WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skirace.net

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Since Robbie Llewellyn gave RDP a spiff on his site, after I got him over to look at the 1980 Catalina racers list that listed him skiing (he told me that was his first trip over here), figured we could return the favor.

He has a long running site, and a newsletter, check it out here: http://www.skirace.net/?p=2796

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Absolutely! :)

I subscribed to his news letter yesterday and look forward to reading it when ti comes out. :)

RD

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Absolutely! :)

I subscribed to his news letter yesterday and look forward to reading it when ti comes out. :)

RD

There was an "issue" this morning that had the link to the RDP spiff that I linked above, as well as something about the Puddingstone event from two weeks ago. If you go to his homepage it should show the same articles I believe.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There was an "issue" this morning that had the link to the RDP spiff that I linked above, as well as something about the Puddingstone event from two weeks ago. If you go to his homepage it should show the same articles I believe.

Speak english Barry.. I didn't understand what ya said.

That link takes forever to load btw.. maybe it's done wrong?

RD

Firecracker

I have no member
Reaction score
Robbie does a great job with his site. I go up once every couple of days to see the new news that hes got up. It is a wealth of information for water ski racing events throughout the world.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Speak english Barry.. I didn't understand what ya said.

That link takes forever to load btw.. maybe it's done wrong?

RD

Site is loading slow for me today, and tonight also.

What I said was I got a newsletter earlier today, with some little bit about RDP.

Oz Dude

Reaction score
www.letstalkskiracing.com is an aussie site that has photos, a forum and general information about ski racing australia and worldwide. It is linked to www.skirace.net and sometimes shares stories.

feel free to sign up, then you can submit photos, comment or question others.

I just opened up the website to take a look and saw a photo of "Two Hard" as a Random Image. I thought to myself Gee that pic looks familiar...

It is - it's one of mine!

So then I looked closer. Can you tell me why "Jim's Album" is full of MY photos?? My name isn't Jim... If yer gonna put the pics up I don't mind but I would at least like credit for the photos... If you can't put them up under my name then, as the owner of the pics, I would ask that you take em off the site...

I try to share my pics with people who appreciate them, and unlike the pros I don't stamp my logos all over em so they can be used as a desktop or the like, BUT I don't consent to them being copied wholesale, put up somewhere else, and under someone else's name.

Nice to know my work is being recognised, stolen, and used all over the net.

Oz

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I just opened up the website to take a look and saw a photo of "Two Hard" as a Random Image. I thought to myself Gee that pic looks familiar...

So then I looked closer. Can you tell me why "Jim's Album" is full of MY photos?? My name isn't Jim... If yer gonna put the pics up I don't mind but I would at least like credit for the photos... If you can't put them up under my name then, as the owner of the pics, I would ask that you take em off the site...

I try to share my pics with people who appreciate them, and unlike the pros I don't stamp my logos all over em so they can be used as a desktop or the like, BUT I don't consent to them being copied wholesale, put up somewhere else, and under someone else's name.

Oz

Good point! The NWSRA used to use some of my photos with my permission on their website, and on some of the race trophies, and they got used a couple of other places. I got one on the cover of the AWSA "Water Skier" magazine years ago, but I was compensated for that one and the ones that went with an article inside.

Reaction score

Oz

Sorry Mate, we just assumed that the 'owners' of the photo albums were the people that actually took the photos. Where 'jim' got these photos from is a mystery to me. If they are all your photos, we're happy to credit them to you in your own folder, if not and you'd prefer, we can take the photos down. The idea of the media gallery feature isn't to take other people's work and pass it off as 'our' or anyone else's, it is just to show like minded people relevant photos that might interest them. I've been in contact with some pro photographers before about similar situations, but since they are labelled, it is easier to recognise.

sorry again mate, guess you just can't trust anyone...

send me an email with how you'd like the situation handled and it will be sorted.

cheers
LetsTalk

Oz Dude

Reaction score
Letstalkskiracing PM'd me last night and we had a chat about what had happened. Let me start off by saying it wasn't him that did it and once he became aware, he took all steps possible to make the situation right.

The guy who put the gallery up on their website has taken it down and a warning has been posted to their members about posting images on mass that aren't their own.

We all copy images off the internet that we like, and that's why I don't put watermarks across stuff becasue someone might just want to use the pic for themself but it's also a matter of courtesy and Letstalkracing well and truly stepped up to the plate on this one.

Thanks,
Oz :thumbsup:thumbsup

Oz Dude

Reaction score
Good point! The NWSRA used to use some of my photos with my permission on their website, and on some of the race trophies, and they got used a couple of other places. I got one on the cover of the AWSA "Water Skier" magazine years ago, but I was compensated for that one and the ones that went with an article inside.

I wrote an article about my boat when I first rebuilt it 10 years ago. It started off very tired and we brought it back to life. I spoke to the editor of one of our boat mags here (Powerboat - since vanished) and they were keen on it. They asked me to put together the background and bring some pics. I met with them in their offices and they liked what they saw.

Imagine the smile on my face when someone I'd never met rang me telling me he was looking at the pics of my boat in the magazine. I grabbed a copy and there it was - 4 pages with pics, and all as I'd written it. I never thought they would use my words, but use the material and write their own story. Talk about proud of my work! The icing on top? I got paid for the article and also the pics :D

Here we are 10 years later and when people see the boat for the first time, I still get "I remember seeing this in Powerboat years ago". I even found out the other day that one of the guys a mate of mine knew form school, had my boat plastered all over his school folders. Made me smile about it all over again :champagne:

I didn't get a "cover shot" though obnoxious001 - well done on that sir!!

Oz

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear it worked out for ya.. As a site owner I can understand that it's sometimes an awkward position to be put in..

RD

Reaction score
Yeah it's been running like a slug this last few days. Will see if I can get that sorted these next few days.

EDIT: Now fixed

Site is loading slow for me today, and tonight also.

What I said was I got a newsletter earlier today, with some little bit about RDP.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yeah it's been running like a slug this last few days. Will see if I can get that sorted these next few days.

EDIT: Now fixed

Is that a hosting problem? If so shoot me a PM, I can probably beat whatever your paying for hosting and make it faster. :) .

RD

Reaction score
Cheers Dave. Upgrading to the latest version of Wordpress solved the issue. I think I had a few small files gone missing.

Thanks for the hosting offer. I'll stay where I am for now but will bear it in mind. I've no probs with the host and generally it's pretty good. Thanks again though Dave.

Is that a hosting problem? If so shoot me a PM, I can probably beat whatever your paying for hosting and make it faster. :) .

RD