WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So, what happens when somebody dies.............

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
and there is NO surviving family ? I just got a call our landlord, that we've been renting our shop from for the past 28 years, was found dead today.
We had been "talking" about buying the building for the past 27 years. The guy was OLD 27 years ago, and always kept telling us we'd be the 1st to know when he was ready to sell the place. As far as we know he had no family left. I've been telling Mrs. Skyskier, WHEN the day comes, we're gonna have 30 days to pack up 28 years accumalation of merchandise, machinery, stock & fixtures.
We never had a "lease" for all the 28 years, just a handshake agreement and in all the 28 years he DID raise our rent 1 time 3 years ago from $850 a month up to $1,000, again, nothing in writing, just the handshake "deal"
$1,000 a month for the building we have is REDICULOUSY LOW, it SHOULD be going for upwards of $4k a month.

lebel409

Reaction score
The estate goes through probate, then auction the remaining assets, everyone gets their cut, then the heirs (if any) get the remainder.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Do you pay the taxes on your building? I would contact an estate attorney for some advice.

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
next of kin... but not sure what they do if that cant be established..

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Do you pay the taxes on your building? I would contact an estate attorney for some advice.

Just a flat rent,................NO triple net or ANY of that BS

C-2

Reaction score
As HM said, depends if there was a will or trust. PM his name and I can do a quick looksy to see how title is held on his properties (name/address please).

500bbc

Reaction score
Forgery?:rolleyes:

In the event of my untimely demise I hereby bequeath all of my worldly possessions
to my most excellent friend, tenant and adopted son, Skyskier.

Signed________The Dead Guy

Last edited:

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score

I've been teasing Mrs. Skyskier for years, telling her I think the old guy was "sweet" on her :eek: He'd come in the shop like clockwork on the 5th to collect the rent. IF Marilyn wasn't there, he'd say, "I'll come back",.............I'd tell him, "I can write you a check",........always the same, "I'll come back.

MAYBE he left a will an left her the place :hmm

500bbc

Reaction score
I've been teasing Mrs. Skyskier for years, telling her I think the old guy was "sweet" on her :eek: He'd come in the shop like clockwork on the 5th to collect the rent. IF Marilyn wasn't there, he'd say, "I'll come back",.............I'd tell him, "I can write you a check",........always the same, "I'll come back.

Weeeeeeeeelll maybe you need to look for will, legitimately.

Stranger things have happened. Maybe talk to an attorney and say he hinted around at a will and would you be able to find out about it?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

He moved the property into a trust - so a will should surface shortly.

Things maybe lookin up Denny! :)

I hope it works out for you.. Quadrupling your rent doesn't sound good at all.. :(

RD

lebel409

Reaction score
Heck, if it gets left to him, the taxes may be higher than the rent...

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Forgery?:rolleyes:

In the event of my untimely demise I hereby bequeath all of worldly processions
to my most excellent friend, tenant and adopted son, Skyskier.

Signed________The Dead Guy
I like it !.................:)

DLC

Reaction score
Didn’t you pre pay 6 years of rent in advance…..

lol

yes the thread old old old

so what happened? Did you get kicked to the curb

dspracing

Reaction score
I start reading this new and interesting thread, get the part where it says Mrs Skyskier, then check who made the thread, fawk it’s Skyskier, check the date, damnit, got me again.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
the Jewler we shared the shop with ended up buying the building, we were on the fence about going in on it, we had been there for 33 years an at our age, just couldn't see taking on that kinda finacial load, ....turns out we made the right decision, the picture framing business along with the photo restoration just took a huge dump.......people started buying "ready framed art" from like costco, target etc., I call it "space fillers", all from china !........shit, we couldn't buy the moulding to build the frames for what the pieces retailed for with the frame, print glass & matts, same with the photo restoration, so many "online" places that farmed it out to overseas sweat shops, and photoshop itself,..................we had a GREAT run !