WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

slot canyon off road help

riverroyal2

Reaction score
gents, where is slot canyon? Are there 2? Can you trailer to planet ranch then go?

My Riverroyal name is F'd up.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Why would you trailer to planet ranch to go. You can make it from havasu and back with a stop in wayside for fuel.

The slot canyon is a couple miles long

Or another slot canyon?

E294A290-D2BD-4035-BD16-DA5D9C5FDC1E.jpeg
39299171-5E1E-4B53-9A63-FDC9682018C7.jpeg

riverroyal2

Reaction score
Why would you trailer to planet ranch to go. You can make it from havasu and back with a stop in wayside for fuel.

The slot canyon is a couple miles long
why? That was kinda my question. So from havasu there and back is 100 plus miles?
I have no issues with trailering to a closer drop point. Remember I don't go 80 like you

riverroyal2

Reaction score
back to the question....where can we drop off? Where are these pics taken on a map. Also, we may do this Saturday

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
why? That was kinda my question. So from havasu there and back is 100 plus miles?
I have no issues with trailering to a closer drop point. Remember I don't go 80 like you

If you go to Planet ranch it is still an 80+ mile day.

There is a 200 foot long slot canyon southwest of Bison :)

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
From planet ranch it’s easy 100 round trip.
The one LOF posted is top secret
You can trailer to wayside and it’s a 40 mile round trip

DLC

Reaction score
I’m not sure….. but it might be easier to go to yucca and head down from their!

smoother ride! Plus you can pin it at 40 mph and really make some time…

Good Stuff

Reaction score
gents, where is slot canyon? Are there 2? Can you trailer to planet ranch then go?

My Riverroyal name is F'd up.
58 miles each way from the gas station at the south end of Havasu through the slot canyon at Alamo lake. Haven’t taken the drive yet but mapped it out on GAIA. I planned to do it as part of a 3 day loop through Hualapai mountains and Wikeup.

2Driver

Reaction score
Maggie wash…..You could stage at Shea rd and the aqueduct ( going out from Parker on Shea). Guess you could stage at Midway too. Or another option is stage in Wikieup and go in from there.

or carry gas and leave from Standard wash. Like I said I’m not sure you can cross the big sandy wash right now to get to wayside for fuel.

riverroyal2

Reaction score
so it looks like staging is for sure.
50-60 mile round trip would be preferred from the drop spot. Id like to see the area and not need to haul ass to complete a 100 mile day.
Wikieup?
Shea road?
Wayside inn?
alamo lake itself?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
so it looks like staging is for sure.
50-60 mile round trip would be preferred from the drop spot. Id like to see the area and not need to haul ass to complete a 100 mile day.
Wikieup?
Shea road?
Wayside inn?
alamo lake itself?

If you want to spend a day, stage at Wayside. They have gas, food and beer there.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Can you cross the river or get to the north side of Alamo doing that?
Not right now according to 2driver running a 1000cfs is crazy. I wouldn’t even attempt. You will have to come in from the north. Your options there are

Go Shea road and cross planet ranch but that could also be suspect or go from havasu. Or go down from yucca on a graded dirt road

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Maggie wash…..You could stage at Shea rd and the aqueduct ( going out from Parker on Shea). Guess you could stage at Midway too. Or another option is stage in Wikieup and go in from there.

or carry gas and leave from Standard wash. Like I said I’m not sure you can cross the big sandy wash right now to get to wayside for fuel.
Just saw this attached screenshot posted on AZ Peace Trail Facebook. Looks like you are correct. I don’t think Maggie Wash slot Canyon would be accessible from the south side: Planet Ranch or Shea Road.

Attachments

• 6485A518-D62F-497F-84DC-2ABDEC56FA2A.png
    6485A518-D62F-497F-84DC-2ABDEC56FA2A.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 70

2Driver

Reaction score
I use this site for water data.

For big sandy look at the Lower Colorado section. also look at run off from the Santa Maria it dumps in just up from Alamo and can run good during raining periods which would add to the lower big sandy number as its measurement on this site is up stream from the Santa maria. ie add big sandy and santa maria to get an idea of water at the normal crossing near Wayside RV or the rabbiit hole

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Shea rd, To Mineral mine rd. To Mineral Hill rd. First trail to the right. That’s the slot canyon. You’ll come out on Planet Ranch rd. Turn right on Planet Ranch. To Swansea Cutoff rd. Turn right and follow it back to Shea Rd again.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Shea rd, To Mineral mine rd. To Mineral Hill rd. First trail to the right. That’s the slot canyon. You’ll come out on Planet Ranch rd. Turn right on Planet Ranch. To Swansea Cutoff rd. Turn right and follow it back to Shea Rd again.
Doesn't sound like the river can be crossed right now going that way

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score
Yucca route. can you give a few trail or road names? exit off 40 then....
Thanks!
Exit the 40 at Santa Fe Ranch Road. Head east and turn right on Alamo Road. These are all dirt, mild washboard. It really helps to air down as soon as you leave pavement.

The turn off for Rockhouse is on the right a good distance down Alamo.

Are you using GPS? The gpx tracks really help with the turn offs. They’re not marked. Screen shots of Gaia GPS maps attached.

Maggie Slot is the purple track on the left about 10.5 miles past Rockhouse/McCracken Mine trails. Plenty of flat areas to park your trailer before the trails.
9BFBC01B-10B1-472C-8C89-F86F52D99E4C.png
215F638E-CD56-44BB-BC1D-0694EFD55C1B.png

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score
I’ve also done the other canyon off Shea Road near Planet Ranch. They’re both pretty similar.