WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So They call me the Bully

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Actually I think everyone knows why Paul posted that - they are just now writing it here.... but they know.....

As for what is actually written, here is another prospective.....

I do not see Outboards "taking over".... there is a certain segment of the performance boating marketplace (Buyers) that will tolerate the complete lack of excitement you feel in a large air entrapment catamaran that is outboard powered (including the new 450 Boats) in exchange for a 5 year warranty and "gas and go" reliability.....

There is also a certain segment of the performance boating marketplace (Buyers) who want to have a 150 foot rooster tail, and 50% of the throttle left when they are running 100 mph and not needing 60 degree air temp or headed "the favorable way" (you Guys all know the favorable way, its the direction in the river that adds between 3 and 6 MPH of "fake speed" to your GPS on any given day in the River) to get the last 10 MPH out of the boat... not to mention the sound of 2 big blocks at 6000 RPM thru 6" tailpipes

You also have some center consoles that are Outboard Powered that run almost as fast as some of the larger Outboard Powered Air Entrapment Catamarans - and they have hard top sun protection, blenders and bathrooms....

And of course now we have a 28 foot DCB that ran 133 with 450's - with 1 person, a sip of gas, cold air and I suspect the "favorable direction in the river".... Someone should ask the "delivery expert" at DCB how fast that same boat ran with 3 people, some gas, a cooler and not in "best possible" direction in the river - I know the number, maybe ask him to tell us all?

And to all of you who are not "storking checks for new build outboards" good for you - let some Poser take the hit on price and then you buy then at a 40% discount with low hours...

Disclosure.... I have owned several premium brand large air entrapment multi engine Outboard boats, and several large air entrapment premium brand multi engine Inboard boats and have one right now.... so my opinion is not based upon speculation... it is reality

Also question... take a look on Offshore Only in the classified section... see how many Wright Performance 36 Ourtboard Boats and MTI 34 Ourboard Boats are for sale..... a massive amount.... DO you wonder why?, I dont - its because they are BOORING to run

I agree with most of your points. Personally I don't find it boring to cruise 90+ mph for 50+ miles at a time. I could own a twin big block but the service intervals, gas per trip, insurance, etc would not work for me as much as we use our boat(s). I honestly don't want to own a boat that goes 130+ mph. I've ridden in & driven several 130+ mph boats & enjoyed it. Maybe I'm getting old but things can get ugly VERY quickly at those speeds. Wife & i absolutely love our slow 103 mph 30' outboard Skater. We boat a lot of miles & our boat makes sense to us.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I'd sure like to see the other maintenance schedules.... View attachment 815851 View attachment 815853 View attachment 815854

Here it is.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rebuilt by Mercury Racing Technicians
  • Factory original parts
  • Choose either a new or a reconditioned long block
  • Qualified on Dyno – full power run and system check
  • Factory warranty on all purchased parts for non-competition (1100-1550) models
QC4V REFRESH & MAINTENANCE INTERVAL SCHEDULE
Model Refresh Time Maintenance Intervals (Hours)
Max Hours
Valve Lash Oil Change
860 300 100 50
1100 200 25/75^ 25
1350 200 25/75^ 25
Dual Cal 1350/1100 200 25/75^ 25
1550 25—100* 25/75^ 25
*Maximum hours for refresh at 1550 mode is 25 hours; a total of 100 hours when combined with 1350 mode run time.

^Recommended adjusting the valve lash after the first 25 hours and every 75

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Hey bully can we get the final number on the Nordic yet?
117 so far. Final not for a bit. Part of the fun....work in progress.
Haven’t been very focused on the number lately. Kinda tied up with other stuff.

You ready to write a check ? Let’s do a demo.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Here it is.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rebuilt by Mercury Racing Technicians
  • Factory original parts
  • Choose either a new or a reconditioned long block
  • Qualified on Dyno – full power run and system check
  • Factory warranty on all purchased parts for non-competition (1100-1550) models
QC4V REFRESH & MAINTENANCE INTERVAL SCHEDULE
Model Refresh Time Maintenance Intervals (Hours)
Max Hours
Valve Lash Oil Change
860 300 100 50
1100 200 25/75^ 25
1350 200 25/75^ 25
Dual Cal 1350/1100 200 25/75^ 25
1550 25—100* 25/75^ 25
*Maximum hours for refresh at 1550 mode is 25 hours; a total of 100 hours when combined with 1350 mode run time.

^Recommended adjusting the valve lash after the first 25 hours and every 75
What power is going in your skater?

700's?

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
So on mercs big stuff its pull the valve covers every 75? Change oil every 25? Damn.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
As to what I've seen with my own eyes.

Skater (was there last week) has probably 14-16 boats going. My guess is there are 3-4 that are outboards.

MTI- When we visited prior to ordering our Skater, Randy was insistent we order a 340X. He almost insinuated we are not making a good purchasing decision, by not buying an outboard.

As New to Boating states, and I agree, I am just not that buyer. I however hold no ill feeling towards an outboard powered cat. It's just not for me.

I asked Peter Hledin at lunch about this and just how big, he thinks outboards will go. His immediate answer was 700HP. even at that, I'm still not that buyer.
I get it.....I just run to many hours and miles for any inboard with a 1 year warranty to work for me.

attitude

Reaction score
I am an outboard guy myself but if I had the money to choose between a 34/39 MTI with 450s or a 48/52 MTI with 1350s I don’t think maintenance or warranty would be at the top of my checklist. I think outboards are your best bang for your buck but why buy a Tesla when you can afford a Bugatti or a Koenigsegg?

ramos45

Reaction score
The new Scarab line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey hey hold on there....I know you said the "new" line but my ears perk when I hear Scarab. ;)

Attachments

• IMAG0941.jpg
    IMAG0941.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 123

New to boating

Reaction score
Agreed. There are finally some 400 boats on the used market. And they sell as quickly as they hit the market. As long as they’re priced realistically.

I have a friend who just converted from a 30+ foot big power inboard to a twin outboard. He had to take a major hit to dump the unwanted inboard.

Cat manufacturer’s are building more than 5 outboards for every 1 inboard ! Wow !!!

That’ll be probably more like 10 to 1 as 450 and 500 hp outboard‘s become commonplace.

Trend ? Yep. Obviously the world has figured out that anything less than a 3 to 5 year warranty is a BAD decision.

As far as resale sure depending on how you buy you may or may not get hurt.

But one thing is for sure. You’ll be able to sell your silent outboard fishing boat motor boat much quicker than you can give away your car boat motor boat.
ALWAYS!!

I don’t know about anyone else. But it is a good feeling to know you have something people want. Rather than an unwanted dinosaur.

Actually they (larger outboard boats) do not sell "as soon as they hit the market" at all, in fact they sit, and sit and sit...... and do not trade (when they do sell) for anywhere near the prices listed because the Owners think that "what they have in it" actually relates to what they are worth....

The newer inboard powered boats are not a whole lot better - most of them have Merc Racing engines that are "timed out" (hors way past Mercury Racings published rebuild schedule) and the pricing of used will push the Buyer to new.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
Actually I think everyone knows why Paul posted that - they are just now writing it here.... but they know.....

As for what is actually written, here is another prospective.....

I do not see Outboards "taking over".... there is a certain segment of the performance boating marketplace (Buyers) that will tolerate the complete lack of excitement you feel in a large air entrapment catamaran that is outboard powered (including the new 450 Boats) in exchange for a 5 year warranty and "gas and go" reliability.....

There is also a certain segment of the performance boating marketplace (Buyers) who want to have a 150 foot rooster tail, and 50% of the throttle left when they are running 100 mph and not needing 60 degree air temp or headed "the favorable way" (you Guys all know the favorable way, its the direction in the river that adds between 3 and 6 MPH of "fake speed" to your GPS on any given day in the River) to get the last 10 MPH out of the boat... not to mention the sound of 2 big blocks at 6000 RPM thru 6" tailpipes

You also have some center consoles that are Outboard Powered that run almost as fast as some of the larger Outboard Powered Air Entrapment Catamarans - and they have hard top sun protection, blenders and bathrooms....

And of course now we have a 28 foot DCB that ran 133 with 450's - with 1 person, a sip of gas, cold air and I suspect the "favorable direction in the river".... Someone should ask the "delivery expert" at DCB how fast that same boat ran with 3 people, some gas, a cooler and not in "best possible" direction in the river - I know the number, maybe ask him to tell us all?

And to all of you who are not "storking checks for new build outboards" good for you - let some Poser take the hit on price and then you buy then at a 40% discount with low hours...

Disclosure.... I have owned several premium brand large air entrapment multi engine Outboard boats, and several large air entrapment premium brand multi engine Inboard boats and have one right now.... so my opinion is not based upon speculation... it is reality

Also question... take a look on Offshore Only in the classified section... see how many Wright Performance 36 Ourtboard Boats and MTI 34 Ourboard Boats are for sale..... a massive amount.... DO you wonder why?, I dont - its because they are BOORING to run

You are right in your segment about direction of river, weight ect, that does apply to inboards also. When boating on the river I ran up and down and just averaged the two to know my actual number. I also think the 4 stroke outboards don't suffer as bad as the 2 strokes do to said conditions so 10mph might be a stretch. Point being, inboards suffer from same conditions that have been stated so don't think anyone is misleading anyone. Of course boat builders are going to test in the best conditions they could possible before advertising a "top speed" that's the point isn't it?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I think this is opinion driven, but in general Skater, MTI, Mystic, Wright Performance

Not DCB, Nordic or Eliminator? Just East coast true tunnels? I’ve been in some Skaters that are pretty basic and not rigged very pretty. Wright is whored out like Ultra used to be. One guy lays it up. One guy does the interior. Another rigs it. Another sells it. Who warranties any of it?? That doesn’t say quality to me. That says home built. But that’s just my opinion.

New to boating

Reaction score
You are right in your segment about direction of river, weight ect, that does apply to inboards also. When boating on the river I ran up and down and just averaged the two to know my actual number. I also think the 4 stroke outboards don't suffer as bad as the 2 strokes do to said conditions so 10mph might be a stretch. Point being, inboards suffer from same conditions that have been stated so don't think anyone is misleading anyone. Of course boat builders are going to test in the best conditions they could possible before advertising a "top speed" that's the point isn't it?

I agree that the "Deception" regularly published relating to the "directional advantage" of the River applies to both inboard and outboard boats. The reason it does not matter as much for the faster inboard air entrapment catamarans is that those Owners are not looking for "another 2 MPH" to post on River Daves about their "top speed" and Outboard Guys fight for 2 MPH - I agree its about Top Speed but t should be AUTHENTIC top speed - if Artificial Top Speed enhanced by River current is acceptable then why not just leave the GPS on, trailer the boat down the road and PUBLISH THE ON THE TRAILER SPEED, pretending it was in the water speed?, which would essentially be the same deception

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying and you bring up good points.

I think though you have a misconception though about "all outboard owners" though. You have owned lot's of boats both inboard and outboard so you understand that squeezing out a couple of more mph on a outboard is waaaaay harder then an i/o. Example outboard guys especially on the newer stuff can't modify the motors and have to rely on a prop change or shaving weight or motor heights where on a i/o buy a stage three whipple kit for your 600 merc and you gained way over 100 hp. For outboard guys is was maximizing with the platform we have. If we gained 2 mph it was great because we did it with a. no hp mods and b. still did it with way less hp/tq as an i/o. There was also some fun in it if you are into that stuff which I am.

Mercury has finally put some attention to ob market and has reaped the benefits from it greatly last few years. Technology has advanced and as an outboard guy it's exciting to finally see them do that. It's not everyone's cup of tea I get it and I can weigh out the pro's and con's of both but in the end it's what pleases you and fits your needs.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying and you bring up good points.

I think though you have a misconception though about "all outboard owners" though. You have owned lot's of boats both inboard and outboard so you understand that squeezing out a couple of more mph on a outboard is waaaaay harder then an i/o. Example outboard guys especially on the newer stuff can't modify the motors and have to rely on a prop change or shaving weight or motor heights where on a i/o buy a stage three whipple kit for your 600 merc and you gained way over 100 hp. For outboard guys is was maximizing with the platform we have. If we gained 2 mph it was great because we did it with a. no hp mods and b. still did it with way less hp/tq as an i/o. There was also some fun in it if you are into that stuff which I am.

Mercury has finally put some attention to ob market and has reaped the benefits from it greatly last few years. Technology has advanced and as an outboard guy it's exciting to finally see them do that. It's not everyone's cup of tea I get it and I can weigh out the pro's and con's of both but in the end it's what pleases you and fits your needs.

I can't argue with one single point. I don't see I/O guys calling O/B's "Johnny come lately" as we are being addressed as dinosaurs that are on their way out. Or making "bad decisions" putting car motors in boats.

I understand the O/B segment and have zero problems, however the O/B guys seem to be mocking the large cat, I/O guys as uneducated dummies.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
Not DCB, Nordic or Eliminator? Just East coast true tunnels? I’ve been in some Skaters that are pretty basic and not rigged very pretty. Wright is whored out like Ultra used to be. One guy lays it up. One guy does the interior. Another rigs it. Another sells it. Who warranties any of it?? That doesn’t say quality to me. That says home built. But that’s just my opinion.

C'mon buddy comparing a Wright to a Ultra on a production level? :D

So Schiada's that have been rigged by:

Prime Marine
Gt Performace
Racey Industries
Concept Marine
Teaque Marine
Boostpower
ect... aren't quality builds?

You rigged the DCM and it came out awesome! I seen how much time you put into it being nice. I mean I hear you, there have been some "garaged" builds out there but easy to spot.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
I can't argue with one single point. I don't see I/O guys calling O/B's "Johnny come lately" as we are being addressed as dinosaurs that are on their way out. Or making "bad decisions" putting car motors in boats.

I understand the O/B segment and have zero problems, however the O/B guys seem to be mocking the large cat, I/O guys as uneducated dummies.

Totally understand and I wasn't saying that about I/O's. I think everyone has a different mission when it comes to boating and you build what fits your mission and makes you happy, which seems like what you are doing. Congrats on the build and look forward to seeing it come to life!

Outdrive1

Reaction score
C'mon buddy comparing a Wright to a Ultra on a production level? :D

So Schiada's that have been rigged by:

Prime Marine
Gt Performace
Racey Industries
Concept Marine
Teaque Marine
Boostpower
ect... aren't quality builds?

You rigged the DCM and it came out awesome! I seen how much time you put into it being nice. I mean I hear you, there have been some "garaged" builds out there but easy to spot.

I get it. More to prove a point. And real Schiadas rigged by Schiada command more money, plus they get the “blessing” from Lee when they are sold.

There are some nice Ultras, my point is to who built them, who warranties them? Who stands behind the build? If you buy a DCB you take it back to Tony if the LED lights don’t work in the interior. If you buy a Nordic you take it back to Nordic when the stitching separates in your back seat cushions the second trip out. You get my point. New to boating is saying the boats he listed are premium brands, because he thinks the hull design is better than a west coast hull design. I’m saying the build quality isn’t better than what the west coast guys are building.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
I get it. More to prove a point. And real Schiadas rigged by Schiada command more money, plus they get the “blessing” from Lee when they are sold.

There are some nice Ultras, my point is to who built them, who warranties them? Who stands behind the build? If you buy a DCB you take it back to Tony if the LED lights don’t work in the interior. If you buy a Nordic you take it back to Nordic when the stitching separates in your back seat cushions the second trip out. You get my point. New to boating is saying the boats he listed are premium brands, because he thinks the hull design is better than a west coast hull design. I’m saying the build quality isn’t better than what the west coast guys are building.

Yea I hear ya on that. I also agree, DCB, Nordic, Eliminator put out great products and build quality!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Love this thread let’s keep it going!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Yea I hear ya on that. I also agree, DCB, Nordic, Eliminator put out great products and build quality!

Without putting words in NTB's mouth, I believe he meant, boat manufacturers with a rich racing heritage. That's how I took it.

New to boating

Reaction score

New to boating

Reaction score

Without putting words in NTB's mouth, I believe he meant, boat manufacturers with a rich racing heritage. That's how I took it.

Pretty close - these are clearly the "highest performing" Performance Catamarans without question, power for power. DCB, Eliminator - not Catamarans, they are "Trimarans".

Nordic - what does a 43 Nordic weight compared to a 42 MTI for example?. How about a Nortec - what does a 36 Nortec weigh vs. a 36 Skater for example.

There is a reason that the brands I listed are widely accepted as "Premium Performane Catamarans" - if you are a "Poser" looking for MAX BLING they might not do it for you - if you are looking to be at the dock 10 minutes ahead of the next boat becuase the High Performance Catamaran you purchased (and told all your friend you had the fastest boat on Lake Havasu) was constructed to actually be the highest performing boat then you are goign to be looking at one of the Brands I listed if you do your homework and don't just buy "what the Guy at the Bar" told you was "bad ass"

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Pretty close - these are clearly the "highest performing" Performance Catamarans without question, power for power. DCB, Eliminator - not Catamarans, they are "Trimarans".

Nordic - what does a 43 Nordic weight compared to a 42 MTI for example?. How about a Nortec - what does a 36 Nortec weigh vs. a 36 Skater for example.

There is a reason that the brands I listed are widely accepted as "Premium Performane Catamarans" - if you are a "Poser" looking for MAX BLING they might not do it for you - if you are looking to be at the dock 10 minutes ahead of the next boat becuase the High Performance Catamaran you purchased (and told all your friend you had the fastest boat on Lake Havasu) was constructed to actually be the highest performing boat then you are goign to be looking at one of the Brands I listed if you do your homework and don't just buy "what the Guy at the Bar" told you was "bad ass"
I know you're new to boating, but why don't you go figure out why all these brands you seem to be promoting can't seem to stay sponsons down.

New to boating

Reaction score
I know you're new to boating, but why don't you go figure out why all these brands you seem to be promoting can't seem to stay sponsons down.

I'm not "promoting" anything. I don't care what you own (if you even own a boat) or what anyone buys. People make their choices based upon a variety of reasons, and the reasons are diverse but when we are talking about GOING FAST in general what people want to know is "how fast" and "which one is the fastest" - its the same question everyone gets that has a boat that looks fast, and it is the measure of how "good" your "Performance" boat is. The Premium Performance Boats I list are the fastest in the category PERIOD. They set and hold every meaningful record, in and outside of racing.

As for the reason why there are more incidents with these brands its pretty simple - because they are faster than the other Brands - and with that additional speed you run closer to the edge and sometimes over the edge..... uninformed armchair analyst's blame the equipment - which is almost never at fault unless there is a mechanical failure, which rarely causes accidents - its almost entirely operator error, either unskilled, running over their head or some other factor (like a Jet Ski that tries to kill you by running in front of you) or something else.

And the WORST accident EVER on Havasu that happened AT SPEED and caused MULTIPLE FATALITIES was NOT one of these Premium Brands I mention so obviously you do not have a good grasp on what is actually happening based upon your comments, but I accept that as what goes on here on this forum.

Buy a BAYLINER - likely safe at any speed .... and no one will ask you how fast it goes

Gelcoater

Reaction score

“Pleasure boat” is s matter of perspective.
It’s one of the great things about life.
Yours and mine don’t have to be the same.

My idea of a pleasure boat would most likely bore you to death, lol.
Your idea of pleasure would terrify the shit outa me:D

A different guy could have a 19 flatty with a blown Hemi that darts 1/2 mile down the lake at 118mph before the big pleasure cat even rolls over on plane.

Again it’s perspective.

It could be argued. The guy buying big race type cat who wants the boat to be 10 minutes ahead of his buddies.... isn’t that sorta a racing poser?

If it’s 38ft long, and seats 5...
No stabin cabin, no berth, no built in ice chest, not even carpet or hell, even access to the giant expanse under deck. That sorta sounds like a race boat to me.
But. Everyone’s perspective is different.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
[QUOTE="if you are a "Poser" looking for MAX BLING they might not do it for you"[/QUOTE]

Lol...:D:D

That whole last paragraph actually went well with coffee this morning.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
yep.

80 in the Miller makes people scream...80 in a 32’ Cat puts them to sleep.
Yep!
I’ve been 114 in a 22 Daytona, was faster than I really want to go for that distance.
Been in a 28 Daytona doing right at 100, was completely yawn inspiring.

In neither case was I driving, I don’t have the seat time or the talent, and I know it!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I like how Bully uses hyperbole in his stink bait.:D:p

I don’t think anyone here is going to dispute the fact that if a buyer is a big dog and is looking for maximum performance they will likely come away with a Skater, MTI, DCB or the similar, with big inboard power. That is just the recipe that works.

The OB boat is something else and is a niche for someone looking to get out in the water and have some trouble free goods times will driving faster than most but not necessarily looking to be the first guy to arrive at the dock.

I don’t think the OB will ever entirely replace the big inboard cats. There is always gonna be that big dog that wants to go 150 mph + and inboard power is what works for that.

There is a butt for every seat

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'm not "promoting" anything. I don't care what you own (if you even own a boat) or what anyone buys. People make their choices based upon a variety of reasons, and the reasons are diverse but when we are talking about GOING FAST in general what people want to know is "how fast" and "which one is the fastest" - its the same question everyone gets that has a boat that looks fast, and it is the measure of how "good" your "Performance" boat is. The Premium Performance Boats I list are the fastest in the category PERIOD. They set and hold every meaningful record, in and outside of racing.

As for the reason why there are more incidents with these brands its pretty simple - because they are faster than the other Brands - and with that additional speed you run closer to the edge and sometimes over the edge..... uninformed armchair analyst's blame the equipment - which is almost never at fault unless there is a mechanical failure, which rarely causes accidents - its almost entirely operator error, either unskilled, running over their head or some other factor (like a Jet Ski that tries to kill you by running in front of you) or something else.

And the WORST accident EVER on Havasu that happened AT SPEED and caused MULTIPLE FATALITIES was NOT one of these Premium Brands I mention so obviously you do not have a good grasp on what is actually happening based upon your comments, but I accept that as what goes on here on this forum.

Buy a BAYLINER - likely safe at any speed .... and no one will ask you how fast it goes
I really don't want to start bashing brands. I'll just make one last comment on this subject, I certainly don't take anything away from the success offshore brands have achieved in the ocean, but as an untrained observer, watching Greg Olsen in a 33' Eliminator @192mph at LOTTO basically riding flat, sure looked much safer than a lot of other boats nose high boats, inches from going over backwards and bouncing side to side in the 150 range.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

What a hypocrite. You complain earlier in the thread about manufacturers running downstream with zero fuel and 1 passenger. Yet you want to be the first guy back in the dock in a boat with no interior, no cabin, no stereo, 1 battery etc etc etc and you tell me that’s a premium brand because your “race”boat beat a pleasure boat back to the dock?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
The outboard niche fits a buyer like me. And I am a car-boat motor guy too. Lol

Sure I can afford a big inboard powered cat but I don’t want one. Sure they are excited but they are also dangerous. I just like my life the way it is and prefer to keep it.

I just looked at a DCB M31 with 700’s and thought what a beautiful boat. I also love those twin 700 BBC’s and the sound they make. What a great package. But I thought what am I gonna do with a boat that does almost 150 when I don’t even want to go 120. Lol. Plus the ongoing maintenance of supercharged outboard boats. No thanks

Anything over 100 mph is exciting enough. The OB appeals to those like me because we can get the right amount of performance for our needs in a nice reliable little package.

I think we are a good spot with the new OB power output now. IMHO the predecessor to today’s OB’s were a bit too small and underpowered. Now the new OB’s are just about right for medium size cats. Just enough performance to make them fun in the 120 mph range with turn key reliability. Still dangerous but manageable.

If someone wants to go faster that’s great, but realistically they are an adrenaline junky. I will spectate from afar and take pictures as those beautiful looking and sounding big dog cats pass me by.

Last edited:

DC-88

Reaction score
This whole thread re-affirms my fears that the river boater with the most practical performance, reliability, and bang for the buck may in reality be "that guy" on the tuned/flashed 80 + mph RXT sit down geared up in nothing more than an S.A neck gaiter, lanyard, cheap ski vest, and gay looking low cut wetsuit booties :D

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
As the Reverend of the Church, I see it like this.
Every boat from a 9 horse aluminum hull to a 4000 hp twin I/O are great boats. The key is GOING boating.
When you need to get out of the house, I sure as hell don’t want to go to the mall. I want to go boating in anything that runs and burn some fuel, and enjoy the view.
It really depends on where you live.
If I lived in Florida, I’d run offshore in 36’ center console....but I live on a mid size lake. All my boats are outboards. They fit the situation for me. Like a woman with shoes, there is the right shoe for every occasion.
As I get older, I’m finding a tri-toon has a lot to offer...
My point is, just get out there with friends...bring whatever. Naturally, I favor outboards because I appreciate the fact that a 300 hp Outboard is light , exceeds 100 mph easily, in most set ups..and are good value. I love bargain boating. My set ups are simple and fun, ranging from a 120 mph DBR to a 65 mph Daytona / ski boat. I love it when somebody drops a million dollars on a boat !! I get to see his dream boat and experience it vicariously....don’t need to own it, but when you look at what fills the docks at the Lake Powell Challenge, it is a visual you will never forget.
Truly, I love all boats, but what I really like is boating people. I have a great time ...EVERYTIME !! Even if I break down. My buddies are there for me and we go to dinner afterward.
Ronald Reagan said ,” don’t speak ill of another Republican “
We should never speak ill of another good boater, after-all , we are really doing it for the same reasons.
End of Sermon

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
As the Reverend of the Church, I see it like this.
Every boat from a 9 horse aluminum hull to a 4000 hp twin I/O are great boats. The key is GOING boating.
When you need to get out of the house, I sure as hell don’t want to go to the mall. I want to go boating in anything that runs and burn some fuel, and enjoy the view.
It really depends on where you live.
If I lived in Florida, I’d run offshore in 36’ center console....but I live on a mid size lake. All my boats are outboards. They fit the situation for me. Like a woman with shoes, there is the right shoe for every occasion.
As I get older, I’m finding a tri-toon has a lot to offer...
My point is, just get out there with friends...bring whatever. Naturally, I favor outboards because I appreciate the fact that a 300 hp Outboard is light , exceeds 100 mph easily, in most set ups..and are good value. I love bargain boating. My set ups are simple and fun, ranging from a 120 mph DBR to a 65 mph Daytona / ski boat. I love it when somebody drops a million dollars on a boat !! I get to see his dream boat and experience it vicariously....don’t need to own it, but when you look at what fills the docks at the Lake Powell Challenge, it is a visual you will never forget.
Truly, I love all boats, but what I really like is boating people. I have a great time ...EVERYTIME !! Even if I break down. My buddies are there for me and we go to dinner afterward.
Ronald Reagan said ,” don’t speak ill of another Republican “
We should never speak ill of another good boater, after-all , we are really doing it for the same reasons.
End of Sermon

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I think if our demographic simply looks at the current move by a couple "West Coast Manufacturers" to true cats, its is obvious to the most casual observer, that they have the performance advantage. If not, why does Nordic and now DCB have large, true cats? Can Eliminator be far behind?

Now if you look at manufacturing techniques and uses of materials, it will show further separation. I never got to see MTI's hull build process as its in Green Bay. But seeing Skaters use of Carbon Fiber, Balsa core, Kevlar and vacuum bagging, one begins to understand the price and time.

As NTB says, they are just faster hulls. I didn't make them that, Peter Hledin did that.

wzuber

Reaction score

Wright = home built...noted.:rolleyes:

New to boating

Reaction score
What a hypocrite. You complain earlier in the thread about manufacturers running downstream with zero fuel and 1 passenger. Yet you want to be the first guy back in the dock in a boat with no interior, no cabin, no stereo, 1 battery etc etc etc and you tell me that’s a premium brand because your “race”boat beat a pleasure boat back to the dock?

Just a suggestion here - maybe read what is writtten and the context within which is it written instead of making off the cuff comments that have no bearing, meaning or value in the overall thread-conversation... nevermind.......... I know Imm asking too much of you....

New to boating

Reaction score
I really don't want to start bashing brands. I'll just make one last comment on this subject, I certainly don't take anything away from the success offshore brands have achieved in the ocean, but as an untrained observer, watching Greg Olsen in a 33' Eliminator @192mph at LOTTO basically riding flat, sure looked much safer than a lot of other boats nose high boats, inches from going over backwards and bouncing side to side in the 150 range.

I agree about the Greg Olson 33 Daytona - that run was really impressive - what needs to me mentioned was that if I remember correctly he was running around 1600 HP per side in a very short boat and yes, Trimarans run very flat because they do not pack a lot of air and do not disburse the water the same way an air entrapment catamaran does.

Being more "sticky" to the water has its upside.... and also significant downside and crash rish under certain circraumtances

HitIt

Reaction score
This thread is getting awesome so I just wanted to leave my mark...

I have a slow boat. 60mph tops (downriver, tailwind). Never going to be able to afford a 100mph+ boat and dont really care.

When I am running 60 mph WFO and an outboard passes me at over 100mph, I smile. When a big power IO passes me at 100mph, I pitch a tent in my board shorts.