WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Snowboarding

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I think I'm going to start snowboarding more this year and want to buy a set up. I know whats good and what to get with wakeboards, but not with snowboards. Can anybody help me out? I'm looking to stay under 400 dollars for the package and have been looking around online, do I need to check em out in the stores. What are good stores to go to? What size? What brands? Etc. I have a size 11 shoe, so does that mean I can stay with a regular width board, or do I need a wide one? I'm totally lost, but hate throwing away money renting a board.
Here are a couple I found that seem decent..
http://www.the-house.com/board-package-10-08.html
http://www.the-house.com/board-package-21-08.html

Thanks guys!
David

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm a little curious about this as well. STacy wants to go snowboarding so I'd like to get her a board and some accessories.

You might notice I didn't mention anything about me going.. LOL I hate the cold.

RD

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Dont get the click in binders. They are a pain in the ars.
I like Ride Snowboards and Tech 9 Bindings.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
and check out ebay.com
they always have way good package deals on there.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Well if I buy it online how do I know what size to get "width and height"

Go to a store to find your size. When you stand up straight it should barely touch the bottomof your chin. Unless you going to do back country boarding or strickly powder, it shold go to the bridge of your nose or longer.

Im 6'1" and 205lbs and i ride a 155. Hope this helps.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I saw some new Vans boots. Instead of the laces they had this thin metal wire that tightened up with a clicking dial. It looked really trick.

Anyone know if that works as cool as it looks? As a father of two kids I have laced and tighted their boots like 10 billion times....these new wired boots look pretty cool.

Tighter shoes and binding make for more responsiveness from the board.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Wow, so many questions, with so many more answers.

Boards: Burton is always a good starting point. Gnu, Ride ect ect. There are 100 different brands out there.

Go to a trusted shop where you live and get opinions from the guys who ride alot. Don't buy new. Go on craigslist or e-bay and buy used. You may not like the board and you certainly can't take it back after one or two uses. You can always find board deals around 30-40% less than new.

the guys at the board shop can tell you what size to get.

Bindings and boots are so important. Try them on....all of them. Buy what is comfortable, not what you can afford. Spend a little money on boots. You will thank yourself later.

Strap a few different boots in a few different bindings. Cheap bindings are a pain in the ass......

Pants and jackets.... Just try them on and see whats comfy.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
I saw some new Vans boots. Instead of the laces they had this thin metal wire that tightened up with a clicking dial. It looked really trick.

Anyone know if that works as cool as it looks? As a father of two kids I have laced and tighted their boots like 10 billion times....these new wired boots look pretty cool.

Tighter shoes and binding make for more responsiveness from the board.

This is the BOA technology, originally used on wakeboard bindings. It works great, but doesn't seem to last long. Takes a real beating and wears the boot out quick. There are other quick lace systems that I like better.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Before you spend the duckets on a board for yourself, rent a couple different ones to get a feel for what you like. Size and type of the board with vary depending on what kind of riding you will do. Kinda like a boat. Smaller boards will be slower, but better for tricks if you wanna roll the half pipe/tricks etc. I like twin tipped with centered stance so riding fakie is easier. Longer boards will be better for speed and carving.

Look into when there will be a demo day at one of the resorts. They'll usually have various companies out there demo-ing their stuff.

Bindings are a different story. You really need to slip into different ones and boots to see whats comfortable. Nothing worse than having a shitty pair of bindings that will fatigue your feet and legs all day long. I kinda like the baseless bindings myself. You seem like you can feel the board better. I've never ridden strapless bindings myself. I'd imagine they have the feel of baseless bindings w/out getting the fatigue from the straps.

DannyH

The Other White Meat
Reaction score
Wow, so many questions, with so many more answers.

Boards: Burton is always a good starting point. Gnu, Ride ect ect. There are 100 different brands out there.

Go to a trusted shop where you live and get opinions from the guys who ride alot. Don't buy new. Go on craigslist or e-bay and buy used. You may not like the board and you certainly can't take it back after one or two uses. You can always find board deals around 30-40% less than new.

the guys at the board shop can tell you what size to get.

Bindings and boots are so important. Try them on....all of them. Buy what is comfortable, not what you can afford. Spend a little money on boots. You will thank yourself later.

Strap a few different boots in a few different bindings. Cheap bindings are a pain in the ass......

Pants and jackets.... Just try them on and see whats comfy.

I ride a LOT and agree 100% with everything stated in this post.

I don't know if play it again sports is still around anymore but they use to be a great shop for used stuff. You could buy a used board ride it and if you didn't like it they would let you trade it for something different.

Personally I have 3 different setups for the different types of riding that I do.

I have a board for hauling ass, a board for cruising, and a board I use in the terrain park.

I have Vans with the BOA setup and I love them. Good heel placement is the key to being a good stable rider. So far the BOA system is the only thing I can find that has given me the heel placement I like. There's nothing worse then trying to get up on your toe edge and having your heel come up and your board stay flat due to your heel being loose in your boot.

It took me a couple years to find the setups I liked and get everything dialed in exactly to my tastes.

Your riding position is just as important as your equipment. Go to a good shop with experienced riders they will help you get a rough idea of what your natural riding stance is. They will also help you determine whether or not you need to ride goofy or regular foot. Get some tools to take with you on the mountain I actually have a belt buckle I take with me when I ride that has all the tools I need so I can make adjustments on the fly. You will want to be able to adjust on the fly as you ride to find the position that works just right for you.

Aside from my boots everything I own is K2 and Burton.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR GEAR!

Keep your board waxed and tuned. I get my edges done at the start of every season. I get my board waxed when snow starts sticking to the bottom.

Shopping for a good deal is one thing but do NOT go cheap, like everything else you get what you pay for.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Also if your new at this sport don't be afraid to ask the guys at the shop. This sport is so much different than surfing, skating and motorcross. They seem to except the newbies with no problems. Don't know why but the guys I talk to at the shop treat everyone that walks in the same.

I decided to start boarding again last year after taking about 8 years off and they were cool as hell at more than one of the shops I went to.

DannyH

The Other White Meat
Reaction score
And one last thing...

Be ready to get hurt. If you ride hard you WILL bust some sh*t up. I've accumulated a fractured elbow, several broken ribs, numerous sprains, and a couple concussions over the years. Snowboarding is not for the weak of heart. However, if you have it in your heart to do it and love it as much as I do you'll be up riding as soon as the Doc says you can to go brake some more sh*t.

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good shops in orange county? I've rented a burton at summit and did pretty well on it for my first time, but didn't pay attention to size or anything. I looked online and they are expensive as hell!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
And one last thing...

Be ready to get hurt. If you ride hard you WILL bust some sh*t up. I've accumulated a fractured elbow, several broken ribs, numerous sprains, and a couple concussions over the years. Snowboarding is not for the weak of heart. However, if you have it in your heart to do it and love it as much as I do you'll be up riding as soon as the Doc says you can to go brake some more sh*t.

This is true. My elbow still hurts from chipping a bone in there last February in Mammoth. Getting off the trail and finding some buried rocks= ouch. :eek:

rocket98

Reaction score
The two best shops in Socal are Newport Skiand Hansens. Hansen is the best but I used to work there..........Knuckle dragers SUX. Real men SKI

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
The two best shops in Socal are Newport Skiand Hansens. Hansen is the best but I used to work there..........Knuckle dragers SUX. Real men SKI

Where are those? Sport chalet, chicks, shops like that ok too?