WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Snooping around.. Pontoons! Lol

DLC

Reaction score
@RiverDave
making any progress, how about updates..... ?

it’s almost been 2 weeks! Since the last post

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave
making any progress, how about updates..... ?

it’s almost been 2 weeks! Since the last post

bost has been in a slip since the beginning of the month.. I haven’t had a chance to pull it out to try props and setups..

I’m in no hurry to do this so as we change abd try things we will see how it goes.

Reactions: DLC

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ Thought I saw it last night as we were headed to our slip.

Reactions: DLC

TVMNick

Reaction score
Any update to this? I just received my twin 300 Avalon from Jack at PMC (great transaction btw, could not be happier with Jack and his team). My motors are mounted as low as they can go. My best so far on Powell is 54mph at roughly 5700rpm spinning rev4 21p on my 1.85 gear case for a slip of 12%. This was 90% fuel and 4 people on board plus a cooler with the fridge on 😂

satellitemike

Reaction score
Any update to this? I just received my twin 300 Avalon from Jack at PMC (great transaction btw, could not be happier with Jack and his team). My motors are mounted as low as they can go. My best so far on Powell is 54mph at roughly 5700rpm spinning rev4 21p on my 1.85 gear case for a slip of 12%. This was 90% fuel and 4 people on board plus a cooler with the fridge on 😂
I dont know shit about this but I would think your at least 10mph slower than it should be w twin 300's

TVMNick

Reaction score
I dont know shit about this but I would think your at least 10mph slower than it should be w twin 300's
It’s definitely off the mark for twins, but Powell’s elevation and temp isn’t helping the cause either.

I’m thinking based on prior posts raising the engines up two holes will be a good starting point. I’m probably propped a touch heavy for Powell as well but I think the 21s will be great for Havasu!

McKay

Reaction score
Too bad you don’t have something in the stable that’s faster to cruise Powell with….

TVMNick

Reaction score
@RiverDave are you finding it as hard as I am to get people to help with performance setups on these pontoons?

I've noticed a few different guys are running the motors higher on the mounts but spinning the props inward, it appears to get the drives out of the water a bit but keep the nose high and less tube in the water.

I saw that you pulled your engines up a bit and lost speed, how far up did you go on the mounts?

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That is freakin impressive at altitude! Do you have the larger boat or the 25?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave are you finding it as hard as I am to get people to help with performance setups on these pontoons?

I've noticed a few different guys are running the motors higher on the mounts but spinning the props inward, it appears to get the drives out of the water a bit but keep the nose high and less tube in the water.

I saw that you pulled your engines up a bit and lost speed, how far up did you go on the mounts?

I pulled mine up to one hole from the top. Lost 5mph and a ton of hole shot. but it’s hard to say because it has been blazing hot out here and humid, neither is good for speed..

I saw the video where the guy flipped his rotation and it looks like a lot less shit going on in the wake compared to mine.. 😳
52596867-F62F-405C-95C4-099D8419C534.jpeg
2286EE5C-4452-44EF-90C8-B2308041A1D2.jpeg
35542829-4C6A-4FF7-87EA-E6470F0A658E.jpeg

His was pretty much smooth between the motors with two rooster tails meeting in the middle.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I pulled mine up to one hole from the top. Lost 5mph and a ton of hole shot. but it’s hard to say because it has been blazing hot out here and humid, neither is good for speed..

I saw the video where the guy flipped his rotation and it looks like a lot less shit going on in the wake compared to mine.. 😳 View attachment 1035104 View attachment 1035105 View attachment 1035106

His was pretty much smooth between the motors with two rooster tails meeting in the middle.
Kinda sucks that it won't go fast enough to blow the towels out of the boat,... but on the bright side, you'll save a lot not having to keep buying new ones......

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
4 blade props was a huge improvement over all on my toons,...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Kinda sucks that it won't go fast enough to blow the towels out of the boat,... but on the bright side, you'll save a lot not having to keep buying new ones......

Those are the floating chairs wrapped around the ski pole. But yes when you have a real windshield it isn’t that windy in the cab.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Oh thats some funny shit right there... brutal

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

I saw the video where the guy flipped his rotation and it looks like a lot less shit going on in the wake compared to mine.. 😳 View attachment 1035104 View attachment 1035105 View attachment 1035106

I dont think all that wash is from the props. The wash seems to be coming from higher on the engines to be from the props or lowers. Looks like its coming from something on the toons? See if you can mount a Go-Pro or what not back there to get video of the engines at speed.

Also, did you change props at all when you raised them? What are you running now?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I dont think all that wash is from the props. The wash seems to be coming from higher on the engines to be from the props or lowers. Looks like its coming from something on the toons? See if you can mount a Go-Pro or what not back there to get video of the engines at speed.

Also, did you change props at all when you raised them? What are you running now?

Same props.. 19 revolutions.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
You need the evo props especially if you value going faster at cruise with less fuel

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Same props.. 19 revolutions.
Well I'm fairly certain that those Rv4's aren't designed to be in a surface piercing application I'd say maybe a Bravo 1 OC in a 21? They are slightly smaller diameter so should help planning and are designed to help carry the bow at speed. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well I'm fairly certain that those Rv4's aren't designed to be in a surface piercing application I'd say maybe a Bravo 1 OC in a 21? They are slightly smaller diameter so should help planning and are designed to help carry the bow at speed. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I haven’t heard of a B1 OC? I have heard of the FS series which I want to try.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
I haven’t heard of a B1 OC? I have heard of the FS series which I want to try.

My biggest gains were from a jackplate and finding the right prop and height. I gained about 14mph so far. Might be a little more left in there. Different props had different handling characteristics and like to run at different heights. The same as different boats like different amounts of setback from the jackplate. Mine likes a 6" setback. Also, if you do put the motors on plates, is all of the wiring and steering system going to be long enough to work? Wait until that pontoon starts chine walking on you at 50 mph, will be an experience!!!!!!

Sorry, I have nothing else to offer you. The only thing I can think of is try and find the guys that are running these things fast and see if the will give up any info. When I looked into this for my boat there was a ton of info out there in forums like this and it took away a lot of the guess work.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My biggest gains were from a jackplate and finding the right prop and height. I gained about 14mph so far. Might be a little more left in there. Different props had different handling characteristics and like to run at different heights. The same as different boats like different amounts of setback from the jackplate. Mine likes a 6" setback. Also, if you do put the motors on plates, is all of the wiring and steering system going to be long enough to work? Wait until that pontoon starts chine walking on you at 50 mph, will be an experience!!!!!!

Sorry, I have nothing else to offer you. The only thing I can think of is try and find the guys that are running these things fast and see if the will give up any info. When I looked into this for my boat there was a ton of info out there in forums like this and it took away a lot of the guess work.
How in the hell do you get a Pontoon to chine walk? Center log that much larger than the outters?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Btw, that last picture sure looks like your trim is out of sync between the 2 engines. The different trim positions and RPM's show the port engine is trimmed lower and the RPMs indicate that as well. Does it have any sort of auto trim system in it? Like it would adjust each engine individually to maintain a level load in the boat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How in the hell do you get a Pontoon to chine walk? Center log that much larger than the outters?

I don’t think most twin engine toons can chine walk.. the toons on mine are all at the same level btw. The manitous have a larger center toon.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Btw, that last picture sure looks like your trim is out of sync between the 2 engines. The different trim positions and RPM's show the port engine is trimmed lower and the RPMs indicate that as well. Does it have any sort of auto trim system in it? Like it would adjust each engine individually to maintain a level load in the boat?

I noticed that..

TVMNick

Reaction score
That is freakin impressive at altitude! Do you have the larger boat or the 25?

Mine is the 25'!

Interesting that you lost speed pulling them up, I think I'm going to move mine up a single hole and see what effect that has. I run my trim at a pretty similar number on the Avalon digital dash to what you are running too, I found my best speed was around trim position 11-14 depending on loading. Mine also gets a pretty gnarly hop around 51-54, not sure if it is because of the twins on the shorter boat but I noticed other Avalon owners talk about the "hop" as well. I took my Bimini top off and was able to pull 58 mph with two people on board and half a tank of fuel, but I don't see it going any faster on Powell without moving the engines around some.

I wish I could get someone who has their props spinning in to talk to me, everyone seems to be super tight lipped for some unknown reason. Last I checked there wasn't a million dollar purse for having the fastest toon' lol.

I'd like to pull my engines up to the same position as yours and spin the props in and see what that does, but would like some feedback from someone running that configuration and see what difference it made.

Also, with regard to the comments on why do you care about how fast your floating couch goes and honestly I really don't care but this toon has been so fun to tinker with and there is something fun about taking something that is inherently slow and trying to make it go faster. Its also been amazing for exploring canyons at Lake Powell, I've been able to wedge this toon in places it should never be. My mom has a spinal cord injury and this toon is very comfortable for her and I've been able to get to places where she can see things she wouldn't have seen otherwise and I sincerely love that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Mine is the 25'!

Interesting that you lost speed pulling them up, I think I'm going to move mine up a single hole and see what effect that has. I run my trim at a pretty similar number on the Avalon digital dash to what you are running too, I found my best speed was around trim position 11-14 depending on loading. Mine also gets a pretty gnarly hop around 51-54, not sure if it is because of the twins on the shorter boat but I noticed other Avalon owners talk about the "hop" as well. I took my Bimini top off and was able to pull 58 mph with two people on board and half a tank of fuel, but I don't see it going any faster on Powell without moving the engines around some.

I wish I could get someone who has their props spinning in to talk to me, everyone seems to be super tight lipped for some unknown reason. Last I checked there wasn't a million dollar purse for having the fastest toon' lol.

I'd like to pull my engines up to the same position as yours and spin the props in and see what that does, but would like some feedback from someone running that configuration and see what difference it made.

Also, with regard to the comments on why do you care about how fast your floating couch goes and honestly I really don't care but this toon has been so fun to tinker with and there is something fun about taking something that is inherently slow and trying to make it go faster. Its also been amazing for exploring canyons at Lake Powell, I've been able to wedge this toon in places it should never be. My mom has a spinal cord injury and this toon is very comfortable for her and I've been able to get to places where she can see things she wouldn't have seen otherwise and I sincerely love that.

100%.. I could have wrote the post myself. Everyone is super weird talking about their setups. Lol.