WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So, I'm starting my own business

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I did some Avanti brakes a few years back like these. F'n 3 piston! I ended up researching bore sizes for "normal" stuff, and ordering kits for different cars. Wierd stuff that sticks in your head.
There is definitely some strange stuff out there. Parts are mostly still available if you know where to look.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Getting off to a decent start..

All the tax/state/fed/bank shit is sorted out (I think). Gotta get my city business license still and I'll get insured before I start selling my own product...but that can wait another month.

I got my PO in for the 20K pieces that were the original idea behind starting this business...those should be here end of next month. I've been working with a US O-ring manufacturer duplicate and upgrade the material in some axle seal o-rings that will be included in the kit...placed that order today, they should be here about the same time.

I have 10,000 bags with my logo, part number, application info, torque specs, etc...and a big MADE IN USA that should be here about the same time...so that should be a fun weekend.

I have pending orders right now for a bit more than double my cost on my initial order, plus a few more huge deals in the pipe that I need to work a bit harder on.
...that's for the bolts/o-rings.

an opportunity presented itself to supply some small turned aluminum tools to lock a proportioning valve in place during brake bleeding...he wanted 500 and told me he'd pay $5/piece. I had those made at $1.33 (in the USA with USA material) and the should deliver middle of next week.

The same guy with the tool need is getting tired of dealing with the company I work for so he told me to figure out his caliper situation...that and I'm tired of hearing him bitch to me about how we and all the other big rebuilders constantly fuck up the orders...every single time, so I'm bringing in 900 calipers out of China from a factory I've done business with 10 years ago that builds very nice product.

I have a friend with a warehouse in City of Industry who is receiving my freight shipments for me...it's a bit of a drive, especially when I've gotta make 4 trips to haul heavy stuff home, but it'll work for now. My "warehouse" is a 10x20 storage unit I rented at a place 2 minutes from my house for $230/month....whatever, it keeps costs low.

Been doing a bit of retail sales too since I know where to find everything that's hard to find and making some good margins. Have two 4 wheel big brake kit sales I'm trying to get done right now...about $7K each with $3000 profit each.

Developing some special O-rings and caliper components for early Porsche and Alfa romeo brake calipers that the guy I was gonna partner with, who doesn't want to partner now, needs but is too lazy or stupid to find them himself, so I'll make some money on that.

Its chugging right along. No more new stuff until some money starts going back in the bank. I just made that rule today. lol. Had a bunch of stuff up on ebay but I think I'm gonna take it all down this weekend and throw it in the trash because it's easier than dealing with the fuckers on ebay.

I'm trying to learn quickbooks...it's probably simple for some people but not me. I'll probably pawn it off on the wife...she needs something to do with her day.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Getting off to a decent start..

All the tax/state/fed/bank shit is sorted out (I think). Gotta get my city business license still and I'll get insured before I start selling my own product...but that can wait another month.

I got my PO in for the 20K pieces that were the original idea behind starting this business...those should be here end of next month. I've been working with a US O-ring manufacturer duplicate and upgrade the material in some axle seal o-rings that will be included in the kit...placed that order today, they should be here about the same time.

I have 10,000 bags with my logo, part number, application info, torque specs, etc...and a big MADE IN USA that should be here about the same time...so that should be a fun weekend.

I have pending orders right now for a bit more than double my cost on my initial order, plus a few more huge deals in the pipe that I need to work a bit harder on.
...that's for the bolts/o-rings.

an opportunity presented itself to supply some small turned aluminum tools to lock a proportioning valve in place during brake bleeding...he wanted 500 and told me he'd pay $5/piece. I had those made at $1.33 (in the USA with USA material) and the should deliver middle of next week.

The same guy with the tool need is getting tired of dealing with the company I work for so he told me to figure out his caliper situation...that and I'm tired of hearing him bitch to me about how we and all the other big rebuilders constantly fuck up the orders...every single time, so I'm bringing in 900 calipers out of China from a factory I've done business with 10 years ago that builds very nice product.

I have a friend with a warehouse in City of Industry who is receiving my freight shipments for me...it's a bit of a drive, especially when I've gotta make 4 trips to haul heavy stuff home, but it'll work for now. My "warehouse" is a 10x20 storage unit I rented at a place 2 minutes from my house for $230/month....whatever, it keeps costs low.

Been doing a bit of retail sales too since I know where to find everything that's hard to find and making some good margins. Have two 4 wheel big brake kit sales I'm trying to get done right now...about $7K each with $3000 profit each.

Developing some special O-rings and caliper components for early Porsche and Alfa romeo brake calipers that the guy I was gonna partner with, who doesn't want to partner now, needs but is too lazy or stupid to find them himself, so I'll make some money on that.

Its chugging right along. No more new stuff until some money starts going back in the bank. I just made that rule today. lol. Had a bunch of stuff up on ebay but I think I'm gonna take it all down this weekend and throw it in the trash because it's easier than dealing with the fuckers on ebay.

I'm sure you know cause you seem like a smart guy. But be careful with your current employer and moving customers to your new business..... If they find out, your employer more than likely to come after you.... Even if the employer has no leg to stand on, who has deeper pockets to fight.

Seems like a cool niche business

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I'm sure you know cause you seem like a smart guy. But be careful with your current employer and moving customers to your new business..... If they find out, your employer more than likely to come after you.... Even if the employer has no leg to stand on, who has deeper pockets to fight.

Seems like a cool niche business
My current employer is temp agency who forgot to fill out the company name with which I'm not supposed to compete on the non-compete that they made me sign when I started working here again last year.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
This is exciting! You need to hire some people. Someone in my thread said to pay them many times more than the position justifies and what your budget allows. What is a budget anyways? Labor market, like takin candy from a baby with what you’ll pay!! You’ll get amazing production and dedication out of them, a true “company” person they shall become. Surely your production will soar. Screw the ways millions of businesses have made it work for centuries. Don’t listen to any experienced ones, they don’t know what they’re doing employing hundreds at market rate....

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
This is exciting! You need to hire some people. Someone in my thread said to pay them many times more than the position justifies and what your budget allows. What is a budget anyways? Labor market, like takin candy from a baby with what you’ll pay!! You’ll get amazing production and dedication out of them, a true “company” person they shall become. Surely your production will soar. Screw the ways millions of businesses have made it work for centuries. Don’t listen to any experienced ones, they don’t know what they’re doing employing hundreds at market rate....
I don't need to hire anyone. Employees are a pain in the ass.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Cool- then you’ll “work” the rest of your career/life...

Btw-Sorry, I didn’t say that to be a dick. That’s the situation you’re working. Your creating a job for yourself. Without you there’s nothing, it’s ceases- you can’t step away. If that’s what you’re aiming for great, only you know what you can chase and kill, if it hits your goals then you win.

My first attempt at a business was just me. It never justified a staff. I soon realized it was a job, not a business. I moved on.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
And I shot an email to my boss this morning, since the lease is up on our building in august, asking him if i’d be working from home, laid off, or what? I got no reply, so I think I have my answer. I’ll probably quit in a few weeks and go to the river. Gotta make up for the shit summer last year and make some fun for the kid.

Edit: shit, can’t quit until I close on the triplex i’m buying.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Assembled about 10 sets of vintage British calipers yesterday that I tore down, blasted, and sent out for plating a few weeks ago....have another 15 sets to go together when components come in next week.
424F965B-D997-4B1E-BEF1-EBD36F1CC2C9.jpeg
E8C4FCA6-E1EE-45F0-8047-01911D3E7842.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Update:

My order of 20K bolts showed up Monday....so I hand loaded all 3500lbs in my truck in City of Industry at my buddy's warehouse and got them home. Another component that goes in my kits with the bolts wasn't gonna get here for another week with economical shipping, so I had them overnight me 200 so I could at least get 200 kits together. Centric Parts (company I used to work for) used to use outside sales rep agencies...and when the new overlords bought us, they fired them all....so most of them went to work for my old boss at his new brake company. I called 'em all up and they took on my product...so I wanted to get them out samples ASAP. Also shipped a $500 kit order on Tuesday...that was nice, the first real income.

Started the process to sell on Amazon, figure a little retail won’t hurt, and at the very least, It’ll give the brand some exposure to the DIY market.

Today was good...about $6K in sales....some tools I had made came in and I was able to get them out and I sold a big brake kit. I've had all my rebuilt calipers up on ebay and while the british stuff doesn't seem to move too well, the Porsche 914 rears are selling pretty good. Sold a set yesterday and another set tonight for $269 w/ a $240 core deposit....and sold a couple sets last week. I only have 2 more sets plated and ready to build, so those are getting done up tonight. A guy dropped off a 4 wheel set of 914 calipers to get restored this afternoon for around $500.

....and I'm trying to figure out quickbooks between beers.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My current employer is temp agency who forgot to fill out the company name with which I'm not supposed to compete on the non-compete that they made me sign when I started working here again last year.
Well that was fucking perfect.

nowski

Reaction score
I worked at this company (Hitco) back in the day. While looking through my archives I ran across this old magazine article, gives you an idea how long carbon / carbon brakes have been around...

Carbon Carbon Brakes.jpg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Update:

The Chinese caliper supplier pissed me off so I cancelled that order and am currently shopping the PO with some US foundries...

My only “competition”, who was outta stock for a couple months musta received a container load and filled all the back orders about a week before I had product ready to ship...so everyone cancelled their orders.. lol. That figures...we’ll get ‘em next round.

eBay stuff about stopped, not sure why, had a great week and then dead for 2 weeks until yesterday when a caliper order came through.

Still building some caliper inventory...15 sets of early Porsche going out for plating on Monday. Had 3 pair of early Volvo come in for rebuilding Tuesday and I delivered those yesterday.

pistons are becoming difficult to find, so I’ve been making some of my own out of 316 bar stock.

I got 5 T-shirts made with my logo...so that’s kinda cool. Lol.

Had a zoom meeting today with my east coast/Great Lakes rep that went well

....there’s always next week. Not throwing in the towel any time soon.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Update:

The Chinese caliper supplier pissed me off so I cancelled that order and am currently shopping the PO with some US foundries...

My only “competition”, who was outta stock for a couple months musta received a container load and filled all the back orders about a week before I had product ready to ship...so everyone cancelled their orders.. lol. That figures...we’ll get ‘em next round.

eBay stuff about stopped, not sure why, had a great week and then dead for 2 weeks until yesterday when a caliper order came through.

Still building some caliper inventory...15 sets of early Porsche going out for plating on Monday. Had 3 pair of early Volvo come in for rebuilding Tuesday and I delivered those yesterday.

pistons are becoming difficult to find, so I’ve been making some of my own out of 316 bar stock.

I got 5 T-shirts made with my logo...so that’s kinda cool. Lol.

Had a zoom meeting today with my east coast/Great Lakes rep that went well

....there’s always next week. Not throwing in the towel any time soon.

Keep on knocking on them doors.....

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Sorry, just saw this. Non-competes in California are tough to uphold. Good news is my company doesn’t try to fight them. Bad news, severance isn’t typically as much.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Sorry, just saw this. Non-competes in California are tough to uphold. Good news is my company doesn’t try to fight them. Bad news, severance isn’t typically as much.

I got no severance at all.

• Angry
Reactions: DWC

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Decided I need more shit for eBay...goal is to get 100 items listed, that should increase business from my current 15 items. I found a guy selling some 911 SC calipers on c-list for $100...and after chatting with him...it got a little out of hand lol. I spent $1200 on early porsche cores. Redone, should turn into $4K or so....3 days work, 2 if I skip my napes
2F0F0147-2CA5-4446-A32A-BBCD692AED7C.jpeg
FEF1C099-8274-4BE5-948B-36196E3DFEA8.jpeg
A229F0C3-DE2D-405A-B4EF-51C2B5BF2172.jpeg

Last edited:

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Decided I need more shit for eBay...goal is to get 100 items listed, that should increase business from my current 15 items. I found a guy selling some 911 SC calipers on c-list for $100...and after chatting with him...it got a little out of hand lol. I spent $1200 on early porsche cores. Redone, should turn into $4K or so....3 days work, 2 if I skip my napes
View attachment 1014624 View attachment 1014625 View attachment 1014626

Look forward to seeing these completed.

boatpi

Reaction score
I wish you the best, sorry to say the azzholes in Sacramento do not. Just another reason why we first set up an S Corp in nevada three years ago. Now two months ago a new location in Corona, a mess. Cali took over TWO months to issue our S corp number, and that only got resolved by many calls to you local state senators office. Still waiting for the state employee number, three months! The EIN was simple. And...Two months to get our re sale number, just a complete joke.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I wish you the best, sorry to say the azzholes in Sacramento do not. Just another reason why we first set up an S Corp in nevada three years ago. Now two months ago a new location in Corona, a mess. Cali took over TWO months to issue our S corp number, and that only got resolved by many calls to you local state senators office. Still waiting for the state employee number, three months! The EIN was simple. And...Two months to get our re sale number, just a complete joke.

I never received anything with my state employee number...I googled CA SEIN and typed my company name in a search box, then it pulled up my SEIN. Lol...it had been done for a month but nobody told me. Try that.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Received orders for 4 cases of the bolts last night...a bit over $1000...which is nice. I’m throwing a pack of M&Ms in with every order, because it’s cheap and I had a vendor that used to do that and it was awesome...no other reason.

bonesfab

Reaction score
If you want to get into the c3 corvette world I have a few sets of Caliper cores laying around.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If you want to get into the c3 corvette world I have a few sets of Caliper cores laying around.

I’d really rather not...not in the mood to start sleeving those things when the new Chinese ones work better for 1/2 the price.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I figure I’ll keep posting updates here, for anyone interested in going out on their own without any idea as to what the fuck they’re doing, because that’s the boat I’m in. Might be fun

I did it 18 years ago. Not a business class to be had. Business plan?? Never heard of them. A wing and a prayer and some common sense and morals and I have done alright for myself. Wish I would have done it sooner but things work for a reason most of the time.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I might have a set sunbeam tiger caliper cores around here if you are interested.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Sure, Pm me a price. Bring ‘em with you to Long Beach in aug. and I’ll get ‘em from you at the stadium.

I think those are the girling 16P calipers...do they look like this?

B0210A05-DFB2-4CBD-97D7-AC56D4DB4644.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
I did it 18 years ago. Not a business class to be had. Business plan?? Never heard of them. A wing and a prayer and some common sense and morals and I have done alright for myself. Wish I would have done it sooner but things work for a reason most of the time.
You had some motivation....... his name was Joe🤣🤣🤣

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Another month passes…it’s been slow, but things are headed in the right direction.

None of my wholesale customers who have purchased the bolts have paid me…lol…I should have expected that.

Caliper sales on eBay are up and down…one week I’ll sell 4-5 sets, then nothing for 2 weeks. Strange.

Those porsche cores are finally going to plating this morning…the buddy who I combine plating orders with so we both get better pricing has been dragging ass, and since I’m in no hurry, I waited. Good thing too, because I found a local plater that’s way better…wall of certs and does mainly DOD stuff…and does Cadmium plating, the correct way with cyanide. More pricy but quality of corrosion protection is about 5 times that of zinc, so that’s what I’m using.

Had a few guys reach out to me after seeing my eBay listings that weren’t what they needed to see if I could refurbish their calipers. I have a set of jag XJ12 series 2 calipers coming this week for a $300 refurb, and a 4 wheel set from a ‘64 Maserati 5000GT for a $700-$900 refurb. A local shop is pulling a set off a Caterham 7 that I will get tomorrow for the same treatment and another shop dropped off a set of ‘60s Volvo 4 pistons last night in boxes of parts (some missing) to sort out…I was able to turn those around in about an hour since I had all the parts in stock. Another guy just bought a 4 wheel set of Porsche 914 calipers for about $1000 with the core deposit…

It’s looking like a decent week so far. Gotta figure out how to keep this up.

Centric (company I worked for for 18 years) closed my acct last week for no reason, which is fine because they are out of most things I would need them for and now I have a good excuse to not pay them. Assholes. I have secured accts with their suppliers to buy everything I need at better pricing.

@rivermobster is building me a website…so that should help.

Last edited:

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
@lbhsbz … do you still have the ability to order brake components for newer vehicles? I will be needing new rotors and pads for my 2016 Ram 2500 in the next month or so.
Fyi.. congratulations on the new biz and cheers to continued success!! 🇺🇸

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
@lbhsbz … do you still have the ability to order brake components for newer vehicles? I will be needing new rotors and pads for my 2016 Ram 2500 in the next month or so.
Fyi.. congratulations on the new biz and cheers to continued success!! 🇺🇸

Yes, but you will probably get better pricing through rock auto…it’s not worth my time whore things out the way they do.

If you’re local and there’s no shipping, I can probably come in reasonably…the value is in me choosing the parts for you instead of you choosing wrong being mislead by marketing wank.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Got it. I’m not local anymore but hate buying from the big companies that pedal mostly cheap China shit. With that being said I will reach out to you went the time comes and see what manufacturers recommend for the replacement.

Yes, but you will probably get better pricing through rock auto…it’s not worth my time whore things out the way they do.

If you’re local and there’s no shipping, I can probably come in reasonably…the value is in me choosing the parts for you instead of you choosing wrong being mislead by marketing wank.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Well….this was a pretty good week.

A British shop I deal with gave me a set of MGA calipers to do on Monday…also talked him into buying a couple sets of MGB calipers I had in stock…for cheap, because I’m tired of dealing with cheap ass MGB people. That was $320 on Monday…then handed me a set of calipers from a Caterham to do up. When I got back to the “shop”, there was a set of old Volvo calipers on the porch from another local shop…I had all the parts in stock and put those back together for $185, Dropped off 30 or 40 sets on Tuesday to get plated…picking those up today around noon. Got those Maserati in on Wed…started tearing those down. Yesterday I sold 2 sets of calipers and 4 rebuild kits on eBay…$800.

British shop called me yesterday with a set of TR4 and TR6 calipers to do up…$380 ticket with the Caterham pair.

Other shop just dropped off a set of 6 piston Brembos…freshly powder coated, to put back together…got those done in about 20 minutes, another $240 had OEM Brembo boots and seals in stock

Set of 67 Jag calipers showing up tomorrow for a quick $300…

If I can keep this up things will be OK.

Last edited:

LuauLounge

Reaction score
So, have you thought about hiring some help?
Having been in business most of my life, you can't run a business and do all the work. You run out of time.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
So, have you thought about hiring some help?
Having been in business most of my life, you can't run a business and do all the work. You run out of time.
No. If I get too busy, I'll raise prices until the workload is where I want it. Employees (most of them) don't take ownership and don't give a shit. I don't want that.

....at least that's the way it's gonna work in my little mind. lol

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
$400 later…cad plating with a flash zinc plate over top…the way they’re supposed to be.

Busy weekend ahead…
30D2C72F-C680-42D5-8FCA-E1CB2EE116EF.jpeg

ridebig

Reaction score
Not real happy with the manner in which the new owners of the company I work for are handling things...so I decided to make a change. I know the automotive brake aftermarket wholesale business pretty well, so I decided to start a business selling parts to fill in the holes that I've been taking calls about for years that the large companies don't seem to give a shit about. I'm not leaving my day job, and since I'm not competing, and am actually a customer of the company...I don't see any problems with what I'm doing. I've had a business acct with them for 15 years, but gave up my resale number 12 years ago and mostly use it for hooking up buddies with parts. I'm setting up an S-corp through LegalZoom...should have all my docs (resale, tax ID, business license, etc...) early next week.

I'm starting with a single part number. I found the actual manufacturer that produces the part for the vehicle manufacturer...and they'll sell me at a cost less that's about 1/10th or less my best cost through other inside channels...blew my mind when I got the reply to my RFQ. The specific vehicle...which is painted gray and everyone sees at least a few driving through their 'hood every day require 10 of these parts with every brake job....which happen frequently due to the nature of the business in which they are driven. I have an initial order in for 20K pieces, expected to ship in 6 weeks. At a margin of 900%, I can still supply US made product at a wholesale level and come in less than the wholesale price of the only competitor who is supplying a chinese made "equivalent"...so I'll likely go for a 1100-1200% margin since I'm supplying better quality true OEM parts. I have commitments for more than 1/2 my initial stock order already after only a few phone calls. I'm tempted to call early next week and double the order because I'm afraid I'll run out....and in this market, those with stock can charge whatever they want. I've put a minimal effort into finding customers and despite that, have several more insane deals lined up. Been doing cataloging and putting together marketing and sales info all week.

I've purchased about 20 domain names in the last couple weeks and I'm setting up a website through Shopify....

I'm concentrating on a very narrow range of applications...delivery vans and a few others who issue trends I've become aware of over the years...and have developed solutions for. That keeps cataloging simple and sku numbers at a manageable level...at least that 's the plan. I have a few more products that I manufacture in my home shop (and currently keep good stock on hand and sell) and will be targeting the web forums that cater to these platforms with retail priced "complete service packages"....one part number to order give you everything you need for a complete and correct brake job.

Future plans to branch out into GM ABS module repairs and all types of caliper rebuilding/repair, as well as targeting some OE type parts interchange "upgrades" that I've figured out.

Wish me luck.
America, this is what it’s about!!! Best of luck!!!!

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
You are going to kill it if you focus on these niche supply demand models as a start up and then graduate to add more common SKU's on high margin parts by locking in production supply before competitors that aren't as focussed and displined as you sound. Good Luck!

LuauLounge

Reaction score
No. If I get too busy, I'll raise prices until the workload is where I want it. Employees (most of them) don't take ownership and don't give a shit. I don't want that.

I tried that too, it didn't work. No time off because your customers expect you to be available all the time. Then, 5 years ago, I came down with cancer, that basically took me out for a year. Business continued on with very little involvement on my part.
We are fortunate, we are at 5 employees, my wife, myself and two employees that have been with us for over 20 years and one over 10 years.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

Raise the prices till the the work load is where you want it . ???
Not sure if that is good move.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I never knew calipers where this sought after.
Cool niche business.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Raise the prices till the the work load is where you want it . ???
Not sure if that is good move.

I’d rather build/sell 6 calipers per day at $150 each than 30 at $50 each.

USPS helped me out yesterday…they lost a set of jag calipers that a customer tried to send me. I had a set in stock, so with the cores, 2 calipers came out to $589. I’m about $100 into that one….I like those margins.

Edit: I’ve watched and experienced “growth” destroy lots of companies. First they seek out bigger customers…with more buying power, and lower prices….then quality dives as companies start cutting corners to get some profit back, and on and on.

I don’t want that. I won’t sell to cheap ass bottom feeders. That’s why I threw all my MGB calipers in the trash. Cheap ass customers. Don’t need ‘em.

Last edited: