WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

so I been thinking

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
All the new trucks semis and pickups have to have emissions and Def. So why doesn't the trains and ships?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
All the new trucks semis and pickups have to have emissions and Def. So why doesn't the trains and ships?

Seriously? Its 2021. And you just thought of this?

Only ca. Clean air certified trucks into the ports. Ships, not so much. Trains, probably a bit better, by how much I don't know.

The smog machines that pull the grand canyon coaches daily are from 1970. Hideous amount of rolling coal. Def might be a bit much, but gotta be something better than those antiques. BNSF doesn't smoke like that. And yes I see it daily from my front porch.

Dan'l

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Seriously? Its 2021. And you just thought of this?

Only ca. Clean air certified trucks into the ports. Ships, not so much. Trains, probably a bit better, by how much I don't know.

The smog machines that pull the grand canyon coaches daily are from 1970. Hideous amount of rolling coal. Def might be a bit much, but gotta be something better than those antiques. BNSF doesn't smoke like that. And yes I see it daily from my front porch.

Dan'l
My 03 doesn't smoke either

CantComplain

Reaction score

I work with the NRCS and AQMD from time to time on equipment purchases that are awarded grants to replace old non compliant equipment with new compliant equipment, I’m pretty sure I’ve read somewhere along the line that anything over 750 hp are held to a different set of rules.

hallett21

Reaction score
Considering freight locomotives are diesel/electric I’m not sure how much more efficient you could get. Considering how much freight they can move. Some trains probably replace 1,000 semi trucks.

I know ships switch between clean and dirty fuel depending on proximity to US Ports.

Are ships running generators to power electric motors yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor Boater

Reaction score
We were talking about this in another thread a while back. California has all these strict emissions on land and right off shore are a bunch of tankers and cargo ships sitting for weeks at a time running Diesel engines and generators. LOL.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Considering freight locomotives are diesel/electric I’m not sure how much more efficient you could get. Considering how much freight they can move. Some trains probably replace 1,000 semi trucks.

I know ships switch between clean and dirty fuel depending on proximity to US Ports.

Are ships running generators to power electric motors yet?

The trains are still running diesel engines. So where is the emissions on them?

So if a semi has more than 750 hp it's exempt?

Yoshiro

Reaction score
There are different regulations for the higher HP classes. (I've been with a Caterpillar dealer for over 20 years)

For instance on some trains, we had been replacing the old non emissions engines with a higher tier emission rating like 2, but not tier 4 like on highway trucks are. Heavy equipment is similar, we have been replacing engines for years in CA with tier 2 or tier 3 engines, removing the tier 0 non emission engines. This has been a big business for us, but over time these tier 2 and 3 engines will also not be allowed in CA. Now you can buy tier 4 final heavy equipment in most sizes. (Tier 4 final is currently the standard for new clean emission diesels)

Ships and power generation use much larger HP engines and don't have the same set of rules. For instance, Caterpillar doesn't even make a generator over 1 megawatt that's tier 4. Obviously over time the tiered emission standards will extend to the larger HP engines too.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
When I was riding the AMTRAK & Metrolink to and from work everyday we avoided the trains with GE locomotives.

The train cars filled up with diesel smoke on slow hot days. It sucked. The better the weather the slower and later they ran. Schedules backed up and we often had a choice of trains.

Then GE started delivering cleaner running replacement locomotives and that issue went away.
Dunno if they were mfg’d by GE or who but they ran much cleaner.

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
We were talking about this in another thread a while back. California has all these strict emissions on land and right off shore are a bunch of tankers and cargo ships sitting for weeks at a time running Diesel engines and generators. LOL.
Not only burning diesel , but 12 miles out in international waters , they burn bunker fuel ! Not exactly clean air stuff

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Not only burning diesel , but 12 miles out in international waters , they burn bunker fuel ! Not exactly clean air stuff
The world needs to go NUCLEAR ☢ all problems solved!
All these environmental nuts have no clue when going after the chump change.
As Hallett Boy points out ...see below
Container ships
Shipping containers
produce more greenhouse gas emissions than some small countries. According to The Essential Daily Briefing: “It has been estimated that just one of these container ships, the length of around six football pitches, can produce the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The world needs to go NUCLEAR ☢ all problems solved!
All these environmental nuts have no clue when going after the chump change.
As Hallett Boy points out ...see below
Container ships
Shipping containers
produce more greenhouse gas emissions than some small countries. According to The Essential Daily Briefing: “It has been estimated that just one of these container ships, the length of around six football pitches, can produce the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars.
Yes ! We do need to re-visit nuclear energy , heck we could just call Russia and ask them how they do it ! JK , it’s way safer these days .

copterzach

Reaction score
Rolling coal and delivering green energy

63915928794__6B2E82F4-1611-444C-BD62-F9B681AFC0E7.jpg

Attachments

• 63915928794__6B2E82F4-1611-444C-BD62-F9B681AFC0E7.jpg
    63915928794__6B2E82F4-1611-444C-BD62-F9B681AFC0E7.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 30