WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sleep Number

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So my job lands me in a hotel three nights a week and sleep sucks all around because of it.
I seem to buy a new bed every two or three years and it’s time again, really thinking rather than the regular 15-2000$ bed to go nicer this time and do a sleep number. So who has and is happy vs upset with their purchase? Not a single bad review on their site so easy to imagine they control what actually gets posted vs what doesn’t.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
So my job lands me in a hotel three nights a week and sleep sucks all around because of it.
I seem to buy a new bed every two or three years and it’s time again, really thinking rather than the regular 15-2000$ bed to go nicer this time and do a sleep number. So who has and is happy vs upset with their purchase? Not a single bad review on their site so easy to imagine they control what actually gets posted vs what doesn’t.

I read a bunch of real world review on it and the consensus was that all the numbers were shitty and nothing was comfortable...plus, it sucked to fuck on.

Try one of those $300 foam mattresses from Amazon. I've had one for about 2 years now and it doesn't suck nearly as much as anything else I've slept on.

I seem to get the best sleep in a $60 costco zero-gravity beach chair in the back yard though.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I read a bunch of real world review on it and the consensus was that all the numbers were shitty and nothing was comfortable...plus, it sucked to fuck on.

Try one of those $300 foam mattresses from Amazon. I've had one for about 2 years now and it doesn't suck nearly as much as anything else I've slept on.

I seem to get the best sleep in a $60 costco zero-gravity beach chair in the back yard though.
I also have looked at “PurpleMattress.com” as well it’s the foam mattress delivered in a box.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
We own two sleep numbers. Zero issues.

basically the base is the same between all models. It’s the topper thickness and whatever other features you want. We love ours and my daughter has a full size bed so if we have guests they can set it how they want it and when she sleeps on it we can set it back to her setting.

don’t bother with the installation. If you can stuff some bags and foam into a cover and zip it you’re good to go. One thing to note, your bed/frame must have a flat surface all the way to the edges. I ended up building a flat base with some 1x12 and cab ply that sits inside our bed frame and big tufted headboard thing.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don't know much about them, but a friend bought one and didn't really care for it so after about 60 days returned it, but the expense and the hassle was so bad that he really badmouths them now.:p
We're pretty happy with the Serta I-comfort, a little more affordable than Temper Pedic.

Boat211

Reaction score
I bought one this past year. I have zero complaints and my sleep has improved.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I cant comment on Sleep number directly but I did have a knock off version of it and it was OK but not even close to our Tempurpedic. We've had the Tempurpedic for 17 years and love it.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I am going on 14 years on a sleep number, won't buy anything else....

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
On a recent trip up to Idaho to pick up our new truck, we stopped in Missoula Mt, to visit family and stayed the night with them. We slept great that night, of course we were tired but the bed was really comfortable. We asked them in the morning and it turns out we were on a Purple Mattress. We are due for a new bed and it looks like the direction we are taking.

Sandlord

Reaction score
After sleeping in a recliner for the past 6 months because of back issues I Got my Sleep Number bed yesterday.
I messed around with the settings until I customized the zero-g position to my liking.
It still needs a few more tweaks, but I slept a half hour longer than usual. 5 hours and 59 minutes with 1 pee break.
Now we'll see how that SleepIQ thing works to improve that.

rvrrun

Reaction score
We recently bought a new one for the house and our old one went to the Havi house. I never realized how crappy I slept out there until we brought it out. The older one has a foam top and the covering is falling apart a bit on it, but other than that they are comfy and worry free.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Went through the mattress replacement ordeal a few years ago. Tried the Sleep Number. Didn't care for it. Felt like I was sleeping on an air mattress. Company sent me out a foam topper but I still didn't like it. There is a foam divider in the middle of the two air mattresses so if you roll into it or are a spooner, its bad. Next bought the Costco Foam mattress and it also went back. Found Sleep On Latex and wife and I love it.

Consumers rated it a Best Buy... Attached is Mattress Ratings.

CR's Take
This bed-in-a-box delivers top performance at a reasonable price. Back sleepers can expect Excellent support, and side sleepers shouldn’t be disappointed either. The green materials—natural latex foam and organic cotton and wool—hold up well in durability testing. The mattress tends to trap body heat, making the sleeper feel warmer. And with a score of 7 out of 10 in CR’s firmness test, the “firm” in the name is spot-on.
About
The Sleep on Latex Pure Green Firm is part of the Mattress test program at Consumer Reports. In our lab tests, Mattress models like the Pure Green Firm are rated on multiple criteria, such as those listed below.

Petite side sleeper: Sleepers small in both height and weight.

Average side sleeper: An average of both the petite and large scores that applies to many people.

Large/Tall side sleeper: Side sleepers who are above 6 ft 2 inches tall and/or 220 pounds.

Attachments

• Mattress Ratings.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Englewood

Reaction score
Here is my analysis on them
I Spent $7k. I am an idiot. I got robbed.

Best mattress I ever got was from a ghetto mattress store and cost $600.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The main reason I like my sleep number is that it never changes year after year... Every conventional mattress I have had I feel like it starts breaking down and building the wall in the middle with two indentations from the first time I start sleeping in it. And I don't have to flip and rotate or whatever to maintain it.

... I have replaced the zip on top and the foam sides in my sleep number once at about the 12 year mark, I should have done it sooner.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Years ago I bought an early model from a guy on another boating site. We put a think foam topper over it and my wife swears it is the best set up EVER. We had worn out 3 expensive name brand mattresses in about a 5 year period. Ashley furniture was actually pretty good about warrantying them after they sacked out.
When one of the air bladders started leaking my wife found a guy online who makes all kinds of replacement parts for the sleep number beds in Ohio. Sleep Number won't help you unless you are the original buyer. And a firm mattress is always better for playtime, than a soft one. :rolleyes:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We dig our sleep number.
Purchased a more basic unit without all the bells/whistles. Zipped it open and added a bit of our own foam.
One thing is certain, you won't roll into a dip, these do not develop the dreaded low spot hole.

River Runnin

Reaction score
5K for an airbag! Said fk it after 3 months! And gave it away! :(

Meaney77

Reaction score
Another vote for the Amazon Mattress.... like many of you spent a ton of money on expensive beds and they all ended up sagging, manufactures wouldnt stand behind them so we ended up buying a $400 mattress off Amazon and it was money well spent, going on over 3 years.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We have had one for over 10 years and love it. Some friends had one and hated it, but their sleep numbers were significantly different. So one side of the bed is high (at a higher number) and the other side was really low (lower number). It made the middle a border between them. Lol

My wife and I have similar numbers, so we don’t even notice a divider between us.

We love our mattress.

gqchris

Reaction score
I have had one for 2 years now. I sleep at 100. For me, Softer equals more pain. I have come to the conclusion that it is affecting my lower back pain and sciatica every night. My back kills me every day.

My back actually felt better sleeping in a tent when at the Alamo lake ride.:eek: And last weekend I was in Vegas and slept on a bed at the Four Seasons. No back pain.

WTF. I guess I wasted 5 grand also. I'm in a delima on what to do with the thing. Wife loves it, she is at 40 psi though! I wouldnt be able to walk out of bed in morning if I slept at that!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We love our Sleep Number. So damn comfy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DWC

Reaction score
I have had one for 2 years now. I sleep at 100. For me, Softer equals more pain. I have come to the conclusion that it is affecting my lower back pain and sciatica every night. My back kills me every day.

My back actually felt better sleeping in a tent when at the Alamo lake ride.:eek: And last weekend I was in Vegas and slept on a bed at the Four Seasons. No back pain.

WTF. I guess I wasted 5 grand also. I'm in a delima on what to do with the thing. Wife loves it, she is at 40 psi though! I wouldnt be able to walk out of bed in morning if I slept at that!
Couldn’t agree more. We got a new mattress a few months ago. Firm as hell. Took a couple nights to get used to but my back is 10x better.

gqchris

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. We got a new mattress a few months ago. Firm as hell. Took a couple nights to get used to but my back is 10x better.

Let me know what you got Don. What did you do with the Sleep Number? Im still paying for this damn thing lol

DWC

Reaction score
Let me know what you got Don. What did you do with the Sleep Number? Im still paying for this damn thing lol
I’ll track it down when i get home tomorrow. We had an older soft bed. Completely wrecked my back. Same with hotels that have spongy beds. I wake up a wreck.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Best mattress I ever had was a waveless waterbed with a heating system, very peaceful sleep.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I bought one of these at Costco for the river pad 2 years. Had a 200$ instant rebate . What a difference it made. I like it better than my 1 at home that was a lot more. Next time I see them with the rebate will grab a King to swap mine out.
Screenshot_20200130-212116_Samsung Internet.jpg

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I love my sleep number. I have the upper end sleep number and a night doesn't go by when I have a smile on my face when I get in it. . They talked me into getting the liner thing to prevent whatever getting to the mattress, don't do it without it you can feel the difference, more comfortable. I mean if you piss the bed maybe so. :)

I got the dual adjustable sleep setting Momma got her setting I have mine.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Great thread. I’m on miscellaneous memory foam mattress number 3... with back and neck issues a bad night of sleep leaves me unable to move for a day or longer... I’m ready for an improvement but not sure the price is worth it... if it works I’m willing to spend...