WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

so, my trim pump has been getting water

John McGuinness

Reaction score
in the tank somehow. Wouldnt there be visible signs of oil leaking externally from a ram or hose, if there was a leak at that point?
Also, I have a somewhat low freeboard boat. Is it possible that water coming over the back of the boat and dripping onto the top of the tank cap could let enough water to get into the tank to make the oil milky? Since the cap has a vent in it.
Also also, when I push down on the tank, I can see the tank slightly moving away from the trim pump motor. Kinda like it is a wimpy seal. Is that normal for Bravo trim pumps? Seems like water dripping over the back of the boat might possibly enter there also.
I am going to tear into it more soon. Just wondering if anyone has had this dilemma.
Thanks!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Make sure you change out the fluid or the pump will freeze up. I had an incident involving lots of alcohol and a drain plug........anyway some water got in the back of the boat and the trim pump tank was submerged....contaminated the hydraulic fluid and the pump went out the next season.

Those caps aren't tight. Not sure why. maybe they'd collapse from the vacuum if they ran low on fluid???

I know you can buy different aftermarket tanks, with tight lids. If you don't have a line leak somewhere or a loose fitting, it might be worthwhile.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
in the tank somehow. Wouldnt there be visible signs of oil leaking externally from a ram or hose, if there was a leak at that point?
Also, I have a somewhat low freeboard boat. Is it possible that water coming over the back of the boat and dripping onto the top of the tank cap could let enough water to get into the tank to make the oil milky? Since the cap has a vent in it.
Also also, when I push down on the tank, I can see the tank slightly moving away from the trim pump motor. Kinda like it is a wimpy seal. Is that normal for Bravo trim pumps? Seems like water dripping over the back of the boat might possibly enter there also.
I am going to tear into it more soon. Just wondering if anyone has had this dilemma.
Thanks!

I'd check the part where the braided hoses go into the trim rams.. If one of them is slightly "leaky" it might not leak oil at rest, only under load, but it might let in some water. I've heard of the o-rings in the trim rams going bad, but it's never happened to me.

lyall turbosonics makes an aftermarket cap for the trim pump if you think that might be the issue. Primarily their solution is to keep oil from coming out of the pump in rough water, more then water getting in though. Never heard of water getting in that way before. (Not saying it isn't possible?)

RD