WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smokers

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So I am thinking about trying something new this year on Thanksgiving, since it is my favorite holiday, and either smoking a Turkey or some cornish game hens. Only problem is, I don't have a smoker, so I am looking to buy one.

I am working with a $200 - $250 budget

Tell me which one is the best for my budget!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I didn't spend a fortune on mine and it's been wonderful. Used it this weekend to cook a bone in prime rib. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447696243.262842.jpg

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
So I am thinking about trying something new this year on Thanksgiving, since it is my favorite holiday, and either smoking a Turkey or some cornish game hens. Only problem is, I don't have a smoker, so I am looking to buy one.

Have you ever smoked before?

I have been wanting to get into smoking for a while ... it not only looks like something fun to do, but smoked food tastes so good.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Have you ever smoked before?

I have been wanting to get into smoking for a while ... it not only looks like something fun to do, but smoked food tastes so good.

No, never have. I am looking for a winter hobby :D

HitIt

Reaction score
Charcoal is fun if you want to eff with it. Electric is the way to go if you want to "set it and forget it". I had a Weber bullet smoker (charcoal) and used it a bunch to make some delicious grub. I sold it because I got tired of monitoring the thing during a long cook. If you want to occasionally use the smoker and not become an "expert", I would go with electric.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Going to watch this thread as well. We have never smoked meat so looking for insight.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Charcoal is fun if you want to eff with it. Electric is the way to go if you want to "set it and forget it". I had a Weber bullet smoker (charcoal) and used it a bunch to make some delicious grub. I sold it because I got tired of monitoring the thing during a long cook. If you want to occasionally use the smoker and not become an "expert", I would go with electric.

Can you explain in a little more detail the differences? I don't mind messing with it, that is part of the experience.....right? Let me know what kind of "effing with it" I will be doing if I go charcoal.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Do you have a digital thermometer on the outside?? What kind of Smoker is it? I see that there are charcoal and electric ones.....etc. Don't know the differences.

It's charcoal and the thermometer is more important than any other part of the equation. I have a digital remote one that reads the meat and smoker remotely. You can't get the meat correct unless you have thermometers in it.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Can you explain in a little more detail the differences? I don't mind messing with it, that is part of the experience.....right? Let me know what kind of "effing with it" I will be doing if I go charcoal.

You're basically controlling the amount of air in it to keep the temp where you want it.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have been playing around with smoking for a couple years now.

I have built 2 (uds) ugly drum smokers that worked very good for very little $$$.

I also had the smaller version like Paul's and sold it a while back.

Anything that is charcoal or wood based is going to have a big learning curve and honestly is a chore to maintain consistent temperature.....basically you are baby sitting

It's messy and you need to start the charcoal an hour before you start the smoke big so your charcoal basket stays consistent. If the charcoals aren't grey they can flame up and burn your food.

I just got a green mountain pellet smoker after wanting a traeger for a number of years. There a bigger buy in but the guess work is all but eliminated. I find myself using it 100x more than my uds because it's so easy....fill the hopper set the temperature and let it go.

It works so good I am taking the beast to the river for thanksgiving this year.

There not cheap but for anyone looking for a deal screamingpetes daughter mckayla hooked me up with a great package!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447698928.849416.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447698954.762381.jpg

Check them out at www.sdgrillpros.com

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447698635.871157.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447698658.247010.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447698670.419970.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447698711.523839.jpg

HitIt

Reaction score

When you smoke meat, you are generally trying to hold between 225 - 250F during a 3 - 12 hours period of time.

Electric:
  • Add chips, set temp, go to the movies.

Charcoal:
  • You need to get the ratio of wood chips/chunks correct.
  • You need to mess with air flow controls to regulate temperature. This may require adjustment as the outside temp changes and the fuel source burn down.
  • For a long cook (brisket or pork butt, up to 12 hours), you need to strategize a bit on how to make your charcoal last that long or plan to add fuel during the cook. If you add fuel, you need to make sure it doesn't get too hot or cold.
  • Wind affects temp.

Charcoal is fun if you want to learn to mess with it but it is more of a hobby than a simple way to cook good food.

charlyox

Reaction score
The wife got me this one at SAMS club. They about $300. It works great. Set it and forget, except for adding wood chips a few times during smoking. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447699149.998363.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447699199.499405.jpg

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I built this one three and a half years ago and I love it. As far as charcoal goes once you have used it a few times you can get it pretty dialed in.

For long cooks I use the minion method which is the coal basket with raw coal and wood chunks in it then add about a half of chimney of lit. As the lit coals die out the raw are lit and it will run for hours. There are air inlets at the bottom of the drum to regulate heat.

I also use an igrill2 with an ambient temp probe to monitor temp in the drum and then probes for whatever I'm smoking.

I know there are easier ways to do it they are nothing more than an outdoor electric oven which takes the skill out of it. Don't get me wrong they work great and produce good BBQ but I like challenge of doing it old school minus the igrill2 of course :D.

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 38

HitIt

Reaction score
One thing to remember when figuring your budget for your smoker...

If you keep it for a while you will be cooking thousands of dollars of meat. If you ruin a few cooks, you could have paid for upgraded hardware. That line of reasoning works well when justifying the price to the wife ;)

shan

Reaction score
I built this one three and a half years ago and I love it. As far as charcoal goes once you have used it a few times you can get it pretty dialed in.

For long cooks I use the minion method which is the coal basket with raw coal and wood chunks in it then add about a half of chimney of lit. As the lit coals die out the raw are lit and it will run for hours. There are air inlets at the bottom of the drum to regulate heat.

I also use an igrill2 with an ambient temp probe to monitor temp in the drum and then probes for whatever I'm smoking.

I know there are easier ways to do it they are nothing more than an outdoor electric oven which takes the skill out of it. Don't get me wrong they work great and produce good BBQ but I like challenge of doing it old school minus the igrill2 of course :D.

Webers, chimneys and dutch ovens, I like the way you roll!:D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Uds is a great way to get started for cheap.

Mine has put out a ton of food over the years!!![emoji41] ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447699415.992561.jpg

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I use a UDS and also have one of these:

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

The Pit Barrel isn't exactly a smoker but the food comes out good. Really easy to use and they have videos that show you how to cook most common BBQ stuff and some other things like pizza.

It used to be $249 shipped but I see it is now $299. Maybe there is a discount out there you can find.

Ryph

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Nice! The pic of mine was right after the build it looks a little worn now. But man it can deliver some great Q

I wanted to stay with the patina look because its all the rage now...lol

First one I built I found the drum off craigslist.

Second one (we keep it at the river) we found on a rhino ride on the CA side. Its was filled with honey combs and dead bees. We emptied it out brought it back to the house and used it for camp fires for a couple nites after washing it out.

I think I'm $20 into that drum and its my favorite of the two.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The wife got me this one at SAMS club. They about $300. It works great. Set it and forget, except for adding wood chips a few times during smoking. View attachment 447829 View attachment 447830

I have a similar Masterbuilt but the digital control unit is the same.

Makes smoking pretty painless. I think mine was $175 at Home Depot.

I have to say I was turning into the head chef around here and now 3 years later the novelty has worn off a little. So my suggestion is keep it real unless you really want to stand in front of the damn thing while everyone one else parties.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have a similar Masterbuilt but the digital control unit is the same.

Makes smoking pretty painless. I think mine was $175 at Home Depot.

I have to say I was turning into the head chef around here and now 3 years later the novelty has worn off a little. So my suggestion is keep it real unless you really want to stand in front of the damn thing while everyone one else parties.

Yeah......I just googled "Electric Smoker" and found a 30 inch Vertical Masterbuilt at Lowes for $169.00. They have the one like Dan's with the window for $250.00 as well, but I don't think I need the window.

I really want to do the turkey this year and without knowing exactly what I am doing, this is probably the way to go until I can afford to play with big boy toys like Cole Trickle's.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've owned most every type know to man, cooked on more than that, and at the end of the day, my advice would be to spend the money for a Traeger or similar and be done with it. If you don't like it, you can easily sell it and recoup your money.

Traeger's are versatile and near impossible to completely screw things up.:thumbup:

Lot's of great info in this section:

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?122-BBQ-River-Recipe-s

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
If you're planning to do a Turkey on the smoker you should move pretty quickly on your smoker and get some experience with it before smoking a turkey. Turkeys can be excellent smoked but they can also get extremely messed up if you don't know what you're doing.

When smoking a turkey it is imperative that you brine the turkey prior to your smoke. I personally prefer to spatchcock my turkey since it allows the turkey to cook more evenly.

Reactions: TBI

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If you're planning to do a Turkey on the smoker you should move pretty quickly on your smoker and get some experience with it before smoking a turkey. Turkeys can be excellent smoked but they can also get extremely messed up if you don't know what you're doing.

When smoking a turkey it is imperative that you brine the turkey prior to your smoke. I personally prefer to spatchcock my turkey since it allows the turkey to cook more evenly.

I have been reading the "how to guide" on smoking a Turkey for a week now and already have my cook planned if we go that route. I may end up doing Cornish Game Hens though...not sure. I think I can handle it and if it gets screwed up......OH WELL, we will head to Pechanga for turkey dinner.....lol

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yeah......I just googled "Electric Smoker" and found a 30 inch Vertical Masterbuilt at Lowes for $169.00. They have the one like Dan's with the window for $250.00 as well, but I don't think I need the window.

I really want to do the turkey this year and without knowing exactly what I am doing, this is probably the way to go until I can afford to play with big boy toys like Cole Trickle's.

OK so I can help you here....

Make sure to get the model with the probe and the electronic control as they sell them without. You need that probe to cook like a pro out of the gate. Youtube has tons of stuff to watch so you can get easily educated. Wood chips are like dope. Don't get carried away thinking you need more high. Once every 1/2 hour for the 1st 2 hours you adding chips. That's it, ask me how I learned this. Wet or dry makes little difference. Apple juice and water in the tray.

Turkey - Your not going to get much more than a 16 lb bird in there and you will need to do a good job of tying the bird up well. I smoke a couple Birds a year in ours and even in the Desert next week I will do the same.

fmo24

Reaction score
I have one similar to OD1 in my shed you can have if you want it. I am in Palm Springs area

500bbc

Reaction score

Orion Cooker, $130.00, 16# turkey 1:45, set it and don't open until time. Has a chart for minutes per pound.
By far the easiest cleanest smoker I've ever used.

Attachments

• orion cooker2.jpg
    orion cooker2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 397

Meaney77

Reaction score

I have built 2 (uds) ugly drum smokers that worked very good for very little $$$.

Anything that is charcoal or wood based is going to have a big learning curve and honestly is a chore to maintain consistent temperature.....basically you are baby sitting

It's messy and you need to start the charcoal an hour before you start the smoke big so your charcoal basket stays consistent. If the charcoals aren't grey they can flame up and burn your food.

I just got a green mountain pellet smoker after wanting a traeger for a number of years. There a bigger buy in but the guess work is all but eliminated. I find myself using it 100x more than my uds because it's so easy....fill the hopper set the temperature and let it go.

There not cheap but for anyone looking for a deal screamingpetes daughter mckayla hooked me up with a great package!!! View attachment 447824 View attachment 447825

View attachment 447819 View attachment 447820 View attachment 447821 View attachment 447822

You like this better than the Trager?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score

There not cheap but for anyone looking for a deal screamingpetes daughter mckayla hooked me up with a great package!!! View attachment 447824 View attachment 447825

View attachment 447819 View attachment 447820 View attachment 447821 View attachment 447822

Yours looks perfect....thats the size I want.....but I don't have that baller budget that you do. Gotta start saving. :D

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
OK so I can help you here....

Make sure to get the model with the probe and the electronic control as they sell them without. You need that probe to cook like a pro out of the gate. Youtube has tons of stuff to watch so you can get easily educated. Wood chips are like dope. Don't get carried away thinking you need more high. Once every 1/2 hour for the 1st 2 hours you adding chips. That's it, ask me how I learned this. Wet or dry makes little difference. Apple juice and water in the tray.

Turkey - Your not going to get much more than a 16 lb bird in there and you will need to do a good job of tying the bird up well. I smoke a couple Birds a year in ours and even in the Desert next week I will do the same.

Thanks for the heads up! I am only going to do a 10 - 12LB bird so should be ok, space wise. This is the model I am looking at.....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_526419-58355-20071514_1z0weki__?productId=50113704&pl=1

I have one similar to OD1 in my shed you can have if you want it. I am in Palm Springs area

Thanks man, that is a stellar offer! I think I am going to go with the Electric for now because with the kids and all their activities, it will work best for me to just set it and forget it (besides adding chips). If I need more of a challenge, I will definitely take you up on that. :thumbup:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Orion Cooker, $130.00, 16# turkey 1:45, set it and don't open until time. Has a chart for minutes per pound.
By far the easiest cleanest smoker I've ever used.

This has amazing reviews. It is charcoal though, right?? How is it different than the other charcoal smokers?

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
The pellet grills are set it and forget it too with temp control. :thumbup:

screaming pete

Reaction score

thanks for the kind words . McKayla knows a ton about smoking and grilling meats. and san diego grill pros has a great inventory of smokers , grills and rubs...sp

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
I felt like the green mountain was better priced and has thicker gauged metal.....i'm very happy with it:cool:)

Yup.....I've heard that the Traegers have gone thinner since they come from China now. Which will have an effect on temp control.....especially in the Winter.

River Runnin

Reaction score
A bucket a fish!....

Smoker%201_zpsayyasswt.jpg

A Tri Tip!....

Smoker%203_zpshlnwzckq.jpg

And everything in between!.... So Far! :D

The smallest Traeger absolutely smokes every smoker I've ever had!...(I have the smallest one because it was gifted to me!)

Smoker%202_zpsafjq5ndy.jpg

Smoker%204_zpslpiopfvv.jpg

And if I upgrade!...It'll be the pro model! :thumbup:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

500bbc

Reaction score
This has amazing reviews. It is charcoal though, right?? How is it different than the other charcoal smokers?

It's a convection oven, the charcoal is on the outside. Check the pic, rim of coal around the bottom, about ten coals in the "hat" on top.
There is a drip pan and three grills inside, drip pan is about 1" clear all the way around where you set the wood chips, maybe 3/4 of a handful for a turkey.
There is a handle that is a funnel shaped rack that goes inside the bird and you pick it up with a hook, has three rib hangers too.
I carve the bird while it is still on the rack just set it on the cutting board every thing goes into the drip pan so the whole bird is browned, not like a roasted bird that's a mess on the bottom.

Brine the bird overnight, put the chips in and the bottom rack, set the bird on the rack, close the lid and light the coals. Check your watch and come back at the recommended time, comes out like a magazine photo. Last year everyone that tried it said it was the best turkey they ever had.

Cleanup is simple, pull the little ash door open with a trash bag under it and use it to scrape the ash into the bag, tip the lid upside down in to the trash bag. Scrubbing the drip pan is the biggest chore on cleanup,

Tri Tip, ribs, wings, brisket smoked fish all have come out perfect. The only thing I don't like about it is no bark on the tri tip and the smoked fish more dry. I put the smoked fish on the grill for just a minute when it comes out of the smoker, the tri tip I live without the bark for the smoke flavor and it's juicy as heck.
45 minutes for three tri tips at a time.

It's light enough to stick in the back of your truck for trips.

Havasteve

Reaction score
If you choose a frozen bird in a shrink wrap you'll find they are already brined. I couldn't find a bird that wasn't.

I prefer to spatchcock and roast my turkey over Oak and Mesquite at around 325 degrees. The breast meat is unlike the rest of the bird and should be removed when it reaches temperature otherwise it will dry out. The drum sticks, thighs and wings have a ton of connective tissue and need to cook for at least another hour or until you can rotate the leg bone from it's socket.

Then there's the next days Turkey Carcass Soup. With dumplings.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If you choose a frozen bird in a shrink wrap you'll find they are already brined. I couldn't find a bird that wasn't.

I prefer to spatchcock and roast my turkey over Oak and Mesquite at around 325 degrees. The breast meat is unlike the rest of the bird and should be removed when it reaches temperature otherwise it will dry out. The drum sticks, thighs and wings have a ton of connective tissue and need to cook for at least another hour or until you can rotate the leg bone from it's socket.

Then there's the next days Turkey Carcass Soup. With dumplings.

This is the recipe that I am following. It would be nice to be able to skip the brine step so I will check that out.

http://howtobbqright.com/smokeaturkey.html