WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Snooping around.. Pontoons! Lol

havasuhusker

Reaction score
On completely unrelated front...
@RiverDave, I saw you at Campbell Cove on Saturday. I was going to introduce myself, but saw you were eating lunch with your kids, and didn't want to interrupt. I was the guy in the grey RDP hat behind you in line.

You can now carry on with the toon talk...

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
All this talk about making a toon run its fastest is pretty funny to me.

I'd be concentrating on the best prop / height for cruising/carrying load/efficiency. its a floating Suburban not a sports car. HAH

When I’m done I will be going for overall setup not just top end.. I don’t expect the setups to be all that different though..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
On completely unrelated front...
@RiverDave, I saw you at Campbell Cove on Saturday. I was going to introduce myself, but saw you were eating lunch with your kids, and didn't want to interrupt. I was the guy in the grey RDP hat behind you in line.

You can now carry on with the toon talk...

Should have said hello!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When I’m done I will be going for overall setup not just top end.. I don’t expect the setups to be all that different though..

With how many people? Empty or full of gas? And most importantly...

How many ice chests fun of beers?? 😁

It's turning that will get you. But im gonna guess you'll be way better off with dual engines.

Maybe you can set the engine up with a turning brake! Slam one in reverse, and the other WOT? That would solve that problem!

😝

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With how many people? Empty or full of gas? And most importantly...

How many ice chests fun of beers?? 😁

It's turning that will get you. But im gonna guess you'll be way better off with dual engines.

Maybe you can set the engine up with a turning brake! Slam one in reverse, and the other WOT? That would solve that problem!

😝

I typically run with 5 adults 2 coolers : fridge running / three kids / full of fuel.. lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I had to throw the pontoon in the water today and I figured why not do a little pre testing.. pretty sure the back area of my port toon was full of water again because the boat was listing a little.. I’m ordering the o rings shortly to seal all those areas up.

So far the only change we have made was switching to solid hubs on the props..

Here are the numbers. 1/2 tank / 2 people / 10-12 mph tail wind 89 degrees with both biminis up.

Top speed reached was 65 with a consistent 63.

hard getting consistent rom #’s with digital gauges but figure ls this would give us some ideas on slips and speeds as I start to make changes. Not hitting the 7k limiter yet but it’s close.. I believe the motors will actually run out to 7200..
124205BF-4E3A-4097-B155-0017715F6EF8.jpeg
C7E1EAC9-AE78-4E02-B592-824CEE1BFBCE.jpeg
5D524964-4F38-4D37-9A51-4E80F3D842FD.jpeg

Speeds and rpm’s
5604A39B-9F51-4633-9AA0-53248170C5D0.jpeg
CDB20DFF-85D7-4FA7-9953-32D305FFAE3D.jpeg
7DAA0A16-D31E-419D-900D-88C352DF4215.jpeg
A20C7875-D250-49F1-B436-1000244B47DD.jpeg
046A9C98-19FE-41E8-B331-1F517B6DD862.jpeg
B77795C6-EA99-4C9D-93EC-51F6D6EF01E1.jpeg

coming back into the head wind.
2E31EDEB-1D1D-486C-B320-E3361A1C9331.jpeg
1612CE74-453E-45E1-B2E4-8E24AAB09937.jpeg

Back into the head wind again.
FDB23150-716F-4449-A44E-BBCB8C24E5EF.jpeg

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
If you have water in the logs that is gonna slow you down.

The airplane floats can get water from sitting and you pump them out before a flight. Taking off with water in a float really makes the plane lazy

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you have water in the logs that is gonna slow you down.

The airplane floats can get water from sitting and you pump them out before a flight. Taking off with water in a float really makes the plane lazy

Im aware.. but until I get my o rings or change over to different style covers it’s just part of the deal. I kind of assumed there wasn’t any water in it when I picked it up, but as soon as it was in the water I knew. some people have drilled holes in the bottom of the toons snd let them fill up and drain out.. I’m gonna seal them and possibly put in some pumps. Avalon calls that rear area a “wet zone”.. 🙄. I’d like it to be a dry zone.. lol

PlanB

Reaction score
My last toon got some water in a rear log and it took about 5 mph off of the top end. I had it sealed at Skip’s. It’s kind of strange your logs are not sealed from the factory.

ETA: Are you talking about an open area on the rear of the logs where the motors mount? If so my current toon has the same but it has drains the let the water out on plane.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Im aware.. but until I get my o rings or change over to different style covers it’s just part of the deal. I kind of assumed there wasn’t any water in it when I picked it up, but as soon as it was in the water I knew. some people have drilled holes in the bottom of the toons snd let them fill up and drain out.. I’m gonna seal them and possibly put in some pumps. Avalon calls that rear area a “wet zone”.. 🙄. I’d like it to be a dry zone.. lol

You should see if you can add aircraft style rubber seals on the top and use the syphon hand pump and just pump them before you do runs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My last toon got some water in a rear log and it took about 5 mph off of the top end. I had it sealed at Skip’s. It’s kind of strange your logs are not sealed from the factory.

ETA: Are you talking about an open area on the rear of the logs where the motors mount? If so my current toon has the same but it has drains the let the water out on plane.

it has inspection covers and they need o rings to seal properly.. not sure why they aren’t on their from the factory.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Honestly these slip numbers aren’t bad?? I am sure we can get a little out of it just reducing drag, but I am not sure how much more we are gonna get as far as slip is concerned?

77D3FFA6-13C0-4DA4-9CF2-509E27918CBF.png
958CF26E-D53E-44BA-A656-F6C472831BD3.png

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Following along with this thread, I was starting to investigate motor height and props for my new 25' Avalon with single Merc 300. Unfortunately my time right now is being spent trying to figure out why I have motor oil leaking out of the lower engine cowling on my brand new motor.

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Following along with this thread, I was starting to investigate motor height and props for my new 25' Avalon with single Merc 300. Unfortunately my time right now is being spent trying to figure out why I have motor oil leaking out of the lower engine cowling on my brand new motor.

That should be pretty quick to figure out?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
That should be pretty quick to figure out?

HA! I wish! Took it back to Pacific and they along with Mercury diagnosed as an upper crank seal. Drove 1000 miles round trip only to get it back and its still leaking oil. It wasn't the upper crank seal. My feeling is its coming from down low where you can't see shit without dismantling stuff I don't want taken off a brand new motor. Local Merc shops in Havasu can't get me in any time soon so I'm pondering my next move at the moment. It runs fine and leaks slow but it is dripping on the ground when I take it out of the water and an oil sheen forms on the water when parked. Did I mention I wasn't happy? I'm going to visit a couple shops in Havi and probably try and get on their schedule. Jack has been great but I don't want to drive it back up there as its so far.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
HA! I wish! Took it back to Pacific and they along with Mercury diagnosed as an upper crank seal. Drove 1000 miles round trip only to get it back and its still leaking oil. It wasn't the upper crank seal. My feeling is its coming from down low where you can't see shit without dismantling stuff I don't want taken off a brand new motor. Local Merc shops in Havasu can't get me in any time soon so I'm pondering my next move at the moment. It runs fine and leaks slow but it is dripping on the ground when I take it out of the water and an oil sheen forms on the water when parked. Did I mention I wasn't happy? I'm going to visit a couple shops in Havi and probably try and get on their schedule. Jack has been great but I don't want to drive it back up there as its so far.
You talk to WOT Marine?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
No knowledge on setting up a toon, frankly I dont care, my wifes does 41, that works, if I want to go 130 we take the Daytona. But I have spent alot of time finding set ups on outboards, singles, twins, and my race boats. Have you tried spinning in versus spinning out, not sure how toons react to that. I switched all of my twins to see what they like the best, seems like each boat is different. On Daytonas out was faster but loser, in slower but better planted at speed. So there was a bit more speed to be had spinning out, but the death part wasnt really worth it.

Also what about toe? In, out or neutral? If you want to mess with that I have the racing laser tool that hooks to your prop shafts for measuring that.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Yeah. I know it's not in Havasu but that is a hell of a crew over there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ya just read some of their reviews, they sound great. I will probably call them as I navigate this. Thanks for the tip!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yeah. I know it's not in Havasu but that is a hell of a crew over there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Are they Merc certified? If they are and have availability there’s a ton of work for them..

Singleton

Reaction score
Are they Merc certified? If they are and have availability there’s a ton of work for them..

@W.O.T MARINE has been Merc certified for a few years now.
@bk2drvr - I know the shop is busy, but worth the call to see if Kyle can get you in. WOT has treated me right since 2009 and my boat goes from Havasu to Vista when it needs service due to Kyle and Cole!

riverroyal

Reaction score
What is this water in the log seal thing? I missed that part

PlanB

Reaction score
What is this water in the log seal thing? I missed that part

Sounds like the well area in front of the motor (not the actual sealed part of the toon). On my Bennington that is a wet area. It has two large drains that evacuates water when on plane. I guess the Avalon keeps it dry with a sealed cover.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sounds like the well area in front of the motor (not the actual sealed part of the toon). On my Bennington that is a wet area. It has two large drains that evacuates water when on plane. I guess the Avalon keeps it dry with a sealed cover.

correct.. there are no drains though so once it gets water in it it stays. And it’s a lot of god damn water..

I’m gonna seal them correctly and call it a day.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these brackets are for? I’m stumped.

A547BC0C-27B5-4254-A5AF-F9DD3CE5D395.jpeg

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Both my Avalons filled with water but had big openings to let water out
Wouldn't it be better to open it up for water to drain than trying to seal it and keep crap in there?
View attachment 999327

Better to seal and have a way to pump it dry just like aviation floats, water is heavier then fuel which I want to say is around 8-8.5 lbs per gallon of water so it adds up fast.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

This is the style of pump you carry on a float plane and it literally takes 5-20 pumps to drain a section of the float, most floats have 5-8 pump sections, its just a simple rubber stopper with a rope lope on it to yank out and place the pump nose into to then siphon out. Weld that bitch up and have the welder add a siphon port on the top and a threaded drain plug on the bottom to remove water when on the trailer

HCP3

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to open it up for water to drain than trying to seal it and keep crap in there?
View attachment 999327

Wow. A lot of 'technology' in that pontoon's running surface. Strakes, channels, etc. I did not know they went that far to improve the efficiency.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Yes but while sitting the water in there isn't any weight since it's level with the water line.
When getting on plane that part of the tube isn't lifting any weight of the water
It empties out in just a couple seconds anyway

But thats not the case for Dave

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Wow. A lot of 'technology' in that pontoon's running surface. Strakes, channels, etc. I did not know they went this far to improve the ride.

Makes you wonder how long before some filets the log and welds in a step or two on them

PlanB

Reaction score
View attachment 999327

That’s how my Bennington is, it just has drain holes instead of that open area. I would think a couple of 3” to 4” holes would solve the problem.

PlanB

Reaction score
Better to seal and have a way to pump it dry just like aviation floats, water is heavier then fuel which I want to say is around 8-8.5 lbs per gallon of water so it adds up fast.

The water drains immediately as you are getting on plane.

PlanB

Reaction score
Except Dave is saying on his hull it does not

True but some drain holes would let it do that. The well in my toon is just an open aluminum area. There is nothing in there that water will effect. Might be easier to just open it up and let it self drain.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
True but some drain holes would let it do that. The well in my toon is just an open aluminum area. There is nothing in there that water will effect. Might be easier to just open it up and let it self drain.

I want the flotation.. when I put the big yetis on the back or whatever I put back there I’d rather keep the flotation.