WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smudge pots. Looking for 8 or more in Az. Phoenix, Parker, Bouse or ???

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Curious as to why you’d need eight? You warming a grove?

77charger

Reaction score
On insta
@smudgepot USA he has ones in good shape and inspected

beerrun

Reaction score
We just bought one from a guy here in Ramona

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Smudgy Contact

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201229-175101_Contacts.jpg
    Screenshot_20201229-175101_Contacts.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 99

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I need to get one ,I have 10 5 gallon jugs of used oils.

77charger

Reaction score
I need to get one ,I have 10 5 gallon jugs of used oils.
They can burn oil but it makes a big mess inside the smudgepot that will need ti be cleaned out then add the smelly smoke when it goes out.Stick to diesel and only burn oil if you have to.I prefer burning unleaded when i use mine at home which was weekly fri and sat nights right now im only home 2 weekends a month and use it then

c_land

Reaction score
They can burn oil but it makes a big mess inside the smudgepot that will need ti be cleaned out then add the smelly smoke when it goes out.Stick to diesel and only burn oil if you have to.I prefer burning unleaded when i use mine at home which was weekly fri and sat nights right now im only home 2 weekends a month and use it then
It is sketchy lighting those things with gas in them. I blew the top off mine a time or two using gas 💥 good times lol

77charger

Reaction score
It is sketchy lighting those things with gas in them. I blew the top off mine a time or two using gas 💥 good times lol
Been doing it for 15 years and they start really calm just a small swish with fresh pour of gas.If i run low and going to stay up later i keep diesel to add while running or camping ill use more diesel as it burns longer per gallon.But if i mix gas and diesel for some reason i get a bigger pop as i light it.Remember you need pressure to blow something up so make sure lid is open LOL.

I light from bottom fill lid hang a napkin sticking out then bbq lighter arms stretched out light and jump back.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Been doing it for 15 years and they start really calm just a small swish with fresh pour of gas.If i run low and going to stay up later i keep diesel to add while running or camping ill use more diesel as it burns longer per gallon.But if i mix gas and diesel for some reason i get a bigger pop as i light it.Remember you need pressure to blow something up so make sure lid is open LOL.

I light from bottom fill lid hang a napkin sticking out then bbq lighter arms stretched out light and jump back.

you need to get this on video

77charger

Reaction score
you need to get this on video
Ive posted before many say cant do it and so on but to each their own.I know a couple others who also burn unleaded after seein it just need to use lil caution or shall i say common sense.Maybe when i get home next week ill video it again.

sintax

Reaction score
On insta
@smudgepot USA he has ones in good shape and inspected

pretty sure this is the dude I’ve gotten a bunch from. Prob 10 or so by now, I always end up giving them away to people who come over and use it.

If so he’s a cool dude with a pretty sick Daytona.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Fuck those messy ass things. I prefer straight up firewood.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Curious as to why you’d need eight? You warming a grove?
My neighbors have been asking me about them and the total is up to eight people that want one and I'm finally getting around to asking about them.
Last minute and all.

Lol

HBCraig

Reaction score
What exactly is a smudge pot? All my years of camping i don't think I have ever seen one.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
There is no way I would ever burn gasoline in a smudge pot. Diesel, kersone only.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
There is a guy on instagram who's sole business is selling them, i'll see if i can find the info

The account is smudgepot_usa, contact him via DM

Taboma

Reaction score
I was so happy as a kid living surrounded by orange groves when they replaced those stinky fucking smudge pots with wind machines --- but then we had to listen to the loud wind machines sounding like a bomber squadron taking flight. 😖 Thank God, they cut down all those groves and built homes. :rolleyes: 🥴

sintax

Reaction score
Fuck those messy ass things. I prefer straight up firewood.

Im gonna have to argue with you on that one. If we’re talking about an orchard heater with a reburner,thats run on pure diesel, it’s actually really clean burning. No smell and hardly any soot.

you never walk away smelling like a campfire.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Im gonna have to argue with you on that one. If we’re talking about an orchard heater with a reburner,thats run on pure diesel, it’s actually really clean burning. No smell and hardly any soot.

you never walk away smelling like a campfire.

Agreed plus much easier to store and acquire fuel than fire wood at the river. Plus super easy to regulate the temp with the Smudge Pot.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
Agreed plus much easier to store and acquire fuel than fire wood at the river. Plus supper easy to regulate the temp with the Smudge Pot.
Only time I’ll burn wood camping is if it’s windy smudgepots just don’t do well in heavy winds. But normally 2 burning in cold desert nights is best.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
There is no way I would ever burn gasoline in a smudge pot. Diesel, kersone only.
Im currently using up my old supply of E85 in mine. You want to talk about fast burning, it burned up 7 gallons in about 2 hours! I had to grab some diesel and oil for the second batch to slow it down.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Im currently using up my old supply of E85 in mine. You want to talk about fast burning, it burned up 7 gallons in about 2 hours! I had to grab some diesel and oil for the second batch to slow it down.
I'm sure but I also would wager that you had a VERY HOT fire in that thing while it lasted. LOL

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
There is a guy on instagram who's sole business is selling them, i'll see if i can find the info

The account is smudgepot_usa, contact him via DM
I am pretty sure we are already in contact with the same guy now. We are trying to pu 24 of them next week in LHC from him.

77charger

Reaction score
Done e85 too yes it burned fast I normally got 1:40 min on diesel about 1:10 on gas and e85 about 45 min all was per gallon and barely a flame popping out the top.

this is in backyard So no need to turn it up a lot. But yeh it burned clean too.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Done e85 too yes it burned fast I normally got 1:40 min on diesel about 1:10 on gas and e85 about 45 min all was per gallon and barely a flame popping out the top.

this is in backyard So no need to turn it up a lot. But yeh it burned clean too.
Mine had the “choke” completely open and a 2.5’ flame out the top, with an extension on it too...It was a little breezy the night of the 23rd, so we let it rip!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was so happy as a kid living surrounded by orange groves when they replaced those stinky fucking smudge pots with wind machines --- but then we had to listen to the loud wind machines sounding like a bomber squadron taking flight. 😖 Thank God, they cut down all those groves and built homes. :rolleyes: 🥴

What’s a wind machine?

Taboma

Reaction score
What’s a wind machine?

Very basically, the reverse of a wind generator. Some were fuel powered, some electric, depending on location. The concept was, to create an artificial breeze to mitigate frost which forms in more still air. Most of the ones around us looked like this one.

Wind machine.jpg

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Very basically, the reverse of a wind generator. Some were fuel powered, some electric, depending on location. The concept was, to create an artificial breeze to mitigate frost which forms in more still air. Most of the ones around us looked like this one.

View attachment 956608

The ones i climbed up had flat head ford v8's. Hemet in the early 80's.

Dan'l

Taboma

Reaction score
The ones i climbed up had flat head ford v8's. Hemet in the early 80's.

Dan'l

I recall seeing that style, wasn't sure of the engine, but remember the large enclosure up top and hearing them fire up.
Curious, I did a quick search, and wind machines are still available today, with more modern controls, real time monitoring over your phone, engine on the ground, shaft driven with oscillating heads, electric, or propane fueled and using Ford V-8s, V-10s and Cat Diesels. Appears most of the businesses manufacturing and selling them are located in eastern Washington state.
Orchard-Rite Amarillo.jpg

Orhard-Rite Amarillo V-10.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
I recall seeing that style, wasn't sure of the engine, but remember the large enclosure up top and hearing them fire up.
Curious, I did a quick search, and wind machines are still available today, with more modern controls, real time monitoring over your phone, engine on the ground, shaft driven with oscillating heads, electric, or propane fueled and using Ford V-8s, V-10s and Cat Diesels. Appears most of the businesses manufacturing and selling them are located in eastern Washington state.
View attachment 956729

View attachment 956730
I thought dome had a heat source by the fans too?

Taboma

Reaction score
I thought dome had a heat source by the fans too?

No idea, I was surprised it was even a "Thing" anymore.
I just remember they blew air, was something always tempting us kids to climb, knew it was cold out at night when we'd hear them fire up, smelled better than smudge pots and then just like that, all the groves were gone and replaced by tract home. With the groves gone, so were the trains going to the packing plants and soon the tracks disappeared as well.
To us kids the groves, stretching seemingly forever in all directions, were like enchanted forests to be explored. We'd pack lunches, packs, basic survival tools and home made weapons to protect us from the boogey men, and off we'd go. 😁

77charger

Reaction score
No idea, I was surprised it was even a "Thing" anymore.
I just remember they blew air, was something always tempting us kids to climb, knew it was cold out at night when we'd hear them fire up, smelled better than smudge pots and then just like that, all the groves were gone and replaced by tract home. With the groves gone, so were the trains going to the packing plants and soon the tracks disappeared as well.
To us kids the groves, stretching seemingly forever in all directions, were like enchanted forests to be explored. We'd pack lunches, packs, basic survival tools and home made weapons to protect us from the boogey men, and off we'd go. 😁
We had a house in Merced early 80s just on edge of town had almond orchard behind us a creek fiend the street fun times as a kid eating fresh blackberries or almonds