WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So i bought this v drive!

mobboss

Reaction score
Hello everyone!, So a couple weeks ago i got a 71 schiada flat bottom v drive. ive had a wacker, i own a jet , but never used or been in a flat bottom v drive. What do i need to know???? Dos and donts Any help would be appreciated! Thank you. here some pics of what i got! DSCF0386.jpg 013.jpg DSCF0389.jpg

65Mandella

Reaction score
Looks like a great start!!! Schiada's are great boats??
What are you going to do with it?? What kind of power? First thing I would do is clean everything out of it and inspect the hull. Make sure floors are solid, stringers are solid etc... Look for stress cracks, etc.....
Get back to us after that, but you have a great starter!!! Take some pics of outer transom and underneath.

mobboss

Reaction score
Looks like a great start!!! Schiada's are great boats??
What are you going to do with it?? What kind of power? First thing I would do is clean everything out of it and inspect the hull. Make sure floors are solid, stringers are solid etc... Look for stress cracks, etc.....
Get back to us after that, but you have a great starter!!! Take some pics of outer transom and underneath.

everything has been cleaned out the hull is perfect, so are the stringers . and here is a pic of the back. any advise???? as far as running it . 003.jpg 046.jpg

the plan with it is to make it a play toy! i have the family boat, i want something to play with. i plan on a olds 455 for power. that was the oringinal power plant in it. the guy i got the boat from bought it for the engine that was in it. a 427 ford FE motor 500 plus hp. was told the the gear box was redone to handle the power. new ss tanks , need to be installed , replace the seats, want a 2 seater. I guess im looking to have a fast fun boat.

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
Step away from the olds! Lol...

Nice looking boat though! Definately a good start for a project.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Don't know anything about them either, just marking my place so I can keep up on your thread. Looks like a fun project, keep us posted!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Pull the prop and have it straightened, pull the prop shaft and replace the bushings in the strut and whip strut. Steering appears to be push/pull rotary helm, not really desireable but might work in low hp applications.

Install safety collars on the prop shaft, either between the v-drive and the shaft log or in front of the strut. Should also be a safety collar on the rudder shaft (replace this seal as well).

mobboss

Reaction score
Pull the prop and have it straightened, pull the prop shaft and replace the bushings in the strut and whip strut. Steering appears to be push/pull rotary helm, not really desireable but might work in low hp applications.

Whats wrong with it. i thought it was better than the cable systems i have seen. well i liked it better?????

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Whats wrong with it. i thought it was better than the cable systems i have seen. well i liked it better?????

Biggest issue is that every part of it is hidden preventing you from seeing any issues. Old style sprocket and chain with cable to/from rudder quadrant has all moving parts exposed to view.

mobboss

Reaction score
Biggest issue is that every part of it is hidden preventing you from seeing any issues. Old style sprocket and chain with cable to/from rudder quadrant has all moving parts exposed to view.

Ok thank you for explaining that to me makes sense ! hey quick question, cause i dont know! can i shift the gear box from neutral to drive and so forth with the engine running???

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Ok thank you for explaining that to me makes sense ! hey quick question, cause i dont know! can i shift the gear box from neutral to drive and so forth with the engine running???

Can you or should you? You can, but I don't. Pull it into neautral, start and warm the engine, shut it off, spin the nose toward the open water, put her in gear then fire. Coming in, bring it in slow then shut it down. Jump off your ass, scramble to the nose and get some skin and bone between the nose and the dock. Skin and bone healup fairly quickly, gelcoat, not so much.

mobboss

Reaction score
Can you or should you? You can, but I don't. Pull it into neautral, start and warm the engine, shut it off, spin the nose toward the open water, put her in gear then fire. Coming in, bring it in slow then shut it down. Jump off your ass, scramble to the nose and get some skin and bone between the nose and the dock. Skin and bone healup fairly quickly, gelcoat, not so much.

Thank you ! keep them coming!!!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Those old Schiada hulls can really haul ass if you set them right and give them some power. If you want to go fast get rid of that prop in favor of a steel 2 blade and switch to cable steering. Cable steering can't bind on you like push pull steering and cable is tuneable with all the different size chain gears available. The quadrants can play a part in that as well.

This is a hull like yours with 990 heads and a big flat tappet cam racing against a 96 mph runner bottom.

[video=youtube;LhPHXcDItbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhPHXcDItbc[/video]

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Those old Schiada hulls can really haul ass if you set them right and give them some power. If you want to go fast get rid of that prop in favor of a steel 2 blade and switch to cable steering. Cable steering can't bind on you like push pull steering and cable is tuneable with all the different size chain gears available. The quadrants can play a part in that as well.

This is a hull like yours with 990 heads and a big flat tappet cam racing against a 96 mph runner bottom.

[video=youtube;LhPHXcDItbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhPHXcDItbc[/video]

That thing is a runner. :thumbup:

mobboss

Reaction score
Nice thanks guys. the gear box was just done before i got it. from what i was told it was sent in to be set up to handle 500 plus hp from a 428 motor that was in the boat. did not get the motor with the boat.

ctchndltgo200

Reaction score

I have a Walter Marine Parallel Drive, can I use a TH 350 with a manual valve body and the park pall removed?

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I have a Walter Marine Parallel Drive, can I use a TH 350 with a manual valve body and the park pall removed?

Walter has been out of business for a decade or more, so no parts available. Ponder a switch out now to Casale V-drive. Walters also used straight cut gears and are a noisy mofo.

TH350? Sure. What hull is it going into? You want to think very hard about adding a transmission for a couple of reasons. 1) weight and moving the CG of the boat, 2) low free board. Low freeboard and reverse gears don't play well together. The flat end doesn't cut through the water like the pointy end does. Reverse and ANY throttle can suck the ass under REAL quick.

You'd be better off without a trans and use the prop and v-drive gears to adjust the set the boat takes.

Community

Reaction score
I have the boat now and it's at Tracer Marine for Mahogany floors and a cap job. Will rough rig it then back for paint. Just got a new trailer for it as well. Maybe done in summer of 2014?

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
I have the boat now and it's at Tracer Marine for Mahogany floors and a cap job. Will rough rig it then back for paint. Just got a new trailer for it as well. Maybe done in summer of 2014?

Hey, the summer of 2014 is almost all over already:D:D:D That must mean that the boat is almost finished...:thumbsup

Steve

1homeblown

Reaction score
How have I missed this build?! Great to see another Schiada flat come back to life!

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Well????????? How about a few pictures??????????:grumble::D

Steve

MOUZER

Reaction score
OH THATS THE BOAT OVER AT STUS IV SEEN IT THERE,,,,,,,, MAYBE 2015 SUMMER

Community

Reaction score
Yes, that is the one Mouzer - summer 2015 is more likely possibly 2016 - I was little off on my timeline lol - here is the transom piece. I found a 460 that will get the 557 stroker kit. Now I need to find the other stuff I will need for it like a waterpump, timing cover etc so I can mock it up when Stu is done....

transom.jpg