WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So I swear to much....Basically an ultimatum

JD D05

Reaction score
My brother just moved back from Tenn with his fiance. And for the next few weeks we are all actually living together while my families home is being finished. His fiance is awesome and I love my bro as much as anyone. BUT I have just been told that I basically need to stop swearing because it offends his fiance. Like he/you can't be around my future kids etc. I know it is a big problem for my brother to even bring it up.

I do swear, and I do it in front my kids. I have always said BS justification or not I am going to be me. My kids can choose to do it or not, I am flawed and I am not afraid of them seeing that, I even tell them that. I HATE being told you need to change or else, my EGO gets real twitchy.

I understand the big picture here, why would I swear if it can cause issues with family. But i am pissed off about it also...So I'm not good enough huh stuff ( I know that's an over reaction). She does not even know me really though. She has no real understanding of how important family is to me and all the history my family of me and my actions. It is just 2 days in he needs to stop swearing.

I know this will get all kinds of responses...So fire away.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Stop Fucking cussing you dickwad jackass:p:D:D:D:D
I'm jesting of course but at the same time I'm not. Man up.:cool:
Kids shouldn't here the stuff either since they tend to repeat it in the most inappropriate moments.
This video always comes to mind when I hear kids swearing.:(

DLC

Reaction score
We don’t have kids but when I’m around say my brothers kids I accidentally drop an F bomb or a S bomb I’m like oops..... that wasn’t good!!!!

JD D05

Reaction score
We don’t have kids but when I’m around say my brothers kids I accidentally drop an F bomb or a S bomb I’m like oops..... that wasn’t good!!!!

You have probably never heard a parent say this but I really don't worry about my kids hearing it. I don't know why I just don't.

JD D05

Reaction score
Kids shouldn't here the stuff either since they tend to repeat it in the most inappropriate moments.

I like to though. I was actually warned about this a few months ago and totally forgot about it. I sent the family a video on Sunday of me swearing a lot lol. I will post it on here if I can.

Hullbilly

Reaction score
My brother just moved back from Tenn with his fiance. And for the next few weeks we are all actually living together while my families home is being finished. His fiance is awesome and I love my bro as much as anyone. BUT I have just been told that I basically need to stop swearing because it offends his fiance. Like he/you can't be around my future kids etc. I know it is a big problem for my brother to even bring it up.

I do swear, and I do it in front my kids. I have always said BS justification or not I am going to be me. My kids can choose to do it or not, I am flawed and I am not afraid of them seeing that, I even tell them that. I HATE being told you need to change or else, my EGO gets real twitchy.

I understand the big picture here, why would I swear if it can cause issues with family. But i am pissed off about it also...So I'm not good enough huh stuff ( I know that's an over reaction). She does not even know me really though. She has no real understanding of how important family is to me and all the history my family of me and my actions. It is just 2 days in he needs to stop swearing.

Yore fucking house, yoore fucking rules....their house their rules. Its that simple.:eek:

JD D05

Reaction score
Yore fucking house, yoore fucking rules....their house their rules. Its that simple.

We are all at my parents place right now. We are building a home as we speak.

JD D05

Reaction score
This video always comes to mind when I hear kids swearing.:(

In my defense this guy was using the wash for 19 min.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I kind of compare it to smoking. It's perfectly okay for people to make their own choices about whether they smoke or swear but I think it's respectful to consider when it offends somebody else because it's done in their presence. Yeah, yeah free speech yada yada but I'm saying if somebody is offended then just be respectful of where they are coming from. It's okay to have differences of opinion on the matter. It doesn't seem like and hopefully they're (she's) not saying you're a horrible person because you swear, that is being judgmental and then it would be reasonable for you to be offended. But when they're just saying that they'd prefer it not be language used around them but they're not critiquing your character then yeah man up and honor their request to the best of your ability, acknowledging that you won't always be a perfect non-swearer around them but you'll try. Again, hopefully they're not judging you but just asking you to not say it around them. I will say, props to them for bringing it up in the first place. Sounds like your bro was trying to be respectful and your post here alone is a sign that you're taking it seriously and that shows your respect for them. Keep the love alive and with only 2 days into the togetherness don't let this be the hill you're going to die on.

hallett21

Reaction score
I wasn’t even allowed to say sucks as a kid lol.

I was told it showed lack of intelligence when you swore because you couldn’t find another word.

Funny though my dad on job sites seem to have “moments” when subs weren’t following through lol. To his credit he may have only sworn in front of my brother and I a handful of times.

I’m always conscientious about swearing in front of women and children. Job sites are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD D05

Reaction score
I kind of compare it to smoking. It's perfectly okay for people to make their own choices about whether they smoke or swear but I think it's respectful to consider when it offends somebody else because it's done in their presence. Yeah, yeah free speech yada yada but I'm saying if somebody is offended then just be respectful of where they are coming from. It's okay to have differences of opinion on the matter. It doesn't seem like and hopefully they're (she's) not saying you're a horrible person because you swear, that is being judgmental and then it would be reasonable for you to be offended. But when they're just saying that they'd prefer it not be language used around them but they're not critiquing your character then yeah man up and honor their request to the best of your ability, acknowledging that you won't always be a perfect non-swearer around them but you'll try. Again, hopefully they're not judging you but just asking you to not say it around them. I will say, props to them for bringing it up in the first place. Sounds like your bro was trying to be respectful and your post here alone is a sign that you're taking it seriously and that shows your respect for them. Keep the love alive and with only 2 days into the togetherness don't let this be the hill you're going to die on.

Excellent post, thank you. Here is my approach and things like this....I happen to have a trigger right now and it is people offended by words. All the PC BS and the hypocrisy of the N word etc etc on and on. I believe people that allow words to affect them are weak. I know this is different but it is poking trigger I have.

JD D05

Reaction score
I got 5 grand kids and a 4 bedroom house I tell em if you don't fucking like it go find a room or get the fuck out side you little shit heads. lol

I have a huge smile on my face because I do the exact same thing.

JD D05

Reaction score
Wait, don't you live in Utah? Isn't swearing illegal there?

I heard you can only legally swear on days that there's no background checks on firearm purchases.

Yes I do. It probably is hahahahaha. My liberal mormon brother in law asked "do you think Utah has the fewest Starbucks" I said I fucking hope so.

JD D05

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't compute, did you say liberal mormon?

Yep! I know brain aneurysm potential trying to understand. Scream at the sky I hate Trump, left wing fanatic Mormon.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I'm just like you...horrible mouth to where sometimes I don't even realize I was swearing. I have no advice as I am in the same boat yet I have never had a ultimatum about it. My wife will just say hey watch it we are at...I have not been very successful...probably because I lack the intelligence to think of another word...lol

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Have you seen a hypnotist about your problem?

Haha, just kidding. My kids come home from elementary school with more colorful language than I remember knowing at 15. I do cuss around my kids...but not at them. I am not going to make my friends sensor themselves around my kids when I know they hear just as bad at school. They know I don’t want them cussing, and they know what right and wrong is.

I do think there are times when it’s disrespectful to cuss, obviously. I’m not sure about this situation. I think I would be irritated. Now, if your mom or dad asked, ok.

JD D05

Reaction score
I'm just like you...horrible mouth to where sometimes I don't even realize I was swearing. I have no advice as I am in the same boat yet I have never had a ultimatum about it. My wife will just say hey watch it we are at...I have not been very successful...probably because I lack the intelligence to think of another word...lol

Ya I am there, I can not swear but in environments that I never have, which is always work related.

JD D05

Reaction score
Have you seen a hypnotist about your problem?

Haha, just kidding. My kids come home from elementary school with more colorful language than I remember knowing at 15. I do cuss around my kids...but not at them. I am not going to make my friends sensor themselves around my kids when I know they hear just as bad at school. They know I don’t want them cussing, and they know what right and wrong is.

I do think there are times when it’s disrespectful to cuss, obviously. I’m not sure about this situation. I think I would be irritated. Now, if your mom or dad asked, ok.

Damn I swear at my kids to. I call them shit apples.

JD D05

Reaction score
I have always found the F word to be the most versatile word in my vocabulary..

That said now that my kids are getting older it is something I'm working on and toning down. Especially for business etc..

RD

Metoo! So I said that when I had a son 2 years ago, both my girls refuse to swear. But the little man I know will be way different. My wife never swears.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have 3 kids. I drop F bombs left and right. It’s a bad habit I picked up at a young age.
When I hear people drop the F bomb excessively they come off as dumb to be honest.
Hypocritical of me because I do the same thing....

I need to do better bottom line.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
If my brother came at me like this he would never hear the end of then ridicule. You know, get yore balls outta yore wife's purse. Etc.

Do they have kids? Don’t want you swearing in front of their little heathens? That’s reasonable

JD D05

Reaction score
If my brother came at me like this he would never hear the end of then ridicule. You know, get yore balls outta yore wife's purse. Etc.

Do they have kids? Don’t want you swearing in front of their little heathens? That’s reasonable

Ya there are some things I can tease my bro about but this isn't one of them.

No kids yet, but that was mentioned when they do. He actually has not spoken directly to me about this, he talked to my dad and my dad talked to me. I am sure he will though, he isn't a not talk direct to the problem type.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Since you have been doing it for a long time probably be a hard habit to break, and it sounds like even though you know its rude you dont want to quit. Your also teaching your kids that its ok and as they will most likely do the same. Surely not something to be proud of.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
You guys have a strange brother relationship? Most brothers call each other fag and kick each other in the nuts at every opportunity. Its in the rules I guess

We won’t get into how he won’t man up and come talk to you about his issue. His balls being in his wife's purse. ;)

If a family member came to me with an issue and we talk about it face to face then I would try to help just out of respect. Even If I didn’t agree.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I think cussing around the kids is no good.

Me and my wife are not saints by any means, but we definitely watch it around the kids.

Our friends that camp with us all the time... have horrible mouths, and they have one little one. I catch myself having to check them a lot to just watch it around the kids. I don't mind at all when some words slip by.. whatever, but when you drop 5 f-bombs and in a 12 word sentence... it is pretty ridiculous. It gets to the point where I think they need to expand their vocabulary, because it makes them sound dumb as shit lol.

when the kids are sleeping and the adults are around the camp fire, I can care less.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Wait up...

They don't have kids? It's just her that's being offended??

welldigger00

Reaction score
I am third generation general contractor/business owner. My mom ran my dads companies. She was the hatchet man,as my dad didn’t have the balls to do so. She has a mouth that would make a trucker blush. My wife runs my company. My wife was scared to death of my mom for years. But now she is as bad as my mom! She puts on this cow girl sexy voice when talking to new clients, But when you owe her money, she’s like joe pechi about to put your head in a vice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLT Kota

Reaction score
I look at it this way, 90% of people don't really care but it really bothers the other 10% enough that they won't be around you.

JD D05

Reaction score
I look at it this way, 90% of people don't really care but it really bothers the other 10% enough that they won't be around you.

I don't trust that 10%. :D But I don't trust anyone until they give me a reason to.

JD D05

Reaction score
You guys have a strange brother relationship? Most brothers call each other fag and kick each other in the nuts at every opportunity. Its in the rules I guess

We won’t get into how he won’t man up and come take to you about his issue. his balls being in his wifes purse. ;)

If a family member came to me with an issue and talk about it face to face I would try to help just out of respect. Even I didn’t agree.

Oh we for sure do all of that. For him to even say this and admit it has to be really hard because he swore just like me.

JD D05

Reaction score
Since you have been doing it for a long time probably be a hard habit to break, and it sounds like even though you know its rude you dont want to quit. Your also teaching your kids that its ok and as they will most likely do the same. Surely not something to be proud of.

You don't need to worry about my kids. They are both honor role, very well behaved, very successful athletes, and read a book every week. And if they tell someone to F off that deserves it so be it.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
JD

I spent the better part of 26 years around cops, and 4 years of that focused entirely on tweakers and the people who make and move the shit. "Coming home" took about 3 days, if ya get my drift. I tried like heck to keep the F bombs outta my lingo when the boys were young, they slipped out when working on cars and such.
Wife reminded me. She was right to do so.
The truth is this. If your SIL wants you to tone your language down, in anticipation of kids or just around her, then at HER home I would, were I in your shoes make an effort to do so out of respect for your brother and the family you love. I mean make an effort. She didn't marry you. It ain't her job to change you.
The fact is kids in grade school today have as stout a vocabulary as you and I do, and if she thinks she is going to shield kids from the big bad world she is dreaming. I would sorta find a way to mention that there is no guarantee nor even a reasonable expectation that she or anyone else is going to be able to go through life without being offended, that contrary to popular SJW standards there is no constitutional statute that guarantees the right to not be offended.
I would make it known that the effort you plan to put forth on this is due to your respect for the family, and not a response to the perceived threat to isolate you from your future role as uncle JD. Make it known threats offend you as much as language does "other people".
Now, with the grandkids, I really try to keep it clean. Not for any offended adult, but simply because I don't want them (especially the two girls, whom I dote on and spoil as much as possible) to remember "Poppa" as a guy who couldn't get a conversation in without cussing.
With my sons, when the teen years come along and you need to kick some theoretical ass, then rarely used colorful language worked better when they hadn't heard a lot of it. It may come to that with the grandsons too...it seems to with all boys.

Tread with caution fellow language impresario, I sorta see bumps down the road apiece fer ya.

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
In my defense this guy was using the wash for 19 min.

Wait,,, you're bitchin at the guy spending his quarters to wash his trailered RZR in a blizzard and wet roads, yet you're waiting to wash your truck? In the same fuckin blizzard?