WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Small luxury RV advice

caribbean20

Reaction score
We are retired and wife, 2 small dogs and me are thinking about a van based RV. Just need a bed and a toilet, as we don’t want to deal with taking dogs into the hotel but will use the hotel room for a shower. Looking to do a tour of baseball parks and stuff like that.

It looks like the Mercedes is the best carriage to start with. I want all the new tech for driver aids, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, etc.

You guys have any experience with these? Not limited by budget, looking for something really nice. Airstream?

fmo24

Reaction score
My only concern would be the availability of Mercedes dealers or techs outside of major metropolitan areas. Read of someone stranded for several days waiting on a part. Fords and rams are everywhere and every small town

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I love the Airstream Interstate. Used, they are just as expensive as a Magic deck boat with a 525.

Interstate-Grand-Tour-EXT-Touring-Coaches-interior-seating.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My mom has the Mercedes sprinter based airstream interstate she originally bought it when my brother lived in the east coast. As they would drive to go see him. Now she uses at as her commuter and takes it everywhere.

IMG_3306.jpg

I have driven it quite a few times. And it’s nice.

For this class of vehicle I don’t think there’s anything better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I would rather have someone build to my specs for the coin that those airstreams go for. More than likely it would be Outsidevan or something similar with 4wd. The Revel looks awesome, but I’d be hesitant on the build quality.

TCHB

Reaction score
My mom has the Mercedes sprinter based airstream interstate she originally bought it when my brother lived in the east coast. As they would drive to go see him. Now she uses at as her commuter and takes it everywhere.

View attachment 751392

I have driven it quite a few times. And it’s nice.

For this class of vehicle I don’t think there’s anything better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have some friends buy one of these last year. They drive it all over the country and really like it. They have dual wheels in the back.

caribbean20

Reaction score
That Airstream Interstate looks like the ticket. This may be the first mechanical toy that the wife wants, and she doesn’t care how much we spend. Shopping for this might be some fun, not boat shopping fun, of course, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp pencil.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I had some friends that bought one new. MB Airstream. Kind of the same reasons. Back and forth to Arizona with two dogs. seasonal only. They hated it for size. And they are fit people. They tried several other methods and ended up with a short Fifth Wheel Trailer (30 feet?) and a new GMC 2500 Duramax. They love the combination. They can drop the camper and go out to dinner. Park it in walmarts over night or any camp ground.

caribbean20

Reaction score
I had some friends that bought one new. MB Airstream. Kind of the same reasons. Back and forth to Arizona with two dogs. seasonal only. They hated it for size. And they are fit people. They tried several other methods and ended up with a short Fifth Wheel Trailer (30 feet?) and a new GMC 2500 Duramax. They love the combination. They can drop the camper and go out to dinner. Park it in walmarts over night or any camp ground.
Randy, when you say size, do you mean they found the Airstream too cramped inside? Will have to spend some time in one of them.

PaPaG

Reaction score
We are retired and wife, 2 small dogs and me are thinking about a van based RV. Just need a bed and a toilet, as we don’t want to deal with taking dogs into the hotel but will use the hotel room for a shower. Looking to do a tour of baseball parks and stuff like that.

It looks like the Mercedes is the best carriage to start with. I want all the new tech for driver aids, adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, etc.

You guys have any experience with these? Not limited by budget, looking for something really nice. Airstream?
We almost pulled the trigger on one about three months ago to travel back and forth from Vegas to Texas and Florida and for short trips but felt at this age it is just a little to small for us. I HATE HOTEL ROOMS due to all the hidden issues. I can easily see having one of these when we retire, they are really built well, very reliable, the one issue I had was if something happened mechanically we would have to have a benz dealer close by...but that should not be a huge issue, there are millions of benz' running around the US just fine without that worry. Your plan about the hotel showers works perfectly. You can also pick up used ones if you really search with only 2-5k miles on it from owners that just don't use them enough and save yourself 20-35k...still under warranty as well...good luck either way you go.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Really, they only get small in inclement weather lol We live and travel full time in a 40ft diesel pusher and there are days it can be small
Got it. I cashed my chips in a few years ago but we had elderly parents with whom we wanted to stay close. Sadly we’ve had a few funerals over the last 2 years. Now it’s time to hit the road. Looking forward to some trips where we have no particular schedule.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Yes, at Night going to bed they couldn't handle it. Going to the bathroom, moving around. it was a Tandem, extended length Airstream. It looked like just the ticket for them. One dog was a golden retriever and the other was small. They where all cramped up. The Airstream quality was Top Notch.

fmo24

Reaction score
It is awesome to just wander the country. You idea about visiting ball parks is one we have been toying with lately. My parents went to state fairs. They would pick one then the adventure was in getting there with all the sights and towns along the way.
Our next summer will probably be men’s college baseball World Series and Women’s softball World Series

fmo24

Reaction score
This summer we are doing Pacific Northwest and on into Vancouver BC then back into US and traveling across the central northern states on our way back down to Florida

Reactions: DWC

caribbean20

Reaction score
It is awesome to just wander the country. You idea about visiting ball parks is one we have been toying with lately. My parents went to state fairs. They would pick one then the adventure was in getting there with all the sights and towns along the way.
Our next summer will probably be men’s college baseball World Series and Women’s softball World Series
Wow, state fairs. That’s another good one to put on the list. My wife is a sucker for all of those interstate tourist deals, Paul Bunyan, worlds largest apple pie, cave of the winds . . . you name it. I’ll just go along, have a beer and enjoy.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I think the a small all class c sprinter rv , would be my route . Cheaper to buy .
You can get a small slide out , a little more room and tow easily .
The van will get small real fast. And over priced by 25/50 k .

Now if your looking to get off the beaten path, and out in the sticks .
4x4 sprinter van .

caribbean20

Reaction score
I think the a small all class c sprinter rv , would be my route . Cheaper to buy .
You can get a small slide out , a little more room and tow easily .
The van will get small real fast. And over priced by 25/50 k .

Now if your looking to get off the beaten path, and out in the sticks .
4x4 sprinter van .
Yes, know what you mean. However, in our case, literally all I’m looking for is a dog enclosure (2 West Highland White Terriers), a toilet and a bed for my wife to nap while I’m driving (which I kind of enjoy). Almost all nights will be spent in a hotel parking lot. My wife’s idea of camping is when the hotel doesn’t have room service.:)

DLC

Reaction score
Please keep us posted when you hit the road! That sounds so amazing to just get lost in America! We have so many “must do’s” & “gotta see “.

The national parks are just another one, or driving thru a valley during the fall when the trees change colors to yellow/orange.

The wife and I used to like to do 4th of July in small towns, see the parade and then watch fireworks!

spectras only

Reaction score
If I was single, Airstream all the way, especially for its quality, build wise. No way I could handle the cramped accommodation in one, even with a small dog, let alone with a woman, sharing the space.;):D There are some smaller Class C ones from 19' and up with queen beds to choose from. Those are still relatively easy to find parking for.
I'd take a Winnebago Navion over the Airstream for space inside.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Slideout versions make a huge difference.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
We tried the Airstream deal and went to a Savanna. The Airstream was to big to drive like a car in town and too small to be comfortable to camp in. My .02

tkrrox

Reaction score
I am in the market for a work van and through my research, all the diesels have been having major issues. I almost pulled the trigger on a Mercedes, but found a few sites with owners experience that swayed me away. I’m getting a ford transit gasser instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BajaMike

Reaction score
The Mercedes does have factory 4x4 available now if that’s your thing....I think the only factory (not conversion) model available now.

rrrr

Reaction score
I would rather have someone build to my specs for the coin that those airstreams go for. More than likely it would be Outsidevan or something similar with 4wd. The Revel looks awesome, but I’d be hesitant on the build quality.

I know a guy that had a Sprinter built to his specs, specifically the battery and solar systems, along with a real luxo barge interior.

He can camp for days without hookups, mostly in the Northern part of the US and Canada because it's cooler in the summer.

Ultra247

Reaction score
My mom purchased the class B RV. It was the craziest thing that I ever saw. It was too small to camp in and too big to drive. I would absolutely do a small Class C RV. You can pick up a really nice new one or get a "gently used" one. Use it for one or two seasons and decide if you need to go bigger. Get one with a slide out and you will be much more comfortable. The class B is just too small for comfortable touring.

the lynch mob

Reaction score
Check out Coach House rv outof Florida. Very well built with a one piece shell. Mercedes sprinter chassis or Ford chassis. Not inexpensive.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
The Mercedes does have factory 4x4 available now if that’s your thing....I think the only factory (not conversion) model available now.
Transit will have AWD for 2020, but I think you’re right