WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Slow Hydraulic Jackplate and Trim

c_land

Reaction score
This past weekend both my trim and hydraulic jackplate slowed significantly. Beginning of the day all was good and operating normally and throughout the day I noticed the jackplate and trim both slowing down to the point that I thought they would eventually stop operating all together. In addition to the slow operation, it seems they were drawing more power each time I tried to adjust. Driving in with the nav lights on, I could hit either button and the gauges would jump as well as dim all my lights.

The fluid reservoir appears to feed the jackplate pump, but there are separate motors for both trim and jackplate. I did not find any leaks when looking or cracks in the reservoir/cap. Battery is newer and gauge shows 13.9 volts when the engine is idling.

It’s a 1998 promax 300 on a Laveycraft 21 XtSki. The motors are both OG from 1997, Oildyne.

I’m very new to boating, but not afraid to work on this myself. I am looking for a place to start diagnosing here if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

See the below videos and pictures.

IMG_9877.JPG

IMG_9878.JPG

IMG_9879.JPG

IMG_9880.JPG

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Looks like the filler plug is missing on the pump (last picture). My trim acted like that when the fluid was low, added fluid and primed a few times...good to go. Mine has separate Hyd pumps for trim and jack plate, they look the same but they do not share the same fluid reservoir. In fact, on mine, the pumps look the same but the reservoirs are different, Jack is a plastic tank that is external and the trim is internal to the pump.

c_land

Reaction score
Looks like the filler plug is missing on the pump (last picture). My trim acted like that when the fluid was low, added fluid and primed a few times...good to go. Mine has separate Hyd pumps for trim and jack plate, they look the same but they do not share the same fluid reservoir. In fact, on mine, the pumps look the same but the reservoirs are different, Jack is a plastic tank that is external and the trim is internal to the pump.

I'll need to check the fluid levels more closely then. Should these be topped off? I don't recall seeing a level marking on it. Of course it's in storage so I don't have easy access.

Are you referring to this plug missing?

upload_2019-6-24_15-46-28.png

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Yeah, there should be a plug that screws in there, it would have a wide flat blade screwdriver groove. It unscrews and has an o-ring and extends down about 2 inches to act as a dipstick. You would add fluid in that hole and check it with the dipstick. When filled the screw goes in till you hit bottom then backs out 1.5 turns to vent.

c_land

Reaction score
Yeah, there should be a plug that screws in there, it would have a wide flat blade screwdriver groove. It unscrews and has an o-ring and extends down about 2 inches to act as a dipstick. You would add fluid in that hole and check it with the dipstick. When filled the screw goes in till you hit bottom then backs out 1.5 turns to vent.

Sounds like this is what i need?

upload_2019-6-24_18-1-39.png

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
I agree. Make sure all the fluids are up to where they need to be let the system purge the air out and top it off again. Also if there are any grease Zick fittings I would definitely make sure you pump those. Sometimes the slide in the jack or the pivot points in the engine can get sticky.

If that doesn’t work check the hydraulic pump. Is one hydraulic pump running both trim and jack plate? If so you might have a bad hydraulic pump.

If it’s the same pump as a 300xs I have a brand new one.

c_land

Reaction score
I agree. Make sure all the fluids are up to where they need to be let the system purge the air out and top it off again. Also if there are any grease Zick fittings I would definitely make sure you pump those. Sometimes the slide in the jack or the pivot points in the engine can get sticky.

If that doesn’t work check the hydraulic pump. Is one hydraulic pump running both trim and jack plate? If so you might have a bad hydraulic pump.

If it’s the same pump as a 300xs I have a brand new one.

I’m going to fill this sucker and prime it and see where that gets me. I’m trying to get in touch with the pump manufacturer to order a new plug, if they don’t have one I’ll probably just get the same size bolt and block it off.

I did see some fittings that I’ll grease up. Thanks for the tips

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Not all of these pumps have the dip stick. Here is a photo of what I have in my Fountain. You will notice that the pumps with the white reservoir do not have the dip stick while the pumps with the metal can reservoir have the dip stick. Check your pump body to make sure there is actually a hole there before you purchase something to plug it.

DSCF0554.JPG

Nielmcque

Reaction score
With the gauges dipping while the running lights were on and trying to use the jack plate or trim make it sound like there is a large load on the electrical system when trying to run the pumps. Maybe the battery is getting weak, there maybe be insufficient grounds in the electrical system, or the pumps or pump motors could be failing and drawing excessive load.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
never seen one that operates with the same pump, that would need a very sophisticated valving system, did the trim ever "not move when under power" from the vid, it didn't seem to gurgle like air was present. I'd be looking at grounds, especially if there are two pumps acting tha e same way.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
never seen one that operates with the same pump, that would need a very sophisticated valving system, did the trim ever "not move when under power" from the vid, it didn't seem to gurgle like air was present. I'd be looking at grounds, especially if there are two pumps acting tha e same way.
It looks like he has 2 pumps one with a plastic resivoir which i think goes to the jack plate and one looks like it has the black metal resivoir. But its had to tell from the pictures.

c_land

Reaction score
Changed the fluid primed this thing perfect. Still the same result.

I had tested the battery twice. Once myself and once by autozone as well as left it on a tender all the time.

I decided to get a new battery for it and the trim and jack plates are ripping now.

It’s the simple things sometimes 🙄

BingerFang

Reaction score
Changed the fluid primed this thing perfect. Still the same result.

I had tested the battery twice. Once myself and once by autozone as well as left it on a tender all the time.

I decided to get a new battery for it and the trim and jack plates are ripping now.

It’s the simple things sometimes 🙄

at least you know everything is dialed now 😂👍

how old was your battery?