WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So let’s say you want to buy a boat before summer

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What's astounding is how much new boat prices went up in the past 16-18 months. Especially 'Toons.
Due to availability we had to wait and in that time the boat we're interested in jumped $60K.
This. A buddies twin 400 tri-toon ran just great out there last year. Can’t imagine how bad it would be trying to get from bar to bar in a wakeboard boat out there on weekend.
Our Tige' 22R's handled the chop fine. It's the mostly flat bottom, converted from ski to wake boats that have the issues in the rough.
The dedicated to wakeboarding hull designs are good in the rough, it's just you're lucky to get to 45 MPH. 48 with the Bimini down even on a calm day.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@RiverDave I'm late to the party here, but I don't think there is a "do it all" boat that also fits the bill of easy entry / exit off the bow to the beach. At least, not when were talking about handling the waters of LOTO

Advantage 34' party cat would probably do it, that's a big bitch but you can still get on and off. Manhandling the boat in general is still gonna be a chore due to its size and weight (moving it around by hand in the water, moving it over so your buddy can beach, etc....) but as long as you have a crew of buddies with you it doesn't matter. My buddy has one and it's a pretty sweet setup for hauling the gang and mowing thru rough stuff, at least havasu's "rough stuff".

Maybe 2 "cheaper" boats is the way to go..... One big V for LOTO (hell....i'd look for a 30'+ cabin cruiser) , and a toon or deck for Havasu / Parker ?

pkbullet

Reaction score
Not west coast cool, but my neighbor has a Cobalt R7 and it checks a lot of boxes. Kids can surf and wakeboard safety, moderate speed and rough water capability. It has lots of room and easy to get in and out of.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Not west coast cool, but my neighbor has a Cobalt R7 and it checks a lot of boxes. Kids can surf and wakeboard safety, moderate speed and rough water capability. It has lots of room and easy to get in and out of.

Like ya said, they don’t have the cool factor like some others , but they are very well built boats. The wife wants a 26SD. It has the pickle fork bow. Carbon fiber reinforced hull and very nice rigging and interior. With a 380 LS, they run high 50’s and actually get 3mpg with the duo prop. Great all around family boats.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I hate to say it Dave but a CC is probably the worst boat for your situation right now (and I love performance cc’s). They’re really made to be stood in at the helm, yeah they’re bolsters and you can sit but I’ve never sat in one that wasn’t just a little off - too high, too low, not deep enough, not comfortable enough etc.

Getting on and off is gonna suck for you at the dock. Unless you get a side door and beaching? Forget it unless you want to swing to the back every time.

As much as I love em. Just not good with your situation.

I like to be on someone else’s pontoon when we’re beached and chillin. Not when we’re running and not towing it. Although that double decker thing is pretty rad!!! And there’s something that doesn’t sit right with me with every pontoon I’ve been on. Even the high dollar ones. They just seem super production. They remind me of an RV every time I’m on one. Just don’t seem to be built to last years.don’t get me wrong, They’re user friendly and fun and I get the allure. Not knocking ‘em I just wouldn’t own one and I think from knowing you fairly well, you’d be longing for something else if you owned one.

LOL quoting this for posterity @Tank :)

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
@RiverDave I'm late to the party here, but I don't think there is a "do it all" boat that also fits the bill of easy entry / exit off the bow to the beach. At least, not when were talking about handling the waters of LOTO

Advantage 34' party cat would probably do it, that's a big bitch but you can still get on and off. Manhandling the boat in general is still gonna be a chore due to its size and weight (moving it around by hand in the water, moving it over so your buddy can beach, etc....) but as long as you have a crew of buddies with you it doesn't matter. My buddy has one and it's a pretty sweet setup for hauling the gang and mowing thru rough stuff, at least havasu's "rough stuff".

Maybe 2 "cheaper" boats is the way to go..... One big V for LOTO (hell....i'd look for a 30'+ cabin cruiser) , and a toon or deck for Havasu / Parker ?

The above is good advice. Let’s say you were to get the 34’ Party Cat. If you install an after market Jetthruster, bow n stern thruster, it would be ridiculously easy to maneuver.

Here is an example......

DWC

Reaction score
sell me your eticket!

If i could find a 30’ish twin OB at a decent deal I’d do it in a second. Steph wasn’t on board until riding in the Nordic 35’. Think she’d let me pull the trigger now. No big deal either way. Going in for a refresh on the 525’s, repair the beach rash and tribal delete... soon?!

HavaToon

Reaction score
IMG_4836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here’s an idea......

Purchase a temporary boat for this summer. Then join my wife and I next January at Boot Düsseldorf. (April event just got cancelled) You can then buy a one of a kind Lake Havasu boat, that should be delivered in time for Desert Storm 2022. This would satisfy your need for a unique boat, that is a real head turner. There are too many to list, and the prices are lower than you think, compared to the US, especially if you add the motor or motors after shipping, so that the boat is EPA compliant. No big deal if it’s turn key either. Just a little more paperwork. Poland, Slovenia, and several other countries really produce high quality with an inexpensive labor force. They are actually ahead of a lot of the US builders when it comes to new technology. I see European boats everyday, some are just beautiful.

For those of you that don’t know........ Boot Düsseldorf is the worlds largest indoor boat show. Imagine 17 staples centers, side by side. It is also the place that worldwide manufacturers debut their latest products.

Dave, you would be showing the members here a whole new world of boating. Especially European Performance boating. It’s another world! Just saying.

Also..... if you decide to purchase a boat, I will arrange the shipping for you through DWT. I work for them as a delivery captain when the schedule brings them to Fort Lauderdale. Fun job!

You can also write off the trip as a business expense.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I would love to go in January!

Great.... we will work out the details later this year.

In the meantime, here is a video. The best video is actually on the Boot Düsseldorf site under motor boats, but this one will give a smidgeon of what it is like.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Great.... we will work out the details later this year.

In the meantime, here is a video. The best video is actually on the Boot Düsseldorf site under motor boats, but this one will give a smidgeon of what it is like.

gotta get together with Stacy and Val on the Bahamas run

hallett21

Reaction score
going to look at it right now.. they were pretty adamant no pics online yet..

Can you post some later?

Edit: nvm mind read that wrong
Lol

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
going to look at it right now.. they were pretty adamant no pics online yet..

Yep. Was talking to Brad and Kim about them last week. They sound bad ass I want to go to the shop and check them out.

Last edited:

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
gotta get together with Stacy and Val on the Bahamas run

After Desert Storm..... pick a long weekend, and we will take my present boat to Bimini or Grand Bahama. However, It will probably be Bimini, since I have a great waterfront place to stay, complete with dock, negative edge pool, and golf cart, walking distance to bar.

This video will give you an idea of what to expect..... (Welcome to my world!)

sirbob

Reaction score
Dave you can always call Travis again - He might still have that twin 300 you left him with ;)

I'd bet if he still has it you can get a great price from him in February in Michigan!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
It’s funny how boating priorities change.....

I am in the process of ordering a new boat. Here are my must have items:

Seakeeper 3 gyro
Zipwake Automated Trim System
Joystick Control
Jetthruster System (Bow n stern thruster on steroids)
Side Door
Fold down gunwale for more hang out space
Auto Pilot
Air Conditioning
Generator
400 mile range ( adding aux tank at build)

Dave.... The boat below is the boat you, Stacy, Val, and I are going to take to the Bahamas. I hope you like it. We love it so much, we are negotiating the build now. Sorry to hijack your thread, but after a few drinks, I figured a would show a peak at my new ride. What do you think?

You may as well see the inside too! (Edited in 2nd video)
Making a turn at speed from second story helm is quite the experience..... there's nothing quite like it. Be sure you put wife & lil ones down below. I freaked.... but like everything else I imagine folks get accustomed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave you can always call Travis again - He might still have that twin 300 you left him with ;)

I'd bet if he still has it you can get a great price from him in February in Michigan!

he sold it a long time ago. I tried to buy it a month or so ago before I sold my Hallett

RodnJen

Reaction score
After Desert Storm..... pick a long weekend, and we will take my present boat to Bimini or Grand Bahama. However, It will probably be Bimini, since I have a great waterfront place to stay, complete with dock, negative edge pool, and golf cart, walking distance to bar.

This video will give you an idea of what to expect..... (Welcome to my world!)

Great vid, thanks.

riverroyal

Reaction score
power boat listing.....Eticket in TX. Cheap!!! Road trip.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Dave I can't keep up do you still have the 270 or none?

Last edited:

Shane54

Reaction score
Dave, this could be a nice boat for the summer, will most likely hold it's value. It's probably priced a little high, but it's available now.

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
Making a turn at speed from second story helm is quite the experience..... there's nothing quite like it. Be sure you put wife & lil ones down below. I freaked.... but like everything else I imagine folks get accustomed.
Just did that with my customer that bought our Tiara 53 fly, its a weird feeling, needless to say it was great watching everyone grab something when we we cranked it, that boat is tall, you feel like your on top of the world.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, this could be a nice boat for the summer, will most likely hold it's value. It's probably priced a little high, but it's available now.

damn that is a nice ride right there! Not sure about that old Merc motor though

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Those old mers 525SC motors are very understressed, and simple . And a rebuild on the blower is cheap even if ya had to.

lavey jr

Reaction score
For those who are interested. I know Chris with LaveyCraft has a brand new 26 NuEra mid cabin open bow that’s about 80% complete. Ready to pick power, interior, trailer, and a few small options to be ready for the water.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score

The fly bridge inertia is at least predictable when going fast and turning. It’s the Snap-Roll that concerns me the most, especially while drifting. It is amazing how a rolling boat can completely fling you off of it. That is why the expensive Seakeeper 3 Gyro is worth every penny. The zipwake system will also do a great job of taking most of the roll out while on plane. But the Seakeeper and Zipwake combined should be awesome. I plan on watching Netflix movies on the flybridge while heading for the Bahamas, with the boat on autopilot.

Not too brag...... but I’ve got a ton of seat time in a huge variety of boats. Lots with flybridges. I am a delivery captain in south Florida and work with many different brokerages. I deliver and train, on new and used boats. I also do insurance evaluations, so that the insurance company feels good about insuring the guy with quad motors and no boating experience, which pretty much sums up Florida.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Just did that with my customer that bought our Tiara 53 fly, its a weird feeling, needless to say it was great watching everyone grab something when we we cranked it, that boat is tall, you feel like your on top of the world.
I had a couple 300 pounders up there with me.... we swore we were goin over

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
If I got a CC I have a better solution than that
I dunno but based on some of your post Im thinking your leaning towards a CC now.... perhaps your roots on the coast are calling you back to the big blue

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I dunno but based on some of your post Im thinking your leaning towards a CC now.... perhaps your roots on the coast are calling you back to the big blue

my biggest issue is my motorhome wouldn’t tow anything of real size in a CC..

I am keeping my options open for now.

hallett21

Reaction score
my biggest issue is my motorhome wouldn’t tow anything of real size in a CC..

I am keeping my options open for now.

What’s the tow rating?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Dave..... Your in luck! I found your next boat...... (kidding of course)

Here is a video review of the nameless boat. (You have to watch vid)

And here is a listing for one that is for sale in South Florida.

This thing doesn’t fulfill your needs as far as easy access, but you make up for it in style points!