WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So Who's Going to be Up All Night?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
AAF6BBD3-7FEC-4BF7-8E40-8875337EBA36.jpeg

Drank too much wine this evening. Went on a nod and now am up all night again.

Wife's on days off and she just rose from a fifteen and a half hour sleep. Cat's on her cat bed on the piano just out of reach of the dogs affections. Cat tree stands ready next to the piano in case of the need for an emergency escape.

Funny household we live in, everyone showers late at night or the early, early mornings.
We still have a tank type water heater. In the silence of the late night/early morning we can hear the heating water in the tank flashing into steam with it's loud pops cracking out in the garage.

So I load the dishwasher, change the trash bag and put on Netflix. Direct TV is 300 channels with nothing on. No, more like 350 channels and absolutely nothing of intelligent interest on.

I look out the window and see folks passing by in the darkness walking their dogs at 1AM.
One girl runs by with 6 Greyhounds she rescued running alongside her. Other girl across the street walking one of those big Clifford kinda dogs but black of course, not blue like in the cartoons passes by with a flashlight.

It's 45F outside and seems much colder. Damp chill I guess.

No coffee run tonight for the 24 hr donut joints are just too miserable to visit.
Wish we had chains with better coffee than Starbucks around here.

We'll some times head to Disneyland in the early AM and park way before the Park opens.
They open up their coffee and breakfast spots for early risers like us and international hotel guests on way different time schedules.

We'll stroll around the beautiful resort area as the sun rises. The question people ask us is "where did you get that [non starbucks] coffee?"

Only a few non-Starbucks coffee spots in the resort left. Seems Starbucks it taking it all over. Their is still a non Starbucks coffee cart with a college age girl manning it.

She's dressed in a late 1800's style starched and pressed Harvey Girls kinda costume with the grandma apron, wearing tart-by-the-book makeup who's vending coffee in a little semi-hidden location. She's been up since 2:30 AM. Has to be at her first college class of the day by 9:00 AM.

Starbucks took over one of the most excellent Disney Bakeries too. Sad. Replaced the unique and amazing fresh baked pastries with those pre-frozen-then-nuked items one finds at their locations around the country.
Changing times.

Last edited:

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
I’m up with you, nobody stirring outside my house So. County is sleeping except me!

Reactions: TPC

ssc

Reaction score
I don’t sleep well due to recent health issues. The cat likes it as she hangs out with me and gets her ears scratched. Seems like I watch various sitcoms all night.

Cheers, Steve

LC925

Reaction score
Ha, my water heater sounds like popcorn in the micro at times. I know i need to change it but just haven't gotten around to it.

But yeah, I'm up with you'll...

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Was this some kind of subliminal coffee post ? Lol
I hear all kinds of stuff in the wee hours of the morning. Frig turn on freezer turn on .The days back pain pills last till about 1:30 am so ill lay there till I can't take it anymore and try and stretch . We live out in the country and have some really loud owls or packs of coyotes making noise. The one sound it took me forever to find was the under sink water heater in the kitchen , little gurgling sound. Took a month to find that sound and I'm the one who put it in.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I can never sleep the night before concrete pour.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The damn cable box whirrs all night long. It must be sending all my personal info back to headquarters.

I have to run a fan or white noise machine. I hear everything...ugh.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The damn cable box whirrs all night long. It must be sending all my personal info back to headquarters.

I have to run a fan or white noise machine. I hear everything...ugh.

Yeah I run an air purifier and another fan at night...I have slight tinnitus and the sound of silence is deafening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nordie

Reaction score
I can never sleep the night before concrete pour.

My sunday nights I can't sleep as I am planning my work week. I'm not an owner like you, I'm just a General Foreman, but Sunday's are always my worst night sleep.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
CBD...back to sleeping all night again. No waking up in the middle of the night trying to solve the worlds problems.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My sunday nights I can't sleep as I am planning my work week. I'm not an owner like you, I'm just a General Foreman, but Sunday's are always my worst night sleep.
Came up short 2 yards. I asked the driver if that was 10 yards. Yes you must of measured wrong. Give me the ticket from the plant. Ok. Oh guess it was only 8 yards the plant must of screwed up. No wonder I can't sleep. Going to bring me 12 tomorrow not paying the short load fee.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Maybe all that caffeine in your system is upsetting your ability to sleep. I know, nobody's about to give up their precious coffee....:rolleyes:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I never adjusted to “graveyard” shift.
Wife has worked “don’t call it graveyard” morning shift her whole career. She’s a natural.

Oncology aka specialty cancer nurse her nights are busy.
Can’t cat nap nor take shortcut methods, everything by the book.
The kid doctors are very reliant on the experienced nurses. Not like what you see in Hollywood TV shows. Especially at a University teaching hospital.

Many famous patients and she has to keep everyone's situations private. Our conversations never mention names. She knows what a blabbermouth I am.
I mentioned before, a famous (to some) rapper arrived from a different hospital who’s infection is so tragic he’s lost his limbs and lower body before arrival. Nurses suit-up and scrub going in and back out of his room. He’s brutally obnoxious and rude to his visitors and the nursing staff except my wife. His condition is horrendous, I’ll spare you all the details.

Soft spoken, compassionate and kind, never had a bad day in her life, my wife disarms even the worst out there.

Makes me remember, or vaguely remember, one Twilight Zone episode where a mean and cantankerous old wealthy guy held crushing control over his wife. She wasn’t allowed to do anything. Just dress prim and stay in the home. No social life, no nights out, nothing.

Well, the old buzzard died and had arranged a University to remove and connect his brain to a computer, wave graph screen and a camera for him to still see.

His wife came into the University laboratory to visit with a low cut sexy dress, stiletto heels, wearing expensive jewelry, slurring drunk with a cocktail in her hand and blew cigarette smoke into the camera lens.
The computer went crazy. Ballistic.

Then Rod Serling appears with a closing metaphor.