WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So, I'm starting my own business

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Not real happy with the manner in which the new owners of the company I work for are handling things...so I decided to make a change. I know the automotive brake aftermarket wholesale business pretty well, so I decided to start a business selling parts to fill in the holes that I've been taking calls about for years that the large companies don't seem to give a shit about. I'm not leaving my day job, and since I'm not competing, and am actually a customer of the company...I don't see any problems with what I'm doing. I've had a business acct with them for 15 years, but gave up my resale number 12 years ago and mostly use it for hooking up buddies with parts. I'm setting up an S-corp through LegalZoom...should have all my docs (resale, tax ID, business license, etc...) early next week.

I'm starting with a single part number. I found the actual manufacturer that produces the part for the vehicle manufacturer...and they'll sell me at a cost less that's about 1/10th or less my best cost through other inside channels...blew my mind when I got the reply to my RFQ. The specific vehicle...which is painted gray and everyone sees at least a few driving through their 'hood every day require 10 of these parts with every brake job....which happen frequently due to the nature of the business in which they are driven. I have an initial order in for 20K pieces, expected to ship in 6 weeks. At a margin of 900%, I can still supply US made product at a wholesale level and come in less than the wholesale price of the only competitor who is supplying a chinese made "equivalent"...so I'll likely go for a 1100-1200% margin since I'm supplying better quality true OEM parts. I have commitments for more than 1/2 my initial stock order already after only a few phone calls. I'm tempted to call early next week and double the order because I'm afraid I'll run out....and in this market, those with stock can charge whatever they want. I've put a minimal effort into finding customers and despite that, have several more insane deals lined up. Been doing cataloging and putting together marketing and sales info all week.

I've purchased about 20 domain names in the last couple weeks and I'm setting up a website through Shopify....

I'm concentrating on a very narrow range of applications...delivery vans and a few others who issue trends I've become aware of over the years...and have developed solutions for. That keeps cataloging simple and sku numbers at a manageable level...at least that 's the plan. I have a few more products that I manufacture in my home shop (and currently keep good stock on hand and sell) and will be targeting the web forums that cater to these platforms with retail priced "complete service packages"....one part number to order give you everything you need for a complete and correct brake job.

Future plans to branch out into GM ABS module repairs and all types of caliper rebuilding/repair, as well as targeting some OE type parts interchange "upgrades" that I've figured out.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Best of luck!!!

This is how it's done. Hat's off to you for going for it! Who knows where it might lead!!

DLC

Reaction score
That is great! When we spoke about wife’s Audi I was impressed with your product knowledge, you really know your shit!

Im sure you’ll do great as long as you can keep the phone ringing Or the emails popping!

congratulations!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
That is great! When we spoke about wife’s Audi I was impressed with your product knowledge, you really know your shit!

Im sure you’ll do great as long as you can keep the phone ringing Or the emails popping!

congratulations!
Appreciate the kind words....what did you end up doing with it? What squeels louder...the wife or the brakes?

Reactions: DLC

dspracing

Reaction score
I would think about using another e commerce platform. Shopify has discontinued phone support, this means if you need help it takes days to get an answer by email.
I had a problem recently where my ability to purchase UPS labels through Shopify was locked. You can’t call UPS to get help because your account is technically through Shopify. You can’t call Shopify and emails are days apart.
After not being able to purchase labels for 6 days the problem magically disappeared and Shopify offered no explanation as to how they resolved it. Best I can tell based on the error and info I found from others is that Shopify hadn’t paid their(my) bill to UPS which caused the account to be locked.
With that being said, best of luck on your new venture!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Excellent and congrats. I'm sure you will do well.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Im more intrigued about the 10 parts amazon sprinters need every brake job.
Iv thought about doing this on the transit side of things.......im conflicted because i know the pricing and quantities we bid for when the RO drops.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
FYI- You really dont need legal zoom, just a waste of money. All forms and instructions would be on you state secretary / biz services website. In my state its about 60 bucks. Once you get your articles of incorporation you can get your tax ID.

wzuber

Reaction score
Good luck lbhsbz. Sounds like a great adventure. Good on you to find a need and fill it.

BingerFang

Reaction score
FYI- You really dont need legal zoom, just a waste of money. All forms and instructions would be on you state secretary / biz services website. In my state its about 60 bucks. Once you get your articles of incorporation you can get your tax ID.

You beat me to it. However legal zoom does make it extremely easy if you don’t mind paying extra $$ and waiting longer.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
You beat me to it. However legal zoom does make it extremely easy if you don’t mind paying extra $$ and waiting longer.
I’m usually the guy that tries to find the cheapest way to do things...but in this case, I don’t understand all the details and I don’t really care to. I’d rather concentrate on doing the part I’m good at and pay a bit extra to legalzoom and an accountant to do what they’re good at.
...at least that’s my theory.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Im more intrigued about the 10 parts amazon sprinters need every brake job.
Iv thought about doing this on the transit side of things.......im conflicted because i know the pricing and quantities we bid for when the RO drops.
Not sprinters, Ford Transits. They have a lot of one time use bolts. I’m selling bolts.

my initial order of 20K pieces will be consumed with 2000 brake jobs...which is a drop in the bucket. Those 2000 brake jobs should create a bit north of $35k in net profits....maybe more if my USPS flat rate distribution plan loses packages that I insure. Lol

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Good for you! You see a need, and a vacancy in the market. By starting off with products you know are needed, you know you can receive a pretty quick ROI. That's one of those things that always scared me about the manufacture and sales side...what the hell would I do with empty pockets and 5,000 widgets? Glad you looked into liability. Protect your home and family. The good thing for you, the suppliers you're using already have a proven track record on the parts.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I’m usually the guy that tries to find the cheapest way to do things...but in this case, I don’t understand all the details and I don’t really care to. I’d rather concentrate on doing the part I’m good and pay a bit extra to legalzoom and an accountant to do what they’re good at.
...at least that’s my theory.

Yep.....Let people/companies do their job and do what you do best.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not sprinters, Ford Transits. They have a lot of one time use bolts. I’m selling bolts.

my initial order of 20K pieces will be consumed with 2000 brake jobs...which is a drop in the bucket. Those 2000 brake jobs should create a bit north of $35k in net profits....maybe more if my USPS flat rate distribution plan loses packages that I insure. Lol
On the Transits, are you doing the "oversize" caliper slide bolts? Those F's seem to strip the bracket on removal!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
On the Transits, are you doing the "oversize" caliper slide bolts? Those F's seem to strip the bracket on removal!
I suppose I could add those to the list. Right now I’m just doing the rear hub bolts, as those seem to be the only ones anyone actually replaces. I have one customer...single store, that went through 400 bolt kits last year. I have that business and 20 more like it right now, plus at least one manufacturer who wants to add these to their rotors.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I had a feeling it was bolts but wasnt sure. Insanely smart of you to corner that market.
Our fleet also requires us to swap out axle related bolts on the MANN axles every PM......6 Bolts per caliper carrier @ ~$19 per bolt.......we order around 300 a month lol. And thats just for the carrier.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I had a feeling it was bolts but wasnt sure. Insanely smart of you to corner that market.
Our fleet also requires us to swap out axle related bolts on the MANN axles every PM......6 Bolts per caliper carrier @ ~$19 per bolt.......we order around 300 a month lol. And thats just for the carrier.

Send me a PM with your contact info...let’s talk.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Not real happy with the manner in which the new owners of the company I work for are handling things...so I decided to make a change. I know the automotive brake aftermarket wholesale business pretty well, so I decided to start a business selling parts to fill in the holes that I've been taking calls about for years that the large companies don't seem to give a shit about. I'm not leaving my day job, and since I'm not competing, and am actually a customer of the company...I don't see any problems with what I'm doing. I've had a business acct with them for 15 years, but gave up my resale number 12 years ago and mostly use it for hooking up buddies with parts. I'm setting up an S-corp through LegalZoom...should have all my docs (resale, tax ID, business license, etc...) early next week.

I'm starting with a single part number. I found the actual manufacturer that produces the part for the vehicle manufacturer...and they'll sell me at a cost less that's about 1/10th or less my best cost through other inside channels...blew my mind when I got the reply to my RFQ. The specific vehicle...which is painted gray and everyone sees at least a few driving through their 'hood every day require 10 of these parts with every brake job....which happen frequently due to the nature of the business in which they are driven. I have an initial order in for 20K pieces, expected to ship in 6 weeks. At a margin of 900%, I can still supply US made product at a wholesale level and come in less than the wholesale price of the only competitor who is supplying a chinese made "equivalent"...so I'll likely go for a 1100-1200% margin since I'm supplying better quality true OEM parts. I have commitments for more than 1/2 my initial stock order already after only a few phone calls. I'm tempted to call early next week and double the order because I'm afraid I'll run out....and in this market, those with stock can charge whatever they want. I've put a minimal effort into finding customers and despite that, have several more insane deals lined up. Been doing cataloging and putting together marketing and sales info all week.

I've purchased about 20 domain names in the last couple weeks and I'm setting up a website through Shopify....

I'm concentrating on a very narrow range of applications...delivery vans and a few others who issue trends I've become aware of over the years...and have developed solutions for. That keeps cataloging simple and sku numbers at a manageable level...at least that 's the plan. I have a few more products that I manufacture in my home shop (and currently keep good stock on hand and sell) and will be targeting the web forums that cater to these platforms with retail priced "complete service packages"....one part number to order give you everything you need for a complete and correct brake job.

Future plans to branch out into GM ABS module repairs and all types of caliper rebuilding/repair, as well as targeting some OE type parts interchange "upgrades" that I've figured out.

Wish me luck.

Take all the Advice people wish to give you and then Sort through them and keep the good ones. There is Nothing Like Being Your Own BOSS!!. Even though to really succeed it is Long Hours, Few Vacations ETC. The End results are impossible to explain.

Good Luck, and Forward and Upward!!

DLC

Reaction score
Appreciate the kind words....what did you end up doing with it? What squeels louder...the wife or the brakes?
Right now she doesn’t drive it much, she has gone on an email campaign to Audi customer NO service ! We don’t talk about it much because she has been given all the answers $12-$1500 will make the issue go away!

Which is cheap to make life happy again!

so nothing done and we are in a holding pattern, as soon as the weather warms up she will want it fixed ASAP!!

nowski

Reaction score
Congrats on your new venture!!!

Question? Back when you worked with Steve Ruiz did you happen to also work with guy by the name of Edgar Rodriguez?

Anyways I worked for a small shop at the time in Lomita and did lots of work for Steve back in the day...

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Congrats on your new venture!!!

Question? Back when you worked with Steve Ruiz did you happen to also work with guy by the name of Edgar Rodriguez?

Anyways I worked for a small shop at the time in Lomita and did lots of work for Steve back in the day...
The name doesn't ring a bell...I wasn't really involved in the StopTech side of the business...mostly the Centric side of the business, so I didn't know a lot of the guys on the floor at StopTech.

I talked to Steve the other day...he's doing well.

nowski

Reaction score
The name doesn't ring a bell...I wasn't really involved in the StopTech side of the business...mostly the Centric side of the business, so I didn't know a lot of the guys on the floor at StopTech.

I talked to Steve the other day...he's doing well.
The last time I saw Steve was at Car's and Coffee back when it was in Irvine, we talked for a good half hour. When it came to brakes that guy was a genius...

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Congrats on the decision ibhsbz! I am positive you will be so successful, you'll need help in the first 30 days.... ;) 🤘

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Good for you! You see a need, and a vacancy in the market. By starting off with products you know are needed, you know you can receive a pretty quick ROI. That's one of those things that always scared me about the manufacture and sales side...what the hell would I do with empty pockets and 5,000 widgets? Glad you looked into liability. Protect your home and family. The good thing for you, the suppliers you're using already have a proven track record on the parts.
I know that situation...I started making these about 6 years ago. Reservoir kits for old Ford CF6000 and 7000 trucks...the original ones crack and no replacements exist, so I turn these adapters out of hex stock and stick a Wilwood universal reservoir and cap on em. I sell by the pair (2 per truck) for $300. I’ll go 8 months without selling one and then sell 10 the next week. I don’t really advertise though...just word of mouth through customers. I’m sitting on 20 of them right now.
D2A96B3A-BBBD-4989-B677-CA58197BB154.jpeg
20C8A8F6-06DB-42E0-84E1-DE1F57DFBDE1.jpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Just got my first notice from LegalZoom that my quarterlies are due on the 15th. LOL. It begins.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I would think about using another e commerce platform. Shopify has discontinued phone support, this means if you need help it takes days to get an answer by email.
I had a problem recently where my ability to purchase UPS labels through Shopify was locked. You can’t call UPS to get help because your account is technically through Shopify. You can’t call Shopify and emails are days apart.
After not being able to purchase labels for 6 days the problem magically disappeared and Shopify offered no explanation as to how they resolved it. Best I can tell based on the error and info I found from others is that Shopify hadn’t paid their(my) bill to UPS which caused the account to be locked.
With that being said, best of luck on your new venture!
I re-read this and will be cancelling my Shopify thing tonight. I can’t stand not having someone on the other end of the phone.

batterup

Reaction score
I’ve already spoken to an insurance co. I’m waiting until I have documents in hand to move forward with that.
Congratulations! Let me know if your insurance guy doesn’t provide a good option. My specialty is auto parts. I insure some the the biggest names in the business. Also, I recommend getting an inland/ocean marine policy instead of insuring your shipments through UPS. It will save you a lot of money and provide better coverage. As you grow, I would look into credit insurance as well. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Keith

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Congratulations! Let me know if your insurance guy doesn’t provide a good option. My specialty is auto parts. I insure some the the biggest names in the business. Also, I recommend getting an inland/ocean marine policy instead of insuring your shipments through UPS. It will save you a lot of money and provide better coverage. As you grow, I would look into credit insurance as well. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Keith
I'll call you tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!
You don't NEED LUCK!!!
Just be HONEST!!!! with integrity

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Update: ...zero progress. Evidently the state is dragging their ass so until they decide to do their fucking job, I'm dead in the water. In the mean time, I've been busting ass hauling a bunch of stuff out of our warehouse that was gonna end up in the scrap bin...I'm a scavenger...can't let good stuff go to waste. I'm hustling every side deal I can find to make a few bucks while giving good deals. There's a guy that actually hired me 20 years ago that left 5 years ago for greener pastures (my first service manager told me when I walked in to give notice one day...."the grass is only greener on the other side because that's where the dog shits")...and that all fell apart about a year ago, so he rented a little 1200sq/ft strip mall warehouse thing and has started a small brake caliper rebuilding business. I've put up about 6 truckloads of shelving in his place, and have plenty more. I'm turning my back garage into my "warehouse" with 50 linear feet of 24" wide x 10' tall shelving. I've rescued a whole bunch of rare vintage european calipers and brake parts from the scrap man and I'm in the process of sorting all that out now. I have 2 sets of front calipers for an early '70's Lamborghini Espada/Muira....google that. Those are the rarest so far, and should bring good cash when I'm done with 'em. Nobody left at the business has any clue what any of this shit is that we've been putting aside in the archives for 20 years. Its a gold mine.

....continuing to wait. Can't do shit with the business until I get my business paperwork

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Update: ...zero progress. Evidently the state is dragging their ass so until they decide to do their fucking job, I'm dead in the water. In the mean time, I've been busting ass hauling a bunch of stuff out of our warehouse that was gonna end up in the scrap bin...I'm a scavenger...can't let good stuff go to waste. I'm hustling every side deal I can find to make a few bucks while giving good deals. There's a guy that actually hired me 20 years ago that left 5 years ago for greener pastures (my first service manager told me when I walked in to give notice one day...."the grass is only greener on the other side because that's where the dog shits")...and that all fell apart about a year ago, so he rented a little 1200sq/ft strip mall warehouse thing and has started a small brake caliper rebuilding business. I've put up about 6 truckloads of shelving in his place, and have plenty more. I'm turning my back garage into my "warehouse" with 50 linear feet of 24" wide x 10' tall shelving. I've rescued a whole bunch of rare vintage european calipers and brake parts from the scrap man and I'm in the process of sorting all that out now. I have 2 sets of front calipers for an early '70's Lamborghini Espada/Muira....google that. Those are the rarest so far, and should bring good cash when I'm done with 'em. Nobody left at the business has any clue what any of this shit is that we've been putting aside in the archives for 20 years. Its a gold mine.

....continuing to wait. Can't do shit with the business until I get my business paperwork
I bet as soon as your name gets out in the more exotic vintage car circles you will have guys calling all the time looking for parts. And if you are just scavenging most of your parts..... cash gold mine!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Got my EIN today along with the rest of it. Took almost exactly a month, which I guess isn't bad.

I'll get the bank acct opened up tonight or tomorrow hopefully and then the ball starts rolling.

Been keeping busy sourcing calipers cores and rebuilding..and digging through 1970s Lucas Girling catalogs correcting all the current cataloging that seems to be available from current brake suppliers...I have about 20 finished units in stock now for ‘60s jag / lotus / other euro/British.
C2CB1E67-BDC0-4E7A-AFC9-9250F0B1A92D.jpeg
55DB24D5-0438-492C-8A5A-11AEDF6F1AA8.jpeg

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Wish you nothing but success and happiness working for yourself.

PS: If you hate your boss then you know you're the problem 😁 🤡

LuauLounge

Reaction score
There is a freedom that can't be explained, along with, you have the ability to work 24/7. Find the happy place in between.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Got my EIN today along with the rest of it. Took almost exactly a month, which I guess isn't bad.

I'll get the bank acct opened up tonight or tomorrow hopefully and then the ball starts rolling.

Been keeping busy sourcing calipers cores and rebuilding..and digging through 1970s Lucas Girling catalogs correcting all the current cataloging that seems to be available from current brake suppliers...I have about 20 finished units in stock now for ‘60s jag / lotus / other euro/British. View attachment 987520 View attachment 987521
I did some Avanti brakes a few years back like these. F'n 3 piston! I ended up researching bore sizes for "normal" stuff, and ordering kits for different cars. Wierd stuff that sticks in your head.