WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Snow in Austin

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Flew to Austin, TX Monday for my first and only flying business trip this year.

It was 85 degrees and sunny when I landed Monday at 4pm. It's been rainy since early Wednesday. Go to fly out tonight and it's snowing!! Two hour delay thus far. De-ice trucks were broke. One repaired and de-icing other United plane, but it ran out of gas. Back at the task, but we're still waiting our turn and get outta here to LAX. Long-time residents are saying they can count on one hand the number of times it has snow here in.

Will miss my flight to FAT, but oh well. Here's some pics.

IMG_3669.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG
IMG_3681.JPG
IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG

Last edited:

Sandlord

Reaction score
my friends posted pics of snow in New Braunfields on the Bucees sign.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Ok, so don't know why there are thumbnails along with full size. Tried to go back and edit to show only full size. Sorry.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The snow reached the coast. I woke up to see about 3" on the vehicles and everywhere. Real heavy wet snow as rain was the predicted precipitation.

Still hovering in the 30's so no melting away as fast as it usually does.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
View attachment 606659

Just took this picture on Monday. It was a beautiful day out.
For those that have never heard of Buc-ees, y'all may be seeing them in the coming years. A couple local guys, Beaver Aplin and Don Wasek started the chain 35 years ago based on clean restrooms and friendly service. They have spread all over TX, mainly on main travel routes to recreation destination. The "super" stores have tons of western knick knack and supplies. Tremendous amounts of "travel" food and drinks people want while on the road. Many have upwards of 100 gas pumps. No big rigs allowed, as they aim for cars and travelers. Some have out door stores with high end grills, smokers, fryers and fire pits.

But the main success factor is based on the spotless restroom facilities. They're getting to the point I expect a big buyout or the company going public and national.

The Luling store on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston will often have gas lines backed up several vehicles deep (120 pumps) and on the shoulder of the highway during busy holiday weekends. The big stores have $1M days!

Some stores have auto carwashes and the latest one built set a record for the longest carwash in the nation. Best drive through carwash I've ever seen. $12 for the works and 10 cents a gallon off a fillup. Sunny summer days will have 4 lines 10-20 cars long at the local Lake Jackson store. It's f'ing crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buc-ee's

Buc-ee's is a chain of convenience stores located in the Central, North, South, and Southeast regions of Texas. The company is owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III and Don Wasek and has its headquarters in Lake Jackson, Texas.

https://www.buc-ees.com/index.php

Sandlord

Reaction score
For those that have never heard of Buc-ees, y'all may be seeing them in the coming years. A couple local guys, Beaver Aplin and Don Wasek started the chain 35 years ago based on clean restrooms and friendly service. They have spread all over TX, mainly on main travel routes to recreation destination. The "super" stores have tons of western knick knack and supplies. Tremendous amounts of "travel" food and drinks people want while on the road. Many have upwards of 100 gas pumps. No big rigs allowed, as they aim for cars and travelers. Some have out door stores with high end grills, smokers, fryers and fire pits.

But the main success factor is based on the spotless restroom facilities. They're getting to the point I expect a big buyout or the company going public and national.

The Luling store on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston will often have gas lines backed up several vehicles deep (120 pumps) and on the shoulder of the highway during busy holiday weekends. The big stores have $1M days!

Some stores have auto carwashes and the latest one built set a record for the longest carwash in the nation. Best drive through carwash I've ever seen. $12 for the works and 10 cents a gallon off a fillup. Sunny summer days will have 4 lines 10-20 cars long at the local Lake Jackson store. It's f'ing crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buc-ee's

Buc-ee's is a chain of convenience stores located in the Central, North, South, and Southeast regions of Texas. The company is owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III and Don Wasek and has its headquarters in Lake Jackson, Texas.

https://www.buc-ees.com/index.php

I bought many things at that Buc-ees when I lived there. It was a regular stop when tubing on the Comal. I even have one of the big firepit grills I bought there and brought to AZ with me when I moved.

Buc-ees last night;
buc-ees.jpg

copterzach

Reaction score
Buc-ees is like a destination in itself. We always stop. And their fuel prices blow everyone else away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasJet

Reaction score
20171208_091642.jpg

20171208_084531.jpg
I got 1 1/2" overnight in Katy Texas (just west o
20171208_084643.jpg
20171208_084643.jpg
from Houston). Ok, so now I'm going to attempt to post pics from my phone. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Supposed to get 1-3 tonight.
Most farms just got their corn off.
15127655380151678770708.jpg

Cdog

Reaction score
HAHA! Love me some Buc-ees. We had this game going for while where we’d hide a bag of the buc-ee nuggets in friends race cars.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to find a Buc-ee's next time I'm one of their regions. Sounds cool!

We got out shuffled to back of line for de-ice, which the Captain wasn't too thrilled about. We finally got out of Austin around 11:00pm CST and into LAX at 12:20pm. The United crew was the friendliest crew I've ever experienced on my 15 years of business travel. Picked up the rental at Avis at 1am and home to Sanger at 4:55am. Slept and hour and got up to help kids off to school.

Back to the usual grind of driving week after next (trip to San Jose).

Last pics:

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG

Last edited: