WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So Cal Day Trippin'.. Whats open..

Bear Down

Reaction score
Need to take the wife and kid somewhere to get some Covid relief... We live in Upland and everything in the area but a few bars are closed. Looking for a place we can walk/shop and hopefully grab a bite to eat somewhere. Was thinking Carlsbad since there was a thread a few weeks ago about being open, but need some current updates as we are doing this Friday. Might make a hotel night out of it for my kid who digs having late night pizza a movies during hotel stays. Weather will be great so a beach city would be great since we can probably hit the beach for some sand time for my daughter. Any insight is appreciated.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Is Calico Ghost town open? How about the other direction- Solvang in Santa Barbara.

Reactions: TPC

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We went to Solvang the day after Christmas. Stores and restaurants are open. Although no indoor or outdoor dining areas.

Is Calico Ghost town open? How about the other direction- Solvang in Santa Barbara.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Yes but the food has to be carried off premises or out to your car to eat.
The off the chain Bakery and Mrs Knotts chicken avail as of Monday.

Meaney77

Reaction score
What about Pirates Cove or something? We were just there over New Years. Hang out by the river, head to Oatman, Bunker Bar, etc.

Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. Check availability on a cabin for the night or get a hotel in Needles/Havasu.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Need to take the wife and kid somewhere to get some Covid relief... We live in Upland and everything in the area but a few bars are closed. Looking for a place we can walk/shop and hopefully grab a bite to eat somewhere. Was thinking Carlsbad since there was a thread a few weeks ago about being open, but need some current updates as we are doing this Friday. Might make a hotel night out of it for my kid who digs having late night pizza a movies during hotel stays. Weather will be great so a beach city would be great since we can probably hit the beach for some sand time for my daughter. Any insight is appreciated.

Don't know what's open in Carlsbad but we've stayed at the Beach Terrace and had a great time. It's on the sand and you can walk to the train station and dozens of restaurants.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A bit of a drive but Paso Robles city council voted against enforcing most of the state business closure regulations so when we were there for New Years restaurants were open and most had indoor dining available.

I think the central coast (Pismo, SLO, etc.) Are pretty much open too.

I can say for the other cities in SLO county, but I would avoid San Luis like the plaque about now. The cunt mayor they have voted in the last 2 elections is as left wing as they come and has driven that city to the brink. The stories my buddy had been telling me of the bums and what all they are doing, along with the businesses being forced to shut down and close are damn near scary.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
How about to Arrowhead for the day? Shops open?

Water Romper

Reaction score
Are the Zoo's open? , San Diego animal park, How about the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History...could head south, hit 101 (PCH) head south, not sure your kid will enjoy just driving the coast though.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Victoria Gardens...ez peezy...lol
We've done that 20 different ways.... and hearing my daughter beg to get on that dumb train will cause me to go ape shit on her.....

Plus I am tired of paying $5 for toll house cookies. can't make it a weekend trip, so anthing within 80 miles works for us.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Get out of CA Texas is open.

Going to hate going back to lock down when we start heading back Friday.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Irvine spectrum, Fashion Island.
that probably is going to be the spot if nothing else comes to mind that grabs my attention.... Its a cool area to walk around and weather will be great....

was considering palm springs, but I assume they are on complete lock down downtown.

HitIt

Reaction score
You can visit Costco, home depot, or walmart. They have eliminated covid. There is apparently a lot of covid at campgrounds though so steer clear of those.

I have also heard that there is going to be a party at Facebook headquarters.

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
that probably is going to be the spot if nothing else comes to mind that grabs my attention.... Its a cool area to walk around and weather will be great....

was considering palm springs, but I assume they are on complete lock down downtown.

If you are getting an early start you can hit the car show at the Shops in San Clemente, 9-11. You can then head north on PCH through Dana Point, Laguna Beach, ending up in Fashion Island. You won't be alone but there will be plenty of things to look at along the way.

Singleton

Reaction score
Carlsbad is hit and miss theses days.
A few restaurants are doing peaceful protests against the governors order, but a few city council members are against that and now the PD are writing reports and sending them to the DA when they see it :(

I would post the restaurants online, but don’t what to draw attention to those places

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
My wife and I drove down PCH last week end and a lot of the little towns along the way were busy. Ended up staying the night at the hotel del Coronado. It was a nice way to burn 24 hrs. Might do it again but stay some where along the way Encinitas, Carlsbad etc...

DaBank

Reaction score
Is any restaurants or bars open for out doors in San Diego (Little Italy) or Coronado? I need to go down there for 2 days and want to see where it would be better to stay and be able to walk and actually eat/drink.

Familyties

Reaction score
All of Governor Newsom's winery's and restaurants are openo_O

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Big bear was open and crowded last weekend. We ate inside at one place. Places are expensive

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I think Temecula is pretty good still, Palm desert lockdown so my wife takes our daughter to volleyball there.

ssc

Reaction score
I ride my bike between Huntington Beach and Newport and most places are open. Perhaps a drive to HB and check out the pier and Main Street. Plenty of places to eat.

Cheers, Steve

bk2drvr

Reaction score
If you off-road.....we just did Anza Borrego for the day with the kids and two trucks. Its bitchen down there. Took a lunch, chairs and EZUP. Ton to see down there. Get their map and figure out what you want to see. It was refreshing to say the least. Need 4wd though.

Borrego1.jpg
Borrego2.jpg

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I would recommend Temecula
Darrell on here owns OBC great restaurant awesome food. actually beautiful area around there. wineries all over. old town is pretty cool also.

But have food at OBC you will not be disappointed

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Go support bread and barley in covina if you are up that way.

Newport is mostly open. Go support slapfish for food in OC.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Newports a great idea .... I live here..... I could hit Fashion Island with a driver [well maybe 2 drivers]. Red O and Gulfstream are open as are all the others for outdoor seating and they've set em up nice for our fancies. I'm in escape mode myself so I'm hitting the road around 9am and heading south. I'll grab two steaks at Seisels Meat Shop in San Diego on way to buddies in Pt Loma.... he'll grill em up and we'll head out Friday am to LaFonda for lobster south of border. Back to his place before sunset cause I no longer drive in MX after dark. Road trips are only way to stay sane these days.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Not sure if you are Covid consious but a change of pace is to take the train (Amtrack) to Del Mar, eat at Pizza Port and if you time it right, watch the horse races at Del Mar or, rent a car and go to the Gas Lamp district and then go to Mission Bay and tour an air craft carrier

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Temecula is closed! I swear we’re going to become the next parker as far as congestion! Moved her 10yrs ago and all I see is people leaving the OC and and LA and snatching up houses for mostly cash from the sale of their old houses. Im also afraid we’re going to end up like Austin and turn blue!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Temecula is closed! I swear we’re going to become the next parker as far as congestion! Moved her 10yrs ago and all I see is people leaving the OC and and LA and snatching up houses for mostly cash from the sale of their old houses. Im also afraid we’re going to end up like Austin and turn blue!
Somebody mentioned you could grow grapes out your way about then... and you were fucked my friend. Saw Paso Robles go through it before Temecula.....