WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So.....where might be a good place to live for 6 months out of the year over seas

nameisbond

Reaction score
If me Id do Cienfuegos Cuba. My brother lived there for about two years. So he's hooked up. He funded himself there by coming home and loading up on good to sell on the black market. Can get a private house there for $15 per day. Food even in government owned restaurants is cheap.

Reaction score
alaska....technically over the pacific ocean, and as a bonus they speak the same language.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Thailand.
Took the family there 8 yrs ago for 3 months.
Stayed away from the big cities and it was totally great.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

If you're not into an Asian experince, I'd start looking at Portugal.
Love Thailand myself but with what is happening there right now, traveling there is not an option. Their government is making up new rules daily and they are not making it easy to enter and stay in their country.

If they get their act together, I would definitely spend time there each year. We were there for almost the entire month of February this year-just beat Covid and it was the best vacation that we have ever taken. My wife was in the travel industry for twenty plus years and we have been to some amazing places but Thailand was on another level for us.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
alaska....technically over the pacific ocean, and as a bonus they speak the same language.

Alaska is absolutely amazing. Daylight all day is Awesome! More lakes than there are 7-11's here.

Most beautiful place I've even been to. And the people were the best part. So friendly. It was like being on a different planet.

petie6464

Reaction score
I went down the rabbit hole retiring abroad for cheap on Youtube. Lot's of funny stories of guys living like kings on just their SS checks in the Philippines, hooking up with young girls and living the life.

Very, very common. Actually pretty disgusting, most these old farts are to gross to get an American woman and many are just pain pedophiles.

I did meet a guy that was in his 60's married engineer worked for GD., retired kids, grandkids etc. One day wife of 40 years says "I'm done" and he finds himself living in a studio apartment overlooking the 605 freeway in El Monte CA.

Fast forward; He moves to the Flip, Married an over the hill Filipina that's 38 😆 moves to the Island of Palawan, and lives ok off 1/2 his retirement as the ex collects the rest.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I have heard good things about Panama....plus they do not get ANY hurricanes

Some countries will allow you to become a resident rather easily, and you can get a passport from the country as well. Panama is one of those countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
A few random Thailand pics

2C7C7C90-1677-47CE-814D-C3A46ABE2832.jpeg
62BCAB90-2361-41C7-8CD1-F2E6C5487DD4.jpeg
F0DA8983-4EDB-4981-8ACB-B68316DBD2BE.jpeg
1FC25F20-F1CE-4DBA-A8D1-5C8AE170205A.jpeg
EE908757-9FAD-4D25-A7D3-50D6ADF5F02F.jpeg
97752D52-E8C1-46E2-B4C1-9AB5970A0429.jpeg
8B375FF5-0664-45B3-998D-7139797EB98E.jpeg

The majority of our meals were $10-12 or less for two people. Getting around town or flying within Thailand is inexpensive. Local beers at street markets were less than $2 and booze is inexpensive as long as it is not top shelf.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I’d look at costs rica and Columbia.

I spent some time in Hong Kong, absolutely amazing place.. they cook everything in some kind of different oil though and the smell was awful.. I think I lost 15-20 lbs in the week or two I was there.. I’m not kidding that some of the restaurants were so bad just walking by them I threw up in the gutter. I suspect you’d eventually get used to it though.

Given your history with Chinese food I'm not surprised 😁 😁 😁 And my guess is you haven't spent any time in mainland China

As for Hong Kong, kiss that place goodbye especially if Trump loses because Hong Kong has been and is getting crushed by the CCP

Taboma

Reaction score

30 years ago I had a friend seriously considering relocating to Costa Rica, got me interested. He was sending me copies of the Tico Times, the American oriented CR newspaper which had a lot of articles and info regarding purchasing property and moving there.
Back then, the CR gov was far more lenient about what you could import or bring with you and not be charged taxes. As typically happens, greedy people were abusing the privilege by importing then re-selling and avoiding import taxes and duties. Property prices started climbing and within a few years, CR was not the great deal it had been.

I had a connection with a marina developer, they were developing some coastal houses with beautiful marinas in Costa Rica. A few years ago, he started sending me information on similar developments, but now located around the islands on the gulf side of Panama.

In the early 70's our Medium Boat company (LCM / Mike boats) was re-assigned from SE Asia, to Panama. In those days, it was like stepping back in time, with natives still inhabiting many of the islands. I was hoping to stick around for awhile and enjoy the amazing boating, but I wasn't there long before being re-assigned to Facility Engineers Germany.

If I were younger and my wife more willing, I'd for sure check Panama out. 👍

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I think it was on the way back from Costa Rica, we had a stop at the airport in Panama. Maybe it was just the way I look or something, I was getting real hard looks repeatedly there. I ordered a sandwich at Subway in my decent Spanglish and they seemed really pissed at me. Felt like they hated Americans for some reason. Almost felt like I was going to get shanked in the crowd...No clue why.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Pattaya City Thailand

Cheap housing, cheap food, cheap drink, cheap pussy!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I think it was on the way back from Costa Rica, we had a stop at the airport in Panama. Maybe it was just the way I look or something, I was getting real hard looks repeatedly there. I ordered a sandwich at Subway in my decent Spanglish and they seemed really pissed at me. Felt like they hated Americans for some reason. Almost felt like I was going to get shanked in the crowd...No clue why.

Did you say "I am Magic Mike biach" lol Thats odd but your gut was probably right

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Costa Rica has beautiful beaches, cheap living, nice people. Houses near the beach rent real cheap. I thought it would be kind of like Mexico, I was wrong. Locals were super proud and happy with their country. There was a place that rented SxS’s right at the beach, I thought what a great setup. Horseback riding on the beach, white water rafting, atv’s ,all kinds of fun stuff.
We went to: San Jose, Arenal, Monte verde and the place I would go to stay for a while , Punta Islita on the Guanacaste coast.

I’ve been a few places where it felt like they don’t like gringos/Americans. It felt like Costa Rican’s wanted tourists there to spend money obviously, but also wanted to show us how nice it is and the pride they have for their country. Never felt unsafe or like a target there with wife and 2 kids.
I’ve had the same exact experience. We’re taking the whole family back to Costa Rica for my wife’s 20th anniversary of her 20th birthday 😂

hallett21

Reaction score
A few random Thailand pics

View attachment 942451 View attachment 942452 View attachment 942453 View attachment 942454 View attachment 942455 View attachment 942456 View attachment 942457

The majority of our meals were $10-12 or less for two people. Getting around town or flying within Thailand is inexpensive. Local beers at street markets were less than $2 and booze is inexpensive as long as it is not top shelf.

Thailand is incredible. But their beer sucks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score

Well it would seem they hadn't read the sales brochure for the fancy new homes and marina. It clearly stated the locals were warm and welcoming, although it didn't specify exactly why 🤔 😂

framer1

Reaction score

Plus they use american money. Panama is a lot cheaper than Costa Rica. There are some beautiful woman there. A Lot of the Women are a mix of French and Panamanian (sp) and they are beautiful.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sounds like a place H20 Toie came up with.

It's pronounced North Umber Land. Very blue collar and rural.

I mean it isn't central America so there aren't exotic women everywhere in Bikinis, but the beer and whiskey is fantastic. :D

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I don't recall the name of it, but there is a mega beer garden in Bangkok that is the coolest thing ever. It's the size of a soccer stadium with a stage on one end for live music. Picnic style benches fill the field and there are food and beer vendors all around the edges. The beer comes out in these big glass pitchers with ice down a glass center and a spigot. Loved it!

8973bbc128f80029003e647be8f0aceb.jpg

KevinR

Reaction score
Croatia!

1,100 miles of incredible coastline on the east of the Adriatic Sea. Clean, tremendous food and wine. The Croats actually like Americans and are taught English in school.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Croatia!

1,100 miles of incredible coastline on the east of the Adriatic Sea. Clean, tremendous food and wine. The Croats actually like Americans and are taught English in school.

Some good BB leagues there I would guess. How is the cost of living there?

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree 100%.

I have been a craft beer drinker since about 1991. Thailand is a veritable wasteland for craft beer as their laws don’t allow the types of breweries that we enjoy.

Their local beers are Lagers and you can find some imported beers at expat owned bars/pubs.

In Koh Lanta I did find a local craft beer bar- all bottles, brewed in Vietnam and imported to Thailand to work around the Thai laws. It was a nice change after three weeks of Lagers.

38E66EF5-66F7-4D3E-83BD-AF888A8FD997.jpeg
DAD78DE3-A7D9-4EDF-B900-A67723D0BDAF.jpeg
027D9343-403B-4BD2-B96F-FD60CE50B54C.jpeg
50D29D5A-D5E0-48F9-A806-AC5893162185.jpeg
6D168F77-9F56-42C7-A537-D00756B90E30.jpeg

Jimmy

Reaction score
Australia [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

KevinR

Reaction score
Some good BB leagues there I would guess. How is the cost of living there?

Cannot say for certain, but when we were there 5 years ago we thought the pricing for all facets of the vacation were very good value.

I’m would imagine Thailand and other parts of SE Asia are way less.

Edit: Just found this fact.

Cost of living in Croatia is 21.15% lower than in United States (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in Croatia is, on average, 64.53% lower than in United States.

So I would imagine a lot lower than that for a SoCal comparison.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
It depends on what time of the year, but I would look into Eastern European areas to stay for a bit. I spent a week in Bratislava, Slovakia for business and really liked it. The people were friendly, everything was very affordable, and it was not touristy at all. There were old castles to tour, and a high emd meal for dinner seemed to cost arlund $30 usd if I remember correctky.

I really enjoy Germany for business travel, but honestly have now idea what housing costs there.

I thought that the dutch people were great when I spe t a week in Amsterdam, but that was 15 years ago and I have no idea what it is like now.

pronstar

Reaction score
One more thing to consider:
Try going to a few countries so you don’t spend more than 6 months in any one. This way you can avoid things like taxes, depending on where you go.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Put that RV on a barge and tow it around those small towns in Europe. You'll make the news every where you go. LOL

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I spent a week in Bratislava, Slovakia for business and really liked it.
Funny you mentioned Slovakia. I posted the same earlier. I found outside of Bratislava to be even cheaper, typical dinner was $7, beer $1.25. I loved the city though as well. Agree with your points. Cross the border to Czech Republic and the people were not as friendly. Odd.

pronstar

Reaction score
Reviving this a bit...I just started reading up on this guy’s recommendations for living abroad. Worth a look if you’re considering it [emoji106]

IMG_5882.PNG

spectras only

Reaction score
One thing to consider, you'll never blend in with the folks either in Asia or Central and South America, being an American.
You'd build social contacts faster in any European country you choose. I've spent time in Croatia and Italy, Split would be my choice, great weather there and one of the most beautiful women in the world in all age brackets, to find. 🤔 What is even better, it's close start checking out other countries while you live there. Slovenia where Melania is from, also have beautiful cities on the Adriatic, close to hop to Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I escaped to Italy through Koper in 1970 and spent a month in Trieste Italy. You could do a lot of travel in Italy from there, lots to see.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Did you tell them you know RD? I hear it seems to work for lot's of people