WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So Cal to Havasu (with kids)

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I know its been kicked around on here a couple times. When I try and search for the threads of wisdom I only find years-old threads.

Who's made the move to Havasu from Southern California? I have the opportunity to do just that, but cant help but think I'm being selfish about it. When I used to bring the subject up to the wife, it was always a pipe-dream of mine, and she would entertain me about it.. "Oh that would be nice sometime...."

Well she's come around a LOT, and likes the idea more and more. Now that it's becoming somewhat of a reality or something that she's willing to do, I'm getting cold feet / having 2nd thoughts. We know about the heat and living in the desert, before we moved home to So Cal, we lived for 10 years in Tucson / Mesa / Tempe. I worry about my kids, and my decision to move to Havasu having a compounding effect on them becoming meth heads. They are 11 (boy), 6 (boy) and 2.5 (girl). I know schools aren't rated as high, but the class sizes look to be almost half of California. They play little league etc, but are ALWAYS wanting to be at the river.... on the boat or the RZR.

The wife would more than likely leave her job, and we would live on my (California) salary (~120-160 / year).

The housing market seems almost like it is here, with a decent 4-5 bed newer home being around 500k. We have about 200 in equity but aren't sure if we would keep and rent out, or sell it.

Just looking for thoughts and input, maybe some things I haven't considered yet... and experience from people who have made that move / leap of faith.

Thanks in advance.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
What part of So Cal are you looking to move from?

Andy01

Reaction score
Call me on speaker phone or a conference call with both you and your wife.

Been here since July 1st. Was here every other weekend before the move.

Andy01

Reaction score
I say call me as I could type for a hour or more. There's a lot to consider.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Call me on speaker phone or a conference call with both you and your wife.

Been here since July 1st. Was here every other weekend before the move.

This would require us being in the same place at the same time. [emoji23]

Until then, can you say if it’s been positive or negative..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodnJen

Reaction score
Being from Eastvale you probably have a nice neighborhood with lots of kids, know who your neighbors are etc.. Havasu is a bit hit and miss as far as neighborhoods go, especially in relation to school proximity. You will find some "nice" areas where people live, some part-timers and some full. Capturing that neighborhood feel in Havasu would be tough.

We like it there, but don't live there. My dad has been there for 25+ years and this is just my observation.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I say call me as I could type for a hour or more. There's a lot to consider.

Not really.. lol. Look at the pics you took of your kids over the last 10 Days. Now imagine what the pics look like when you are living in so cal.

Havasu is So a Cal 10-20 years ago.. it’s the exact same vibe I grew up with in Carlsbad. Except we were at the beach during the week.

17CD912E-4981-4838-8A33-7C7A17696D4D.jpeg
9E64EDB7-BF53-4F32-8510-53B0A65906DF.jpeg
36A4C6FE-313C-4B30-9775-44460EF59B48.jpeg
71AB7BAE-D71C-4391-A8EC-B158691BE94A.jpeg
462D8DE6-198E-43EB-9FE4-9328B6292191.jpeg
D691E841-F375-43DC-BAED-5BCB66074778.jpeg
E0D85A84-C020-47E2-9A70-04D596E7716E.jpeg
CA9BE6C5-AC54-4A98-948D-2699F091B080.jpeg

Andy01

Reaction score
Your welcome to call me alone (boy that sounds gay).

Positive, to a degree. Some things are "different". That said, I'm way happier and my daughters are happy. It's done my family well.

I put my kids in private school right away, not the second year, not years later. Write it in your budget. They're entire class minus 3 kids (including one of mine) has been together since 3. Love it. Kids love it, 5-8 daughters.

As for the property, consider your exposure on the house in California versus two or three here.

Income tax per state is about 10% less. So we get a raise come tax time living here.

Heath care isn't great, there's a lot to be desired here. Most restaurants are so so, everyone under 30 is covered in tattoos and everyone over needs a treadmill. AND NO ONE in this town can tell time.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My main concern with kids out here is employment when hey are out of high school etc.. there just isn’t any industry out here. As with anything though there is ways around that too I suppose.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Your welcome to call me alone (boy that sounds gay).

Positive, to a degree. Some things are "different". That said, I'm way happier and my daughters are happy. It's done my family well.

I put my kids in private school right away, not the second year, not years later. Write it in your budget. They're entire class minus 3 kids (including one of mine) has been together since 3. Love it. Kids love it, 5-8 daughters.

As for the property, consider your exposure on the house in California versus two or three here.

Income tax per state is about 10% less. So we get a raise come tax time living here.

Heath care isn't great, there's a lot to be desired here. Most restaurants are so so, everyone under 30 is covered in tattoos and everyone over needs a treadmill. AND NO ONE in this town can tell time.

They can tell time.. nobody cares. Lol

Andy01

Reaction score
Not really.. lol. Look at the pics you took of your kids over the last 10 Days. Now imagine what the pics look like when you are living in so cal.

Havasu is So a Cal 10-20 years ago.. it’s the exact same vibe I grew up with in Carlsbad. Except we were at the beach during the week.

Would look the same, I've been coming here for 10 days at thanksgiving for years.

Not So Cal 10-20 years ago, So Cal 30 years ago plus.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Would look the same, I've been coming here for 10 days at thanksgiving for years.

Not So Cal 10-20 years ago, So Cal 30 years ago plus.

Well then across the last month. You know what I meant.

As far as the timeline, the vibe of this town is very much like Carlsbad was when I grew up and lived there.. right before the population explosion.

Andy01

Reaction score

As far as the timeline, the vibe of this town is very much like Carlsbad was when I grew up and lived there.. right before the population explosion.

Oohhh like "dad the pumkins are rotten" Oh they are? Well do you guys want to go shoot them in the desert after school?? " YES can we please please". Yes, that part of life is different.

The day to day stuff is ever changing, this town needs a wake up call. There is such a opportunity for real hard working people it is amazing. No one cares what time it is, or what they look like. Yet they all stand around asking why they don't have any money in their pocket or why they can't own the company. Talking to business owners and clients in this town it is a very big problem, the talented labor is far apart and end up being supers or owners half the time. Don't consider finishing a project in double the time they quote either.

BajaT

Reaction score
Did it 15 years ago from So Cal. Started family here so not quite the same, but no regrets.....I would sell based on where housing market sits and rent a place for time being. Could get very lucky with the market. Money saved by waiting, buy a 2nd place in the mountains so you have a place to get away from the heat....Lot of nice places to go with less than 3 hour drive from Havasu...

Andy01

Reaction score
Did it 15 years ago from So Cal. Started family here so not quite the same, but no regrets.....I would sell based on where housing market sits and rent a place for time being. Could get very lucky with the market. Money saved by waiting, buy a 2nd place in the mountains so you have a place to get away from the heat....Lot of nice places to go with less than 3 hour drive from Havasu...
I've been hearing it more and more. "get a place in the mountains" something I may look at after the next house is done. Wouldn't mind a piece of land north some place with a view. Maybe a little cabin and a landing strip.

Cdog

Reaction score
Scottsdale/Phoenix is not an option?

We tried to move back to Laguna Hills last year and decided we couldn’t stay (Nelie Gail Ranch) unless we put the kids in private school. Both my kids are getting straight A’s here in North Scottsdale schools.

fishing fool

Reaction score
We need a reAL perspective from a regular person who actually gets up every morning and does the daily grind. Not no "work" from home folks. ;)

There is not much of a difference. I have friends (not dave or Andy) that made the move 3 years ago. Their kids are now 15 and 13, both play sports. Travel soccer there is a little more travel.
I have talked to them about it and the kids and parents both love it.
Dad is a concrete truck driver and can pick the kids up after school most days and mom works for the school district so she is off when the kids are.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Every place that you vacation at has the appeal of being the best place ever. But if you need to get up every morning and go to work for yourself or others in that place it looses that atmosphere.

Now looking to retire and no kids involved I can see it.

My cousin and his family live in havasu. They do pretty well, kids In private school and cheer, ect. But they have also said it has its hard times and this last summer said it seemed worse.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have been here 4 years full time and got to lots of people with kids.
1. Sport for kids is very good.
2. The high school (seems normal to me just like HB) except they have uniforms.
3. Jobs (you better have a good paying job or a profession than can make some cash
4. Housing will be cheaper
5. Traffic is wonderful
6. Lake is great
7. Hospital needs attention (the best docs are not working in a small town).
8. Teenager are the same.
9. Warm temps is pool time

USMC2010

Reaction score
We moved here spring of 10 right before my son's senior year and I have an 8-5 job and am on call 24-7. Employment that is not relevant to the local economy so that is nice. I have a former coworker that moved here from SoCal about 2 years ago, they have 2 young children and love it. Havasu is a tough nut to crack, if you have an opportunity take it. Just watch out for all of us meth head uneducated folks, sheesh when will those comments stop?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We tried selling our CA place in 2005 before the big housing crash. We had a vacation home in the south side of Havasu.
We enrolled the kids in school that summer. Oldest 2 at Thunderbolt Middle and our youngest went to Oro Grande Elementary.
The two oldest kids loved it there. The youngest not as much.
We kept lowering our asking price in Temecula but couldn't get it sold.
We decided to stay in CA and the kids started back up at school at home.
They got jipped from their summer that year.
We ended up selling our Havasu home Sept 2005.

Last year my youngest graduated college and moved out. We decided it was our time to try again.
Sold the Temecula house in Sept 2016 and we are building a new home on the golf course. I have a build thread here.
I will still work/commute to either So Cal or PHX but I will be on a 4x10 work week.
I've got 10 more years to work, but didn't want to wait till 2028 to build in Havasu.
Housing prices have steadily climbed and we didn't want to miss out on the opportunity again.

My recommendation would be to rent out your CA home and try renting in Havasu for a year or two. If everyone likes it then take the plunge.
These days the best bang for the buck it to buy existing and gut/remodel how you want it.
Find the neighborhood you like and wait for a house to come up for sale.

Best of Luck!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

I've often described Havasu as a timewarp back in time.
YOU were part of tbe population explosion in Carlsbad my friend, it was way nicer before all the OC peeps showed up, lol:p:D
Hell, Highway 78 still had stoplights and intersections:cool:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've often described Havasu as a timewarp back in time.
YOU were part of tbe population explosion in Carlsbad my friend, it was way nicer before all the OC peeps showed up, lol:p:D
Hell, Highway 78 still had stoplights and intersections:cool:

We were in North County in either 79 or 80 if I had to guess.. Lived in Vidta though.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We were in North County in either 79 or 80 if I had to guess.. Lived in Vidta though.
1968. Tri-City area.
The 80's were still nice but in the 90's it began to loose the small town feel.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I don't think I could do it due to the limitations it would put on my kid come graduation. Havasu is a great town but the economy gives very few a good chance to succeed unless you own a company or bring in outside $$$.

I wouldn't be worried about the education...You get out what you put in and we are very involved in our sons life.

The older I get the less I think I could deal with 120 degree summers daily. I would be afraid I would drink my self to death and become very lazy getting stuff done come summertime....lol

USMC2010

Reaction score
I don't think I could do it due to the limitations it would put on my kid come graduation. Havasu is a great town but the economy gives very few a good chance to succeed unless you own a company or bring in outside $$$.

I wouldn't be worried about the education...You get out what you put in and we are very involved in our sons life.

The older I get the less I think I could deal with 120 degree summers daily. I would be afraid I would drink my self to death and become very lazy getting stuff done come summertime....lol
I watch my son and his wife bust there ass to stay here. It can be done but decent work is an issue in this community. The heat...you get used to it (somewhat) after a few years.

DLC

Reaction score
How much money (annual salary) do you all think it takes to live a nice middle of the road life style? Say you have a mortgage of $1,200 month...
It seems like worker wages are really low, but the over all cost of goods and services seems to be just slightly less than here in San Diego.

For an example my 12 ft tall roll up RV garage door broke (chain drive gear on the opener broke) and the cost to fix it was $280 new drive gear kit and labor, and the guy was onsite for less than an hr. I also gave the kid $20 bucks tip / lunch, he just had a new baby.

I just talked to my neighbor he is a garage door guy and he would charge $325-$350 depending drive time (location & Traffic ). So the same work in San Diego would be $45 to 50 +/- dollars more.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
How much money (annual salary) do you all think it takes to live a nice middle of the road life style? Say you have a mortgage of $1,200 month...
It seems like worker wages are really low, but the over all cost of goods and services seems to be just slightly less than here in San Diego.

For an example my 12 ft tall roll up RV garage door broke (chain drive gear on the opener broke) and the cost to fix it was $280 new drive gear kit and labor, and the guy was onsite for less than an hr. I also gave the kid $20 bucks tip / lunch, he just had a new baby.

I just talked to my neighbor he is a garage door guy and he would charge $325-$350 depending drive time (location & Traffic ). So the same work in San Diego would be $45 to 50 +/- dollars more.

Define middle of the road. Middle of the road in So Cal or middle of the road in Havasu. Those are 2 very different things. I don't think middle of the road in Havasu is a new 450K house with a 1700Sq ft climate controlled garage with a new RZR, a deck boat and a couple nice cars in it.

Living in Havasu, you'll have about an 8% ish raise (Maybe more now) just in lower taxes if you move over there and keep your salary. Gas is cheaper, and you will use a lot less of it. Goods are about the same. Services are... call it 20% cheaper I guess.

To answer your question, to live a middle of the road Havasu lifestyle with a $300k decent house, I think you'd need somewhere in the $60 - $70K range to have fun while living within your means. I am just basing this off of what I know my tenants make.

I'd like to retire there, but I don't think I could live there full time at this stage of my life.

Last edited:

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
We tried selling our CA place in 2005 before the big housing crash. We had a vacation home in the south side of Havasu.
We enrolled the kids in school that summer. Oldest 2 at Thunderbolt Middle and our youngest went to Oro Grande Elementary.
The two oldest kids loved it there. The youngest not as much.
We kept lowering our asking price in Temecula but couldn't get it sold.
We decided to stay in CA and the kids started back up at school at home.
They got jipped from their summer that year.
We ended up selling our Havasu home Sept 2005.

Last year my youngest graduated college and moved out. We decided it was our time to try again.
Sold the Temecula house in Sept 2016 and we are building a new home on the golf course. I have a build thread here.
I will still work/commute to either So Cal or PHX but I will be on a 4x10 work week.
I've got 10 more years to work, but didn't want to wait till 2028 to build in Havasu.
Housing prices have steadily climbed and we didn't want to miss out on the opportunity again.

My recommendation would be to rent out your CA home and try renting in Havasu for a year or two. If everyone likes it then take the plunge.
These days the best bang for the buck it to buy existing and gut/remodel how you want it.
Find the neighborhood you like and wait for a house to come up for sale.

Best of Luck!

I’ll look up your build thread. The idea of buying a lot (we’d like to be in R.E., but you know) and building a house on it, our way, just for us, is really intriguing to the wife.

Spent a good hour on the phone with Andy last night. Thanks again!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Define middle of the road. Middle of the road in So Cal or middle of the road in Havasu. Those are 2 very different things. I don't think middle of the road in Havasu is a new 450K house with a 1700Sq ft climate controlled garage with a new RZR, a deck boat and a couple nice cars in it.

Living in Havasu, you'll have about an 8% ish raise (Maybe more now) just in lower taxes if you move over there and keep your salary. Gas is cheaper, and you will use a lot less of it. Goods are about the same. Services are... call it 20% cheaper I guess.

To answer your question, to live a middle of the road Havasu lifestyle with a $300k decent house, I think you'd need somewhere in the $60 - $70K range to have fun while living within your means. I am just basing this off of what I know my tenants make.

I'd like to retire there, but I don't think I could live there full time at this stage of my life.

I think this is a fair assessment....2 people making 40K each could probably live a good live in Havasu in a regular 3/2 house with a semi standard garage.

The RE market has gone crazy and I think a house I would be happy with has now jumped closer to 400-450K (pool/rv)

The deal ship where you could cash out of So Cal and buy a pimp house in havasu for under 350K sailed about 2 years ago.

DLC

Reaction score
In my post I said with a $1,200.00 mortgage, so what ever type of house or a down payment to end up with a $1,200 payment, however your right !

I’m guess that $60,000.00 to $80,000 total house hold income you could get by and live a nice modest lifestyle.... Keep in mind havasu isn’t So Cal!

My wife is in Banking here in San Diego and we talked to a nice lady she was in her mid 40’s to maybe early 50’s she was also into banking and lives in Havasu and has been working for a smaller local bank and she said she is making $15/hr and she has been there for a while 8+years working full time.
We were kinda surprised

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
In my post I said with a $1,200.00 mortgage, so what ever type of house or a down payment to end up with a $1,200 payment, however your right !

I’m guess that $60,000.00 to $80,000 total house hold income you could get by and live a nice modest lifestyle.... Keep in mind havasu isn’t So Cal!

My wife is in Banking here in San Diego and we talked to a nice lady she was in her mid 40’s to maybe early 50’s she was also into banking and lives in Havasu and has been working for a smaller local bank and she said she is making $15/hr and she has been there for a while 8+years working full time.
We were kinda surprised

$1200 is pretty light...basically a 200K mortgage once you figure in insurance and property tax.

I think you need to be closer to 300K to have a house I would consider nice in today's market....sure you could find something older and ok for that price but it would be a 1980's house with a standard 2 car garage and probably no walls/fence or anything going on in the back yard..

jones performance

Reaction score
if your not aware look into the 5year plan for the city of eastvale... needless to say its gonna get very crowded.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
$1200 is pretty light...basically a 200K mortgage once you figure in insurance and property tax.

I think you need to be closer to 300K to have a house I would consider nice in today's market....sure you could find something older and ok for that price but it would be a 1980's house with a standard 2 car garage and probably no walls/fence or anything going on in the back yard..

My house is probably worth $220-230K now. Quiet north/central neighborhood, 1300 SQ/Ft, 30 foot deep 2 car garage, built in '99. Newer granite throughout, Tile floors, carpeted bedrooms, middle of the road cabinets, middle of the road finishes. Chain link fence back yard, tile roof, no pool, decent sized lot.

I don't think you have to settle for something old or that needs work in that price range. But what I listed is what you can probably expect for low 200s. Certainly decent and live able, but not bad ass.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I’ll look up your build thread. The idea of buying a lot (we’d like to be in R.E., but you know) and building a house on it, our way, just for us, is really intriguing to the wife.

Yeah RE lots have really increased over the past couple of years, but there are still some good flat lots left.

Building a new home has its positives, but it sure is a rollercoaster ride full of indecision and second guessing yourself.
You get to make decisions on finishes you cant really see a big enough sample to really know what you are getting.
You try to imagine every scenario to determine what you need/want. Easy to over think it... We sure have. Its quite a leap of faith.

If you do decide to build, make sure you know what the builder allowances are for appliances, cabinets, counters, flooring, lighting etc.
'Cause every time we picked something out, we were usually at least 50% over the builder allowance.
I had $15K set aside for upgrades and I ended up spending about $40k.

Appliance Allowance $2k - Our appliances = $11k
Cabinets Allowance $9100 - Our cabinets= $22k
Countertop Allowance $9k - Our countertops = 12k
Flooring Allowance $8400 - Our flooring = $12k
Lighting Allowance 1150 - Our Lighting = $3700
Total Allowances $29650 - Our Total = $60,700 :eek:

That didn't include the lot grading, or any Electrical/ Stereo/Plumbing upgrades

Now I just have to landscape the front and back yards and put in a pool and cabana. LOL o_O

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Yeah RE lots have really increased over the past couple of years, but there are still some good flat lots left.

Building a new home has its positives, but it sure is a rollercoaster ride full of indecision and second guessing yourself.
You get to make decisions on finishes you cant really see a big enough sample to really know what you are getting.
You try to imagine every scenario to determine what you need/want. Easy to over think it... We sure have. Its quite a leap of faith.

If you do decide to build, make sure you know what the builder allowances are for appliances, cabinets, counters, flooring, lighting etc.
'Cause every time we picked something out, we were usually at least 50% over the builder allowance.
I had $15K set aside for upgrades and I ended up spending about $40k.

That didn't include the lot grading, or any Electrical/ Stereo/Plumbing upgrades

Now I just have to landscape the front and back yards and put in a pool and cabana. LOL o_O

THIS part we are pros at. We’ve moved into 4 new builds where we (she) picked out all the option parts and flooring that skyrocket the price at a builder design center type place. Haha. She’s over the moon about being able to possibly piece together the actual layout of the house.

I need to get on my horse, I’ve heard the last few RE lots are high in price and few and far between.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

o_O

Damn those are some low allowances.....

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
THIS part we are pros at. We’ve moved into 4 new builds where we (she) picked out all the option parts and flooring that skyrocket the price at a builder design center type place. Haha. She’s over the moon about being able to possibly piece together the actual layout of the house.

I need to get on my horse, I’ve heard the last few RE lots are high in price and few and far between.

Call Paul65k or Stacey :) There are 2 on my street but they are over $200k each.

We started with a 1850 sq ft builders model and expanded the floor plan to 2282 sq foot and added a 400 sq ft casita.
They were used to building the same models over and over so ours has been quite a challenge for them.

Also remember the setbacks are 10' on the sides for RE, so you need a fairly wide lot...at least 80 feet.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Call Paul65k or Stacey :) There are 2 on my street but they are over $200k each.

We started with a 1850 sq ft builders model and expanded the floor plan to 2282 sq foot and added a 400 sq ft casita.
They were used to building the same models over and over so ours has been quite a challenge for them.

Also remember the setbacks are 10' on the sides for RE, so you need a fairly wide lot...at least 80 feet.

200k??! Eff that noise.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

I would be happy to speak with you and give you the "Real" info on the Real Estate Market here. It is all over the place and if you compare to a "Typical" house in So Cal we have to clearly define what that means to YOU.

Asking how much a home costs here is like asking the open question....."How much does a boat cost??"

Give me or Stacy a call and we'll give you a confidential review of how far your $$ will go as far as Real Estate goes and what options you want to think about as you are making that part of your decision.

We both made the move here full time over 5 years ago (Me after owning a second home for ~25 years) and Stacy/Dave after spending pretty much their entire lives coming here to vacation/play. We have a pretty good view of the good and bad of living here and I WILL give you an honest opinion when we chat.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
FBW,

I want to move to havasu like you wouldnt believe. I cant get enough. I hate leaving every weekend. That view. The boat life. The SxS life. So much fun and so many life lessons to be learned by the kids. But i cannot for the life of me move here until my kids have graduated HS. I would tell you to really do the research on the schools. It doesnt matter one bit the class size if the teachers are garbage and the curriculum is shit. I cannot and will not put my kids at a disadvantage to start their lives. This to me is the ONLY drawback to living in havasu. There was a story in the havasu paper a month or so ago about one of the elementary schools receiving a D- grade. Until Havasu and or the state of arizona starts paying teachers a decent wage to hire good teachers (ad im not saying they are all bad) its just not worth the risk for OUR family.

All schools and school districts are not created the same. I am lucky now as are you that we live in cities where the schools are ranked highly in the United States. Thats just not the case in Havasu.