WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ski Racing Question - Boat Classes???

Mondorally

Reaction score
Can someone give me a generic breakdown of the different classes? I briefly read the rule book but would like to hear from a different source.

Most beneficial would be to list common boat/motor combo's for the various classes in addition to the rules/restrictions.

Mondorally

Reaction score
Follow up question:

I have a 22' Schiada with a powerglide/#3 drive. Would this boat qualify for the Stock Boat Division? What motors are allowed? All I read is its limited to 502" for a Chevy and no mods to the factory installed carbs/injection or outdrive.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Are you thinking about the havasu race in Feb? Who's gonna hold the rope?

Mondorally

Reaction score
Are you thinking about the havasu race in Feb? Who's gonna hold the rope?

I doubt I could put something together by February....... but maybe:D...... Currently the boat has a blown 468 in it so I don't think it fits in any class as it sits.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I doubt I could put something together by February....... but maybe:D...... Currently the boat has a blown 468 in it so I don't think it fits in any class as it sits.

There's always a class it'll fit in.. just whether or not you'll be competitive in the class you get put in.. ;) :D

RD

Mondorally

Reaction score
There's always a class it'll fit in.. just whether or not you'll be competitive in the class you get put in.. ;) :D

RD

The old "Run what ya Brung" class. Hmmmnnnn. After selling my rally car last year I'm getting the competition bug again. :eek: Why do I have a feeling this is going to get expensive:swear:D

R

Retired Member

RD

I wouls have expected a more definative answer coming from Mr. Ski Race himself (RD). :D:D:D

The answer to your question is:
You wouldn't be pulling in a boat class, but rather a skier class. Meaning, there are a number of classes that are limited to boat style and ability (jet, outboard, stock boat, F1 and F2..... ther are a couple others but they slip my mind at the moment). The skier classes, which you would be pulling in, are limited to a number of factors (ski style and length, ability, ans age). You could pull in any of these classes, which include: Social (69" or less taper back, concave ski.... w/ hands out front), Pro Social (69" or less square back ski w/ hands out front), Novice (full race prep), then to age classes for both men and women (0-12, 13-16, 17-29 women, 17-25 men, 30-39 women, 25-32 men, 40+ women, 33-42 men, 43-50 men, 51+ men) and finally the open classes (anyone can enter the open classes). The Catalina Ski Race has a bit different structure for boats and skier classes, but I doubt you'd want to beat the crap out of yourself in that race. :D:D:D

Hope this helps. Ski racing is fun, but I was never one for sanctioned style racing. I always found it to be more fun to go out and race against boats up and down the river. ;) I had a fun run last Sunday behind Danny's DCM on the Maha Sitka-lite (basically a 360 that weighs 6 1/2lbs and has a lot of rocker on the bottom), we ran from the Keyes to Roadrunner at around 65 with some slowing for boat wakes..... It was fun!

The ski was designed more for this, taken the day before op6c:
op6cski.jpg

Mondorally

Reaction score
Thanks D. I'm thinking this is best discussed over a beer or 3 but here is another questions.

Can any boat pull any skier? Say if RD wanted to get towed :)fsakes theoretically of course:D) in the Social class, could he get pulled by my Schiada, Danny's DCM, or Trevor's Hallett? Or is he limited to what type of boat can pull for the Social class. Or to put it differently, can any given boat pull any class of skier?

R

Retired Member

Thanks D. I'm thinking this is best discussed over a beer or 3 but here is another questions.

Can any boat pull any skier? Say if RD wanted to get towed :)fsakes theoretically of course:D) in the Social class, could he get pulled by my Schiada, Danny's DCM, or Trevor's Hallett? Or is he limited to what type of boat can pull for the Social class. Or to put it differently, can any given boat pull any class of skier?

Yes, as long as it is skier class and not boat class. Also, they don't have the social classes in the marathon races. But, this year, they are trying a new format for Parker, where they will be running a few sprint races (usually 12-15 miles) in between the marathon races. The sprints are fun to watch, cause it's flat out the whole time. They are also toying with the idea of having speed classes, to which you can't go any faster then the alotted speed. This is check by a GPS that is in a black box in the boat. They are trying to generate more interest in the sport, as it is getting smaller and smaller each year.

boatnam2

Reaction score
[
The ski was designed more for this, taken the day before op6c:
op6cski.jpg
[/QUOTE]

some of the best photochop work i seen to date.:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yes, as long as it is skier class and not boat class. Also, they don't have the social classes in the marathon races. But, this year, they are trying a new format for Parker, where they will be running a few sprint races (usually 12-15 miles) in between the marathon races. The sprints are fun to watch, cause it's flat out the whole time. They are also toying with the idea of having speed classes, to which you can't go any faster then the alotted speed. This is check by a GPS that is in a black box in the boat. They are trying to generate more interest in the sport, as it is getting smaller and smaller each year.

Do you want to run one of those sprint classes?

RD

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Dennis,

They do have a socail class in the mini marathons.

Justin,

The only way to run stock boat is a sealed Mercruiser type motor (I believe it is a 496 or maybe 502) Stock Daycruiser is a bit different and I am not too sure of the differences between the two. Then there is unblown prop. Any naturally aspirated motor and and drive system. that is a fun class and we ran it for a few years. I runs with the womens race during the marathons. We pulled a real good skier and won a couple of the races overall.

I agree with you...sit down and discuss it over a beer or 3 :beer

D

Deleted Account

Or ski behind a Spectra. Big holes!;);):D

The up plate... :D

ALSO, anyone looking at this, please take a moment to think about Brendan Stout. He was racing behind "The Gun" in the bridge to bridge race recently in AUS. They were three boats wide and Brendan was in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck a submerged log. This kid is I believe 16 y/o and like his brother, sister and Father, he's real super fast on a ski.

He hit face first at over 100 and he had some serious head/brain injuries. Rudi Stout and his family are super people. Please think of all of them while they are working through this.

Thanks much. :)

DSC_5251.JPG

Here is a link:
http://www.skirace.net/?p=466

Attachments

• DSC_5320.jpg
    DSC_5320.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 149
R

Retired Member

The up plate... :D

ALSO, anyone looking at this, please take a moment to think about Brendan Stout. He was racing behind "The Gun" in the bridge to bridge race recently in AUS. They were three boats wide and Brendan was in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck a submerged log. This kid is I believe 16 y/o and like his brother, sister and Father, he's real super fast on a ski.

He hit face first at over 100 and he had some serious head/brain injuries. Rudi Stout and his family are super people. Please think of all of them while they are working through this.

Thanks much. :)

DSC_5251.JPG

Here is a link:
http://www.skirace.net/?p=466

Brendan is a good kid, met him in Austrailia last year and we all hung out in Catalina a few day before the ski race this year. Best wishes to a quick recovery!