WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So is old wood worth anything nowadays?

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
My Uncle just passed away in North Dakota, i'm flying out for the funeral tomorrow.
The farmhouse was remodeled in the early 1900's and is actually pretty big house. the foundation is shot. back in the day what ever they used in the cement ended up falling apart and just flaked. i remember 20 years ago them talking about what it would take to save the house. lift it up and redo all the foundation and it just wasn't worth it.

Well now that he is gone there is zero use for the house. i know the cousins had talked about just burning it down. which is standard practice back there,

But with prices of lumber what they are now days i was wondering if it actually would have any value. i would imaging that the bottom foot of the house would be useless but the rest should be in good shape. they don't have humidity up there.

1620158500057.jpeg
1620159461609.jpeg

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
yup, theres crews that will come in and do the hard part themselves. They'll gut everything, take the parts worth money and give you cash.

some of the other items worth a good bit are windows, fixtures, and sometimes even flooring / ceiling material

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Yeah I think that would definitely be worth money. Also I know in indiana theres something to do with property taxes and moving barns/ buildings that makes it worth it. Might be the case for North Dakota

Tank

Reaction score
Sorry about your uncle Dan.

I'd re-do the foundation and rent it or use it as a family retreat or let a property management Co. rent it out as Airbnb. We had the foundation redone on our house (built in 1920). It wasn't stupid expensive or that big of a deal as I recall (it was done like 30 years ago). They jack up parts at a time frame it, fill it, drop it, on to the next part.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Sorry about your uncle Dan.

I'd re-do the foundation and rent it or use it as a family retreat or let a property management Co. rent it out as Airbnb. We had the foundation redone on our house (built in 1920). It wasn't stupid expensive or that big of a deal as I recall (it was done like 30 years ago). They jack up parts at a time frame it, fill it, drop it, on to the next part.
Not much tourism up in that part of North Dakota and not likely that people are going to want to be in a house with no heat or toilet. the outhouse still works thou

Not like having a place on the beach

Tank

Reaction score
Not much tourism up in that part of North Dakota and not likely that people are going to want to be in a house with no heat or toilet. the outhouse still works thou

Not like having a place on the beach
Dude, you'd be surprised. People love that shit. All these hipster dipshits would be all over that action! Especially if it's someone isolated and has some property.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Dude, you'd be surprised. People love that shit. All these hipster dipshits would be all over that action! Especially if it's someone isolated and has some property.
That's 100% true. Some of these hippsters pay big money to shit in the woods.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
RIP to your Uncle Dan.

where is this at in SD? How big is the property? Any other buildings on site?

stoker

Reaction score
If by chance that siding is redwood that would be big bucks

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
RIP to your Uncle Dan.

where is this at in SD? How big is the property? Any other buildings on site?
Its by Langdon North Dakota. actually the farm is 3 miles from Canada. my other uncle has another house on the property ( he passed away 7 years ago ) so his wife still lives there. that house is a lot newer, . the barn and other old buildings have been gone for at least 50 years. the quonsets that they have now on the property are metal.
the land that the houses are on is probably 10 to 15 acres. the land they farm is 1100 acres.
1620165279768.png

1620165353789.png

Tank

Reaction score
Its by Langdon North Dakota. actually the farm is 3 miles from Canada. my other uncle has another house on the property ( he passed away 7 years ago ) so his wife still lives there. that house is a lot newer, . the barn and other old buildings have been gone for at least 50 years. the quonsets that they have now on the property are metal.
the land that the houses are on is probably 10 to 15 acres. the land they farm is 1100 acres.
View attachment 999033
View attachment 999034

see!? Sell that farm experience on airbnb. People LOVE THAT SHIT!!!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’d hardly call myself a hipster dipshit bit on reading this thread and looking at the picture if love to stay a week there. I don’t like people or tourism 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm surprised some movie company wouldn't want to use it and possibly destroy it filming yet another old spooky haunted house storyline. If you only knew somebody in the business 😁
You couldn't pay my wife enough to stay in any old farm house -- nope, won't happen. :oops:

Tank

Reaction score
I’d hardly call myself a hipster dipshit bit on reading this thread and looking at the picture if love to stay a week there. I don’t like people or tourism 😂
LOL. So after I wrote that I was like, "I'd like to go stay a week and chill in the middle of no where and pee in an outhouse" But seriously, the hipster dipshits WOULD love it too.

Nordie

Reaction score
Yep worth money. I'm always on the hunt for rough sawn lumber, I'll make my own dimensions.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Rip grandpa, I bet someone would pay big bucks for that place , fix foundation trick it out 🤔👍

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Lots of money in weathered/distressed lumber. Big market and plenty of companies that dismantle old houses and barns to repurpose the lumber in furniture and new “old” construction. Should be able to find someone to dismantle the place and send you a check.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss Dan. Always sucks to see family for stuff like this.

That setup would be my dream! Miles from anywhere, yet still grass around the home. I guess I would turn the old farmhouse into a guest house. I like old farms. Saw some small setups in western Kansas I liked, but wife wouldn't go for them.

@Tank When you mention hipsters wanting the farm experience, I think of Paulie Shore, "Son In Law" 😂

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
LOL. So after I wrote that I was like, "I'd like to go stay a week and chill in the middle of no where and pee in an outhouse" But seriously, the hipster dipshits WOULD love it too.
OMG you totally cracked me up, are you a chick? why in the hell would you go into a outhouse to pee? it stinks in there, you are on a farm in the fucking middle of nowhere,

Damn city slickers

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
OMG you totally cracked me up, are you a chick? why in the hell would you go into a outhouse to pee? it stinks in there, you are on a farm in the fucking middle of nowhere,

Damn city slickers
My cousin live on a farm in Indiana in the middle of nowhere. Growing up when we would visit they had a balcony off their bedroom and we would pee off of it at night versus going down the steepest flight of deathtrap stairs and all the way to the very far back of the house.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Lots of money in weathered/distressed lumber. Big market and plenty of companies that dismantle old houses and barns to repurpose the lumber in furniture and new “old” construction. Should be able to find someone to dismantle the place and send you a check.
You could sell it to Chip and Joanna for the Ship lap they like so much.

Sent Using Tapatalk

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
My cousin live on a farm in Indiana in the middle of nowhere. Growing up when we would visit they had a balcony off their bedroom and we would pee off of it at night versus going down the steepest flight of deathtrap stairs and all the way to the very far back of the house.
yep same thing there, day night doesn't matter

Tank

Reaction score
Meh, some paint and elbow greese....Good to go!!!

Water Romper

Reaction score
That place is AWESOME!! Look at the craftsman ship, the stair case hand rails, the front 5 sided window, the "sun porch" and the accent ceilings, don't see that anymore. Bet it even has a attic and cellar. This house cost bucks to make way back then.
I bet there is history there too, North Dakota country, built (probably) around the late 1890's a remodel in the 1900's, I would go over that property every inch and then hit it with a metal detector. Could be family heirlooms and/or history within the walls. Maybe even old money !
Not sure exactly where this is at but I would bet the Native Americans ( Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sioux, and Chippewa) were still running around back then. Railroad and Agriculture was becoming popular at the turn of the century. Lots of Germans made their way there, guess they couldn't find Wisconsin (haha) Not much in terms of Gold, Civil War or Under Ground Railroad history (To far north i guess) I bring this up because of the hauntings that were left behind in areas that had these "activities".
Of course, staying in that old creepy house gives me the jitters. I would have Zak and his Ghost Adventures crew come in for a night, you never know what goes bump in the night. Really a cool place, thanks for the pictures.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
That place is AWESOME!! Look at the craftsman ship, the stair case hand rails, the front 5 sided window, the "sun porch" and the accent ceilings, don't see that anymore. Bet it even has a attic and cellar. This house cost bucks to make way back then.
I bet there is history there too, North Dakota country, built (probably) around the late 1890's a remodel in the 1900's, I would go over that property every inch and then hit it with a metal detector. Could be family heirlooms and/or history within the walls. Maybe even old money !
Not sure exactly where this is at but I would bet the Native Americans ( Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sioux, and Chippewa) were still running around back then. Railroad and Agriculture was becoming popular at the turn of the century. Lots of Germans made their way there, guess they couldn't find Wisconsin (haha) Not much in terms of Gold, Civil War or Under Ground Railroad history (To far north i guess) I bring this up because of the hauntings that were left behind in areas that had these "activities".
Of course, staying in that old creepy house gives me the jitters. I would have Zak and his Ghost Adventures crew come in for a night, you never know what goes bump in the night. Really a cool place, thanks for the pictures.
Damn your good
Sioux where in this area
Back in the 50’s about 60’ from where the outhouse is in the trees they found remains of an Indian camp
Arrowheads plus stones that had been shaped

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Dan, I'm pretty sure those doors, widows and their hardware are worth some pretty good coin. People love that era style stuff.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Damn your good
Sioux where in this area
Back in the 50’s about 60’ from where the outhouse is in the trees they found remains of an Indian camp
Arrowheads plus stones that had been shaped
So why an Indian camp on/near that spot? Indians were no fools, they knew their land and knew what could provide for them. Probably water, game, nut bearing trees near by. If you see Sage brush in clumps - That's pay dirt for Indian history. Sage was used in many way by "most" tribes. Might want to contact local historians about the Indian artifacts HOWEVER, careful what you wish for, your land could be consumed by Indian tribal council or government historians that may try and take it for historical purposes. On the other hand, that area was so populated with the natives that they may not even bother. I would do some poking around in the local library for old land survey maps, pictures etc. If anything else, could be just the thrill of the hunt and not amount to anything.

As for the farm land, any chance of renting it to the local farmers for a % of the yearly harvest? Are they still producing agriculture in that area? I looked at the aerial picture and looks like pretty good/rich soil that's being tilled. You might be sitting on a nice little "Cash Cow"

Last edited:

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
My cousin is farming it, its going to stay in the family, but after looking over the house it needs to come down, or it will come down on its own, hopefully i can find someone interested in the lumber, even has some original stain glass windows, biggest problem is it is so far from anywhere, most of the other houses from around that era are gone

WYRD

Reaction score
Keep in mind probably lots of lead paint and lead solder in the stained glass in a house that age.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Like SocalDave said, some folks would be very interested in the hardware. Our house was built in the 1890s and we are always looking for door hinges and knobs to replace what has been replaced already. My wife would remove that staircase bannister with her bare hands. She hates that someone replaced the dark square Victorian era wood with regular midcentury oak.