WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So I put a deposit down on a new smoker

sintax

Reaction score
I’m in the 30’s. I’m guessing there will be some news coming soon as to where they gonna have the plant at they seemed to be antsy to get info as to where the smokers were going to be shipped too.

Yea they were dropping hints that the factory was going to be out of state. Which makes sense, who in their right mind would open any business in CA in todays climate.

I’m gonna be a bit pissed if they try and get me another 4-500 for shipping. A big reason I went with them was local pickup. I’m hoping they do truck them in on their dime for a local pickup.

sintax

Reaction score
I senses a "speed" joke in here somewhere.

Oh it’s been mid-speed for a while (ok, not that bad..)

The original proposed timeline was very late 2022 or early 23. It’s just a long time for a hunk of metal. But in their defense it sounds like they’re setting up a serious factory in Tx to support the work.

Last edited:

kevin1988

Reaction score
Any updates? Curious how you like it. Mad Scientist BBQ speaks highly of Fat Stack.

sintax

Reaction score
Any updates? Curious how you like it. Mad Scientist BBQ speaks highly of Fat Stack.

wish I could give you a review.... but I'm still in the waiting stage.

There has only been 1-2 shipments so far, but rumor has it mines going out this week. I'll believe it when i see it (and pick it up).

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
wish I could give you a review.... but I'm still in the waiting stage.

There has only been 1-2 shipments so far, but rumor has it mines going out this week. I'll believe it when i see it (and pick it up).

I have a buddy that went and picked his up last week. It made me think of this thread but I hadnt had time to look it up to see if it was the same maker, it is! Im surprised you have waited this long, hopefully your wait is over soon

DLC

Reaction score
Honest question -

You have been waiting almost 2 years for a Smoker?
9/10/ 21 thread started…

I sure hope you get it in the next couple weeks!

We are going to need Extensive Feed back on your new bad boy….

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
now im curious where my buddy picked his up from? He lives in Santa Paula and I swore he said he went down to LA??????

sintax

Reaction score
Honest question -

9/10/ 21 thread started…

haha yea, one of those things I guess. For the first year they only had $500 of my money though as a deposit.

I went into it knowing it was going to be 1 - 1.5 yrs wait. They did a pre-order where I was able to get it for roughly 1/2 price. I'll still have to cover shipping from from Houston > SoCal. They've been loading a semi and shipping to BBQHq in semi valley. So when it shows, i'll just drag a trailer down there and pick it up.

I have 3 other smokers, so i'm not short on tools, but I am looking at getting this sucker home.

now im curious where my buddy picked his up from? He lives in Santa Paula and I swore he said he went down to LA??????

So there was a few options on this, if your bud paid extra (i think it was ~$1000 or so), he could have gotten one done on their "Custom Line". These were built out of their Sun Valley (LA SGV area) facility, before they set up shop in Texas.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Honest question -

9/10/ 21 thread started…

The Speed car of smokers.😳

4Waters

Reaction score
haha yea, one of those things I guess. For the first year they only had $500 of my money though as a deposit.

I went into it knowing it was going to be 1 - 1.5 yrs wait. They did a pre-order where I was able to get it for roughly 1/2 price. I'll still have to cover shipping from from Houston > SoCal. They've been loading a semi and shipping to BBQHq in semi valley. So when it shows, i'll just drag a trailer down there and pick it up.

I have 3 other smokers, so i'm not short on tools, but I am looking at getting this sucker home.

So there was a few options on this, if your bud paid extra (i think it was ~$1000 or so), he could have gotten one done on their "Custom Line". These were built out of their Sun Valley (LA SGV area) facility, before they set up shop in Texas.
I can throw a rock at BBQHQ from my house

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I did my digging and he did go to Simi to get his. Hopefully yours is close 🤞🤞

FishSniper

Reaction score

Hoping yours shows up soon I think I’m in the next batch or so.

sintax

Reaction score
Hoping yours shows up soon I think I’m in the next batch or so.

Nothing but crickets this week. Was really expecting the “she’s left the building” call but nothing!!!

Thankfully I have 8 billion distractions right now or I’d be kinda bent

DLC

Reaction score
What’s on the Menu when it arrives and gets a nice burn on

sintax

Reaction score
found out my smoker got bumped as they couldnt fit it on the truck, so i'm apparently bumped to the next shipment.

I wont go into details, but Eric is making it worth the headache.

4Waters

Reaction score
found out my smoker got bumped as they couldnt fit it on the truck, so i'm apparently bumped to the next shipment.

I wont go into details, but Eric is making it worth the headache.
You get this yet

Foscheck

Reaction score
Nope!

It had them hold it for 3 weeks. Out on a Harley trip currently. It should be in Semi the week I get back.
Fatstack was a serious consideration when I was shopping around. I ended up with a reverse flow from JH Smokers in So Cal. Oddly enough, JH and Fatstack both moved to Texas about the same time. Been learning on this sexy thing.

Attachments

• 20220528_150947.jpg
    20220528_150947.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 53

DLC

Reaction score
Can you walk us thru it once you get it up and going?

what wood do you use where do you get it ?
How much wood does it take to burn for 6 hours ?
etc
etc

sintax

Reaction score
That looks sweet!

have you burned it yet? We need to see that baby pukin some smoke and cooking ribs and pork

It’s so funny, I was kicking myself for not having a legit stockpile of wood by now. I don’t know wtf I was thinking, it’s not like I haven’t had ample time to get my shit together.

I’m gonna head down this week and grab a 1/4 cord of oak and get that done though!

I’m going to clean it really well, get a hot fire going and coat it with some oil to get the finish rocking.

I got suckered into heading to the river this weekend so I might not get time for a real cook until the following, but I’m definitely pumped

sintax

Reaction score
Good to see you got yours. I thought mine was supposed to be in the batch that finished last week but I haven’t heard anything from them.

yea, so talking to one the kids at bbqhq they mentioned they think they're behind. I dont think you were that far behind me on the list, maybe 3-4 days, but they could have had quite a few orders in those early days. Do you remember what your number was?

If I had to guess, the bulk shipments kind of throw a wrench in the works. Since they're trying to save people money on shipping buy doing full truck loads, i think list and order is kinda out of whack I bet.

In the end i cant complain too much, I sure as hell couldn't drive my truck out to Houston and grab it for less than the $250 they charged me. It prob would have been $600+ in fuel, food, and a hotel, not to mention the lost 3 days.

sintax

Reaction score
First cook under its belt this morning, and say things went pretty darn well for never running an offset. I am pretty used to running a camp fire though, and a lot of the methodology transfers.

Things learned….

Coal bed is your friend, keep it happy
The fire needs WAY more air than you think
Don’t wander away…
12” x wrist size splits work best, so far

I tossed a rack of St Luis ribs on there for fun, they came out pretty decently. I’ve certainly done way way worse.

D7629E50-D69D-40E6-9A81-011A997AE97B.jpeg

EA63AC95-139F-4B5D-8C41-F6E37E41FEF4.jpeg

63021A95-98E1-4589-8883-B42E15A2245B.jpeg

TimeBandit

Reaction score
First cook under its belt this morning, and say things went pretty darn well for never running an offset. I am pretty used to running a camp fire though, and a lot of the methodology transfers.

Things learned….

Coal bed is your friend, keep it happy
The fire needs WAY more air than you think
Don’t wander away…
12” x wrist size splits work best, so far

I tossed a rack of St Luis ribs on there for fun, they came out pretty decently. I’ve certainly done way way worse.

View attachment 1273011

View attachment 1273012

View attachment 1273013
Looks good, where did you get wood? What are you using??

sintax

Reaction score
Looks good, where did you get wood? What are you using??

Haha so about the wood, you’d think I would have had a killer stockpile of cheap wood during the 2 year wait… not exactly.

So I ended up going to the Woodshed in orange. I’ve bought chunks from them for years. The gals there hooked me up with 1/4 cord of white oak. It’s about $40 more than I’d expect, but I didn’t have to drive out of my way.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The pre buy was way to go. Just looked on there site $5000 now. Took a while but for $2500 worth it.

sintax

Reaction score
The pre buy was way to go. Just looked on there site $5000 now. Took a while but for $2500 worth it.

yea... I'm feeling that for sure.

I think its worth every penny at $2500, hell on steel prices alone, they damn things close to 800 lbs. IF I was going to do it over, and had to buy something today, i'd prob go with a different unit. Workhorse pits is a good bit cheaper, and they seem very well built.

https://www.workhorsepits.com/product-page/1957 <=- I think thats a 24" diameter cook chamber, and if so, thats what i'd go with. I think its smaller than the one I got, but, but prob not a HUGE deal for the backyard guy.

sintax

Reaction score
At 800ish lbs how the hell did you move it around?
You shoulda called me, hell I could walk over there faster than it would take to warm up a bike and ride over🤷‍♂️

I used a cherry picker. I strapped it up under the belly of the smoker, got it a couple of inches above the bed on the trailer and then just drove the trailer out from under it. Def one of those "smarter not harder" scenarios.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Smoker arrived yesterday had to LTL it to the house as there were no more shipments to Simi. Was interesting getting it unloaded but it all worked out. If the smoker is built anything like the crate they built for it to ship in I think I’ll be very happy.
23EA536F-0F4A-4A30-81BA-3BE4B4D3A604.jpeg

Timo

Reaction score
I’m a newbie. February 2024 was my 90 gallon delivery date. Was is the key word.

sintax

Reaction score
I’m a newbie. February 2024 was my 90 gallon delivery date. Was is the key word.

Yea, we’re certainly used to waiting, I hope they start cranking them out again soon for you guys!

You get yours fired up yet @FishSniper ??

FishSniper

Reaction score
Yea, we’re certainly used to waiting, I hope they start cranking them out again soon for you guys!

You get yours fired up yet @FishSniper ??
Haven’t fired it up yet work got in the way this weekend and will be in Havasu next weekend so a couple weeks away from getting it going.

bedubs

Reaction score
Hello all. I just joined as I saw this thread through a google search. Like some of the folks here, I too ordered one of these smokers back in Nov 2021 but it seems like they might be going under. I just got off the phone with my CC company to refund the payment. After waiting almost 2 years then when I saw this post
I decided it was time to find a pit elsewhere.

I hope that those of you that received your pit have a great time with it. For me, if anyone has suggestions on a good 90-250 offset please let me know.

4Waters

Reaction score
Hello all. I just joined as I saw this thread through a google search. Like some of the folks here, I too ordered one of these smokers back in Nov 2021 but it seems like they might be going under. I just got off the phone with my CC company to refund the payment. After waiting almost 2 years then when I saw this post
I decided it was time to find a pit elsewhere.

I hope that those of you that received your pit have a great time with it. For me, if anyone has suggestions on a good 90-250 offset please let me know.
Talk to the guys at BBQHQ