WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SnapOn

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I officially just let my SnapOn dealer know that I would not be buying another tool off his truck which really sucks because I like him a lot but sadly he is not the owner of his truck and I'm having problems with SnapOn/and the owner of the truck.

I buy a lot of tools, annually. Next to my truck and boats, tools are my largest write-off consistantly. I spread it around here and there but the tool truck amounts to about 75% of my tool expenditures on any given year.

My issue: this season alone, I have had not 1, not 2, but 3 of my more expensive snapon tools fail just outside of warranty and all are under 2 years old and very well taken care of.

The first one ok fine, bad luck and paid to have it fixed. The second one, not happy about it and complained a little but still paid to have it fixed, THEN it took 5 weeks to get it back. The third, this is BS somebody else needs to pay to fix this one.

Nobody wants to step up to the plate, and I said fine I'm done and paid off my balance and walked off the truck. My dealers eyes were nearly tearing as he told me his hand were tied and his boss wouldnt even allow him to personally take care me out of his own pocket.

SnapOn currently makes up about 50% of my tool box. But right now I feel like they can go fuck themselves.

Rant Over.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Wow, this surprises me. Our SnapOn guy just fixed and put all new internals in my 1/2 torque wrench. Keep in mind this was passed on to me from my father. He purchased it brand new around 1970!!!!!! No questions asked, he replaced all the ratchet assembly etc in the head at no cost.

DLC

Reaction score
You need divorce yourself of all snap on tools just to show your tool truck guy you mean business!!!

Ill be right over to take them off your hands....

And that sucks! For the price of some of their tools you would think they would take care if their customers....

Tank

Reaction score
Man, I'm having an "Alexa Evesdrop" moment here.:D I swear I was just texting with my Bro-in law (who's a jet mechanic and LOOOOOVES Snap-on) about how absolutely ridiculous the prices are. He sends me screen shots from Snap-on, The first:

28 pc SAE Four-way Angle Head open-ended wrench set......Sit down for this:

$3,035.00 for the set!!

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!!!

For that price is should be made out of unobtanium and definitely have a life-time warranty for EVER!! Like your kids, kids, kids, kids could return them when they fail, family heirloom status.

Who the fuck can afford this shit!?

Tank

Reaction score
You need divorce yourself of all snap on tools just to show your tool truck guy you mean business!!!

Ill be right over to take them off your hands....

And that sucks! For the price of some of their tools you would think they would take care if their customers....
I spotted your nice snap-on boxes in the "how much cool shit can you find" photo LOL:p:D

Reactions: DLC

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
About the only thing that snap on excels at is sockets (shallow broach) and a few other hand tools. Autel is kicking their ass with diagnostics these days, and plenty of other manufacturers make better stuff.

Their air tools suck, Milwaukee and others make better battery tools for a fraction of the price. Most all the specialty stuff is available through OTC, AST, or others...the SO business model is obsolete...they either need to improve their prices or service to stay alive I think.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Man, I'm having an "Alexa Evesdrop" moment here.:D I swear I was just texting with my Bro-in law (who's a jet mechanic and LOOOOOVES Snap-on) about how absolutely ridiculous the prices are. He sends me screen shots from Snap-on, The first:

$3,035.00 for the set!!

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!!!

For that price is should be made out of unobtanium and definitely have a life-time warranty for EVER!! Like your kids, kids, kids, kids could return them when they fail, family heirloom status.

That is about $ 110 each

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yes my tools I'm talking about are a $300 cordless buffer, followed by a $450 digital multimeter, followed by the final straw which is a $300 3/8 cordless impact.

I am of no illusion that snapon isnt the greatest at everything but I do expect at the very least for their service to be top tier to back up their tools you are knowingly buying for 2-3x similar items from others

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
So what is the go to for hand tools now days? Craftsman went Chinese and snap on seems to be high $$$ and have some issues as well.

DLC

Reaction score

$3,035.00 for the set!!

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!!!

Dude get real it’s not $3,035.00, it’s only $75 a week..... do you want 2 sets (standard and metric) for $150 week

LoL

Tank

Reaction score
Dude get real it’s not $3,035.00, it’s only $75 a week..... do you want 2 sets (standard and metric) for $150 week

LoL
LMFAO.....That shits insane.

I gave up on Snap-on long ago . My Matco dealer goes out of his way for me.
What's the price comparison and are they made in U.S.? I mean I get paying more for non chinese crap and (hoepfully) it'll be better quality but those prices are STOOOOOPID. What's Matco like?

DaveH

Reaction score
pretty much all the snapon electronics are, while not junk, not worth the money and much if it is rebranded stuff.

i have never bought any of their cordless drills or meters/scopes type of stuff.

that being said.....their hand tools IMO are by far the best. yes they are stupid expensive. But the vast majority of my sockets/ratchets/wrenches etc are 25 years old and work as good as the day i bought them. and you can abuse the shit out of them and they just keep on working.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I don't think one company makes the perfect widget in every category.

It sounds like the OP/Shlbyntro has electronics that are failing?

There are billions of quality used tools for sale on the internet.
It's guys like me who are hoarders and die then the family gives them away that supply this secondary chain. Take advantage of it and be proud of the men who cherished those tools.

buck35

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Armstrong tools and have been very happy with them ,and no failures.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Not tool manufacture, but i worked for an international company that decided their brand was so strong, that they could dictate to the market, and move the existing standards to fit their model for success - after all, they were the biggest, and best , so they would dictate to the market, and the competitors would all fall in line, silently happy they were leading the way. It didn't work - they are in the process of exiting the market they were going to dictate to - sales down, inventory down, people down. None of the overpaid CEO's have the capacity to learn from others, or consider they could be wrong - ego's get pretty big and they become stupid and blind. I'd think until upper management changes at SnapOn, the other competitors will be eating their breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

braindead

Reaction score
Plenty of real good stuff coming out of Taiwan now...Tekton, Gearwrench, toptul, Napa house brand, etc...

Pliers - Knipex and Channelock

Screwdrivers -Vessel

I started purchasing tekton, broke a 3/8" ratcheting breaker bar, sent em an email with pics they sent back all the parts to make it new again. The whole process took about a week.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I used Snap-on air tools in my business. Had nothing but warranty problems. One day I went down to Harbor Freight and bought 5 of everything we needed. Told the men to use the shit out of them and when they break, throw it away, get another off the shelf. Less money and no warranty problems after that. Sad

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m shocked I thought snap on was lifetime warranty on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AEA

Reaction score
I used Snap-on air tools in my business. Had nothing but warranty problems. One day I went down to Harbor Freight and bought 5 of everything we needed. Told the men to use the shit out of them and when they break, throw it away, get another off the shelf. Less money and no warranty problems after that. Sad

That's a plan that makes sense, I have adopted a similar one myself.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
So what is the go to for hand tools now days? Craftsman went Chinese and snap on seems to be high $$$ and have some issues as well.

I have a mix -n-match tool box. Sockets are Snap-On, the drives are SK (like the feel of them better). My combo wrenches are SK. Screwdrivers are Wiha, pliers are Knipex. The wire tools are Wiha. Air sockets are Matco. Vise-Grips are genuine Irwin. Adjustable wrenches are Williams and Crescent. Most pipe tools are Rigid.

Then there is the "non-durable" stuff that I buy at Harbor Freight. They are throw-aways that I do nasty things to that I won't do to to my good stuff. Like using a screwdriver as a pry bar, etc. Rather than beat up the good stuff on nasty jobs, I use the HF.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
My snap on tool boxes were built in the 70s and are shit brickhouses. Theres no killing those.

I honestly am more pissed about them saying not our problem than the tools actually breaking. Shit happens, I get it. But make it right.
You haven't really said what broke? I have many family and friends that work for Snap-off. I thought about working there but they don't value my skills.... Yet, for what I charge.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
14.4v cordless buffer: battery contacts had a bad connection somewhere just inside the gun

1mA-100A inductive Amp reading multimeter with diode, capacitor, and Hz measuring capabilities. I use this nearly exclusively for generator work: Hz function went haywire during last use showing 180-240 Hz sporadically on a generator that is not capable of producing those kinds of hz in any condition, not even when broke and was later verified with 2 other meters. They kept trying to tell me it was a weak battery despite me putting 2 different fresh batteries in it before turning it in for repair. turned out to be a bad dial that took 5 weeks to repair and replace.

Last is a 14.4v cordless 3/8 impact. I use the crap out of this one. But take good care of it. Not only do I use it in engine tear downs, drive removal/installs, I also use it as an impacting screw gun with an adapter. I'm not paying to have it fixed, but it is either experiencing the same battery contact issues my buffer did or the trigger is going bad....

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Former Snap-on junkie myself. Used to wrench for a living, and acquired $30k+ of stuff in the early 2000’s. I was lucky- my rep was a big seller, kept everything in stock, and would warranty anything. When you depend on your tools to feed yourself (or family) that’s the biggest selling point IMO. I know as a Big Twin tech there were certain tools I would break (Allen head sockets) every few months just from frequency of use.

I ended up moving and my new dealer sucked. Horrible inventory, and couldn’t get his hands on a lot of the stuff I needed. Sketchy on warranty stuff as well. So I’ve seen both sides.

In the early 2000’s, most Snap-on stuff was still manufactured in the USA, and that was a huge justification in my mind of the prices. I remember driving by a Snap-on factory on my way to my uncles house as a kid, and the jobs it contributed to the small town economy it was in.

No way in hell I’d be purchasing anything Snap-on today that has been outsourced to China or anywhere overseas. Lots of other options out there to choose from.

I haven’t been a profession wrench for over a decade, and I don’t have many projects that require their use, but I still enjoy their company in my garage, lol. Most of the use they get nowadays is from my apartment dwelling friends who I let use my driveway and tools for their projects. I know what it’s like to not have anywhere to wrench, so when my buddies have the need I always give them a place to keep their shit running, even if my old lady hates it,
LMAO...

johnnyC

Reaction score
I have tried different brands of hand tools when i was a line mechanic, craftsman sockets broaching were too deep and they broke too easy their wrenches broke as well and were too bulky for some applications proto didn't have much of a selection and you had to buy them at a parts house when there was still parts houses . matco i didn't like the feel of, basically a high polish craftsman... tool of choice... SNAP ON always fit thinner build stronger great warranty you broke it they replaced it no questions asked and they last for ever but when it came electronics I wouldn't buy them ... overpriced

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
14.4v cordless buffer: battery contacts had a bad connection somewhere just inside the gun

1mA-100A inductive Amp reading multimeter with diode, capacitor, and Hz measuring capabilities. I use this nearly exclusively for generator work: Hz function went haywire during last use showing 180-240 Hz sporadically on a generator that is not capable of producing those kinds of hz in any condition, not even when broke and was later verified with 2 other meters. They kept trying to tell me it was a weak battery despite me putting 2 different fresh batteries in it before turning it in for repair. turned out to be a bad dial that took 5 weeks to repair and replace.

Last is a 14.4v cordless 3/8 impact. I use the crap out of this one. But take good care of it. Not only do I use it in engine tear downs, drive removal/installs, I also use it as an impacting screw gun with an adapter. I'm not paying to have it fixed, but it is either experiencing the same battery contact issues my buffer did or the trigger is going bad....
On the 14.4 impact...split it apart, and look at the solder joint above the terminal, and the two by the trigger. They get brittle and fail. I've fixed three with the same issues.

Never dealt with the buffer or the DMM...haven't run across a good enough deal on those to own one yet...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve got a few BOXO tools, I'm just as happy with them as my Snap On’s. I see that when paying for tools I’m buying the warranty so if the local wants to be a dick I’d go to another dealer. Sucks when you have a good driver that sounds like he goes above and beyond for you, but works for a tool! We can’t keep a truck longer than 6-8 months out here in Mohave Co

WYRD

Reaction score
For the price they charge I just hired my own full time mechanic. Bonus I save on hand cleaner too:D

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
For the price they charge I just hired my own full time mechanic. Bonus I save on hand cleaner too:D
If he owns CNC equipment and builds/designs things for you at the same price as a mechanic, I would say you are the king of negotiators. :)

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Snapon. My dealer just retired. He was great. Mostly I would only buy stuff if it was on sale or he got special promos. Just got a new dealer and he is getting better. Man what a nice new truck he has, fully stocked and clean. Me and the old dealer got along so well he would just come buy and give me shit some times. Hell I probably put his daughter through nursing school. Never really liked Matco or MAC. Both seem more Harbour freightish.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I'm glad I bought all my Snappy stuff in the late 70's-80's. Still have em but rarely twist wrenches anymore. Like said above my boxes are tanks built in the early 80's. Just before I retired I went thru and checked all of them for problems and wound up with a pretty good list. I was very rural in Oregon and didn't have a dealer, not that I needed one. I hadn't bought a Snappy tool for years and didn't want to bother the closest dealer to come by my shop. I just called SO and told them the situation and they said email the list and they'd see what they could do on replacements. They emailed back and said to expect a box in the next week. The rep asked that I send a pic of a couple of the dead blows that were crap. The box arrived with every tool I asked for including the dead blows.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My techs lost a lot of efficiency due to the three regular tool trucks that stopped by...Snap on, Matco and Mac

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My techs lost a lot of efficiency due to the three regular tool trucks that stopped by...Snap on, Matco and Mac

Oh yeah, I remember my boss yelling at me more than once for spending too much time on the snap-on rape van... luckily that was the only truck that visited our shop... later on, my boss was as much of an addict as I was, and every Tuesday became a contest of how much time and money we could spend on the rape truck lmao... need some smilies right about now...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Does anyone use Cornwell. My friends brother used to sell for them many years ago. I never see their trucks driving around. I only see Matco and Snapon.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Most my good Strap On tools have been stolen, we suspect a druggie former neighbor. I now roll with Kobalt and Crapsman from Lowes.
Been fine. Milwaukee for anything power.

A13usaonutL._AC_CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71-LfeZRcuL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0._UX679_.png

I prefer to use 6pt sockets if possible and they can be goofy to find.
Whats that T shirt say?: "I got 99 sockets but a 10mm ain't one."

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
If a foundry/forger can't make a decent thin walled 12 point deep socket that can hold up, I say move on to a better source. That is where the used market comes into play. Those type of sockets have been manufactured by the billions in days gone by. Same goes for wrenches and ratchets etc.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Does anyone use Cornwell. My friends brother used to sell for them many years ago. I never see their trucks driving around. I only see Matco and Snapon.

I have a lot of cornwell tools but dont have a cornwell dealer out here, I think the nearest one is downtown. My roll around is cornwell. I've never had a bone to pick with them

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I was surprised by this history:

Snap-on was founded as the Snap-on Wrench Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1920 by Joseph Johnson and William Seidemann. The business manufactured and marketed ten sockets that would "snap on" to five interchangeable handles. The company's slogan was "5 do the work of 50".

Cornwell Quality Tools was founded in 1919 by Eugene Cornwell, a skilled blacksmith operating in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Cornwell experimented with different metal alloys and methods of heat-treating, with the goal of making tools of superior quality

I have a lot of cornwell tools but dont have a cornwell dealer out here, I think the nearest one is downtown. My roll around is cornwell. I've never had a bone to pick with them

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have gazillions of dollars of snap on hand tools here at work, all purchased within the last 5 years, and I am extremely disappointed with the quality to be honest. Their torque wrenches always fail our cal process, and we break screw drivers, punches, and allen drivers like no tomorrow. And when I say we have a ton of hand tools...when we placed the order, we ordered 7 classic 96 boxes, 4 in red, 1 in orange, and 2 in blue, all 7 full of pretty much all of their hand tools, shadow boxed and laser etched by snap on...plus 2 more complete sets of tools to backfill our "replacements" cabinets. If I remember right, each box was approaching the 6 figure mark...but it was a long time ago.

There have been a few times that we have broken all of a certain bit, like a 5/64" allen driver. Closest place to me here is home depot...So I run and grab a husky replacement. You might laugh, but we have not broke a single one of the husky tools that we have replaced the snap on's with. We have re-shadow boxed snap on's shadow boxing to fit non snap on tools. Its pretty ridiculous to be honest.

We have replaced all of our snap on tq wrenches, except one model that isn't actually made by snap on, its made by CDi.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Ya, when I was working for someone else, he kinda sorta asked to keep the time on the truck down. Kind of hard as Mr. Snappy was a good friend and bass fishing partner.

CLA

Reaction score
I'm a big snap on fan, but everyone has their own opinion. Buy what works for you.

Dana757

Reaction score
and they hold up fairly well I bet.