sent me a text with a pic of his bicycle leaning against the sign that says Welcome to Wickenburg....

Good luck, Steve.
I know what kind of effort you are putting into this.
👍👍

And, don’t forget to post a link of the website that tracks the racers throughout the event👍

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Dude you’re insane, but damn that will be an adventure. So you and a partner will fly there, and ride to New Mexico with zero support except what is on your person? Yes you gotta post the link and better believe there’s a ton of us routing for you and your partner, but come September 15th we better have some pics of you and the family on the boat.

Is there an app to download and follow? I know some guys at work that have apps for their rides but they are not anything like this.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Dude you’re insane, but damn that will be an adventure. So you and a partner will fly there, and ride to New Mexico with zero support except what is on your person? Yes you gotta post the link and better believe there’s a ton of us routing for you and your partner, but come September 15th we better have some pics of you and the family on the boat.

Is there an app to download and follow? I know some guys at work that have apps for their rides but they are not anything like this.

What happens September 15th? @02HoWaRd26

Last edited:

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Hey Gang!

Cheers,

Steve
Just wanted to mention here Steve that if not the lounge then Dave just put up a new sub_forum titled Road Trip / Motorhome & RV Adventures which use to be the 18+ lounge.

Because undoubtedly, that trip is going to be an awesome adventure...Looking forward to your upcoming adventure...Be safe out there and I hope you like the new title under your username as it seems more fitting now than ever before. ;) < If you want something different, let me know.

Take care.:)

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

What happens September 15th? @02HoWaRd26
🤣🤣🤣 well if you start Aug 20’s and spend 20-22 days on the bike (you’re insane btw) i was figuring that’d give you 5-6 days to get home rest, hook truck to boat, and spend the 13-14th on the boat then post it up on the 15th 🤣😂🤣

Riverryder

Reaction score
@nganga congrats to you and your family! The pictures of him driving make this thread so much better then any thread on this entire site.
I know I continuously checked this thread for updates!!!
thank you for bringing us along!!!
Good luck to you on the race.
mans I hope one day you fly past me on the river so I can show my son the boat!!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
@02HoWaRd26

No sense in making you wait for that long. I took a couple shots last trip out. Yes, no vest. It's OK, we kept it under 100.

View attachment 1033351

View attachment 1033352
Ok you can leave again, we all finally see exactly what we’ve all been refreshing the thread for now. Move along nothing more to see now.

🤣I and am sure i speak for a lot of others here, am truly happy to see you back posting and these photo’s honestly gave me the chills. This is exactly what it’s all about.

Singleton

Reaction score
You are an amazing individual my friend.

that is an understatement. Steve aka @nganga is a solid individual that will do anything for his family.
Glad I got the chance to meet him and his family in person @ DS. He does not know it, but some of his posts and our conversations made me look internal and realize I could be a better person/dad to my daughter.

tripped38

Reaction score
My first post here. I joined this forum just to read this build thread. Beyond anything I can imagine. I actually love the idea of following this bike ride. Thank you for sharing all of the information on the boat build... and maybe a sub build on the bike... I actually just signed up for 2 different mtb races.... but nothing like what you are set out to do!

ENJOY THE RIDE! It sounds like you have done the hard part with the training!

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
My first post here. I joined this forum just to read this build thread. Beyond anything I can imagine. I actually love the idea of following this bike ride. Thank you for sharing all of the information on the boat build... and maybe a sub build on the bike... I actually just signed up for 2 different mtb races.... but nothing like what you are set out to do!

ENJOY THE RIDE! It sounds like you have done the hard part with the training!

Great 1st post, welcome

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the updates, and it's great to see the on the water pics. That's what this is all about.

Good luck to you in your mtb race. I can't imagine what an experience that must be.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Any updates on this badass rig? If you ever need a hand at pleasant, give me a shout, I’m right down the road.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yep... be great to see some vids posted. Thats a hard boat to hide if he's out running. He sounds like a dude with many hobbies though.

NOTSOFAST

Reaction score
Anybody heard from Steve on the MTB race? I looked at the tracker and it doesn't look like he got the result he was looking for.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Anybody heard from Steve on the MTB race? I looked at the tracker and it doesn't look like he got the result he was looking for.

He posted up in another thread this morning. I will try to dig it up.

Tank

Reaction score
i hope someone does an in depth write up on this boat. along with some ride along videos and fly-bys..
There's been some pretty good coverage so far.

SOTW has actually followed the build and done probably 4 stories on it. Would be cool to get the "final story" after bugs worked out and some quality, trouble free boating can occur.

Last edited:

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Tank i saw that one. Just was saying like a video with him. Like the video of that guy in the closed cabin outter limits.

Singleton

Reaction score

He and his riding partner pushed hard until the end, but decided to stop the ride a week into it. He mentioned, hardest thing he has ever attempted and the inclines were punishment.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
@Tank i saw that one. Just was saying like a video with him. Like the video of that guy in the closed cabin outter limits.
Oh we're all waiting on some sexy vids of this running but my take on Steve is that boating is just one of his hobbies. He's riding bikes and off killing wild animals around the world. Doesn't strike me as a guy getting up a builders ass while sitting at home twiddling thumbs. [That'd be me]

So we wait.... all the publicity around this build sure doesn't do Skater any favors. As I recall this one's got gremlins needing to be extracated.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
He and his riding partner pushed hard until the end, but decided to stop the ride a week into it. He mentioned, hardest thing he has ever attempted and the inclines were punishment.

We bailed out on the morning of day 9 or 10? I really don't recall. We rode through Wise river, re-supplied and had a flat 30 mile section of the "Scenic Byway" to ride. that 30 miles was absolutely excruciating for some reason. In any case, we camped at 9000' that night and woke to 24 degrees. Frost on everything, no-where to go to get warmed up. No fires allowed in Montana due to wild-fires.

We got dressed, hit the road. We rode one mile of flat, then 27 miles of climbing. We were planning on a big warm breakfast at a place called Russ Kipps "High Country Lodge" he's been a bike friendly place to get a meal and rest. We rode in and were greeted by a hunting guide. He told us Russ sold out and this place isn't like it was, we hunt and ride snowmachines. Well, I can talk hunting pretty fluently, he invited us in for coffee. We were completed shattered physically. We decided to bail at route mile 795 on day 9 (or 10)?

Now we needed to figure out how to get out. The hunting guide and I were getting along famously. He offered for his Grandmother to give us a ride back to Butte. So, we accepted.

Got back to Butte, stayed at the KOA on more night. Next day had to figure out how to get our bikes shipped back. We rode to a UPS store. No bike boxes. She suggested to ride down to the UPS freight terminal. We did and they gave us full access to all the shipping supplies. We boxed out stuff up, and walked back into town. Bought street clothes and walked to the airport. Got a late flight home.

I'll readily admit that this race course is too much for me. Today, 3-1/2 weeks later my left shoulder still doesn't work properly. The odd angle you are in to push a bike uphill for extended period, completely fucked my trapezoid. Been going to therapy. So, I'm 0-2 for the Tour Divide. I have no desire to go back.

Long story short, boat still has issues. It is now at Barrett and AJ is working to get it done for me by Thursday next week.

@[email protected]

You're correct, I have so many hobbies and interests. I have a home in Flagstaff I got to a lot, Bikes, Guns, Cars and Fishing so boating is just one of them. Hope to meet a bunch of you guys at MS.

Cheers,

Steve
start.jpg

montana.jpg

gps.jpg

cabinm.jpg

Added some pictures.

The GPS image is indicative of what days were like. Look close at it. There is 11.7 miles left on this climb & 2900'. NEXT CLIMB is only 12.9 miles away. 1.2 miles of rest before the next one. Climbs like that are 3-5 MPH. I don't take many pictures when riding or racing.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
There's been some pretty good coverage so far.

SOTW has actually followed the build and done probably 4 stories on it. Would be cool to get the "final story" after bugs worked out and some quality, trouble free boating can occur.

Yea, Matt and I talked a bunch. Solid guy. He did talk about doing an article once it was done.

Tank

Reaction score
Yea, Matt and I talked a bunch. Solid guy. He did talk about doing an article once it was done.
I was texting with him and jason a bit ago. Think that's the plan. :) 👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Between you & Tank sounds like you're both keeping AJ busy. Tanks being super patient ;)
With all the shipping tankers backed up off our coast I bet you guys are both victims of part backlogs.

Last edited: