Hey at that pace your boat is still going faster then mine haha
Looks fast even at that pace!

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Hey at that pace your boat is still going fast then mine haha
Looks fast even at that pace!
I've found 65 to be a good cruise speed. ~3200 rpm, 0-1 PSI boost and very low GPH fuel. Boat feels sluggish and heavy at that speed. But at 80-85, which is the wife's limit, it's just packing good air, and it's difficult to keep it from taking off and running 90-95, then I have to either pull power, or trim and then it wants to hop. So 65 is an easy to drive speed.

Boat really wants to run 105 all the time. It's nice and light, handles really well, just purring along.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I've found 65 to be a good cruise speed. ~3200 rpm, 0-1 PSI boost and very low GPH fuel. Boat feels sluggish and heavy at that speed. But at 80-85, which is the wife's limit, it's just packing good air, and it's difficult to keep it from taking off and running 90-95, then I have to either pull power, or trim and then it wants to hop. So 65 is an easy to drive speed.

Boat really wants to run 105 all the time. It's nice and light, handles really well, just purring along.
Have you had it out again since havasu?

Riverryder

Reaction score
@nganga fuck! When I read that all I could do is smile man! That’s so awesome to have something that is capable to do thos speeds! Thank you so much for sharing that!
How fast have you got it? I know last trip was just a shake down to make sure it was fixed.

I saw a video Paul posted of his skated doing like 160
And it didn’t really more or anything. Thought these things at 90-100 felt like normal boats at 60-80?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Have you had it out again since havasu?
No, we've been doing other stuff. I need to change a bunch of Zinc plated adapters over to SS tomorrow. When I did it, some SS were not available. Got em' all now and also adding 2, Fuelab Fuel check valves. When I shut off the engines, the pressure bleeds back through the pumps.

I'm going to go do a day trip to Roosevelt soon. It's a pretty big lake with no traffic, only a couple hours from me.

Swain

Reaction score

Re program the speedo that your wife can see so it on goes to 80 MPH :cool:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Hey Steve I have a question. I read back through this thread and maybe I missed it. There are a lot of 700s out there. Why don’t they see more problems with them? Why yours? Or do they see more problems? Thanks.

Singleton

Reaction score
Hey Steve I have a question. I read back through this thread and maybe I missed it. There are a lot of 700s out there. Why don’t they see more problems with them? Why yours? Or do they see more problems? Thanks.

Others have experienced the same problem. The new fuel pumps Steve installed seem to be the common fix and if you upgrade the 700’s, the fuel system gets upgraded as well. Most folks with 700’s are not as open as Steve is with the issue and resolution.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

Others have experienced the same problem. The new fuel pumps Steve installed seem to be the common fix and if you upgrade the 700’s, the fuel system gets upgraded as well. Most folks with 700’s are not as open as Steve is with the issue and resolution.

Singleton is right I think. I've been completely open book on this. issue. I believe many people would be embarrassed they spend xxx,xxx and came up with a shit-box that doesn't work. I'm certain that had I not taken control of this, it would still be a problem. I know of two other (Non-Skater) brand spankin new boats with the exact same problem. Neither one wants it known.

There are many many 700 boats from before Mercury stopping production of these. My thinking is that there was an Aeromotive change to the pumps in between stopping and restarting and they weren't a problem. I'll take the word of three of the countries premier boat engine builders that what I did is the right path forward.

I've spoke to other, custom, high performance, boat builders that have not had a single issue as well. others have.

I have one last item to add to the boat. These are #8 JIC Fuelab check vales. The Weldon pumps I went with don't seem to have internal checks. When I "key-up", the pumps run 3 seconds, then shut off, per Mercury ECM. They run again when the crank trigger tells the computer the engine is running (or turning over). In between key-up and start, the pressure bleeds back thru the pumps. These will keep pressure in the fuel system.

It may sound crazy, but I'm kinda glad I performed the repair, myself. I have learned so much more about the operating systems of this boat, its amazing.

fuelab.jpg

Last edited:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

Thanks. So it’s not all of them but there is the fix. And I get that some are closed lip

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Singleton is right I think. I've been completely open book on this. issue. I believe many people would be embarrassed they spend xxx,xxx and came up with a shit-box that doesn't work. I'm certain that had I not taken control of this, it would still be a problem. I know of two other (Non-Skater) brand spankin new boats with the exact same problem. Neither one wants it known.

There are many many 700 boats from before Mercury stopping production of these. My thinking is that there was an Aeromotive change to the pumps in between stopping and restarting and they weren't a problem. I'll take the word of three of the countries premier boat engine builders that what I did is the right path forward.

I've spoke to other, custom, high performance, boat builders that have not had a single issue as well. others have.

I have one last item to add to the boat. These are #8 JIC Fuelab check vales. The Weldon pumps I went with don't seem to have internal checks. When I "key-up", the pumps run 3 seconds, then shut off, per Mercury ECM. They run again when the crank trigger tells the computer the engine is running (or turning over). In between key-up and start, the pressure bleeds back thru the pumps. These will keep pressure in the fuel system.

It may sound crazy, but I'm kinda glad I performed the repair, myself. I have learned so much more about the operating systems of this boat, its amazing.

View attachment 1128361

Thanks Steve, just seems odd why they wouldn’t address it and kill the issue. And I totally get people not wanting to bring it to light after slapping down the money. Thanks again👍🏻 Just glad to hear you are liking the boat again, “She’s a brute Clark”😂

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. I was wondering. 😬

Been wanting to ask but wanted to do it in the right way. Steve is way level headed and we’ve had some good conversations on the forum. 👍🏻👍🏻

last1

Reaction score
Yes very common. Have a relative that has a 2017 382 Formula that has had this problem. 700s & M 8s.

last1

Reaction score
Good question. He bought the boat used, 1 year old. Had a few gremlins that needed worked out. He has it pretty well dialed now. I think the guy that orded it new wanted 8 drives. Should have been 6s. Had fuel issues like others. New fuel pumps and now it works. Runs close to triple digits. We were with him for the Orange Beach Fpb run about a month ago, lost a trim tab hose on Saturday. Still had a good weekend, just ran the rest of the day slower. Texas Outlaw this weekend for him. They live in the Houston area. We live in Glendale Az not to far from you. It's good to know you your finaly running like you should have been a year ago.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Good question. He bought the boat used, 1 year old. Had a few gremlins that needed worked out. He has it pretty well dialed now. I think the guy that orded it new wanted 8 drives. Should have been 6s. Had fuel issues like others. New fuel pumps and now it works. Runs close to triple digits. We were with him for the Orange Beach Fpb run about a month ago, lost a trim tab hose on Saturday. Still had a good weekend, just ran the rest of the day slower. Texas Outlaw this weekend for him. They live in the Houston area. We live in Glendale Az not to far from you. It's good to know you your finaly running like you should have been a year ago.

May have been a X dimension thing as the 8 is shorter than the 6.
Other than that I can't imagine why, other than wanting to be a baller.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Perhaps?

@Duramax took me by Vern's shop and introduced me to Vern. Vern was showing me just how good a 6 drive can be with a few mods he's figured out. P3, which makes ~5000 HP has 6 drives. Just imagine the torque being transmitted through those drives, accelerating to 184 MPH in 3/4 mile.

I believe, and its just my assessment, that Mercury Racing came up with M8's to slow down the big power QV4C boats. It has ~10% more drag. Great unintended way to slow guys down without them even knowing it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Perhaps?

@Duramax took me by Vern's shop and introduced me to Vern. Vern was showing me just how good a 6 drive can be with a few mods he's figured out. P3, which makes ~5000 HP has 6 drives. Just imagine the torque being transmitted through those drives, accelerating to 184 MPH in 3/4 mile.

I believe, and its just my assessment, that Mercury Racing came up with M8's to slow down the big power QV4C boats. It has ~10% more drag. Great unintended way to slow guys down without them even knowing it.
Vern is a good guy, but that shop can make money disappear from your wallet quickly :)

Riverryder

Reaction score
how fast were you going in that second picture?

that thing looks so fast even on its side! haha

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
i saw that you posted this when you were going thru a no wake zone. is this normal to turn a motor off in a twin boat in no wake zone?
Not sure what normal is, but going thru the channel, both running one in gear. It idles at 4.5-5 on one, 7 on two. In the channel, I run up on other boats with both in gear.

In the gorge, the traffic was moving at 1-1.5 mph. It was impossible to go that speed even on one. So it was in/out/in/out far too much. The IAC can’t deal with it.

I’ll run up the gorge on weekdays when I can idle through on two

last1

Reaction score
They said they tried to talk him out of the 8s and go wilth 6s. The original owner that had it built new just said he wanted the 8s. Then he was not happy with the way it stuggled to get on plane.

Riverryder

Reaction score

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Sorting the fuel issue was obviously a big frustrating PITA, but I expect solving it brought just as much self satisfaction in being able to finally say "PROBLEM SOLVED!"

The flex city instagram post is nice but I need one with the 450 tow rig included!
Enjoy!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Steve was kind enough to drag me to Havasu with him and his family for a really fun four days. @Tommy Gun Images and Havasu Media flying the bird at 6:30 am doing their thing chasing us up and down the lake was awesome.

“Fair Chase” and her 700’s ran amazing all weekend. She easily makes Havasu feel tiny even in the worst and most confused water from all the wave tractors. Literally the rougher it got the more Fair Chase was in her element. Boat runs hard and smooth.

See video and pics below!

Hilarious... me filming Tom filming me 😂

Nobody ever takes pics of the photog lol

Singleton

Reaction score
Since Steve fixed the fuel system HIMSELF has it been trouble free? I’m glad he finally got it dialed if so. Complete bullshit he had to do it himself.
Zero issues since Steve redid the entire fuel delivery system.

Singleton

Reaction score
It was good meeting you and your wife, although briefly. We’ll have to catch up next trip.
same
Our Havasu season is completed. I head out mid October to put everything in storage until April.
time for desert and snowboard season

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Congrats on the success with the fuel system. It has to feel good knowing that you have a reliable boat! Hopefully we can cross paths this winter.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Stoked that this thing is on the water and ripping. I'm sure the pics don't do it justice, I can imagine that red is amazing and that purple has to pop in the sun.