WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ski race harness

Daytona47

Reaction score
wanted to know if anyone can give me any insight on the ski race harnesses. I have never used one before and am sort of a beginner on the ski. My wife and I love to ski but are not able to walk to well for a few days after, probably bad technique more than anything. I am no expert but it looks like there is less stress on the back and you can ride for longer when using them. Any info on them would be appreciated

welldigger00

Reaction score
You’re gonna want to get better at skiing before you wrap up. You can maim yourself for life eating shit wrapped up. I’d stay arms out for a while...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
You’re gonna want to get better at skiing before you wrap up. You can maim yourself for life eating shit wrapped up. I’d stay arms out for a while...

That's probably some pretty sound advice. While skiing wrapped does not necessarily mean you will get hurt when you fall, the chances are certainly increased if you don't release your rear hand. I've got perhaps 38 years or so experience skiing wrapped up, learned it for ski racing and all of my fun skiing was and still is done that way, including the starts. Waiting on a boat right now to take me for a ski ride this morning.

Boat211

Reaction score
That's probably some pretty sound advice. While skiing wrapped does not necessarily mean you will get hurt when you fall, the chances are certainly increased if you don't release your rear hand. I've got perhaps 38 years or so experience skiing wrapped up, learned it for ski racing and all of my fun skiing was and still is done that way, including the starts. Waiting on a boat right now to take me for a ski ride this morning.
Jealous...I would love a ski ride this morning. Enjoy. Sorry for the hijack.

Wbinder

Reaction score
My biggest problem is getting the wrap around me once I’m up, whats the secret to that? I’ve tried getting up wrapped once and said nope not trying that again for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
My biggest problem is getting the wrap around me once I’m up, whats the secret to that? I’ve tried getting up wrapped once and said nope not trying that again for awhile

Do a small cut weather in or out of the wake, create some slack and pull the handles behind your back. Its this or muscle it. Hold the two handles above your *SS crack and keep your thumb on the outside of the grip. Once you have the back handles set you can re adjust by pulling on the front handle/ tape ect

welldigger00

Reaction score
It’s a timing thing. Stretch out forward, then pull like doing a row on a rowing machine, while pulling your arms back reach around your butt for the handle you’re gonna let go of. Be ready to abort. I have known several people that have pulled the handle up there arm when they wrecked. One lost an arm, one pulled their arm over their head but from the backside first, and lost use of their arm.

obnoxious001

Reaction score

A few different things you can try. I get up wrapped, no strain.

You can coordinate with the boat driver to have them get off the throttle and back on it again after you get the handles behind you. Depending on your weight, you probably can't just pull them back there. It makes it easier if you pull them down and back at the same time, while also putting your weight on the front of the ski so it doesn't drag as much, or actually may glide a bit. If that doesn't work, go outside the wake whip to the outside to create some slack in the line.

Daytona47

Reaction score
Sounds like they are a little
More dangerous than I thought. I will keep skiing with arms out for awhile. I saw a video of a harness that you hold the two handles infront of you, might be a little safer

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Sounds like they are a little
More dangerous than I thought. I will keep skiing with arms out for awhile. I saw a video of a harness that you hold the two handles infront of you, might be a little safer

If you ski in Parker, catch up with me one time so we can talk. You need to be aware of possible danger, but most I know who have been hurt were racing. As racers we get it in our heads not to let go.

When I was a kid people used to just pull the two handles behind them to rest or ski long distances, before it became common use in racing.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It’s a timing thing. Stretch out forward, then pull like doing a row on a rowing machine, while pulling your arms back reach around your butt for the handle you’re gonna let go of. Be ready to abort. I have known several people that have pulled the handle up there arm when they wrecked. One lost an arm, one pulled their arm over their head but from the backside first, and lost use of their arm.

True. I have a close friend that lost her arm and I know someone with a dead arm. Being wrapped up is no joke.

Daytona47

Reaction score
If you ski in Parker, catch up with me one time so we can talk. You need to be aware of possible danger, but most I know who have been hurt were racing. As racers we get it in our heads not to let go.

When I was a kid people used to just pull the two handles behind them to rest or ski long distances, before it became common use in racing.
Yes I have a place on the strip near the Dam I will be there the weekends of the 9th and 16th. We will have to link up

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
The harness you speak of is designed to be a safer option than wrapping up. Lee Squire and Dana Thorsen have been using them for years, both are very high level skiers. I spoke with Lee about his harness years ago. He told me it takes a little getting used to but is very comfortable. I believe Dana is on RDP but don't remember his screen name.

LB247XS

Reaction score
The harness you speak of is designed to be a safer option than wrapping up. Lee Squire and Dana Thorsen have been using them for years, both are very high level skiers. I spoke with Lee about his harness years ago. He told me it takes a little getting used to but is very comfortable. I believe Dana is on RDP but don't remember his screen name.
DANA'S name on here is OHHH YAAA, I am DANA's observer his harness is a bit different but really stable he play skis wrapped up though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Yes, I ski race with a harness, and have been for over 20 years. It’s great for racing my arms are hardly ever sore after a race. The starts were the hardest thing to get used to, but it didn’t take long. I have used it a few times play skiing in my 360 but it puts me too far forward on the smaller skis. The old saying knees bent arms bent doesn’t go with this harness. You start with your arms bent at the elbows. I think it might work with longer straps to go around the handles, but I haven’t messed with it. If you look at the Catalina Ski Race article on the front page of RDP there is a picture of me if you want to see what it looks like. If you have any questions or want to talk about it let me know.

LB247XS

Reaction score
I am actually in the process of possibly remaking the CHAZZ Bridles again i am searching for the right materials so i can get costs together for pricing. I spoke with Charlie's (RIP) sister and she gave me full blessings and permission to move forward on makibyg it happen

These are mine qhicyh will be getting a new facelift
20190904_153223.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk