WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smoking a turkey tomorrow

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
15 lb. bird going to be smoked tomorrow. It has been seasoned and dry aged for two days already. It has also been spatchcocked so that it will cook more evenly. Any educated guesses on how long I should leave it in? Smoker usually runs around 260-275* when it is cold outside.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Doing mine on Thursday, 12 pounds, brined then on the Camp Chef Turkey Cannon. Lots of good videos on Youtube to give you some tips.
Turkey-Cannon_20090781418.jpg

tkyc_clipped.jpg

Reactions: DWC

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We are smoking ours as well, I forget the time, I don’t bother with that, I have a digital internal temp unit and a remote hand held display, when it hits the number it’s done. I forget the temp for turkey but it’s all over google.

Reactions: DWC

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We are doing the same thing with smoking the turkey and using an internal digital thermometer.

We are smoking ours as well, I forget the time, I don’t bother with that, I have a digital internal temp unit and a remote hand held display, when it hits the number it’s done. I forget the temp for turkey but it’s all over google.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Not doing the recipe. Just smoking and using the internal temperature thermometer to tell us when its done. Will have to look into that recipe

Doing the same thing. Using Myron Mixons smoked turkey recipe.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I use 20-25 minutes per pound as a guide. Typically 14 lbs. 275° ish. Apple and hickory wood.

First temperature check at about the 4:40 mark, always finished by the 5:45 mark. I don't have any temp probes or automatic temp controls.

All wood. Offset smoker. Bbq monitor powered by cold beer, or coffee and brandy.

Sometimes both.

Dan'l

Xring01

Reaction score
Cook till it hits 165 internal temp...

I inject my turkeys with a bunch of melted butter, with poultry seasoning, a hint of apple juice...

Stuff them with chopped celery, onions, apples, garlic, poultry seasoning,, this just for flavor, not eating... this aroma permeates the meat through the cook... adds some great flavor.

I throw on the smoker at 225 for the first hour, bump it to 275 until its done. If the outer skin gets to dark, put the turkey in a foil pan and wrap it losely with foil to prevent it from turning black..

I prefer apple wood, and use cherry if I cant find apple.

never had any complaints, only compliments...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We brine ours for 24 hours first then rub it and also peel back the skin and insert slices of apple.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Smoking one as well. Just got the easy up cause its supposed to be raining.

Brine over night. Then when ready to cook pull the skin up from the breast and insert pats of butter under the skin. Then rub it down with butter then salt and pepper. Stuffing it as well.

This one will get sage sausage cornbread stuffing with cran raisin in it. This is the first of this stuffing I've tried, as I usually just go with traditional.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
15 lb. bird going to be smoked tomorrow. It has been seasoned and dry aged for two days already. It has also been spatchcocked so that it will cook more evenly. Any educated guesses on how long I should leave it in? Smoker usually runs around 260-275* when it is cold outside.

Ive been doing this a couple years now and spatchcocking takes a bit of the cooking time off so I would just go by thermometer.

dave29

Reaction score
I had an uninsulated offset stick burner before this. Go online and buy a good welders blanket from amazon. It will hold the heat.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Our family served up 70 smoked birds yesterday to the needy at my Daughter and SiL's B-B-Que restaurant......The big commercial pit makes it easy. Breaking them down and serving is another thing. Served between 400 and 500 meals.:D

KevinR

Reaction score

Hey Loco what the heck is Spatchcocked?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
It was discussed above but essentially it is cutting up the breast bone and cooking the flattened, spread out bird. The whole thing cooks much more evenly. Even wings are edible and delicious.

dave29

Reaction score
This is spatchcocked. It is cutting out the backbone, flipping the bird over so the breast is facing up,laying the turkey or chicken flat and pushing down on the breast until you hear it crack. It then lays flat. Cooks even and faster as PlumLoco mentioned.

sintax

Reaction score
some item worth mentioning, and i found out the hardway, with my smoker I found I had to rotate the turkey half way through. The first time I smoked one on my egg I was only probing one breast / thigh side pulled it when it was done, only to find out that the other side of the bird was a solid 10* lower than the "done" side. Needless to say it bummed me out, and I ended up cutting off the good meat, and finishing the other side in the oven.