WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smog 2004 Chevy 2500

spectra bash

Reaction score
We’ll need to get my 2004 duramax smogged. Two years ago smog station unable to read computer. Bought the truck with tuner. I brought it home and plugged in and set back to factory settings. Then it read and passed. Left it on stock setting. Now two years later take it to smog same issue. Plug in to set to factory and says no data saved. Smog guy just shows N/A and fail. My diesel mechanic tried to reset computer and still reads N/A . Trying smog again tomorrow. Mechanic says maybe need to replace computer. What a pain. Any thoughts?

dribble

Reaction score
Call the referee and make an appointment to have them test it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Does the cigarette lighter work?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
No cigarette lighter
You have a 12v power port just under the climate controls. Or a little lower if you have a center console. All GM trucks and SUV's from 99 to '07 had them there. The power for the OBDII port is powered on the same circuit as the power port there. I had that exact issue on my wife old '05 Yukon. Replced the fuse and everything works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I have never smogged a diesel, but with gasoline cars many cheap "code readers" give OBD-II readiness state, in other words it lets you know if it will pass smog.

I use a OBD-II bluetooth "dongle":

and the android app "Torque Pro" on my phone for this, total investment about $20.

Instead of "going to smog it" plug in a scanner/code reader and see if all the OBD-II readiness monitors/drive cycles are complete.

if they are not complete, you will not pass smog.

spectra bash

Reaction score
You have a 12v power port just under the climate controls. Or a little lower if you have a center console. All GM trucks and SUV's from 99 to '07 had them there. The power for the OBDII port is powered on the same circuit as the power port there. I had that exact issue on my wife old '05 Yukon. Replced the fuse and everything works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I do have that power port / cigarette lighter that i use for phone charger and does work.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Do you have a stock radio or aftermarket? I was having problems similar and the programmer customer service had me pull the fuse to the head unit, then reflash the computer, then replace the head unit fuse and it worked....