WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Slow speed v-drive?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
How do v-drives handle at slow speeds? I'm talking about off plane to 30ish mph.

I assume they tend to be dogs off plane but do they handle well just on plane? Ski boats tend to be direct drive, which I would expect to handle in a similar fashion, and they seem to handle well at low speeds.

SKIA36

Reaction score
How do v-drives handle at slow speeds? I'm talking about off plane to 30ish mph.

I assume they tend to be dogs off plane but do they handle well just on plane? Ski boats tend to be direct drive, which I would expect to handle in a similar fashion, and they seem to handle well at low speeds.

They handle very nicely in this range, they don't back up for sh*t. 22 Schiada, SR 22 Schiada

rrrr

Reaction score
Mine backs up fine, just a little slow. :D

Attachments

• 21GJ612V66L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    21GJ612V66L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 539

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Excellent question Tom. Unfortunately there's no accurate cut and dry answer for this. Too many variables. Hull design, size, weight rudder and fin size and shape are all contributers that may vary from one v-drive boat to next. Could you fill in the specifics for the v-drive boat or boats in question?

DaveH

Reaction score

many v-drives use transmissions, mine is a 3-speed. 1st makes for a nice slow idle in the no wake zone, 2nd makes for a nice strong hole-shot and third is your "running gear". boat handles excellent at all speeds. I have towed many small kids, and I find using 2nd gear great to keep the boat speed down and still handle well.

I think the reason direct drives may handle better at a slower speed is because the CG is much farther forward, an intended design factor, to keep the nose down and the wake flat. just makes them ride like crap if the lake is bumpy.

Steve is correct though that any v-drive handles horrible in reverse, your rudder is in front of your prop when backing.

Desert Mirage

Reaction score
My Brendella Pantera handles great at low speeds. It is a kind of a vee hull with cav plates but it rides fantastic and still gets the job done. I had reverse in this box and it worked okay but viberated too much so I took the gears out.

Last edited:

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score

Mine handles f-i-n-e, idle to WOT but like we said, reverse is just an excercise in halting forward momentum...3 blade props, very little control. 2 blade...g'luk
________
AUTISM ADVICE

Last edited: