WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So I drove Rice Road last weekend. Here's how it went

Dana757

Reaction score
I have been going through Ehrenberg but thought what the heck. Old times sake let's take Rice. Friday I rolled into Parker about 6PM just to give a timeline. The road itself is in fantastic shape. Wish all roads in CA were close to as good. I was towing with cruise set at 57MPH knowing I'm going to be getting passed by pretty much everyone. And they did not disappoint. Everyone passed safely ..... until I got close to Vidal. A four runner passed on the solid yellow. As I approached Vidal that 4 runner was sitting at the gas pump. Who buys gas there?? Anyway I pulled along side and said told the driver that people like you are why there are so many deaths out here. The chick sitting shot gun told me to fuck off, gonna kick my ass, bla bla bla. I was like ya right and went on my way.

I just went out there to shake down my boat and check on my RV trailer. Boat ran flawlessly and trailer needs new batteries. I was back on the road Saturday about 1ish. Same deal, cruise set at 57. I stopped counting dangerous passes at 10. There were at least double that. Not all were solid yellow. Some you could see the on coming traffic and they still go for it. Seemed pretty close to me and I hit the brakes hard every time. Many others were clearly in no passing zones. No way could you see what's coming and they pass anyway.

I was blown away at the sheer volume on Saturday. I just don't get it. How could so many people be so reckless with total disregard for others lives??

Anyway, guess it's always through Ehrenberg from now on. As much as I hate the 35MPH zones it's better than dying because of an idiot.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have been going through Ehrenberg but thought what the heck. Old times sake let's take Rice. Friday I rolled into Parker about 6PM just to give a timeline. The road itself is in fantastic shape. Wish all roads in CA were close to as good. I was towing with cruise set at 57MPH knowing I'm going to be getting passed by pretty much everyone. And they did not disappoint. Everyone passed safely ..... until I got close to Vidal. A four runner passed on the solid yellow. As I approached Vidal that 4 runner was sitting at the gas pump. Who buys gas there?? Anyway I pulled along side and said told the driver that people like you are why there are so many deaths out here. The chick sitting shot gun told me to fuck off, gonna kick my ass, bla bla bla. I was like ya right and went on my way.

I just went out there to shake down my boat and check on my RV trailer. Boat ran flawlessly and trailer needs new batteries. I was back on the road Saturday about 1ish. Same deal, cruise set at 57. I stopped counting dangerous passes at 10. There were at least double that. Not all were solid yellow. Some you could see the on coming traffic and they still go for it. Seemed pretty close to me and I hit the brakes hard every time. Many others were clearly in no passing zones. No way could you see what's coming and they pass anyway.

I was blown away at the sheer volume on Saturday. I just don't get it. How could so many people be so reckless with total disregard for others lives??

Anyway, guess it's always through Ehrenberg from now on. As much as I hate the 35MPH zones it's better than dying because of an idiot.

I drove ehrinburgh got pulled over 3 times and passed dangerously at least 20 times. Rice road is where it’s at and is the only way to go to the River. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
It’s not Rice Road, it’s the times you’re taking it. I leave the house at 5:30 am on Saturday so I’m hitting it at 7:30, almost no one on the road. It’s almost as empty on Saturday nights too.

Yes, I do day trips a lot just to avoid the Sunday traffic unless I can get Monday off and again, much less traffic. I never do river trips on holiday weekends either just for that reason.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I always go thru rice rd... With a extra extra cautious eye. I just cruise and let all the fuckheads pass by. Love it when i see them 10 miles ahead pulled over with chp as im cruising by. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Allow me to translate...

I towed extra slow just to piss people off. Tried to start a fight at a gas station, and brake checked everyone I could.

Rice road is dangerous I tell ya!

The end. :D

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Allow me to translate...

I towed extra slow just to piss people off. Tried to start a fight at a gas station, and brake checked everyone I could.

I think he was saying he hit the brakes hard so the people making the unsafe passes had room to get over in front of him.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Anyone notice how none of the nav apps even list enhreberg as a way to Parker/Havasu. Have maps, google and Waze and none of them consider it an option. Even say to u-turn until you drive 20 or so miles on it. I kind of like it that way!

I had to write down the directions to my friends meeting us in Havasu on memorial weekend. They are leaving Friday night. Told them to take the 40 or this way and avoid rice road that night. But-now I bet they will get a ticket in the slow zones and I’ll get blamed lol.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Totally understand how you felt. But, saying anything to that pos at the gas pump in Vidal probably just somehow empowered him to do it again to someone else. Why? Because they can. And that is exactly how a piece of shit thinks.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Google maps says it over 300 miles from L.B.C to Havasu City, must not be slowing down much in those slow zones

old rigger

Reaction score
From my house in lakewood to big river it’s 3:45 mins but I take CA 95

Sometimes we'll go home that way, kinda. Head towards Poston and then I'll shoot across the Agnes Moorehead bridge. Usually if I forget to fill up, I'll hit the Mobil in Blythe.

But I like driving through the reservation. Reminds me when we were kids and a few times we'd go work in the fields as the sun came up flagging the duster planes. Who knows what we were sprayed with?

BajaMike

Reaction score
I love Rice Road.....big, wide, state hiway, love when I get to Desert Center, feel like I’m almost there.

Just never drive it Friday afternoons or Sunday afternoons.

Couple curves, couple bumps, other than that, its a nice straight country hiway. Just don’t drive when all the ass holes are driving.

old rigger

Reaction score
Just noticed you said you leave at 4:30am. Now i see how you make such good time;):D

We only leave then because there's much less traffic getting through the god damn green river pass. I use to make that drive everyday to Warlock. I don't run over 80 on the 10 and keep it at 60 through the reservation. Been pulled over a few times through there but never got a ticket, those reservation cops are cool.

DLC

Reaction score
So far almost every I take Ehrenberg I have had the state popo pull me over and look for green weed!

I have to unload the back of the truck, pull out the 4 dogs and let the drug sniffing dog run thru my truck .... it’s a real pain in the ass, wife says to go Rice road as it’s way easier and NO Problems not to mention it’s like 45 minutes faster !!!

I gave up on the long route a long time ago!

Rice road is the only way to go!

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I came out yesterday (Monday) from Orange County leaving the house around 11:00am towing my new 5th wheel. The wind was blowing pretty good starting in Palm Desert so I set the cruise control at 60 mph on the 10 and let all the big rigs and typical asshole drivers pass by.

As I approached Rice Road (my normal route to the river) I decided I would go through Ehrenberg considering a vast number of inmates claim it is a preferred route in terms of safety. I have to say that route is worse than Rice Road in certain aspects. Mostly due to the lack of shoulders which were either non-existent or half the width of a full size truck a good portion of that route and quite a few off-camber washes that I wasn't thrilled about with a giant 5th wheel in tow.

I had never taken Ehrenberg before and will say I will never take it again. Sure the traffic was lighter but that road would SUCK to get a flat on. At least Rice Road has a shoulder in most spots (sure its soft but so are the minimal ones through Ehrenberg). I would have came through Quartzsite had I known better. Guess I do now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone take the 62 (I think that’s what it is) out to rice and then turn left?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Rice is like an hour and 20 minutes at a normal speed from the ten to my house in the keys. Ive done it in an hour at 100 plus the whole way. Then I realized 10/20 minutes isn’t worth the stress or the risk. Its so much more relaxing to set the cruise in the high 60’s and let the speeders pass me.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rice is like an hour and 20 minutes at a normal speed from the ten to my house in the keys. Ive done it in an hour at 100 plus the whole way. Then I realized 10/20 minutes isn’t worth the stress or the risk. Its so much more relaxing to set the cruise in the high 60’s and let the speeders pass me.

You could set the cruise at 85 and I’d still pass you like your standing still.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Anyone take the 62 (I think that’s what it is) out to rice and then turn left?
Yeah that's the way we go out to Parker from the high desert, any other way just adds a lot of unnecessary time. CHP patrols the area near the Marine Core base pretty heavily, and are fairly strict on the speeding in that area.

Once you get outside 29 Palms, it's a super easy drive. The dangerous part begins when you hit Rice Road and make the left, that's where 90% of the shitty driving that I see occurs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Yeah that's the way we go out to Parker from the high desert, any other way just adds a lot of unnecessary time. CHP patrols the area near the Marine Core base pretty heavily, and are fairly strict on the speeding in that area.

Once you get outside 29 Palms, it's a super easy drive. The dangerous part begins when you hit Rice Road and make the left, that's where 90% of the shitty driving that I see occurs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

We go that way to Big Bear from Parker.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Hell no.. It takes us a solid 3:30-3:45 from ontario to parker. And thats if i can get away with no bathroom breaks .

You guys must drive slow
It’s 3:30-3:45 from my house in so oc to Parker

You could set the cruise at 85 and I’d still pass you like your standing still.

This is why we are friends lol

Allow me to translate...

Perfect translation

It’s 97 miles from the 10 to the trestle in Parker. My best time is 45 min. I usually cruise between 80-90 and do it just over an hour.

If it’s early in the morning I’ll set the cruise about 100 and let it fly.

IMO the worst section is the last 20 miles from Vidal to Parker with all the trucks bypassing the weigh stations. They should control that

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

We did the same on Saturday. Twice we shouldered the truck avoiding oncoming reckless passing that barely missed the traffic behind us as well.

franky

Reaction score
I love Rice Road.....big, wide, state hiway, love when I get to Desert Center, feel like I’m almost there.

Just never drive it Friday afternoons or Sunday afternoons.

Couple curves, couple bumps, other than that, its a nice straight country hiway. Just don’t drive when all the ass holes are driving.
Agreed, beautiful to stop on a clear night and check out the stars while peeing

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
If I thought most of you would listen, I would not share this advice.

Take the 10 to Intake Blvd in Blythe, hang a left, a few miles past Lost Lake, turn right on Agnes Wilson road. This will take you over the river, and then turn left at the flashing red light, (Mohave Rd) which will bring you back towards Parker. If you want to be really fancy, turn left before the CRIT offices, 2nd avenue I think, it will turn back in to 95 after the Indian Hospital.

If any of you fucktards pass me on a double yellow, I am going to run you off the road, and leave you to rot in the desert.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
You guys must drive slow
It’s 3:30-3:45 from my house in so oc to Parker

This is why we are friends lol

Perfect translation

It’s 97 miles from the 10 to the trestle in Parker. My best time is 45 min. I usually cruise between 80-90 and do it just over an hour.

If it’s early in the morning I’ll set the cruise about 100 and let it fly.

IMO the worst section is the last 20 miles from Vidal to Parker with all the trucks bypassing the weigh stations. They should control that
Slow enough to avoid getting nailed by chp. :D.. Plus we generally leave between 2:30 -3:30..and get the 60 fwy traffic through riverside to moreno vly.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Rice road is like a nascar race, you have to watch the mirrors, if someone is going to pass me and its not safe i just make a slight swerve into other lane they will let off gas for a instance kills their momentum if their towing and have to wait to pass at a safer time. Probably get flipped off but better then dying.