WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So I had to put my dog down yesterday and...

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I just feel guilty as shit for doing it. I try and justify all the humane reasons, 16 years old, deaf, almost blind, back hips out, dementia, pain, not eating for 3 days, etc... but fuck with the dog staring at me and my kids crying next to me, this was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. I was hoping he would pass quietly in the backyard sleeping in his bed but my wife got to the point where she was demanding that I take him to the vet. Damn I am going to miss him, one bad ass weiner dog. 3 confirmed possum kills, killed the neighbors dog, numerous rodent, lizard and bird kills. Just a stone cold killer and a great watch dog. Don't know what I should do now. Try and replace him soon or wait for everyone to get over their grief period. What a way to end Chirstmas. :rolleyes

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Such a hard decision but when you make it, you do it for the right reasons so don't second guess yourself.
Sorry for the loss.

Thanks, yes it was and it makes me wonder if I want to get another dog again who becomes part of the family and then the same end comes someday

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Sorry, man.
I know your pain, lost one in October. I took it pretty hard. Maybe taking it hard is a better description, I miss her every day.

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. No animal should suffer extended not fixable pain.

So grieve, cry, scream, whatever. My daughter hit the punching bag quite a bit after. Just let it out.

Only you will know when you're ready to start a new journey with another dog.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We just put our little wiener dog dog down last week she was 18 and had most of the same problems yours did , we called her " Little girl " wife was a mess for a week after , we buried her under the apple trees out in the pasture :( it gets a little better with time ;)

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry, man.
I know your pain, lost one in October. I took it pretty hard. Maybe taking it hard is a better description, I miss her every day.

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. No animal should suffer extended not fixable pain.

So grieve, cry, scream, whatever. My daughter hit the punching bag quite a bit after. Just let it out.

Only you will know when you're ready to start a new journey with another dog.

Sorry for your loss, man it is tough and going to be on my mind for a long time I think

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
We just put our little wiener dog dog down last week she was 18 and had most of the same problems yours did , we called her " Little girl " wife was a mess for a week after , we buried her under the apple trees out in the pasture :( it gets a little better with time ;)

Wow, 18 that is a long time. Thats nice you kept her in her yard. I went the cremation route so my oldest (his best friend) could have the ashes.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got to enjoy him for 16 years. Everyone is different in how long they wait to get another dog. After we lost our Golden to cancer, I knew I needed another quickly because I was depressed and really angry... quickly going down a very bad road and I definitely needed something to distract me and bring back the happiness.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Seems like this comes up here far too often. I always say the same thing. . .It just sucks. Period. For some getting another dog right away is the way to go, for others not. Our dogs can become very important members of our families. Seem like each are different. I feel trying to replace them with a duplicate just isn't possible. But, getting another dog and enjoying them, in some cases, probably is.

charlyox

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest things to do. I had to do it twice a year apart. I wasn't going to get another dog for a while but about 3 weeks later I got two new puppies. I hated coming home to an empty house. Here are my dogs. IMG_9163.jpg IMG_5409.jpg

milkmoney

Reaction score
Sorry to read. You got 16 good years.
[emoji202]

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got to enjoy him for 16 years. Everyone is different in how long they wait to get another dog. After we lost our Golden to cancer, I knew I needed another quickly because I was depressed and really angry... quickly going down a very bad road and I definitely needed something to distract me and bring back the happiness.

Funny how they can make bad days better just by being your loyal friend and they work for biscuits.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest things to do. I had to do it twice a year apart. I wasn't going to get another dog for a while but about 3 weeks later I got two new puppies. I hated coming home to an empty house. Here are my dogs. View attachment 528791 View attachment 528792

Thats an interesting mix of companions. Both really nice looking dogs.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Seems like this comes up here far too often. I always say the same thing. . .It just sucks. Period. For some getting another dog right away is the way to go, for others not. Our dogs can become very important members of our families. Seem like each are different. I feel trying to replace them with a duplicate just isn't possible. But, getting another dog and enjoying them, in some cases, probably is.

Yes, as much as a like weiner dogs, I think getting another one I would always be comparing him to the one I lost and so would the kids. If we do get another dog, will probably try a different breed but similar size.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry to read. You got 16 good years.
[emoji202]

Thanks yes we did and so did the god. I think he really enjoyed his life. What is so interesting is his sister dog from the same litter had to be put down last week. She was also 16 so brother and sister died a week apart. It was almost as if my dog knew this somehow and lost the will to live.

Victory32

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. I've heard the reason dogs don't live as long as humans is because they are born with unassuming love, it takes us much longer to learn.....

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Sucks to have to do... When the time is right... You'll get another.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. I've heard the reason dogs don't live as long as humans is because they are born with unassuming love, it takes us much longer to learn.....

I have not heard that but think it is so true. They do have unconditional love even if you discipline them for something they did.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Yes, as much as a like weiner dogs, I think getting another one I would always be comparing him to the one I lost and so would the kids. If we do get another dog, will probably try a different breed but similar size.

Sorry for your loss. No matter what breed of dog you get you will always be comparing it to your previous pet so if a wiener dog has suited your family you should just get another. We are on our second Dachshund and yes there is some comparing but it is also a way of remembering your friend that has passed on.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
it's a tough thing to do, and you will feel guilty even though it was the right decision. I went through this in January, we had a 14 year old Pug that just went down hill fast, we knew he was on his last days. I spent the day with him, and was driving him to the vet that night to put him down. He passed away on the way to vet. I've never felt pain like that ever before, they become part of the family. We thought we would replace him, so In July we got another Pug puppy, but he just isn't the same. I hope we grow to love this new guy like our old Pug, but only time will tell. It's amazing how the personality of that dog touched so many people. Sounds messed up, but if I could save that dog by killing a family member, my brother would have a shell in his head by now.

Hopefully my sister was standing next to him in the line of fire.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. No matter what breed of dog you get you will always be comparing it to your previous pet so if a wiener dog has suited your family you should just get another. We are on our second Dachshund and yes there is some comparing but it is also a way of remembering your friend that has passed on.

That is a nice way to think about it.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
it's a tough thing to do, and you will feel guilty even though it was the right decision. I went through this in January, we had a 14 year old Pug that just went down hill fast, we knew he was on his last days. I spent the day with him, and was driving him to the vet that night to put him down. He passed away on the way to vet. I've never felt pain like that ever before, they become part of the family. We thought we would replace him, so In July we got another Pug puppy, but he just isn't the same. I hope we grow to love this new guy like our old Pug, but only time will tell. It's amazing how the personality of that dog touched so many people. Sounds messed up, but if I could save that dog by killing a family member, my brother would have a shell in his head by now.

Hopefully my sister was standing next to him in the line of fire.

I actually wish mine could have passed away in the car like that or at home instead. Sounds like you have some strong family issues right now and I know I have had issues with my brother before. I feel so much better now that I have forgiven him for what he did and allowed the hate in my heart to go away. Life is to short and if you cut your family out you are going to miss out on so much that can never be replaced. Good luck to you, Christmas is a peaceful time and a healing time.

92 cole

Reaction score
Anybody and everybody can Understand. But for you, understand that when the quality of life is gone domesticated animals rely on owners to do the right thing. AS YOU DID. Animals suffer and know when the party is over and if they could would thank you for doing the right thing. Time heals and it will. then get another pet.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am really sorry for your loss. We had dogs all growing up and while I liked them, I was never really attached to one. Later in life I got my pitbull mix Neva. I was with her damn near everyday from when she was a puppy right up until the day I put her down. I'm getting teary eyed even typing about it. I loved that dog like one of my kids. To be honest I'll never get attached to a dog again like that.. I love my current dog, but I keep it at the "It's a dog" level.

I rushed out and go another dog to fill the hole in my heart. Sasha has been a great dog, and virtually drama free (except for the shedding). She watches over my kids like a nanny, and is just an all around pleasure to be around for us. Seems like yesterday I just got her.. But now she's already getting up there in age, and I'm noticing the occasional "limp" when she gets up etc.. I'm already dreading it.

You have my condolences

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I am really sorry for your loss. We had dogs all growing up and while I liked them, I was never really attached to one. Later in life I got my pitbull mix Neva. I was with her damn near everyday from when she was a puppy right up until the day I put her down. I'm getting teary eyed even typing about it. I loved that dog like one of my kids. To be honest I'll never get attached to a dog again like that.. I love my current dog, but I keep it at the "It's a dog" level.

I rushed out and go another dog to fill the hole in my heart. Sasha has been a great dog, and virtually drama free (except for the shedding). She watches over my kids like a nanny, and is just an all around pleasure to be around for us. Seems like yesterday I just got her.. But now she's already getting up there in age, and I'm noticing the occasional "limp" when she gets up etc.. I'm already dreading it.

You have my condolences

Thank you and I have much the same history with dogs growing up. Something about this one just made him so much a part of the family and I don't think I could (or want to be) as attached as I was to this one. I am really concerned mostly for my kids and helping them get through this life event which is why I do not know if getting another dog sooner or later would be better or not getting one at all. Guess time and family will give me direction at some point. Hopefully your current dog wil still have many more trouble free years being part of your family.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear, it just sucks. My Lab of 11 years got sick last Xmas Eve and eventually died on March 14 in my arms. His birthday is 12/26 so this was not a fun Xmas.

Reaction score
sorry for your loss. took me 2 yrs before I got another dog (actually 2 dogs)

and RD not sure if this the case with you, but when you find yourself the protector of the dog instead of the dog protecting you & then it dies on you. I had a husky/Wolf, the husky in him sweet but the wolf in him was a freaking savage. I protected that dog from himself.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Wow, 18 that is a long time. Thats nice you kept her in her yard. I went the cremation route so my oldest (his best friend) could have the ashes.

we did that with our others that have passed away , but the wife was wanting it this way this time , damn ground was frozen but i got it done :(

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
The hardest thing I've ever done, and I miss her daily.... First Christmas without her in 17 years...

It doesn't get easier, but take your time before making any decisions, and if you do decide to get another dog, check the shelters I have 2 rescues and they are the best.

Sorry for your loss... I hate these threads

cole_skier

Reaction score
We had to do the same thing just recently. Our little wiener dog was 15. Hardest thing I have had to do in a long time. We still miss her everyday. We are in the same place, do we get another or wait awhile to let the pain settle. They are the most loyal and loving pups you could ever have.

Your story sounds just like ours.[emoji17]

Andy B.

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss................................

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
The hardest thing I've ever done, and I miss her daily.... First Christmas without her in 17 years...

It doesn't get easier, but take your time before making any decisions, and if you do decide to get another dog, check the shelters I have 2 rescues and they are the best.

Sorry for your loss... I hate these threads

Sorry for your loss as well but nice of you to save 2 from the shelter and give them a home :thumbup:

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
We had to do the same thing just recently. Our little wiener dog was 15. Hardest thing I have had to do in a long time. We still miss her everyday. We are in the same place, do we get another or wait awhile to let the pain settle. They are the most loyal and loving pups you could ever have.

Your story sounds just like ours.[emoji17]

Isn't that the truth, so devoted. I had a black and tan one but he was black and gray at the end.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear this. That has to be a tough decision. Both of my dogs that have passed over the years were old, but no physical problems. Came home and and they had passed while we were away from the home, so I have never had to make that decision (I guess I am lucky in that respect). It sounds like you made the best decision for the circumstances. :(

buck35

Reaction score
My sis and bil had to put theirs down last year at 18, we have large rescue dogs that live less than10 years in general, so been down this road too many times. The last was going to be the last, LOL! Get a new guy or gal when you're ready, or the right one falls in y
our lap. At any rate, sorry for the loss, but a new pup or rescue is a new adventure!

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
Man another dog thread and please don't take that the wrong way. This year I put my eleven year old boxer down, my five year old Chihuahua passed on the operating table (way to early) and I also lost my 88 year old mother in October. Dogs are like family to me and it's really difficult to recover from.
I'm so sorry you're family is going through This!!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Sad way to end the holidays. Unless you are a dog person you can't understand the loss. The hurt was so bad when I lost my Rot, I haven't been able to replace him. Do what your heart tells you to do when it comes to finding a new path in life.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. When losing my mama lab few years ago... It's like family. Her son is getting of age and his time is short. I really feel for your loss, they are part of us.

waterboy

PONTOON MEMBER
Reaction score
I lost my golden retriever year and a1/2 ago after 12 years, finally getting ready to do it again, going Friday to get our new pup👍, Sorry for your loss

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss it's tough I mean it's just a dog right, I think not it's a family member. I had to do the same thing with my golden retriever a year and a half ago my wife had picked up a new puppy six weeks before, the unfortunate thing is that I was not ready for a new dog the first 9 months were rough for the dog and myself, I went from a perfect dog to a train wreck. I didn't give the pup a chance I was unfair with my expectations of her, she is a great dog now and getting better. When you are ready for a new pup remember it's not perfect yet. I feel bad with how I treated her but I realized I was wrong and I fixed myself. Pictures of my golden looking over my daughter and of the new pup.

Attachments

• 20161227_183438.jpg
    20161227_183438.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20161218_205301.jpg
    20161218_205301.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 47

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
sorry for your loss man, but 16 years is a darn good doggie lifespan. glad he lived well with you and your family.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and sharing your wonderful pet stories with your furry family members. This shit is going to bother me for quite awhile I feel. 16 years I have been coming home from work and just like to sit down for a few minutes on the back patio and unwind from the day and my dog was right there to greet me like it was the best day in the world for him. I would pet him and just feel the stress of the work day go away. Now I feel like I let my best friend down when he needed me most. Looking at his face as he took his last breath bothers me tremendously right now. I wish he could have just passed peacefully while sleeping in his bed at home in his yard. Things would be so much easier now to rationalize. I have a feeling it will be a long time before I am ready to consider another dog at this point.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words. :thumbup:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your weenie dogs. We had to put one of ours down when she was 6 years old due to her back and being paralyzed. We waited about 6 months to get another one only becuase the older one we had was lonely.

I just feel guilty as shit for doing it. I try and justify all the humane reasons, 16 years old, deaf, almost blind, back hips out, dementia, pain, not eating for 3 days, etc... but fuck with the dog staring at me and my kids crying next to me, this was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. I was hoping he would pass quietly in the backyard sleeping in his bed but my wife got to the point where she was demanding that I take him to the vet. Damn I am going to miss him, one bad ass weiner dog. 3 confirmed possum kills, killed the neighbors dog, numerous rodent, lizard and bird kills. Just a stone cold killer and a great watch dog. Don't know what I should do now. Try and replace him soon or wait for everyone to get over their grief period. What a way to end Chirstmas. :rolleyes

milkmoney

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and sharing your wonderful pet stories with your furry family members. This shit is going to bother me for quite awhile I feel. 16 years I have been coming home from work and just like to sit down for a few minutes on the back patio and unwind from the day and my dog was right there to greet me like it was the best day in the world for him. I would pet him and just feel the stress of the work day go away. Now I feel like I let my best friend down when he needed me most. Looking at his face as he took his last breath bothers me tremendously right now. I wish he could have just passed peacefully while sleeping in his bed at home in his yard. Things would be so much easier now to rationalize. I have a feeling it will be a long time before I am ready to consider another dog at this point.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words. :thumbup:

Time heels all wounds. [emoji202]

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

Really sorry to hear and I feel you. Put my boxer down in July and he was 6. Don't feel guilty or second guess yourself...you did what was best for your dog.

I always said I would get another right away but living at the beach with two under 2 my wife said not until we move. Riverbound's mom put her boxer down and within a week had a new puppy. You have to play it by ear. I so badly want another dog to keep my female company but I have to wait.

Good luck with your decision...you will do what is right for you.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
sad:(

My Boston is getting close to 12 and I dread the day. she has been an amazing dog and is now blind in her left eye and I fear the right one will go shortly. she is still really healthy and active but it saddens me that she will be blind considering how athletic and active she has always been. Honestly I think it will be harder on me than her. :(:(

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss it's tough I mean it's just a dog right, I think not it's a family member. I had to do the same thing with my golden retriever a year and a half ago my wife had picked up a new puppy six weeks before, the unfortunate thing is that I was not ready for a new dog the first 9 months were rough for the dog and myself, I went from a perfect dog to a train wreck. I didn't give the pup a chance I was unfair with my expectations of her, she is a great dog now and getting better. When you are ready for a new pup remember it's not perfect yet. I feel bad with how I treated her but I realized I was wrong and I fixed myself. Pictures of my golden looking over my daughter and of the new pup.

Don't beat yourself up over it... You were grieving it happens, your pup I am sure kept trying, and she knew you were hurting. But look at you guys now, and I bet shortly the 2 of you will be attached, she knows you need it.

I have 3 small dogs I've had them all for a few years so they've had time with my precious sky, and like a mama bear that she is she took them all in and under her wing for the few years she had left. She was happy. After I put her down I felt like I was distancing myself from my little ones, but I think they felt like something was wrong and they tried harder to comfort me. I realized what I was doing and obviously made sure to stop that right away as they are amazing little guys.

Mrs.HLB

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. I hate these threads. Crying at work is not good. We had to put our German Shepherd down at 10. The next day my husband found a rescue with GS puppies. I thought it was too soon, but he couldn't deal with my crying and wanted me happy. So I went to see them and left. 3 days later after thinking about them all day & night, picking out names. I was ready and we got 2 sisters. I am so happy I got them. They don't replace Nakita but they sure make me happy. When you are all ready it will just happen.