WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ski or Snowboard

rocket98

Reaction score
I just booked our annual Ski trip today and I got to thinking about what is better. I ski my kids are split my two oldest boys Snowboard myself and my youngest daughter ski. When we go together my daughter and I just smoke em. I have never tried to snowboard a lot of people love it. What are the pro's and con's to both.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I just booked our annual Ski trip today and I got to thinking about what is better. I ski my kids are split my two oldest boys Snowboard myself and my youngest daughter ski. When we go together my daughter and I just smoke em. I have never tried to snowboard a lot of people love it. What are the pro's and con's to both.

Make sure to pad your ass if you planning on learning to snowboard cause you'll be on it a lot. :D
________
Volcano classic

Last edited:

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Where are you going?

rocket98

Reaction score
I am too old to start snowboarding. I get around on the ski's pretty good. Don't need any more pain. I like the apre-ski:beer

rocket98

Reaction score
We are going to Beaver Creek Colo. I have a condo for a week at spring break. Looking for some good weather and deep snow. I am trying to put together a trip for the boys in Feb. Anyone interested?

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
well skiing is mostly for lowerbody injuries and snowboarding is all about the upperbody injuries.:hmm

rocket98

Reaction score
well skiing is mostly for lowerbody injuries and snowboarding is all about the upperbody injuries.:hmm

Ouch........That does not sound good. I've only had 11 knee surgeries. Now Im not fast just consistent

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
We have a week reserved at Copper Mountain in Mid January. I tried the board one day and my hips still hurt. I Love to speed ski groomed blacks but need to work on the bumps and powder this year. Its good to get away from the crowds and the back side of the mountains are the place to be. Have a great trip.

RandyH

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
skiing is easier to learn, harder to master. Snowboarding hard to learn, easy to master. take your poison. Both are fun, but I now only snowboard... First time I snowboarded, I didn't take a lesson and it took me a while to get down the bunny slope, I hit the pub w/ an ice pack and tried again the following week, after you learn how to link a turn and not catch an edge, your golden! Once you catch an edge, you won't do it again!!

rocket98

Reaction score
We have a week reserved at Copper Mountain in Mid January. I tried the board one day and my hips still hurt. I Love to speed ski groomed blacks but need to work on the bumps and powder this year. Its good to get away from the crowds and the back side of the mountains are the place to be. Have a great trip.

RandyH

Boozer?

Gettin away from the crowds...that is what it's all about..used to ski the back side of Copper a lot ....Go over the pass and come ski with us. I am totally hooked up in Vail or Beaver Creek.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Boards are less likely to land you in the ER with a blown out knee. They have a very steep learning curve. Your ass and hands will be sore the next day. I had fairly tough hands at the time ( I hauled a LOT of hay) and snow boarding is the only thing I ever did that left significant bruses on them. I'm talking about the kind that last for weeks and can be seen draining down into my arms.

Of course coordination (of which I have little) would have helped.:rolleyes:

ROZ

Reaction score
If you surfed or have ridden a skateboard, you might have a rather easy time picking up snowboarding...

My daughter learned to ski and only wants to snowboard... time to get her in to sb classes ;)

As for me, I like both....

Looking forward to winter fun! :beer

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
If you snowboard, you will have to do some walking at the flat spots on the mountain. The great thing about snowboarding is you can do it anywhere with a little hill, you can build a pipe or jumps. If you're going to the Rockies, might as well Alpine ski. My knees won't take the jumping anyway.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score

Honestly Rick! Your better off staying with skiing! Boarding is not easy your first couple of times, and you will likely hate it being that you are good at skiing.

Plus your too old!:eek::D:D:D

oldschool

Reaction score
Since I don't get alot of days in any more, I stick with skiing. I figure it will take me atleast a few days to even begin to feel comfortable on a board. I know I'm going to have fun on the skis, plus if I like boarding I'll have to buy new gear.

catman-do

Winter sux, lets golf!
Reaction score
I do both. I was on Snow Summits race team for ski's until I was 11. Then I picked up a snowboard and didnt ski again until I was 26 (last year). I bought a pair of twin tip parabolics and love em. I deffinately still like to snowboard better, but there are times in which... for some reason, I just feel like ski'ing. Rails are easier on a snowboard. Up to a 360 is easier on a snowboard. Over that it is easier on ski's to me. Going fast either way is just as easy to me. Steeps are easier to me on a snowboard. I dont own "old guy" gear though. Im 6'2" and am on a 150 snowboard, and 165 ski's. Most people my size would be on a 156 snowboard, and conventional ski's between 185 and 210. Outside so-cal I tend to ski about half the time. In so-cal its almost all snowboarding.

rocket98

Reaction score
Honestly Rick! Your better off staying with skiing! Boarding is not easy your first couple of times, and you will likely hate it being that you are good at skiing.

Plus your too old!:eek::D:D:D

Jd

You forget I lived in Vail for ten years. Burton begged me to try his stuff.
I will show you who can hang. I'll let you know in the morning it's late and I am wore out.

Getting old SUX:beer