WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

D

boatnam2

Reaction score
I think I might, should of dumped my international asap but stuck with it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My FCAU is down big but it is because for every 10 shares of FCAU a/o today you now have 1 share of RACE Ferrari. That's nice to know I am a stockholder....as long as they make money....lol

I would suggest buying into underperforming blue chips that pay dividends and hold long term. I don't play the day trader game but I know some here do. A volatile market up or down provides opportunities.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I like the way you think dilligaf, pretty much what i did just added to my blue chips.

Thanks.....

Many years ago I was playing all the crazy stocks and so forth. Sometimes you yell YAHTZEE but many times you screamed....SHIT! lol

Its a marathon and not a sprint :)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Most of my existing positions are cash-equivalents from when Putin was rattling cages, and I'm still there. I don't want volatility because I need a down payment for a house.

But my new money is buying stocks on sale right now.

No one can time the market perfectly, so I just buy dividend-paying stocks as DILLIGAF mentions.

And I'm still hoarding silver and silver Eagles :)

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
I don't mean to oversimplify a very complex market but the old saying holds true, BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH! Meaning days like today are days you should be buying. The key as I see it to buy incrementally. Meaning don't jump in all at once. Buy incrementally each time you see an opportunity. Aka today. Aka Apple based on the bad press. Aka Volkswagen based on emissions issue. Aka chipotle based on the bad press around food poisoning.
That is just my take. It has worked for me over the years but it surely is not fool proof.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
bought some smith and wesson and also some volkswagen.

not a huge sum but is an interesting bet none the less.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Picked up a couple hundred shares of Ford. That brings the total on that stock up to around 12000 shares.

boatnam2

Reaction score
One of these day Im going to jump in on the FANG bang, just too high end for my smaller portfolio, well FB and NFLX ISN'T but Amzn and Google are.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
bought some smith and wesson and also some volkswagen.

not a huge sum but is an interesting bet none the less.

Very smart buy!!!

Gold may be a good bet too. Real Estate pricing at or near 2006/7, stock market very high, gold may take off again when things start to tank. It amy be a year or so before that happens though.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The price ratio of silver to gold is at somewhat historic levels, silver is dirt cheap right now. Something to think about...

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Buy Buy Buy. I love days like today.

GRADS

Reaction score
GWPH is one I will be buying tomorrow.Plan on keeping it until about July at a minimum.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
What do you guys think about BBEP. It's a oil company with its stock price in the gutter. Oil will come back it's just a matter of when and how much. I have never bought stock before, opinions?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
SWHC +11% so far today... Win! :)

SCORE!

nice to make a bet and have it pay off. reminds me of the go pro stock ipo. rode that train to the top then dumped it....

:thumbsup

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Look out below. Futures are down almost 300 points. Ever since those Paris terrorist attacks I reallocated all my investments to really conservative holdings (bonds and cash). That turned out to be a good decision. I'm gonna sit tight for a while. I used to day trade but now I'm being more patient. These ups and downs can be brutal.

I did buy some CMRX at $7 a couple of weeks ago. That's been doing well.

zhandfull

Reaction score
What do you guys think about BBEP. It's a oil company with its stock price in the gutter. Oil will come back it's just a matter of when and how much. I have never bought stock before, opinions?

If the company goes bankrupt before oils comeback how much will the stock be worth is the question you have to ask yourself.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I bought Smart and Final, and will hold for a long spell.
They are improving and expanding and well managed.

Traded under Fart and Smile. :D

hungrybb

Reaction score
If the company goes bankrupt before oils comeback how much will the stock be worth is the question you have to ask yourself.

True, imho, we have yet to see the final bankrupcies in the energy space. PXD just did a secondary @117 and upsized the deal

Oil names ( I own PE and AMLP) : AMLP PE CPE PXD FANG RSPP PDCE EOG MTDR COP APA APC XEC OXY
These are my focused Oil and Gas Expl & Prod - Imho stay within the Permian

It's really important to for investors to have a risk/reward plan in place prior to entering the trade. There are reasons for the saying - The Trend is your friend.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
I don't even want to look at my stocks right now.... Just recovered from Sept, and now this? Yea not good... Worst part is I had just invested back in August now I just have to ride it out.

GRADS

Reaction score
Look at my RLTR today that I previously mentioned in another thread.:yikes I have a million shares.:lmao

FullSizeRender 47.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
There is nothing to fear but fear itself. :) It's really tough to time the market.

Your investment horizon should dictate your total investment diversification. The closer you get to retirement the more cash and bonds you want to hold. I got burned on the dotcom bust in '00 and again in '07 but I have recovered and am still chugging along with 5-8% avg annual gains. Nothing to boast about but IMO it's the slow and steady turtle that wins the race.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I'm backing out of the market in 2016, started in 2015. There is always money to be made in the market, good times and bad. The thing about the market is the word "IF". Right now, in this time in my life, the if is, if I take all my money out and reinvest it in a new direction away from the market, I'll still have that money for the rest of my life. So to answer the question, I no longer want my balls in the market.:thumbsup

GRADS

Reaction score
Still going.:thumbsup

FullSizeRender 48.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
still going.

FullSizeRender 50.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
Never catch a falling knife. That being said, AAPL RSI under 30 shows it ripe for the picking (pun intended).

TBulger

Reaction score
Good luck to you guy's. I've always been one of many that believes the money has to keep going in, so no worries, not so much any more. :)

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
My timing was a bit off on this. I had the balls to buy in but it has dropped quite a bit more than I would have anticipated. ouch.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
My timing was a bit off on this. I had the balls to buy in but it has dropped quite a bit more than I would have anticipated. ouch.

That's the falling knife part that rvrrun mentioned. :( Bummer...

WMT is starting to look really attractive at near 52 week lows. Noticed an uptick today.
Dividends have reported to be up also to 3%

Singleton

Reaction score
Moved things around and agreed to take on more risk with a % of my investments. The % I moved is earmarked long term (30 years out), so not worried if it goes down, but needs to be up in 30 years.

My investment account is broken into categories of return, 5 years / 10 years / 20 years / 30 years and 40 years. Risk is greater based on years out.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Moved things around and agreed to take on more risk with a % of my investments. The % I moved is earmarked long term (30 years out), so not worried if it goes down, but needs to be up in 30 years.

My investment account is broken into categories of return, 5 years / 10 years / 20 years / 30 years and 40 years. Risk is greater based on years out.

Ahhhhh.....someone with a strategy. :)

boatnam2

Reaction score
That's the falling knife part that rvrrun mentioned. :( Bummer...

WMT is starting to look really attractive at near 52 week lows. Noticed an uptick today.
Dividends have reported to be up also to 3%

I have been sitting on WMT for a little while, thinking its time to dump it today.

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I caught the falling knife today....right in the center of my chest.:grumble:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I have been sitting on WMT for a little while, thinking its time to dump it today.

Personally, I would just sit on it. It's getting some attention with the market analysts today.
Unless you know a stock thats a better pic.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Personally, I would just sit on it. It's getting some attention with the market analysts today.
Unless you know a stock thats a better pic.

Not many good ones that is for sure, i will keep a eye on it....

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Funny, all the reports after Yellen increased interest rates said the stock market was going to decline. It also said real estate prices would decline as well. I guess they were right.

I watched 'The Big Short' last night. Brought back memories. It also intrigued me as to the near (2year) future.

What is next? What is going to be the next big hit...technology, real estate are more or less going to be more stagnant. What say you?

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Funny, all the reports after Yellen increased interest rates said the stock market was going to decline. It also said real estate prices would decline as well. I guess they were right.

I watched 'The Big Short' last night. Brought back memories. It also intrigued me as to the near (2year) future.

What is next? What is going to be the next big hit...technology, real estate are more or less going to be more stagnant. What say you?

Just about everything. :thumbsdown

With rates at zero, the central banks will be of no help, except to seize portions of your accounts. :yikes

GRADS

Reaction score
Is that due to the colonoscopy or the market? :D

The colonoscopy is Monday and that's a falling knife up the ass. :eek:grumble:

Although I don't know what's worse right now, this market or an anal probe.

I guess we'll see what happens when the China market opens up here shortly.